Balron

Hi, I am a random guy and I suck at OP tanks.

Hi,

I got something weird going on.  I can't seem to understand how to play "OP" tanks. Especially Hellcat. Then also KV-1S. I got pretty bad stats in both. But on the other side, I got lucky with terrible (as far as I read) tanks like T-28, which is actually my best wr tank of all (and was my favourite thing to drive until I went up in tiers).

I mostly just read these forums to get some knowledge, but today I would like to ask: Why am I so terrible in Hellcat? What are my biggest mistakes?

I have uploaded few very fresh replays (just played those games). My wn8 was around 2k after these games, but I guess it was just by "farming dmg while camping".

http://wotreplays.com/site/1169774#pearl_river-balron-m18_hellcat

http://wotreplays.com/site/1169776#fisherman_s_bay-balron-m18_hellcat

http://wotreplays.com/site/1169777#ruinberg-balron-m18_hellcat

Edit: Uh, and I forgot to mention, that I am not that good with other tanks either :) But I am really curious about the Hellcat specifically.

With the hellcat it's all about abusing camo speed and your gun depression, move to a spot where you can't get spotted and just deal damage from there. If needed you relocate to a better spot at a certain amount of time. It's basically just try to get into fights where you have the advantage and then move on from there. With the amazing speed on that tank relocating is easy and you're able to adjust to almost any situation.

I watched your replay on fishermans bay, for a player like me who tries to play aggressive I didn't like your initial camping position. I would have gone somewhere to the middle, especially in a hellcat and get some spots in before the enemy team got into town. The position you were in at the start relied on your teammates to spot for you, and relying on your team is always a bad thing. If  you would have gone to the middle you would have been able to get some better shots on those 2 heavies at F5/6 and possibly on those Td's spotted on later in the match and would have ended the match with more damage.  

Perhaps you are expecting too much because of the reputation for being OP, and thus the tanks are failing under those demands?

For instance, early on I tended to rely on the IS-6's armor to do way more than it was capable of because I knew it had an excellent reputation, and I occasionally struggled with penetrating it when I played against it.  I would do things I would never do in something like my M103, because the mediocre rep made me more conscious of caution in positioning and exposure.

Just because a tank is considered "OP" (strong emphasis on that term, as it is widely misused), doesn't mean that that tank can do anything. Take the KV-1S. It may be considered "OP", but take it into a situation where your armor is useless or you're out DPMed and you're screwed. Play "OP" tanks like you would any tank... like it has strengths and weaknesses. 

For the record, I don't think many tanks in this game are necessarily OP, just better than other tanks, which should be acceptable. The current KV-1S could use a small re balance same as the Hellcat, but the minute people start throwing around the word OP is when WG nerfs decent tanks into oblivion which is why I mostly disagree with the use of the word. An example of something I would call OP, would be the CGC or the FV304. I might even call the ST-I OP, but it's not that bad.

Hi.

Find a hill and peek a boom it for about 5 minutes

Get 2K damage, k you're done that's the Hellcat. I guess you can drive around somewhat if they start pushing you but it's a really REALLY simple tank.

Don't take hits, your armor never works, hulldown is sketch at best. Don't get lit, and because of the camo@shot nerf, peekaboom instead of bush sniping. The chances of getting lit are too high imo and then you're snap shotted by a KV-85 or whatever it's called now from 300m and lose all your health.

I'm not the most experienced tanker ever, but still I'll give you some input on your replays what you could have done in another way.

1st off, Pearl River:

Bottom tier against a top tier unicum platoon, that is always difficult to tackle. First off you ran with the pack of bottom tier tanks, maybe supporting the top tiers would have been a better option. And you didn't really commit to that push, a better and faster push here from the FCM 50t and you could have resulted in less tanks lost on that flank and a successful cap. You could have used the ridge where the enemy Hellcat was to spot and shoot enemies going back to reset cap.

2nd, Fisherman's Bay:

Sitting in an always occupied camping spot, driving over a tree and then sit on it with two clickers in the enemy team? They didn't fire, bads gonna be bads, but that isn't exactly something you should rely on. It's also a very passive position, in a matchup like that you can (and should) be a bit more aggressive. And you stay passive despite a lack of targets. In less then three minutes the town was steamrolled, your teammates were sitting all over the middle, the only part of your team that was still sitting further north were clickers. And then you get a bit lucky that everyone gets lit and nobody cares for you and you can farm some damage at the end. Way too passive for most of the game.

3rd, Ruinberg:

In the beginning you seemed indecisive if you wanted to take a forward position or camp at the back with the E25s. You could have pushed forward to the usual medium position in the small town, providing vision for the E25s and denying the enemy the option to shoot down into the town, especially after your scouts died. Later you did not follow the E25s again, where you again could have provided vision and could have worked as a force multiplier.

And what kind of crew skills do you use on this tank? The Hellcat benefits greatly from Sixth Sense and camo.

And what kind of crew skills do you use on this tank? The Hellcat benefits greatly from Sixth Sense and camo.

"Benefits from" is an understatement..."is nearly non-functional without" would be more accurate.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, you made some good points. I especially like the comments for specific gameplay, so I would like to comment on that a bit.

1st off, Pearl River:

Bottom tier against a top tier unicum platoon, that is always difficult to tackle. First off you ran with the pack of bottom tier tanks, maybe supporting the top tiers would have been a better option. And you didn't really commit to that push, a better and faster push here from the FCM 50t and you could have resulted in less tanks lost on that flank and a successful cap. You could have used the ridge where the enemy Hellcat was to spot and shoot enemies going back to reset cap.

- From what I know, the top part of this map was always for heavy tanks and I have no idea how to be a support there, so that's why I didn't even consider going with them.
- Pushing my flank harder and moving to enemy base. I gonna try that next time. Didn't think about it probably because I was in a "bottom tier paper tank" mode, so I was trying to stay "a bit" away from the battle fronts.
- This was the game where I was able to farm good damage, but didn't really help team that much :X

2nd, Fisherman's Bay:

Sitting in an always occupied camping spot, driving over a tree and then sit on it with two clickers in the enemy team? They didn't fire, bads gonna be bads, but that isn't exactly something you should rely on. It's also a very passive position, in a matchup like that you can (and should) be a bit more aggressive. And you stay passive despite a lack of targets. In less then three minutes the town was steamrolled, your teammates were sitting all over the middle, the only part of your team that was still sitting further north were clickers. And then you get a bit lucky that everyone gets lit and nobody cares for you and you can farm some damage at the end. Way too passive for most of the game.

- Right, putting down the trees was lame. I I know I shouldn't do it, but I usually don't take it that seriously at the beginning of the match, where I don't expect them to be looking for this already. But it actually sounds like what they should do, so I need to stop doing it.
- Passive, yea. I feel like every place further from base will get me killed :) Town? NO! Middle? Some little scout with autoloader will probably circle me to death. East valley? Everybody is camping at the end, so once I get lit up, I am insta dead. So where do I go? Let's camp this warm place behind a bush. Once I do this, there are mostly just two results:
a. our team gets obliterated quickly and I can snipe incoming enemies (50% chance)
b. enemy team gets obliterated quickly and I get basically 0 damage game (50% chance) - this often happens when I decide to camp

3rd, Ruinberg:

In the beginning you seemed indecisive if you wanted to take a forward position or camp at the back with the E25s. You could have pushed forward to the usual medium position in the small town, providing vision for the E25s and denying the enemy the option to shoot down into the town, especially after your scouts died. Later you did not follow the E25s again, where you again could have provided vision and could have worked as a force multiplier.

- I watched the replay and yea... I was pretty much useless in this match (as in the previous one).
- I was afraid (again) to push more into town as I exped meds to be there and I still keep the ninja style while playing Hellcat. If I would have went there, I believe I would get destroyed by AMX 12t and E25
- Ad following E25. I at first though that I could reset cap of our base while they cap. But then I saw everyone decide to fight in town again, so I tried to go in and flank, but it was too late.

My crew is quite weak. All guys are at 83% of a first skill - Camo. I will of course get 6th sense once I get to 100%, but that's not gonna happen sooner than Hellcat nerf anyway.

So overall, I think that I really match what I have lately read about yellow/green players - we do not know where to go and our decisions are poor. I feel that's exactly me.

+ I am a pussy in the Hellcat.

For Pearl River: You have gun depression and speed. There is a ridge in the north corridor there, which a fast tank like yours can use as an ambush position on the first tank that pokes around the corner. That stalls them or diverts their attention, so your team has time to get into position. After that you can fall back and support them (tricky) or support mid, either follow the path to the center or drive along the mountain side so that you end up above the east entrace to the center, you have limited shots into the center from there aswell. Exposed, but unexpected and gives you lots of options to flex.

For Fisherman's Bay: Don't venture alone and the circling becomes less of a problem. Sure, you can always get zerged/yolo'ed if you are not a million miles from the front line. If you go to the middle just outside the town there are some bushes, they provide excellent cover without exposing too much. Don't go all in and just yolo the center, but get stuck in and make spots and shots happen. There are even bushes in the town, you can peek-a-boom the main road. There are options here. West is a campfest most of the time, that's not where you want to be.

For Ruinberg: Playing the Hellcat like a medium requires a bit of anticipation because you lack agility (=traverse speeds), but in this case just as with Fisherman's Bay it's not good to yolo through the middle but rather use cover and peek for spots and shots. If the enemy would yolo in they had a good chance of getting pummeled by the E25s. If you get threatened by a tank fall back a bit so he has to expose himself to the E25s to shoot you (ideally you anticipate the move and he gets shredded before he can shoot you).

Again: Take my advice with a grain of salt, I do lack experience and I am still learning myself.