Today I learned a lesson: video cards hate being bumped around and subjected to extreme temperature changes while mounted on a motherboard.

Need an upgrade to my 2y/o 7950 with over 35,000 flight mileage, suffering from either damaged vram or vrm and currently surviving undervolted and underclocked (and still able to run games fairly smoothly).

I'm looking at an R9 290x, anybody have better ideas to talk me out of my madness? No budget yet, money be damned.

Isolated the problem to the vram, since the artifacts and crashing only occurs when the card flushes its memory (Furmark runs fine, Haven makes the card shit brix).

Putting money back into the equation now that I'm somewhat satisfied knowing what went wrong, I'm contemplating between the 280 (which is essentially a 7950), the 290 and the 290X. Given the minor performance increase the 290X has over the 290, I'm juggling whether or not it's worth a $200 premium. Putting into consideration that my 7950 handled everything I threw at it with flying colors, the 280 replacement doesn't seem like a bad idea either at $200 less than the 290.

Decisions decisions...

Go for the R9 290. It's only 10% slower than the X version but it's at least 20% cheaper. I can put up benchies for you later to prove it. Do not buy a reference cooler version as it sounds like a hairdryer.

If you want ATI, they should soon announce new graphics cards. They already sell recently announced R9 285 but that's not nearly being R9 290X level gpu. I would wait for further announcements and price drops on older graphics cards.But as far as I know they aren't going to make a new enthusiast level gpu untill 20nm (that's 2015) so yeah... Maybe the 285X will = R9 290 because of new architecture but I don't think so, remembering their "new" architectures on CPUs that give massive 3% increase.

R9 290X is a good choice, not much to add.

I'm planning to get myself a pair of 290's, especially since they are dirt cheap on ebay for 200-250$ (used ofc) - that's two 290's for one 290X and that's really the only reason to go for 290 over 290X. (budget? - get a 290, if no budget and want performance - 290X)

Btw R9 290/290X get really hot, and don't hold even their stock 1ghz because of temperatures with ref cooler, so I would recommend getting one with proper cooler or even watercool it (maybe you can also consider "The Red Mod" if you don't feel like buying a waterblock and all that stuff)

Nvidia will reveal the new 2nd gen maxwell architecture in two weeks and start to sell new graphics cards from the end of September/ eary October. That will also cause price drops and probably is worth waiting another month(?) to see if they will release something proper. 

Better to not buy a top of the line brand Graphics Card. You should get a R9 290/285 or a GTX 770. The performance gains when moving up the line slowly decreases. The best performance for budget would be the GTX 760 for example.

GTX 780. My current AMD card went kaput. So for the moment I'm playing the game with integrated graphics. T_T

Will get the 780 or at least 770 when my budget comes in.

If you wanna go with AMD, get the 290.

This is basically where I'm sitting at right now

280: $200

290: $400

290X: $600

tsk tsk...

I paid $360 for a used 7970... in June, 2012. Not terribly impressed with the market right now.

Just for reference for the OP. I run a single non-overclocked Sapphire Vapour X 7970 Ghz edition GPU and my screen is 2540x1600. I can run tanks at max settings and my fps is between 45-60 with no issues. If you are running at 1080p any card from the mid range up will run tenks gud.

Sperged.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171410890136

Wish me luck, hoping it won't die in 2 years (again). I have a terrible history of killing video cards in my possession.

Good choice.  I recently upgraded after having run that card since April because it's wtfugly (seriously, who the hell uses orange on a GPU???) and a foot long.  My new MSI 780ti isn't a huge performance boost, but it's a little bit smaller, runs cooler, and looks sexy as hell in my rig.

Just for reference for the OP. I run a single non-overclocked Sapphire Vapour X 7970 Ghz edition GPU and my screen is 2540x1600. I can run tanks at max settings and my fps is between 45-60 with no issues. If you are running at 1080p any card from the mid range up will run tenks gud.

I find that somewhat hard to belive. Sure with some setting turned down a bit, but not everything maxed.

Nice choice, even though I hate the new colors by Sapphire. They used to make very sleek cards.

Don't really care about the colors too much since I won't be staring at it. Performance > looks any time.

I paid $360 for a used 7970... in June, 2012. Not terribly impressed with the market right now.

The Bitcoin fad just never dies, even with dedicated mining chips floating around now.

I find that somewhat hard to belive. Sure with some setting turned down a bit, but not everything maxed.

It depends on the map and what you are looking at. WoT is horribly unoptimized that even my 7950 sometimes drop below 50fps on 1920*1080, but average 100+fps when I'm staring elsewhere.

Well used 7950s cost about $100 these days.  Fact is if they haven't fried yet, they will probably hold out fine so long as you run it stock.

If I was gonna buy a new card, it would definitely be a R9 285.

Well used 7950s cost about $100 these days. Fact is if they haven't fried yet, they will probably hold out fine so long as you run it stock.

Where's the fun in running stock clocks?

Excuse me? What is it you find hard to believe?,and what exactly would I get for bullshitting? My screen res is 2540x1600 everything is at max! Stuff like AA is off as it doesn't really do anything at higher res's anyway,but all other settings are MAX!  I turn Vsync on as there is no point running over 60fps when the screen refresh rate is 60Hz,all your doing then is burning out your GPU for nothing.....