Scolopax

Centurion Mk. I

I've been planning on grabbing the Centurion Mk. I for a while now, and with it going on sale, now becomes the opportune time to buy it.  Before I do though, I'd like to get an idea of how to start off with it stock, how to progress in it tech-wise, and how to generally play it at all settings.  I have a bit over 20k free experience to work with, and I planned on researching the 17-pounder off the bat to help the grind.  However, I also have a little bit of gold that could be potentially used to convert some xp with.

You can do some stuff with the 17pdr, but basically you should critical path for the 20pdr.

You'll need the suspension first, or to fit enhanced suspension until you've gotten there.

Pay credits for the enhanced suspension and use your XP to get to the 20 pounder as quickly as possible.  This tank is a turd without it. With the 20 pounder it is still a bit of a turd but becomes more workable.

Actually, the accuracy buff with 8.6 seems to have helped out the Centurion a LOT.  Despite the "good" accuracy it always seemed to shoot anywhere except the middle of the circle.  Now it seems to hit dead on target a lot more.

Will free exp the turret and 20 pounder then and load up the enhanced suspension for the time being.  Have a Rammer, Vert. stab., and WAR waiting for it, but I'll leave the WAR off for the moment until I research the upgraded tracks.

Any more suggestions with gameplay?  Hear you need to try and play a support sniper with it.

The gun is your first priority for the Centurions. That is what makes those tanks and without it a Centurion is a useless heavy (big and slow) that doesn't even have armor. Focus on getting things that directly affect your ability to shoot things. The turret is next. They have decent turret armor that allow you to peek and shoot more. Everything else is just icing on the cake but I would guess tracks next. You'll never be fast so the engine isn't a high priority. 

I am playing the Cent1 at the moment, and i am honestly a little frustrated.

I just cannot seem to perform consistently in it. Some games I drop 4k damage and seem to be in the prefect positions at the perfect times, and then others i am a burning wreck with not even 1k done.

I THINK my main problem is that i am used to brawly ruskie mediums, and i am having trouble adjusting to the Cent's "mid range" preference. Combine this with me still having trouble finding "good" spots to engage from in the cent on many maps, and I think this might explain my inconsistency in it. I tried playing it a bit like a more mobile T29... but that didn't work out so well.

I think i struggle with knowing where and when to engage with it, and when a favourable position is not viable due to lack of team support. Unfortunately, its not quite mobile enough for me to extract myself from a bad position after I put myself in one...

It's frustrating because the good games I have in it prove to me that if i just played it correctly more of the time, I would be beastly in it... GRRR

For those of you who have gotten use to the cent... How do you cope with the fact that it requires certain conditions to use effectively... IE - you NEED to be in certain map positions to use it properly.. Hull down, at mid to long range... yet ... quite often, those positions are untenable without team support, and on some maps (himmle for example) i just cant find anywhere to put its strengths into play.

For those of you who have gotten use to the cent... How do you cope with the fact that it requires certain conditions to use effectively... IE - you NEED to be in certain map positions to use it properly.. Hull down, at mid to long range... yet ... quite often, those positions are untenable without team support, and on some maps (himmle for example) i just cant find anywhere to put its strengths into play.

I know what you are saying but every tank has to leave it's comfort zones sometimes. Sometimes you have to scout in an E-100 or cap as a Hummel. The Centurion definitely prefers long range fighting but it can actually do decently up close (like locked hulls close) if they can only hit the turret. It does have decent hit points even if it is fragile so it can beat some of the weaker tanks just by outlasting them (think how a Tiger "tanks" incoming fire). It may not be good at much besides sniping but that doesn't mean it's absolutely useless when it isn't doing that. Do what you can to avoid fire but don't hide in behind a house because you got hit.

Be the sniper support for your medium/heavy push. Even if that means you aren't hull-down on a hill somewhere. Be close enough to shoot what they see but far enough away that they have trouble hitting you.

Most of my medium experience is with German mediums and American mediums so I just combined the two skillsets and the UK line seemed to click for me. It's kind of tough to explain the Centurions. They just have a unique style that you either get or you don't. Maybe it just hasn't clicked for you yet or maybe it just isn't your kind of tank.

Hello all, first post but I've been lurking these forums for a while now.

I've recently had a 180 with my opinion on the British mediums. I adore the Comet now and do very well in it. With that I've decided to pursue them to at least the tier 9 Centurion Mk.7/1 which I hear much good about. 

However, the Centurion Mk.1 is murdering my stats. Like OP I cannot get consistent games with this thing. I've already got it elited (except for the radio) so I have all the equipment, but I just can't get a good handle on this tank. On average I can usually pull much more damage in the Comet than I can with the Cent Mk.1. I think what's really killing me is the drastic drop in DPM from the Comet. Whereas in the Comet it's pretty easy to "accidentally" rack up huge damage counts for a fragile medium, the 20pdr's DPM is practically non-existent in comparison.

I really don't know what to do. The 20pdr's relative inaccuracy compared to the 17pdr's, coupled with the immense DPM loss has me switching back and forth between the two guns because I have so much trouble doing proper damage with the 20pdr. The 17pdr is comfortable for me and I tend to just make up for the lack of pen with gold rounds when I need to. Money isn't really an object for me right now. The aim time on the 20pdr forces me to take much longer to take my shots, and the low rate of fire makes every missed or bounced shot that much more punishing.

There's already been some great posts in this thread about trying to work around it, but I don't know. I'm kind of at a loss for the Centurion, and it sounds like something I just have to tough it out until the Mk.7/1 where you get the Type B and the L7A1.

I agree with ShakesFIST in that you sometimes have to break out of your comfort zone.  One example, though in my Cent 7, was very common in my Cent 1: 

I was in a tier 10 battle and was only one of three tier 8s...7 tier 10s.  I was sniping from a valley that oepend into the field, hanging with an E100, tier 10 Brit TD (BEAST!) and a couple other heavies.  I was the only medium, and we waited, sniping until our team began to break through on the other side of the field.  I let my team know I wil lbe charging to the backside of their E100, asked them to follow. 

I rolled out and took a huge E100 shot to the face, but dodged a couple other hasty shots from other enemies and got to the backside of the E100.  My team came into view of him shortly after and devastated him.  Then I pushed down a hill and began flanking the two TDs guarding the field.  They both turned at me and absolutely obliterated me, but in the meantime, my team shot them to death in their sides and back. 

I can't say I "won the game," but certainly changed the circumstances of the battle in our favor.  I do this with any medium, even some fastish other tanks, like my SU-101m.  Yes, I may die, but I "turn them inside out," at the right moment and it allows my team to roll.  It is a matter of gaining the initiative, making them react to you, instead of the other way around.  It is a tactical matter, not a tank matter. 

Oh, and OP, once I realized what was going on with that gun once I opened Cent 1, I ran the heavy Brit line from my Church I through Church VII up to Black Prince, opened the 20 pounder, then came back to the Cent 1 and began playing.  :)

I've found the Centurion I to be great......when the situation is availible. When you have to perform something out of the mid-long range sniping niche, the Centurion becomes very underwhelming. It doesnt help that it is bulky and cannot take return fire whatsoever, unless the enemy's shot happens to hit the (rather small) mantlet. Basically, when you try to get in close, or you try to push, the Centurion fails pretty miserably. My experience is that you can't force situations in this tank, and that it issusequently very hard to carry in.

Extremely situational tank, I've found, as it's a slow lumbering medium that's specialized in sniping.  I have good stats in it, and indeed peaked at around 53% solopubbing, but it's way better in a platoon where you can hang back and support your squad as they push forward.

The Centurions (Both marks) are some of my favorite tanks in WoT. Mostly since they're one of my favorites in real life. One thing I will say though. If you're not hulldown, you're dead.

I have ~1950 WN7 in it (Mk.1). Mostly since I solopubbed every battle and potato'd every other game because I accidentally overextended.

Kinda makes me sad when people are flaming the Comet then saying they're so excited for the Centurion and then asks me how the Cent is.

Here's a fancy replay I guess :v.

Victory!, Centurion, Live Oaks, 7/5/13 2:31 PM: 2,557 nXP, 5,547 dmg

Fancy 2,557 exp game (no x'Whatevers or events) and team carry. In this replay, you can see how much I fucking hate RNG (Watch me miss a lot open shots and bounce a SU-152's front, APCR off T34 hull multiple times, stuff like that). Also, something like this wouldn't have been possible at all with the 17 pndr since the Centurion absolutely relies on the 20 pndr to not be shit. Sure the 17 pndr has more DPM, but you can't apply it since the penetration is too low and you're too slow and unarmored to get up close to flank or trade shots.

Use the 20 pounder. That gun makes the Centurion not utter shit. Otherwise, it's slow and has no armor except on its mantlet. It NEEDS to stay at a good range and abuse it's fantastic viewrange while keeping it's low mobility and armor to a minimum. The gun is great too. I found that you kinda need a Vert Stab with it or else it never ever shoots where you aim. Even then, it still tends to shoot the ground more than Arty does.

Recommended equipment: Coated Optics (Abuse that viewrange), Rammer (Makes the terrible reload a bit less terrible), Vert Stab (Everything fucking completely misses without this and Snap Shot and 100% crew).

I can't stress Coated Optics over vents enough on this tank. Don't fucking get vents. There are FAR better options. Unless you've got a BIA and food consumable or something to stack onto the Vents, but that's generally not the case.

Crew skills: Sixth sense, anything that shoves up viewrange (I'd prioritize viewrange over camo since the Centurions have next to no camo anyways, meaning any camo bonus would be pretty negligible), and I chose Safe Stowage since the Centurions can't seem to go a round without getting ammoracked at the first shot and your already shit fire rate will be living hell. Then you repair it and the next shot just damages it again. Oh, and Snap Shot feels extremely needed since otherwise, all your fucking shots think they're fired from an arty. Well, even after Snap Shot, they still do. I went with Smooth Ride too, since when you hulldown in the Cent, you should never be just standing there (arty will happily click you over that T95 standing right next to you in the open and a lot of stuff WILL pen your turret if carefully aimed). I find moving back and forth in and out of a hulldown moving in a straight line works great. 

Also, WG needs to buff the Centurions hard. The rate of fire on these things fucking suck ten dicks and it doesn't have any excuse since this tank is pure firepower-based (for a medium anyways) and has the shittiest mobility in class nearly (ofc Super Pershing is slowest, but that's practically a heavy), nearly no armor to speak of (Super Pershing at least compensates for its slowness by a lot of armor plates duct-taped to the front). The firepower isn't even that much better.

It breaks my heart to see such an amazing, prolific tank from real life be so downright mediocre in WoT.

It breaks my heart to see such an amazing, prolific tank from real life be so downright mediocre in WoT.

You sure? I liked the Mk. 1, and I stat-pad adore my Mk. 7/1.

And I think you're referring to their top speed, not their mobility.

What's the reload of the 20pdr on this thing? The Caernarvon, which uses the same turret (actually the Mark II turret) has 6.75 reload on the 20.

What's the reload of the 20pdr on this thing? The Caernarvon, which uses the same turret (actually the Mark II turret) has 6.75 reload on the 20.

Including equipment?

Just got this tank today and I think its love at first sight.

Currently running, rammer, v-stab and tracks until I grind the suspension. All other modules fitted via caern gind. The 20pdr type A does troll sometimes but overall its a great gun and the turret works great. I think I'll swap the tracks for coated optics to abuse the view range of this thing once I have the suspension. I play it up front most of the time anyway, only pulling back when I'm bottom tier. But even then its good to have the aggressive scout option open.

Can anybody give me some tips on how to handle city maps though? I'd like tips a tricks for himmelsdorf and ensk especially. I often find myself lost on those maps, duking it out with the big lads.

A shade under 7.5 seconds.

Funny, my 91% crew with vents and rammer do me a 7 seconds dead. My feeling is that reload will be at about 6.75 when they hit 100.

I play quite aggressively so my choice for third equipment slot will be vstab, and if I need viewrange, I'll just toon up with someone who has said viewrange :P

I repurchased my Centurion I and can't help but ask myself "why". It's incredibly mediocre and has nothing going for it except penetration.

I feel like the proper way to play this tank is to play like a really bad turreted TD with no camo, since it's completely hopeless in close combat. Dem glass modules, dat lack of any armor at all, dat size. Ew. It sort of reminds me of the Indienpanzer, but instead of crippling aimtime, you get crippling survivability.

I repurchased my Centurion I and can't help but ask myself "why". It's incredibly mediocre and has nothing going for it except penetration.

I feel like the proper way to play this tank is to play like a really bad turreted TD with no camo, since it's completely hopeless in close combat. Dem glass modules, dat lack of any armor at all, dat size. Ew. It sort of reminds me of the Indienpanzer, but instead of crippling aimtime, you get crippling survivability.

The only reason to play the Cent I is to unlock the 7/1

Is the 7/1 something other than reliable? That has to be the most boring trait I have ever seen, and it seems like a reoccurring theme on everything from the church 1/comet up. I'd like to be able to do something other than be reliably mediocre.

I stubbornly ground through the Centurion, but it completely crushed my will to continue that line.  The crew went back to the Comet.

The other day I went around a corner with my 50 120 and ended up face to face with a full health Cent 7/1.  I shot through his upper plate.  First shell damaged the ammo rack.  Second shell detonated the ammo rack.  

Is the 7/1 something other than reliable? That has to be the most boring trait I have ever seen, and it seems like a reoccurring theme on everything from the church 1/comet up. I'd like to be able to do something other than be reliably mediocre.

Towards the end of my run, I was getting better performance out of my Cent 7/1 than out of my T-54. It forced me to play a methodical, patient game that emphasized my strengths while minimizing my tendency to potato. Now granted it isn't the powerhouse the T-54 is, but it has a lot of strengths one can utilize. And DAT GUN. It is hard to overstate how magnificent a weapon the L7A1 is at tier 9.