Sign in to follow this  
wes

Best wolf pack tanks

3-man T71 platoon with good T71ers is fucking dangerous... 1 T71 is dangerous enough.

We do this regularly during my Trolltastic Tuesday platooning event. "Let's circle this guy clockwise, clip, and then circle that guy counterclockwise..." >400 combined alpha every 2 seconds; yes please!

3 m41... 2 with autoloader and one with normal 76mm.

Starting at tier 5 or 6, the russian meds would be hard to beat to wolf pack with, if neither has that line just start together and go to the top. Also could run the T57 line from the Ez 8 to the 54E1, those are a fun line also.

3-man T71 platoon with good T71ers is fucking dangerous... 1 T71 is dangerous enough.

We do this regularly during my Trolltastic Tuesday platooning event. "Let's circle this guy clockwise, clip, and then circle that guy counterclockwise..." >400 combined alpha every 2 seconds; yes please!

This. It also has the added benefit of being absolutely hilarious to pull off. Getting the drop on a heavy tank and you can just imagine the dawning realisation he's about to get fucked by a swarm of angry lil tanks. It's ... delicious.

I enjoy wolfpacking in my E50M and STB-1, probably because I don't have any RU meds. Dat e50m is pubstar, stb1 rof compliments rus nicely as you pump out 390 almost as quick as they pump out their low alpha rounds.

Bat chat 25t platoon works as really well as three arty working together on a target. Is7, t-54, e-75, is-6, t57 heavies, any bat chat 25t lin3 and up works well.

But to be frank combos of the same three tanks only works pending on MM. I find it easier to run a heavy, auto loader, and a td together works out well most of the time. 2 meds and a death cannon (fv 183 and jg.Pz e100) work out great as well. Once you getninto higher tiers finding combination of tanks works better and allows you to carry if you need to.

3x 62a/140/430 or any combination of the 3. Probably the best all around mediums in the game capable of filling any role when needed, crippling dpm that will melt most takes with focus fire, and flexibility.

also 3x E100 because 8100 combined HP with 2250 combined focus fire in a single salvo can dominate brawls.

As some have noted here, if the main thing is that you're trying to get your friend to enjoy the game, you may have to be a bit more considerate to what he enjoys playing. You note that he's not a particularly skilled player, in which case pairing mediums, particularly at lower tiers, where they have low armour and low pen, may not help him to reduce his frustration at the game.

The main thing is to probably play the same type/model of tank so that he can always go where you go and thus encourage you to work together. Slower, beefier tanks with high pen might play more to his limited strengths as well, so maybe pair two IS-3s together? Or if he likes to sit in a bush and camp snipe, then maybe Russian TDs (which at least have the ability to relocate somewhat to allow you to carry a bit more)?

It seems like we should probably ask what lines you and he are willing to play.

The American medium line is fun, but the T-20, Pershing, and M46 are probably it. The top of the line isn't too great, and the Easy 8 is rather mediocre.

The British line is fine at the Cromwell, but going higher will probably not please you. Comets are rather tough to play with what I feel is an inadequate gun. Centurion at tier 8 also isn't great for wolf-packing because of the roles its forced into (slowish with little armor to speak of).

If you're looking for heavies, you can't go far wrong with a pair of T-29s. IS-3s or 110s work well at tier 8. They are both flexible enough to get around, armored enough to take a hit or two, and with enough firepower to put their own hurt down.

I think anything beyond tier 8 is going to be hard to get to if your friend is rather casual, so I'll leave it at that.

However, I will offer one other idea here (which I think you've already picked up on). In a platoon of two, I'm much more likely to match tanks than to go for the (now) standard trinity of "anchor tank", "flex tank", and "firepower tank". Being flexible is important when you have 3 people, but with just 2 I think you need to work more closely together otherwise why are you playing in a platoon? My two cents.

Robert