Garbad

The Chinese 112

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which communist wedge tank reigns supreme?

So I won the 112 in the recent tournament, and combined with the next on track event I thought it might be interesting to review this tank.  Its not a popular or particularly well regarded tank, but it has a lot going for it both in pubs and stronks.  The main reason it gets so little attention is the ubiquitous and overpowered IS-6, and I will try and focus the review mainly on comparing those two tanks.

XtGh7lG.jpg

GEAR AND CREW:

The 112 is a typical long aim time heavy, and as such, runs a GLD.  My crew is my 110 crew, with a focus on survivability and fire control.  Note that the 112 is fairly flammable, and AFE is strongly recommended.

FIREPOWER:

+ Hard hitting alpha, fair DPM

+ Large ammo supply, enough to mix and match all types

+ Fair depression (6 in the front)

- Very poor penetration AP (175) with an unreliable HEAT round (250)

- Very, very poor bloom, accuracy, and overall fire control

Most readers will be familiar with the russian 122.  The 112 is much like its brothers who use this gun, but worse.  Its bloom values are among the worst in game, combined with terrible penetration.  Still, 390 alpha + decent dpm + -6 give you something to work with.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1167767#kharkov-garbad_the_weak-112

yolosniping

PROTECTION:

+ Hard, uniform front glacis -- 230 effective AP head on and easily angled for up to ~270 AP

+ Hard, well designed turret -- 275+ effective AP protection, no weak points to triple overmatch, and the hatches even offer 165+ AP protection!

+ Spaced side armor which is a blessing and a curse -- it can offer immunity to HEAT and HE at times, but also is thin and has many weak points.  Still a very capable sidescraper.

- Front lower plate is very soft and frequently causes fires

- The tank is long and soft on top, making cancer penetrating hits a real threat

The 112 lives or dies based on how well you can hide the lower plate.  If you can keep it hidden, the tank has exceptional hardness, capable of very strong hull down, sidescraping, and more for a total protection that is probably the best in tier.  If you fail to keep it hidden...tier 6s can shoot straight through and burn you to death in seconds.  Overall, I consider it extremely good.

MOBILITY AND VISION CONTROL:

+ Very high top speed for a heavy (45/15)

+ Good acceleration (can outrun IS-3/IS-6 under almost all conditions)

+ Good base view range (380)

- Lackluster overall turning, lacks the ability to whitman

- Useless camo

The 112 is overall very quick -- one of the best examples of a "heavymediums" in WOT.  It can get where it wants to go, peek around nicely, and in general do anything you ask of it.  It shares the flaw of all communist tanks in that its sluggish when completely turning around to return to base (communists do not retreat, ever), but this is relatively minor.  The 380 view range is also nice -- on certain maps/matchups the IS-6 and similar tanks are highly vulnerable to camo snipers; the 112 is much less so.

PREMIUM QUIRKS:

PROFITABILITY:  Edge IS-6.  IS-6 will get fewer zero damage pens/etc, and should make more credits.

MATCHMAKING:  Draw.  Both get the same.

CREW TRAINER:  Draw.  Both are useful, effective trainers in useful lines.  The RU is more popular, but that doesn't make it better.

STAT PADDING:  Edge IS-6.  The IS-6 will average more DPG, and thus, get flashier numbers. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/1167803#himmelsdorf-garbad_the_weak-is-6

The IS-6 outwits much stronger opponents

HEAT vs APCR:

A lot of people comment that 250 HEAT is pretty much just as good as 217 APCR.  I assure you, it is not.  HEAT combined with an extremely derpy gun means you will frequently hit turrets, tracks, and so on and get zero damage hits where APCR would pen.  Also, because HEAT does not have normalization, it is not able to take advantage of the triple overmatch trick on the roof of many of your most common opponents (including the T-34, KT, IS-3, and IS-6), and this is a staple of 122 play.  And even when you fire on a flat target, you rarely get much of an advantage punching through.  Overall, the APCR is clearly superior.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1167785#himmelsdorf-garbad_the_weak-112

Watch here for an example of good sidescraping...but a failure to triple overmatch the roof of an IS-6.

ARMOR LAYOUT:

The IS-6 has long been considered a staple of hardness, due to superb sidescraping and reasonably tough hull down/frontal.  The 112 is not QUITE as good in a sidescrape, but its very close...and offers much more hardness at its best points (turret, upper plate).  This is key, as in the modern meta the IS-6 often gets overwhelmed by powercreeped gold spammers.  The 112 is much more resistant to that when well played, and that's a major asset in winning key brawls.  However, the 112 depends on your ability to protect the lower plate, which hurts your flexibility.  My stats show about the same armor efficiency overall, but I believe this when the game is on the line, the 112 is harder (but takes more damage in mop up).  On the whole, I believe the 112 is better.

qFMoj8b.jpg

BUT CAN IT DO DAMAGE:

The biggest flaw of the 112 is its extreme derpiness combined with its low, unreliable penetration.  It also has lower DPM than the IS-6, giving the IS-6 a major damage advantage.  I do ~2500 in my IS-6 and only 2k in my 112, although I expect my 112 to rise....but probably not to 2500.  I predict it will top at ~2.1 to 2.2k.  That's a lot of DPG lost.  It hurts your stats, it hurts your carry, and it hurts your profitability.  Now, to be fair the 112 is a lot less bad than the T-34-3.  Its superior depression and less risk in exposure greatly benefit the tank, easily making up for its slightly worse paper stats.  But the tank can be rage inducing...even more than the IS-6. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/1167790#self

Good, basic peekabooming.

CONCLUSION:

The 112 is a formidable tank.  Its fast, hard, and hard hitting.  IF you can hide the lower plate consistently and IF you can aim well enough to make 175/250 penetration work, you can hit some lofty peaks of performance.  I believe under its ideal play the 112 has a good bit higher carryability than the IS-6.  But on average...the IS-6 will probably make more money, get better stats, carry a bit harder, and be less frustrating to use.  If the tank had been released under the old mechanics with 300 pen HEAT, damn...this would be the god tank of all god tanks.  But in the end, its not quite as good as the IS-6...but its a lot closer than people think.

Ranking:  6/10 in terms of raw power, 8/10 counting the premium benefits

Just got done looking at the 113 on track... I didn't see it including the 112 counting towards the experience, or did I miss it?

It's not on the 113 line, so it doesn't count towards it. 

I played about a dozen games in mine this weekend.  Initial thought was "man if I had paid money for this I would be pissed."  Part of it is just adjusting to the tank - I don't play a whole lot of tanks with horrible gun handling.  I'm hoping that as I adjust my play style to the tank my opinion of it will improve.

Still, the armor is questionable.  Nice upper front hull and turret - everything else is garbage.  The lower plate is horrendous (I've had 175 pen go through it even at a near auto bounce angle).  First game I ran directly into an E-25 who shredded me with APCR before I could finish him off.  Side armor is pretty terrible except when very steeply angled.  The IS-6 is less tough at its strongest points but overall tougher than the 112.

As you mention the HEAT round is unreliable to the point where I don't expect to fire it much at all (especially given the cost).  In most cases you're better off throwing an AP round and hoping it hits where you want it to.

With premium account I'm averaging something like 60-70k per game which is pretty nice.

Just got done looking at the 113 on track... I didn't see it including the 112 counting towards the experience, or did I miss it?

Unfortunately I don't think it counts.

I agree, the IS6 for the average player is a better bet if they are looking for a credit turner. That said with a little skill the 112 can be a hammer. The other really cool thing about it...far fewer people out there know where to shoot the 112 because it is a fairly uncommon tank to see on a regular basis whereas the IS6 is owned by nearly everyone. This alone gives you an advantage at times. I have looked through my scope and watched people move their gun around looking for the weakspot with mine...keep it up, i'm re-loading, and yes, I do know right where to shoot your IS3 with a 175 pen gun.... :armoredcar:  

Yeah even though on paper the IS6 gun is terribad in practice I find it to be fairly accurate at mid ranges. I dont find anything good at all about the 112`s and "feel" like its much much worse than the IS6 gun handling.

I do love how you can use slight bumps in the 112 and just soak DMG but IMO the IS6`s angle is just pure win, add to the fact its accurate enough to put its 217 pen into a hatch at 100m and its night and day better IMO.

However played as a pure aggressive fast attack tank where you dont zoom in and just snap shot the 112 is fine. Also I like the 250 HEAT round for things like the KV4 or E75 lower where the APCR just isnt enough. But also the APCR makes the round much less derpy and slow in flight. Also since the drivers hatch is so well known on the IS6 it also is a major drawback where as the 112 is less known.

I think for guys like me who are not in love with Rus brawling 122 tactics the IS6 is better and for Brawling/Rus gods the 112 would be better. I used to love using my 112 as a pure tanker in T8 CW games where an IS3 would get mauled. I would hide lower sit at 200m and let them nail me and laugh at the 1390 gold spam.

Finally some love for my darling 112! <3

Kewei wrote about the 112 way back and said it was by far his favorite and OP in his hands.

Yeah even though on paper the IS6 gun is terribad in practice I find it to be fairly accurate at mid ranges. I dont find anything good at all about the 112`s and "feel" like its much much worse than the IS6 gun handling.

I do love how you can use slight bumps in the 112 and just soak DMG but IMO the IS6`s angle is just pure win, add to the fact its accurate enough to put its 217 pen into a hatch at 100m and its night and day better IMO.

However played as a pure aggressive fast attack tank where you dont zoom in and just snap shot the 112 is fine. Also I like the 250 HEAT round for things like the KV4 or E75 lower where the APCR just isnt enough. But also the APCR makes the round much less derpy and slow in flight. Also since the drivers hatch is so well known on the IS6 it also is a major drawback where as the 112 is less known.

I think for guys like me who are not in love with Rus brawling 122 tactics the IS6 is better and for Brawling/Rus gods the 112 would be better. I used to love using my 112 as a pure tanker in T8 CW games where an IS3 would get mauled. I would hide lower sit at 200m and let them nail me and laugh at the 1390 gold spam.

Kewei wrote about the 112 way back and said it was by far his favorite and OP in his hands.

A TOG would be OP in his hands :P. but yes, now I remember that article. 

Nice review, and I liked how you compared it to the IS-6. This morning I was playing in my IS-6 and got wrecked by a 112. Although he did have the advantage that I was also dealing with and IS-3 at the time. I had my gun focused on the IS-3 but was trying to angle and bounce the 112's shots. He was mostly firing HEAT and I couldn't bounce much while also having to deal with the IS-3. After I killed the IS-3  I was too low on health and could only get one good shot into him before he killed me. What I learned is that you should avoid confronting a 112 from the front if you have a gun with pen lower than 220. 

Wow, never realized about the 380 view range.

I don't have IS6 and can't compare, but so far I'm enjoying it. The speed is just wonderful, and as you said, if you control the lower plate, it's pretty bouncy.

Garbad, the real question is:

If you hadn't earned it, and had to pay cashmoney for it, would you?

No, but only because I already owned several other t8 prems.  For me personally, the type was the only one I've bought for cash and I don't regret it.  Type + one of the heavies (112, kv5, or is6 as you see fit) is ideal.

I might try revisiting the 112 for a solopub credit earner. It's been a while since I've played it in earnest, but I really hated it back when I last played it. I really enjoy the IS-6, but the IS-6's fantastic APCR round lures me into spending too much money restocking ammo. Since the 112's HEAT sucks, I'll pretty much be forced into running AP most of the time.

Hopefully the 112's mobility advantage over the IS-6 will lend itself to playing it more like the WZ-111 model 1-4, which has quickly become my favorite solopub tank.

Edit: OK. This thing is actually not half bad. I think I'm gonna keep this as my go-to solopub credit grinder and preferential 8 anchor for platoons.

owxhgtE.png

Edited by CarbonatedPork

Granted some gold from WG's Carnival Float Contest I finally picked the 112 up after an exhaustive comparison of available premiums.

Already possesing the Type 59 & T34 I was looking to add variety more than anything. Now 50 battles in, I'm definately pleased with the purchase.

oUzAur7.png

Ran all the options in TankNumbers, decided to focus exclusively on gun handling with Vents, VS & GLD to boost the accuracy as well as the aim time. Mobility also benefits from the Vents.

Avg Dmg could and should be higher, and I expect it to rise as I get more used to the style. I've never driven any IS-type tank, leaning more towards high accuracy/penetration pieces.

One of the things I like about the 112, opposed to say the IS6, is that its frontal profile reminds me in a way of the E50 - it gives you an reliably strong UFP to work with, and it makes folks have to aim.

The 6* of depression is appreciated too, opposed to the T-34-3

The only issues noted so far are a tendency to lose the ammo rack to side shots, and that the lower plate absolutely must be protected (75%+ of penetrating shots have gone there).

This tank is kinda ... bad. I honestly have no idea why anyone would consider this over an IS-6 ignoring crew training. It goes fast down hills, but otherwise the mobility is lacking. Combine that with the awful gun, and it's really not impressive. Luckily, the armor is pretty good since you can side scrape and hull down, but it really lacks the troll qualities of the IS-6. The worst part is probably the HEAT round. I don't really fire much HEAT, but it really feels lacking on this tank since it's so inaccurate. I'm pretty sure HEAT has less normalization, too. Overall, it's just atrocious to drive.

-snip-

This tank is overpowered in tier 8 matches, and still very powerful in tier 9. I originally thought it was terrible having come from the IS-6 myself, however with the goal of achieving 3 marks this tank quickly clicked with me and I loved it.

The UFP is reliable enough to bounce Waffle PZ IV gold at range, The view range and speed allows it to play in the front spotting for your teammates early. While the HEAT round mechanics aren't great they are able to pen any tank you face easily, unlike the IS-6 when in tier 9 games. 

My final 112 stats

LSJx64J.jpg

What its capable off with its view range and armor. 

0Lxj8Mr.jpg

Idk, I'm playing more of it (and getting back into driving IS-6 like tanks), and I still don't really like it that much. I only have like 85% for MoEs (not bad considering I get like 1 game of doing sub 700 damage per every 3 games played). 

The acceleration is actually probably one of the most annoying things. Also, I feel like the gun bloom is very annoying, but I haven't played IS-6 for awhile *shrug*. The HEAT round is just meh (though I did just rek an ST-I with some), but I feel like a lot of it is because I've never used HEAT before.

It can be pretty beastly at times, but I just don't see much of a point to it over an IS-6. The UFP is like imba at angles, but the lower plate with the lack of gun depression just makes it kind of meh. It feels like an IS-6 that traded its overall protection for more UFP, which I don't really think is necessary. It's easier to sidescrape in, but I feel like the IS-6 is just more effective overall.

I've really been enjoying the 112 lately. I feel like it has more abusable qualities that make it more of a contender in tier 9 matches than the IS-6 for the mindful tanker. The 112's HEAT is more effective than the IS-6's APCR round when dealing with other heavies in frontal engagements, the 112 is a better sidescraper, and the 112's turret is much, much beefier. Less overall armor and RoF, but if you're paying attention to the battlefield you can generally keep your best armor in front of the enemy anyway.

IMO, this is one of the best solopub tanks in the game.