Aquavolt

Worstplayer_NA's guide on sodium level reduction

It's not easy to suddenly uphold a care-free attitude and try to NOT get angry over certain things that happen in a game like world of tanks, but with practice it's something that can help you as a person in-game and in real life. Constantly raging and showing a negative attitude is extremely destructive from a social standpoint, maintaining a positive attitude and an uplifting spirit is a much better investment that will improve your mental and possibly physical health.

People that rage constantly aren't fun to hang around. As a person and player that likes to sustain an uplifting attitude, trying to be around somebody that constantly has a negative attitude is difficult. There are just some things in this game that you can't change no matter how much you try, and having a destructive attitude won't help you or anybody around you.

I really enjoyed Worst's thread because this is something that I've found to be quite prominent in BULBA as well as previous skirmishes I've done. I understand that people are trying to be good at the game, but when I play with people that get extremely angry over a small loss or such, it makes me not want to play with them or even be around them in some circumstances. 

I'm not saying just stop caring about trying to be better, but do what you can to keep your stress levels low and try to make progress on your improvement in world of tanks, keeping stress low is a practice that will help you and your friends in-game and in real life.

best players, i've noticed, never rage.

well, atleast the best i've played with.

i wish worst wasn't banned, while his threads were never constructive in any way they were hilarious from time to time.

I'd say that raging, and being on tilt in general, is one of my biggest issues when it comes to both short and long-term consistency for me in WoT. What typically happens whenever I get one-shot by arty, something that I'm starting to notice a lot more, or I derp out because I incorrectly predicted the enemy's actions/didn't notice that that ally coming with me stopped halfway pointlessly (-_-) and end up getting yolo'd.

From there on, I get worse and worse at predicting enemy actions, and default to a teal level of play at around 55% winrate/1900 WN8, which enrages me further because I can't maintain decent blue stats. 

Not to mention that if I'm on TS with a platoon-mate who isn't a teal recent or better, but I still expect solid backing from, I'll find myself raging at them because they didn't support me the way I wanted/needed for them to (sorry about that the other day mean_dean). 

The weird thing is though, this is close to the only thing that actually makes me rage at any point, yet I always come back. I'm typically the guy who puts aside raging and being negative over a loss in real life, but in WoT, just getting trolled one match by RNG and thus not being able to carry will set me off. 

Also, on the topic of rage, is the T-34-3 as frustrating to drive as the FCM? I find that in the FCM, without any sort of protection beyond merely acceptable exposure time and the firepower, I feel out of place in the meta, and end up raging at how shitty the tank is. I brought it right before WG started whacking and phasing out vision control maps.

Honestly, a witty comment or 2 in chat is actually how I vent. It is what keeps me from raging more. I reserve my rage for pubbies 99.9% of the time, but I have apologized to a buddy or 2 here for being a dick once or twice. Lately it has been tough not to get pissed. I am 37 and this game frustrates me more than anything I have ever done in my life. I guess the feeling of having no control over the situation and seeing the level of stupid some people exhibit bugs me to no end. I know I can't control people, but when they decide to screw others over, it bugs me. I actually walked away tonight. Not being able to ping the map or call for help(chat ban) made me feel even more helpless, which in turn made me even more frustrated. I don't think I should play until my ban is over. Just being able to ping the map, help, or defend the base gives me some solace. At least I tried to be a team player. Tonight, I just had to watch the ship sink with my hands tied and my voice unheard. One game doesn't do that to me, but a night of nonstop crap sure does.

What I can't figure out is the real reason the game bugs me so much sometimes. IRL, I am the voice of reason and understanding to everyone I know. The one who keeps their cool in the roughest of situations and the guy everyone counts on to be level headed when no one else can. I can understand every side of an argument even when I don't agree. What is it about this game that makes me act like a completely different person? FFS, I tell people to STFU when I hear racist or stereotypical comments. Last night I got chat banned for using a racial slur. I am so mad at myself for stooping to that level because it just isn't me.

For reference, my comment wasn't directed at anyone. A G guy in a T92 shooting my Leo PTA was the last straw, he got me banned, and I deserved it. I simply lost it after arty had ruined my day over and over, and I said "Arty made me feel like a N-word at a Klan meeting" I honestly think that is the most ignorant thing I have ever said in my whole life. I wish I could figure out why things out of my control in this game can get to me that much, when nothing in real life ever has? Sorry in advance if you are offended by my comment. It was completely out of line.

Holy shit, the platoonmates and you section describes this one guy in BULBA I know. I really do hate people who rage at their platoonmates, no matter how bad they play. I have never once yelled or even gotten mad at a teammate over the mic (I do it off mic (Still never yell, just mumble to myself)) that he sucks.

Other than that, I have a hard time not raging at pubbies. I am a major solo-player. I solo a lot, and i have a lot of shit going on in my life. If someone doesn't play how I would in their position or if I get hit by arty for over 1k damage in any tier 10, you better believe I am going to sperg out over chat about it. I am a sperg, and it is what I do; but I would never do that to my friends or platoonmates.

This is a really good write-up and I agree with all of it for the most part. I would say I rage one game every 15-16 games, where I am either doing really bad a few games in a row or something insanely bullshit happens. Nice job Worst.

I confess to tilt playing, usually I stop after a while, but 3 hours after i'm still pondering over what I could have done better in every single game.

I almost never lose my temper in real life. I think I've lost it twice in the last two years. I lost it the other day at the utterly unhelpful staff at the student service centre while trying to submit the most important document I've ever written (my MSc thesis) before the deadline and once at some creep on a night out while pissed off my face. In tanks I get really angry for some reason. Maybe it's the stuff that I either repress or choose to let go in real life getting out? I dunno, but this thread is good attitude for most challenges. 

Worst has said (I think) that recent stats don't mean anything over overall stats. I think that is specifically so that this principle of "you are better than your stats" actually means something.

Had this philosophy for years, and I did fine. It's why you'll never find a thread of me bitching or raging at the game, it's really easy not to get mad at tanks; you just stop playing the moment it's fun, or try to make it fun in some other way, like mocking people. Mock yourself, mock your platoonmate/s if you have them, mock the other team, make fun of something someone said in chat that was completely stupid or go along with it. If you have to play the game for whatever reason you have, be it some sort of goal like unlocking a tank before x amount of time or what have you, and the game starts shitting on you, or you're playing poorly for whatever reason, find a way to make it fun, have some humor, talk about something else entirely, do whatever you have to do to find some enjoyment if you're going to shackle yourself to the game.

Just relax, find a way to have some fun, if the game isn't providing it, and, most of all, stop worrying about your God damn stats. I never gave a fuck about my stats and I did well enough, you can too. Don't underestimate how well you can do when you're actually relaxed.

I get frustrated sometimes, but its usually a result of people being deliberate cunts. For example... A shitter FORGE platoon of triple FV304's focusing my FCM, and then when I deliberately switched flanks to try get away from them they re-positioned to continue their torture. This sort of thing builds up frustration, but I immediately feel better when I crush a flank and chase the fuckers down, killing all 3 then BM them.

As Solono mentioned, mocking people is an excellent way of not getting angry. Mocking and BMing is what worst does 24/7 and its a really amusing way of avoiding frustration and anger. When I was tooning with worst, there were occasions when I or another toonmate would normally be getting slightly annoyed by a situation, but the constant troll in chat was so amusing we just didn't even care anymore. 

Laugh at everything, preferably others, but laugh at everything and you won't rage.

The original content's here, if you're curious.

One of wurst's replies in the comments:

The best runs I've ever had were from silent platoons, no ts, no rage.

19/20 wins in tier 9/10. Everything is chill and we just play to rekt pubbies.

Once ts gets added and someone starts moaning, people go on tilt and rip win rate.

Seriously, play your own game, don't rely on anyone and play your best, you'll probably win a lot more than if you spent half the game talking shit to your team after you died.

I now only platoon with non-salty people, and even though they might not be as good individually, just the fact they are chill and willing to work on a team makes it very easy to hit 80-90% w/r nights.

I've seen the silent platoon magic work first hand. It's amazing what being chill can do for your winrate.

Excellent post Aqua. I don't care if Worst wrote it; I'll always attribute it to you.

Interestingly I already do just about everything you say. May be my age (I turn 50 this weekend), so maturity certainly can come into play. You learn to deal with stupid over and over again in real life, and I, at least, try to turn that into dealing with stupid in-game.

I've also never ever had any issues with any platoonmates ... ever. Only thing that irked me only slightly one time a few months back was when one of my clanmates was setting up a medium TC and I brought my Hellcat. He said "I want everyone to run with gold camo and auto fire extinguishers". First, I am never going to spend gold on any tank for camo simply for a few TC battles (but I did buy the gold camo long ago; it's a Hellcat of course), and 2) in 600 battles I think my Hellcat has caught on fire 2-3 times, literally. So I said very matter-of-factly "I'm not going to put a fire extinguisher on my tank" and within 5 seconds I was punted from the company. So I went along my merry way. A few posts in the SIMP forums along these lines put a swift end to that ridiculousness by that Snorkler. But ... I didn't rage, I simply left that TS room and went along my merry tanking way. In my three-plus years of tanking I've never had any issues with any platoonmates. Either I'm lucky or ... well ... I don't know what.

I've also stopped staring at my own stats day after day. I track them sort of from a distance. I resolved long ago that I'll never be a unicum in this game, and I'm fine with that. I do strive to improve (hence my presence here in WoTLabs) and, more important, have fun. And the latter can be done in many, many ways, as Solono said.

As far as this:

What I can't figure out is the real reason the game bugs me so much sometimes.

I have a feeling that it goes directly to Internet anonymity. If you were playing this game in a room with your toon mates or entire team all together, would you yell at them when they go stupid, would you get up from your PC and run over to theirs and yell in their face that they need to reset cap? No. But because you're anonymous on the Net, we all feel free to yell all we want in chat (some much moreso than others).

So that's my opinion, an older player, a long-time tanker, a non-unicum but better than average (and I know very well that I am MUCH better than my actual numbers imply --- none of those numbers, as has been discussed many times before, take into account the subtle or soft skills, like map awareness, repositioning, running to the other flank to support it, etc.).

Good advice, some of this is harder to put into practice than other aspects, but I will say I tend to be less ragey when platooning with less ragey people.

Also, the whole not shitting on your friends thing is just kind a generally good practice.