Sign in to follow this  
Deusmortis

Where Should My Post Go? - The Quick Guide to Subforum Selection

Good day, and welcome to WoTLabs.  By coming here, we hope you're ready to take your first steps into a greater world.  A world where competence in tanking actually exists.

This forum has continued to grow, and is far different than it was when our little community of disgruntled official forum goers cobbled it together a little over a year ago.  Our greatest desire is still to educate you newcomers, and advance the skill level of all players.  Our growth, however, has made it difficult to know exactly where certain questions should be asked.  There is a lot of data here, and several sections that look alike.  Especially for newcomers.

Therefore, I shall attempt to guide you all to the best place to ask certain types of questions.  This will help you get the best answers, in the least amount of time.

Questions about concepts - How should I play, Where should I go, etc.

Metagame Discussion

The simple definition of metagame is "How the game is played."  It does not reflect the mechanical nature of the game (pen of gun vs armor of target, etc.), but the concepts of how success can be achieved.  Knowledge of the metagame helps you understand why the valley in Lakeville is so bad, and why heavy tanks always go to the 8 line on Himmelsdorf.  It shows you how a scout can win a match without firing a shot, simply by controlling what gets seen.  This section also have a subsection discussing play on each map.

Questions about mechanics - How was I spotted, Why can't I pen a heavy, etc.

Core Skills and Mechanics

If a question can be answered by numbers, it goes here.  This section tells you why camo nets are rarely useful, and why a vertical stabilizer is better than an enhanced gun laying drive.  If you want to know how overmatch works, or the spotting system, or the best way to angle your armor, look/ask here.

This section also has a Quick Questions, Quick Answers thread pinned at the top.  If you have a quick question that really doesn't warrant a new thread, feel free to reply in the QQQA thread.

Specific vehicle questions - How do I play the Indien Panzer, How can I pen a T95, etc.

Vehicles Section

Section is divided by countries.  Most tanks have their own dedicated thread.  Some even have two or three!  Here, you can learn from others who have struggled or succeeded in a specific tank.  You can get advice on equipment selection and crew skills.  You can learn how others play a certain tank on certain maps, or how to beat certain tanks.

Platoon related questions - Proper tank selection, Divide or stick together, etc.

Platoon Play

Playing with friends is great.  Dominating with friends is better.  If you want to know which tanks work well together, or how to maximize the effect of your platoons, ask here.  

Basic questions - How do I get better, What tank should I play, etc.

Tanks Related Questions

Anyone can ask, anyone can answer.  This is the place for all of your common tanking questions, that don't fall into one of the previous categories.  This is the best place to ask for general advice, or to ask what you should do in a certain situation.  If you're not sure where the question should go, it should probably go here.

Advanced questions - When only the best will do

Ask a Purple

Sometimes, you need a perspective from on high.  When you're already good, but need to push beyond, ask here.  If you need to probe the deep mysteries of the game, ask here.  If you just want a really good player to review your replay... probably best if you don't ask there.  Same goes for questions that fall into one of the previous categories.  This is our most heavily moderated section, and many questions either disappear or get moved elsewhere.  If you honestly feel that your question should be addressed to the best players around, feel free to ask.  Just don't take offense if the answers come slowly, or your thread gets moved.

Please note:  Threads in this section will not show up until a moderator or one of our Purple Poasters group members approves it.  Replies in threads are subject to the same restriction.  Replies from non-purple members will occasionally be approved, if they are deemed worthy.  

Final Note:

Many questions have been asked over the past year.  Many answers have  been provided.  Please look around for a similar question before making a new post.  The Library of Valhalla is a great place to start.  Many questions have some degree of overlap, and can fit into multiple sections.  Use your best judgment.  If you guess wrong, one of us will likely move it.  Asking the question (and getting your answer) is more important.  

Could we please have a sub-forum dedicated to the analysis of replays from not-so-good players? Epic pubby battle boasting doesn't really serve the purpose, as it's for the explicit reason of showing off good games, and the PPRP is only accessible to those who have already hit a point at which replay analysis can only do so much. I'm not really sure as to where I could just poast a pack of replays for some purples/other blues to maybe analyze a few at a time.

Could we please have a sub-forum dedicated to the analysis of replays from not-so-good players? Epic pubby battle boasting doesn't really serve the purpose, as it's for the explicit reason of showing off good games, and the PPRP is only accessible to those who have already hit a point at which replay analysis can only do so much. I'm not really sure as to where I could just poast a pack of replays for some purples/other blues to maybe analyze a few at a time.

I was considering writing up a similar suggestion.  Just working it all out in my mind right now.

Should add one for the mathematics section. A lot of people post questions about how WN8 works in the metagame section, which is obviously incorrect from our perspective.

Yes indeed.  I'm new here so can't comment on posting to the metagame section but agree that having a metrics area (and "advertising" it in this thread off the welcome PM) would be a good idea.

Update - Found it, I think - the "Mathlab" section, (please kindly update the OP?).

Yes indeed.  I'm new here so can't comment on posting to the metagame section but agree that having a metrics area (and "advertising" it in this thread off the welcome PM) would be a good idea.

Update - Found it, I think - the "Mathlab" section, (please kindly update the OP?).

Yep, it's been there for a few months. Welcome to the forum!