Sir_Havoc

[Newcomers Guides] The Art of..... Staying alive, remaining effective, Peekaboo, detracking

Hi everyone, 

I am Sir_Havoc. I spent a lot of time in this game hearing people troll the beginners, inexperienced and poor players.

To be honest I did it myself for some time. I decided to embark on a quest to help new players and those experienced players who feel I might have something to offer.

I have currently started a series of videos that I believe will help. They are not your normal tutorial. They cover obvious parts of the game that many people fail to adhere to.

This in my opinion is the main reason why so many people fail to help the team or be an effective player.

There are currently 5 episodes:

The art of ... #1 Staying alive (obvious I know) yet so many people fail to do it.

#2 Remaining effective after taking heavy damage early in the game.

#3 Peekaboo (with a brief introduction to noobmeter, skip to minute 8 if you dont need this)

#4 De-tracking, broadcasting, destroying.

#5 Hiding and Firing from Bushes and remaining undetected. (shot at enemies as close as 120 meters and stay hidden)

#6 Auto Aim (easy peasy)

#7 Starting a Battle (In 3 easy steps)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SirHavocTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRbrte1lH_w&list=PLMdR1v1A7py55xbIgz4Y5YRQBc621fKPr&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7Mxqmczzs&list=PLMdR1v1A7py55xbIgz4Y5YRQBc621fKPr&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBZX-z7mVM&list=PLMdR1v1A7py55xbIgz4Y5YRQBc621fKPr&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39iRpLyyt6I&index=4&list=PLMdR1v1A7py55xbIgz4Y5YRQBc621fKPr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2MNgGv_nGk&index=5&list=PLMdR1v1A7py55xbIgz4Y5YRQBc621fKPr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW9bGGH5EQ8&list=UUYn6nC-RSPDBKmJOV65SNGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UADCHAHjk

These are the first set of videos I have done, the audio is a bit low on the first 2 but this was ironed out. So far I have received a good amount of praise for trying to help new players.

Including two separate recommendations from Wargaming staff.

I hope you enjoy

Have a great day

Havoc

O> CIRC

Hey man

Can you make a video on being less passive/moment seizing? I have difficulty on telling when to push or to seize a gap/mistake. Thanks!

Yo man

that is a brilliant idea!!!! thank you man That will be one of my next videos

Havoc

Can you make a video on being less passive/moment seizing? I have difficulty on telling when to push or to seize a gap/mistake. Thanks!

I'd say that that's something that you really can't learn in any way other than experience and keeping your eyes glued to the minimap. No two situations are the same, so trying to do what a blue or purple has learned of when he can do it might get you killed because you don't understand. I personally learned this the hard way, and it still applies to me.

For example, when I've platooned with MaxL_1023, and attempted to replicate his results, whereas he gets 6K damage and carries hard, I horribly derp with 1K damage and throw the game because I don't quite understand the nuances of the game at his level.

I'd say that that's something that you really can't learn in any way other than experience and keeping your eyes glued to the minimap. No two situations are the same, so trying to do what a blue or purple has learned of when he can do it might get you killed because you don't understand. I personally learned this the hard way, and it still applies to me.

For example, when I've platooned with MaxL_1023, and attempted to replicate his results, whereas he gets 6K damage and carries hard, I horribly derp with 1K damage and throw the game because I don't quite understand the nuances of the game at his level.

I do agree with you, however You can teach people to look out for some of the signs.

remember a lot of players do not even ask themselves the right (or any) questions about the strategy of what they are doing. I played alot of strategy games before i got into WOT, I feel that give me a slightly better vision of the 'Big Picture' than some players. In the heat of battle when you are tunnel visioned in it is hard.

I started to collect replays where I took a battle from a loss to a win by seizing the moment. I do not have enough yet for a video.

Perhaps you could ask arouns and link me some wotreplays that have this in, it will also give the viewers a chance to get in the movies.

Havoc

HI Guys,

I have had some great support and pm's from this post, i just wanted to say thanks!!!

HAvoc

Just started watching your series.

Looks like good stuff. I will miss hanging out with Leeroy though.

These were great.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who looked at the titles of the videos and thought "Hmm... those concepts seem fairly basic to me."  Well, all I can say is, watch them anyway.  Watching while some of the little nuances were explained, I thought about my own gameplay.  I realized that although I was familiar with these concepts, my application of them in my own games is often lacking.  So now I'll have some more mental ammo to fire in my upcoming games, and the improvement will continue.

Since coming to these forums about 2 weeks ago and going "back to the basics" with some of the guides, tips & tricks threads, and videos like these, more of this stuff has been at the forefront of my mind while in game.  The net result is, after a ~3-month slump that took my winrate from a solid 52% all the way down to 50, in just these 2 weeks, I've returned it to 51.96%.  Should be back to my 52 after this evening, and will continue to climb from there.

On the subject of Episode 4 and de-tracking, I still have a hilarious replay from 8.8 or 8.9 in my little Panzer III on the north road of Northwest, with a Sherman Jumbo trying to eat me for lunch.  I dove off the hill to get away, and he attempted to chase.  Just as he crested, I managed to track him, about halfway off the edge.  I just kept on pounding shells into his front drive wheels, keeping both tracks out, with about 25% actually doing damage.  Something like 40+ shells into him, and finally killed him.  Bet he was raging.  :smug:

Thanks for making these, looking forward to the next set!

When I watched the first video I thought I was listening to the drunken ravings of a retard!! The quality of the recording was, of course, the reason why.

Excellent material, has helped me already. +1

These were great.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who looked at the titles of the videos and thought "Hmm... those concepts seem fairly basic to me."  Well, all I can say is, watch them anyway.  Watching while some of the little nuances were explained, I thought about my own gameplay.  I realized that although I was familiar with these concepts, my application of them in my own games is often lacking.  So now I'll have some more mental ammo to fire in my upcoming games, and the improvement will continue.

Since coming to these forums about 2 weeks ago and going "back to the basics" with some of the guides, tips & tricks threads, and videos like these, more of this stuff has been at the forefront of my mind while in game.  The net result is, after a ~3-month slump that took my winrate from a solid 52% all the way down to 50, in just these 2 weeks, I've returned it to 51.96%.  Should be back to my 52 after this evening, and will continue to climb from there.

On the subject of Episode 4 and de-tracking, I still have a hilarious replay from 8.8 or 8.9 in my little Panzer III on the north road of Northwest, with a Sherman Jumbo trying to eat me for lunch.  I dove off the hill to get away, and he attempted to chase.  Just as he crested, I managed to track him, about halfway off the edge.  I just kept on pounding shells into his front drive wheels, keeping both tracks out, with about 25% actually doing damage.  Something like 40+ shells into him, and finally killed him.  Bet he was raging.  :smug:

Thanks for making these, looking forward to the next set!

thanks mate comment slike this make it all worth while

When I watched the first video I thought I was listening to the drunken ravings of a retard!! The quality of the recording was, of course, the reason why.

Excellent material, has helped me already. +1

Awesome comment, I need to use that, the drunken ravings of a retard LMAO

Hi guys,

the next episode in the series is out, it is called... The Art of Hiding and Firing from Bushes and remaining undetected. The good players can fire from a bush at enemies as close as 120 meters and remain undetected.

In this episode I shoe you how that is easily achievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2MNgGv_nGk&index=5&list=PLMdR1v1A7py55xbIgz4Y5YRQBc621fKPr

Have a great day

Havoc

Could pen a 112 3 times in the coupola and finally kill him without being spotted with my IS :).

Know how to use bushes and the vision mechanic is absolut essential.

Thank you for your efforts with the videos. They help to bring noobs like me to a decent level.

Looks promising.  If you don't mind I'll likely link your YouTube series up on www.wothelp.com once I've had a chance to view all your videos.  Hopefully I can get you a few more viewers that way.

Could pen a 112 3 times in the coupola and finally kill him without being spotted with my IS :).

Know how to use bushes and the vision mechanic is absolut essential.

Thank you for your efforts with the videos. They help to bring noobs like me to a decent level.

No probs thanks for watching bro, 

Looks promising.  If you don't mind I'll likely link your YouTube series up on www.wothelp.com once I've had a chance to view all your videos.  Hopefully I can get you a few more viewers that way.

No problem mate, I would love that thanks

Havoc

• Player
  • 8310 battles
  • 217 message_img.png
  • [W-UNI] emblem_24x24.png

0 warning points

Hi Guys,

Ever know the game is over as soon as you see which way your team is heading??? or

Ever get screamed at by your team because they say you are going the wrong way???  Either way this is for you guys. 

This is WOT University and this episode is called... The Art of Starting a Battle.

Its back to basics

3 Easy steps to help you choose which way to go at the beginning of a battle

My very first post here and just to leave a big "Thanks" for you Sir_Havoc.

I have not yet viewed all of your episodes but "the art of auto-aim" alone made me improve my medium-play quite a bit. I was struggling with shooting on the move (3rd-person view and all...) and played more like a heavy.

I know it sounds totally dumb, but using autoaim never came to my mind as it was a total desaster to use for sniping.

I already had a look into some other threads here and I hope there´s yet more I can take with me to improve.