dualmaster333

Auf. Panther - Is it really that awful?

I am going to enjoy freexping straight to the RU251 and skipping the awfulpanzer.

I hope you guys enjoy your grind :)

Rub it in why don't ya 

Will do. I will upload screenshots of me freexping straight into the RU251 and post them here as well.

The Awful isn't bad enough to require free-xp in my opinion. Granted, it is a lesser tank than many of its competitors and the only thing that makes it stand out is its ramming power but it still performs acceptably well. It can passive scout if need be. The gun is perfectly workable and the speed is decent enough. It's not a "wow this tank is great" vehicle like the T71 but in competent hands it can carry the occasional game and will be a decent support tank in the rest.

I never understand people who just feed WG their gold rather than try a tank out first. If you can't handle it at all, you can still throw free-xp at your problem - but without trying ...?

For my part I have found a lot of tanks that suffer from a bad rep perform much better than I expected. Two examples:

• Lorraine: the tank has a nice autoloader and great speed - no tank combining these two features can be shit. Its rep only suffers because many players are too inflexible to adapt to its peciuliarities from the scout playstyle that the rest of the line offers.
  • ARL39: 100mm and a willingness to spam gold for extra damage transform it into an above average tier VI TD.

I play tanks to have fun, I don't want to play a shitload of battles in an average to poor tank and waste hours of my life playing something I just don't really want to play.

I want to play the ru251, so I will freexp to it. I have a job and disposable income, so I spend it on a hobby.

I don't get why people willfully grind through tanks unless it's a money issue.

I really don't understand what the gripe is with the Aufklarungspanzer. I actually like the tank a lot and is one of my keeper tanks. Then again, I have weird taste in tanks (I <3 Chi Ri), so maybe it's just me being a weirdo.

I found the Aufkl to be a pretty good at dishing damage and anti-scouting. It is also very flexible due to the speed and the camo on the move (with camo skills, this becomes pretty good). I found the grind to the Indien Panzer effortless and actually look forward to grinding it again for the RU251. I've grounded to 50k exp or so, so unfortunately my time messing around with it might be shorter than I hoped.

But yeah, compared to other tanks, it seems mediocre in all aspects, but something about the tank just clicks with me.

I had a gentleman's 58% over 60 games in this thing and that to me is out-of-this-world spectacular. 

-Too slow to be a lot of fun.  

-"More armored" for a light but still totally insignificant

-Standing/moving camo of 10% and base view of 390 (nothing to write home about) 

-Too big to do much passive scouting when needed

-Gun needs gold since you can't easily pull big/sneaky flanks for big damage game 

-Tier X

+Doesn't get one shot (mostly)

+You can ram an enemy LT once in 50 games, track yourself doing so and then die. 

+Can wreck face on tier 7 matches

Just not that fun, too reliant on gold and doesn't have a niche.

Just get a Leo I (or PTA) for near-identical matchmaking, better view range, Better camo (Much BETTER stationary camo-Identical moving camo-BETTER firing camo) better traverse, similar P/W, no need for gold, higher top speed and sexiness factor. 

Bonus: People will want to platoon with you

The Awful isn't bad enough to require free-xp in my opinion. Granted, it is a lesser tank than many of its competitors and the only thing that makes it stand out is its ramming power but it still performs acceptably well. It can passive scout if need be. The gun is perfectly workable and the speed is decent enough. It's not a "wow this tank is great" vehicle like the T71 but in competent hands it can carry the occasional game and will be a decent support tank in the rest.

I never understand people who just feed WG their gold rather than try a tank out first. If you can't handle it at all, you can still throw free-xp at your problem - but without trying ...?

The auflPanther costs 1,360,000 silver.  If you were to buy that silver from WG you are talking 3400 gold.

The FreeXP required to free XP the thing is 117,200 (92,700 for the RU-251 + 24,500 for the unique engine, assuming you don't have the E 50 elited).  This requires 4688 gold.  

We are talking 1288 gold difference.  This is roughly $3.68 in US dollars or two large sodas.  

I can afford to give up a couple of sodas to not play a tank most people find to not be fun.  

Well I played my first 12 Games (and some stronghold shenanigans) now and think its not as bad as everybody says. Ofc its not a tiny fast passive Scout, but i didnt expect one. The Gun is aimaizingly accurate for a scout gun and you can really dpm the shit out of Sides of Heavies. Vs other scouts i mostly try to ram them to survive, cos the Aufkl is way too sluggish to dogfight. 

Its that much fun, that i actually consider keeping it after finishing my grind to RU/Leopard, but that feeling will probably only last until i see dozens of TX's...

Welp. Decided I was going to skip the VK3002D and Ind Pz en route to the Leopard Tanks. Just bought this fat queen last night. Anyone have any replays to help me out?

So Scout of Steel in Limbo got a High Caliber in his Awful.

I am literally in awe of his ability right now. I have never seen an Awful do well, just acceptably.

But HC? Daaaaamn son.

From a while ago (back when I had the tank), but this was a 3200 damage game on Prok. This thing's gun can do work. 

http://www.wotreplays.org/replay/527fb479eaa0d4555c010000.html

The auflPanther costs 1,360,000 silver.  If you were to buy that silver from WG you are talking 3400 gold.

The FreeXP required to free XP the thing is 117,200 (92,700 for the RU-251 + 24,500 for the unique engine, assuming you don't have the E 50 elited).  This requires 4688 gold.  

We are talking 1288 gold difference.  This is roughly $3.68 in US dollars or two large sodas.  

I can afford to give up a couple of sodas to not play a tank most people find to not be fun.  

You didn't get my point at all. I didn't say 'don't free-xp a tank - ever' what I said was: "Try it first!"

There are a lot of tanks with a bad rep that aren't all that bad. The Lorraine is my favourite example. Hell, that thing has a 6 shell autoloader with 1800 potential damage mounted on an extremely mobile platform. If people can't make good use of a tank with such traits, it's them being stupid or too lazy to adapt.

But of course you can be a bimbo and free-xp every tank about which you have heard bad things. I am sure you will arrive at tier X being a much better player because of it.

Also, I rather consume a few more tasty beverages than give more cash to WG.

You didn't get my point at all. I didn't say 'don't free-xp a tank - ever' what I said was: "Try it first!"

There are a lot of tanks with a bad rep that aren't all that bad. The Lorraine is my favourite example. Hell, that thing has a 6 shell autoloader with 1800 potential damage mounted on an extremely mobile platform. If people can't make good use of a tank with such traits, it's them being stupid or too lazy to adapt.

But of course you can be a bimbo and free-xp every tank about which you have heard bad things. I am sure you will arrive at tier X being a much better player because of it.

Also, I rather consume a few more tasty beverages than give more cash to WG.

lorraine is a bad example in this case, its a terrible piece if shit :P

but ur right, a lot of tanks with bad reputation are fairly good if not close to OP (KV3 comes to mind, as top tier is plain and simple OP vs tier 8/9 is really good, yet many say its a ``poor tank`` (it totally shits on T29 or tiger in the role of top tier heavy...)

Welp. Decided I was going to skip the VK3002D and Ind Pz en route to the Leopard Tanks. Just bought this fat queen last night. Anyone have any replays to help me out?

I have a few replays, most outdated.

Not sure if they work though, since most of them are pre 9.0.

So Scout of Steel in Limbo got a High Caliber in his Awful.

I am literally in awe of his ability right now. I have never seen an Awful do well, just acceptably.

But HC? Daaaaamn son.

3 High calibres on mine, 1 Top Gun. Although I probably have way more games in it than he does.

but ur right, a lot of tanks with bad reputation are fairly good if not close to OP (KV3 comes to mind, as top tier is plain and simple OP vs tier 8/9 is really good, yet many say its a ``poor tank`` (it totally shits on T29 or tiger in the role of top tier heavy...)

Lol, I wouldn't even have considered the KV-3 as a tank that might have a bad rep. :happy: 

The Tiger has its DPM, the T29 is the king of hulldown, the KV-3 is the third great tier VII heavy able to dominate through sidescraping and alpha.

I just bought the AUF. Panther and have not used it much yet. I think it has a role as an anti-scout. Most scouts it will meet have no armor such you can trade shots with them. Your shots do damage while many of theirs bounce. With the latest patch there are more scouts out than ever.

I need some advice on playing this thing...

I started out scouting in the Aufkl. Panther when I realized that with only the second engine and the sheer size of this thing (I'm as large as many of the heavies on my teams .-.) not only keeps me from doing passive scouting but active scouting is largely out of the window as I never go invisible after doing a run or two.

So instead I'm currently trying to use it as a semi-medium light tank, using the 7,5/5,5 to do damage rather than scout. Found that works well in tier 8 matches but I tend to suffer in tier 9/10 matches. Have yet to see a tier 7 match.

Would you all say this is the best course of action? Play it more like a medium/damage dealer rather than attempting to scout?

And what about when I get the top engine? I'm only about 6k XP away (earning 500-700 XP per game) so I'm trying to plan out how much of a game changer that'll be.

i have been using this as an antiscout/medium. I have 50 games in it with a 64% WR so I think I'm doing something right. (hope I didn't just jinx myself). I binge played Nov 11, 31 games with a 71% WR. I used the double xp bonuses to get the crew through their first skill.

I think I used free xp to max the engine. This tank can hit 60kmh with all equipment maxed. It also bounces a lot of shots because you can sidescrape. Its great if you can use terrain to hull down because the turret is such a small target.

I'm guessing this tank is perceived as less of a threat the way other scouts might be so its not targeted as much.

I'm really enjoying it. After all the negative comments I've read I expected the worst but gave it a shot anyway.

Thought I'd move a bit of the current topic of my CoC into here:

I got myself a Awful. It isn't as awful as I thought it would be. Well, except how much it costs to run. The AP is workable because of the accuracy, but it's really hard to let go of 220 pen in any situation. I lose 20-40k per game that I spam APCR in. Even penning all your shots, you're going to take hits like that. You really need to go out of your way to limit the APCR you use, even in situations where it'd be helpful. I'm all for getting all the performance you can out of a tank, but losing half a million per day is just way too much.

So, onto the awful, a few positive things of note:

• Having some armour is actually useful. There's a huge difference between having thin armour (Awful, LTTB) and being overmatched everywhere. You actually get ricochets, which is nice, and arty does not pop you nearly as often.
  • The gun is as close to a laser as you're going to get on a light tank. It has incredible velocity, even with AP, great accuracy, decent bloom, and a quick aimtime. This is pretty useful.
  • 220 pen is amazing.
  • Good gun dep everywhere that isnt your rear. -10 to the sides is great.

And negative:

• The HP boon is not really noticable. When this tank gets buffed, I sorely hope they increase the HP by 100 or so. The Awfulpanther having the same HP as the LTTB is weird.
  • It's not awful compared to the old lights, but the new ones? The bulldog stomps on this thing so hard that it's not even fair.
  • Why is it so big?

I'm not sure if I'll grind the entire thing out, but that'd be more because the tank is costing me a fortune to run than anything else. The tank just clicks with me, especially on the more open maps, and grabbing a 1300 base/mastery badge on my first game sure did help.

If a light gets to your team's back line the Auf is very good at running them down and killing them prior to reaching arty.  Lock on to the light, chase them at 60 while continually firing.  If possible, ram.  Very satisfying.  The Auf has a tough time in high tier battles, but when it is in a tier VIII battle it is an OP medium.   (As are ALL VII scouts, ha.)

Geez, I dunno guys.  I play the Auf solo almost all of the time and I have a 57% win rate. Not bad for a mediocre tanker such as myself.

I love it!  It's a great counter-scout and gap-exploitation machine.  If you can get behind a group of opposing tanks that are holding off a friendly push, the high RoF will let you put a shell into the back of each of them in short order, which will REALLY cause them to shit themselves.

Just got from FTR, it will be replaced by SP.I.C ?