dirtd0g

New WoTLabs Subspecies or Where Do Us Teals Go?

Since I started paying attention to my own performance WoT skill metrics basically divided players into two groups. There were the "blurples" and the "greens". Yes, I understand those of you who are turning different shades of "blurple" have further divisions for yourselves; but to those of us who stand agape and in awe of your royal hues, it makes little difference.

Since the most recent color category update a new and wonderful palate has been added and shifted. While I have some reservations with red now being the "average", I understand the reasoning...

So we still have tomatoes, apricots, and lemons. The fiery hues of improvement are clearly defined. We now have a couple of green shades; above-average and above above-average... Makes sense.

This teal, however... It's nice. Makes me feel good about myself. Sure, I'm not blue... Will take another 6k games or so to get there, too! But, I'm above even the darkest green. I have crossed some (possibly arbitrary) barrier and transcended the mere "adequate" rating I had as a green. 

My question to the population is how do YOU see us teals? Are we more blue or more green? When you see someone with an 1800 WN8 in a pub, do you dismiss him as just another average pubbie, or do you begin to approach his potential abilities as you would a blueish player? What do you expect from me? Can you count on me to hold my own? Do you think I can take care of that flank? Do you trust me to reset cap in time? 

I often see unicum looking for "other purples" to play with, but sometimes tagging an almost flippant, "but a blunicum will do in a pinch" on the end... Is teal too low to stoop? Are we mutated greens or misshapen blues? 

I feel as if pure greens can be afraid to approach a teal but as a teal I feel a bit hesitant to assume my abilities will be trusted by anyone "better".

Fitting considering I am in LIMBO... We're recruiting experienced tournament callers and players, BTW.

TL;DR - What does it mean to be teal?

I feel that the color teal represents rising star, someone who is learning more and more. It's the gateway from play 4 fun to statpadder good player. That is what I feel for people with recent teal. 

I'd say that there's a big difference between a 2K WN8, 1800 WN8 and 1600 WN8 recent player, not quite so much as between 1100 and 1300, but still noticeable. They will generally return to base, but often somewhat too late, and will derp more often due to a mindset of "this is my role, I must accomplish, don't screw up by doing something different". In any case, I think that overall means jack ****. Behind_The_Shadows clearly didn't agree though :(

I'd do the opposite

The more games you have, the longer it takes for you to get your overall up

If you were terrible for years and then suddenly started playing like a purple, your overall would take forever to catch up

With low games played players, their overall and their recent are basically the same thing

signature.png

signature.png

Does it (or did it?) look like Cool_Man is/was as good as PityFool in-game? No, not by a long shot. Is he as good in actuality? Oh yes, perhaps even better (differences in recent W/R and WN8 too small to be considered truly relevant).

What I would find to be really funny is if Cool came back, and suddenly started doing 4K WN8/70% winrate. With that xvm camo, it would be amusing to watch the faces of enemies after the battle go "wtf? is xvm broken?".

I feel that the color teal represents rising star, someone who is learning more and more. It's the gateway from play 4 fun to statpadder good player. That is what I feel for people with recent teal. 

+1

Teals have understood the underlying mechanics and put them to use. What they are struggling with is consistency and experience, but which will follow after some time.

However, you need to take into regard also the number of games played.

I'd consider a 5k game teal more dangerous than a 20k game teal - taking recents not into consideration, that is.

I'd consider a 5k game teal more dangerous than a 20k game teal - taking recents not into consideration, that is.

I agree... Acutally, overall in-game yellows with 20k battles scare the crap out of me because I have NO idea how well they are playing now. I have seen too many players with mediocre overalls playing at an extremely high level recently... I saw one of ours drop into JIMBO with overall yellows and barely blue recents hit over 3k recent within a month. 

That XVM camo, though... So jelly.

As far as teals go, however, I agree with Patient0

...teal represents rising star, someone who is learning more and more...

Even though I would like to focus on overall. It seems to me that breaking the teal barrier is done by players who aren't stagnating. I very rarely see veterans (>5k games) with teal overalls AND less than blurple recent stats. I am used to seeing stagnation in greens and below, but to me the teal is an indication of active and continuous improvement. 

Grelue?

Bleen?

I'd do the opposite

If you were terrible for years and then suddenly started playing like a purple, your overall would take forever to catch up

With low games played players, their overall and their recent are basically the same thing

That's inspiring.

Now I can go back to not really improving but still raging on bad players.

I actually got warm fuzzies reading this.

There is hope for terribads like me.

Teal 4 lyfe!

TEAM TEAL!!

Kinda' trure, though...

Greens need to move through here to get the blurple... 

But. We. Aren't. Blurple.

This is why lemons with 20k games scare the absolute shit out of me... You just never know. I think, however, a newer player who hits teal earlier than I did (which SHOULDN'T be hard) has the potential to attain a much blurpler overall than my own a lot sooner.

I had to Google "Teal" seriously...  how did you even name that color? Pro color knowledge there. GJ.

Do people actually look at the colors or at actual numbers and just use the colors for quick reference?

I'd say that there's a big difference between a 2K WN8, 1800 WN8 and 1600 WN8 recent player, not quite so much as between 1100 and 1300, but still noticeable. They will generally return to base, but often somewhat too late, and will derp more often due to a mindset of "this is my role, I must accomplish, don't screw up by doing something different". In any case, I think that overall means jack ****. Behind_The_Shadows clearly didn't agree though :(

signature.png

signature.png

Does it (or did it?) look like Cool_Man is/was as good as PityFool in-game? No, not by a long shot. Is he as good in actuality? Oh yes, perhaps even better (differences in recent W/R and WN8 too small to be considered truly relevant).

What I would find to be really funny is if Cool came back, and suddenly started doing 4K WN8/70% winrate. With that xvm camo, it would be amusing to watch the faces of enemies after the battle go "wtf? is xvm broken?".

What happened to cool man, did he just eat shit or something/ Edit: Just noticed I'me the shitter part of teal. Time to pad  Grind lights God what am I doing anyways/

What happened to cool man, did he just eat shit or something/ Edit: Just noticed I'me the shitter part of teal. Time to pad  Grind lights God what am I doing anyways/

God what am I doing anyways/

Being teal like a boss... But, not an overbearing asshole boss like a purple... A good, well-rounded normal boss... That doesn't do well enough to get promoted but still gets good merit raises and keeps his job?

And, if Cool_Man comes back, I'll offer him a spot in LIMBO.

That XVM camo is nasty.

He didn't reroll, he ragequit for a while. You guys really need to platoon with him more, I understand his frustration in  being forced to solo constantly because other purples care too much about who they're seen with, are too lazy to bother checking his signature, dismiss him as they would some random 45%er inviting them, etc. 

I quit too peanut, coming back I miss him. Honestly I keep having friends just drop from the game.A good friend of mine recently came back after 4 months, thats nice, Draconis256 for you limbo boi. RIP Whiskey.

...being forced to solo constantly because other purples care too much about who they're seen with, are too lazy to bother checking his signature, dismiss him as they would some random 45%er inviting them, etc. 

THIS is the issue I would like to get at. I love playing with recent super-uni with horribad overalls...   

Which of you blurples would be happy or willing to regularly be seen with "one of those scummy teals"? Who of you out there would start lumping us in the bluish players?

Who considers us lowly pond-scum greens, thus inferior in every way?

I'd do the opposite

Mh.

I wonder why they would start playing better all of a sudden.

Many games tell me that they developed some habits over a long series of games. Most ppl are not easily losing habits. Thus, I assume that if they are e.g. yellow, they will continue playing like a yellow / light greenish.

The low games players on the other hand show that they understand the game mechanics from the base and will perform adequately.

But I get your point. What you describe is basically the heart of "XVM camo". I'm just sceptical about the sudden improvement point.

---

On another note, however, I'd like to only briefly bring up the point of the WN8 correlation here. As the colours are given according to the WN8 score, which is very damage dependant, they could be a bit misleading.

We should clarify at this point that we speak about the "real" performance (with the intention to win and act accordingly), here, not the performance of statpadders.

I wonder why they would start playing better all of a sudden.

Maybe they weren't really "playing". My first 8k games had close to 3k games played by my daughters and their friends and my wife and her friends and cousins and visitors...

Let's just say I don't remember playing the M4 EVER and probably only have 300 or so games in the E8...

For 8k games I just SMASHED "W" and had a GREAT time.

After that I discovered the competitive aspect of the game. The urge to reroll was great... But, fuck it. Already had 2 Tier-Xs I potatoed to and a bunch of good crews... Roll with the punches and mistakes I made and start improving from THAT point.

Even now, I play on a tight budget so grinding new lines can hurt my precious stats... Still; I'm playing at a higher level than I though possible just over a year ago.

I saw one of ours drop into JIMBO with overall yellows and barely blue recents hit over 3k recent within a month. 

That XVM camo, though... So jelly.

As far as teals go, however, I agree with Patient0

Even though I would like to focus on overall. It seems to me that breaking the teal barrier is done by players who aren't stagnating. I very rarely see veterans (>5k games) with teal overalls AND less than blurple recent stats. I am used to seeing stagnation in greens and below, but to me the teal is an indication of active and continuous improvement. 

Bleen?

Hiya old me 

I think you don't see them as much cause people are like me and was one of those I play4fun guise then started learning but the amount of battles that they already have just hold it down 

Cause that I'll never be purple overall, blur is reasonable but I'll probably have quit before I play another 24k battles 

My first 8k games had close to 3k games played by my daughters and their friends and my wife and her friends and cousins and visitors...

For 8k games I just SMASHED "W" and had a GREAT time.

Point taken. I didnt take "shared" accounts and a different mindset into account.

Well, yeah, in this case I agree. A "camoed" player is more dangerous than one with clear stats.