Sign in to follow this  
schm1855

Solve the Centurion and 7/1 grinds with one simple change?

As I was muddling through another series of battles in the Centurion the other day I decided to examine the tech tree for the Cent 7/1 to see what kind of stupid amounts of Free XP I had to drop to make it bearable (147k, if you were curious). As I stared in shock and horror at my calculator, I realized that WG could fix the relative mediocrity of the Centurion 1 and the suicide-inducing stock grind of the 7/1 with one simple move.

Make the B Barrel available on the Centurion 1.

That would bump up the base DPM of the Cent to ~1,770 (still not great, but better) but more importantly reduce the aimtime to 1.9s. This would help to alleviate the awful dispersion the Cent already has. I never feel like the A Barrel should be more accurate, just that it should settle faster. A base aimtime of 1.9s would help snapshots and hill fighting which is often what the Cent 1 is relegated to thanks to its used-kleenex armor. I do worry about this move making the Cent and Caern too simiar though...

Additionally, that would shave 45k XP off of the 7/1 grind, bringing things down to a bearable 102k XP, which is more in line with other Tier 9 stock grinds (barring radios, extra engines, etc).

Any thoughts?

Please note I don't expect Wargaming to ever do this, which is why I posted on the Rebal Base forums.

If the B barrel were available on the Cent 1, the Caern will need buffs to make it competitive, since the only advantage it has over the Cent 1 is the B barrel.

Having said that, the Caern already needs buffs to make it competitive! Both tier 8 Brits are mediocre at best.

I totally agree. I don't hate the Cent, but I would not be doing this were it not for the glimmer of hope that is the 7/1 (and the possible free premium).

Hell just buff the reload of the B Barrel on the Caern to reflect "more favorable loading conditions" or some other historical-circle-jerk that WG likes to trot out every so often. Buff the base RPM to 8 - 8.5 and that give the Caern an actual niche at 8 (DPM sniper?).

I totally agree. I don't hate the Cent, but I would not be doing this were it not for the glimmer of hope that is the 7/1 (and the possible free premium).

Hell just buff the reload of the B Barrel on the Caern to reflect "more favorable loading conditions" or some other historical-circle-jerk that WG likes to trot out every so often. Buff the base RPM to 8 - 8.5 and that give the Caern an actual niche at 8 (DPM sniper?).

That would be nice since the Caer only has ten more dpm than the IS3 (if I remember correctly). Another alternative would be to just make the 20 type b the stock gun on the cent 7.

I'm thankful for threads like this. I have the brit lines all open, but I dare not play them due to terrible grinds. I just finished the hell of T95 and Pz SFL V.....don't want to tackle another bad one.

It's a very nice idea but nice idea and WG don't fix LOL

I fight more and more up close in centurion during my grind ever since I realized the speed really does not give me any flex options. Instead of wandering around did nothing because of always late to party, I rather go close support. Even if I pen nothing I still being useful as a decoy and distraction. A very noticeable game was when I platooned with my orange friend drove his Rumb, for some reasons 1/3 of the enemies wanted to see me dead so badly. I spent the whole match dodging but highlighted them all, end up they all killed by my friend who was sniping at the far end.

If slowness is the "character" of this tank, then please give us a better gun!

Excellent, I'm not the only one with this train of thought!

The Cent Mk1 would really excel more in my eye with the B-Barrel. As much as I love it I tend to rage sell it due to underwhelming dpm/cost per shot. 

Never played the Caern however so cant comment :(

They can't buff the Caernarvons DPM, the're too busy buffing the 3rd Russian T10 mediums DPM to also be competitive for clan wars while ignoring all the shit T10 mediums.

And expecting WG to handle two tasks at the SAME time!? Well that's just ludicrious, sir.

Too much... ahem... whine. Cent 1 is already way better than caern. Adding even better gun on almost perfect hull down tank would be overkill.

Played and grinded both lines and guns are not part of the "con" list, quite the opposite, gun on cent 1 is one of the best in class only surpassed by 100mm on obj416 that is way less comfortable to use.

On the other hand, caern could use a buff, but cent 1?, not realy.

You couldn't be further from truth. Cent 7 has one of the easiest stock grinds in class. Bested only by the Object 430 II, every other tier 9 stock medium is clearly worse. Instead of whining how hard and unaffordable it is to buy all the modules with gold you should try a revolutionary new concept of actually playing the stock tank. You might even end up liking the machine gun style of play.

@Trobs:

If you play med and heavy branches at the same time you will save a lot of exp on shared modules: guns, engines and radios. The most efficient way is to grind the heavy line 1st, or to play it one tier ahead of mediums so the only place where you need to spend free exp is on the Caernarvon. You need to mount the enhanced springs on Caernarvon and than spend 31k free exp for the turret and A barrel. After you get that A barrel the entire British medium line is like a walk in the park.

Yeah. Long grind but not bad grind. We're not talking about a T-44 or M46 here.

I confirm!!!

I've got te Cent 7/1 and with the 20 pounder it's just a really fun grind.

You still be able to do more than 2K DPG if you aim well.

In the other side i've just unlock the T-44 and it's a real pain, 144 of pen and sluggish as a Heavy tank....

I really want him full (tested it on the test server and seems really good when elited) and really want the T-54 as well but what a real pain in the ass...