Scolopax

Centurion Mk. I

188 posts in this topic

Everything about Centurion I just feels too slow.

It's top speed prevents getting into good positions in the beginning of the game. It prevents moving around in mid-game and it prevents efficient mopping up in end-game. You can not tank and flanking is hard. Playing as a TD is stupid too, since you got only 230 alpha and 1700ish DPM.

The gun is accurate, but the movement bloom of the gun is a bit too high. It feels like you have to stop for a moment too long time to shoot efficiently. Which isn't a problem in something like Type 59, but in a paper tank like Cent1, you'll just get shot back.

Front turret armor might be strong. Or at least half of it. The slope above the mantlet gets penetrated by most tier 6 guns.

Same thing with traverse. It just feels sluggish.

So maybe the average stats are good, because nothing about Centurion I is really bad. It's the same reason why lots of good players hate the tank - there's nothing good about it either.

Personally I hate the thing. It feels like I'm never in the right place at the right time, because the tank is too slow to react to the situation.

This tank is just trash. Unreliable turret, poor form for hull down, lousy camo, slow as fuck, paper hull armor with huge tracks AND front ammo racks. Lacking agility, HUGE and easy to hit, unexceptional gold round. Basically it has one thing going for it, accuracy, and yet it aims so goddamn slow that it never gets into play. 100% crew, GLD, vert stabilizer I shit you not it's still a 3s+ aim time from a 15kph nudge of movement. What the hell is wrong with this tank? Its firing on the move stats seem fine on http://gamemodels3d.com/worldoftanks/ yet it aims like a Russian heavy, killing the one salvageable property. The Pershing drops more bombs than this piece of tea snorting crap despite worse accuracy because it has 10 more pen and actually gets on target sometime this week.

EDIT: Actually, you know, it's the turret rotation killing it. It's significantly worse than the Pershing or FCM50t, 0.12 vs. 0.16. So, yay, awesome, a sniper with bad gun control.

They should cut the reload down by 1-2 seconds on the 20lbr.  I just got the 7/1 and played it with the B barrel until I could unlock the 105, and the 5s reload is a night and day improvement.  The pen and low alpha are not ideal at tier 9, but at least when you put yourself in a good position you can actually post some damage.  The other limitations on the tank are character building, but the DPM is just too low.

This tank is just trash. Unreliable turret, poor form for hull down, lousy camo, slow as fuck, paper hull armor with huge tracks AND front ammo racks. Lacking agility, HUGE and easy to hit, unexceptional gold round. Basically it has one thing going for it, accuracy, and yet it aims so goddamn slow that it never gets into play. 100% crew, GLD, vert stabilizer I shit you not it's still a 3s+ aim time from a 15kph nudge of movement. What the hell is wrong with this tank? Its firing on the move stats seem fine on http://gamemodels3d.com/worldoftanks/ yet it aims like a Russian heavy, killing the one salvageable property. The Pershing drops more bombs than this piece of tea snorting crap despite worse accuracy because it has 10 more pen and actually gets on target sometime this week.

EDIT: Actually, you know, it's the turret rotation killing it. It's significantly worse than the Pershing or FCM50t, 0.12 vs. 0.16. So, yay, awesome, a sniper with bad gun control.

Well, the Cent 1 can at least spot its own targets when parked behind a bush, unlike the other semi recent tier 8 high penetration AP medium.

So let's see:

+Vertical Stabalizer

+GLD

+100% Snap Shot

+Pudding and Tea

=turret rotation finally only takes ~2.8 to aim in on a gun with a (very) theoretical 2.3 aim time.

This is making it playable, but man is it a one trick pony. Snipe snipe snipe, occasional hull down, everything else is borked.

After 100 games in Centurion I, I shall make blunt statement.

This tank is the worst tank (as in not TD or arty) in the game over tier 5.

I dunno about that, I just finished my Churchill VII grind and it's going to give me nightmares for years. Centurion I did pretty well in.

The centurion is like a slower, unarmored and undergunned Pershing, so...it does verything the persing does only worse. What the fuck, why am I playing this piece of shit?

Slow and underarmored (mostly the hull, turret can have some pretty trolio moments) compared to the Pershing is a most definite yes, but how is it undergunned? Unless your strictly talking about shooting nothing but gold.

Slow and underarmored (mostly the hull, turret can have some pretty trolio moments) compared to the Pershing is a most definite yes, but how is it undergunned? Unless your strictly talking about shooting nothing but gold.

The Pershing's mantlet is massive compared to the Centurion's. You're going to have people yoloing shots through your forehead and mantlet sides a lot.

The only advantage that the 20pdr has over the Pershing's 90mm is AP pen, if you're willing to fire some APCR they're pretty much the same and the Pershing's superior bloom allows it to get shots off more effectively, hence greater effective firepower.

Is it just me ? I was toying with equipments , swapped rammer for GLD, had ran vert/GLD/optic for 10+ games and I *felt* I was doing better than before. quick snap hit more often, pop shoot and retreat quicker. In one occasion I missed rammer but it was a losing game anyway when 3 tanks were coming into my face after my whole team vanished.

I dumped optics and am using GLD/vert/rammer + food and it seems to be more effective now that the fire control is good enough to actually HIT something. I think the GLD and vert are key, if you can't get on target you're useless.

I was loathe to give up optics but as absurdly fragile as this tank is I have no business trying to spot anyway. This and the Panther are a rare breed of tank that has the astounding ability to get completely stomped in close range fights from the horrendous frequency of critical hits you receive in addition to the huge, paper thin hulls. I've had a few times in this thing where I've actually been tracked and ammo racked in the same hit, which is absurd and a stamped ticket to screwed. I've switched from small to large repair kits for just such occasions.

After this session I started to doubt the usefulness of optic in centurion too. I still got a lot of spotted dmg but after considered the distance I might still able to light them up without optic. Many times still I failed to see through bush until the stationary TD fired.

For science I will put vent in place of optic next.

I finally finished the grind in 209 games. My WN8 performance was very very mediocre at best. However considered it is one of my very few tier 8 experience with 55% WR I should not ask for too much anyway.

I found in most games I struggled to make myself useful due to the slowness. Good pentration and great depression but very trollish accurancy. Overall not a enjoyable tank

I knida like it, it forces me into a slower, less aggressive play style that is doing wonderful for my stats, though I've only got 59 battles@52.54% in it so far running a rammer, vents and I'm currently using the enhanced coils, till i get the suspension in it.. last thing to upgrade in it but oince I do, I'll drop a Vstab there..

Too small of a game pool for any significant stat info but I'm enjoying playing it though

I hated this and the Caern.

I am somewhat tempted to try again now I'm a much better player but ehhhhhh they still seem mediocre. I never go 'Ohhh hell no, that's a Cent 1, better be careful'

This actually any good?!? At all? I mean not like there are good tier 8 meds aside from the FCM and Type anyway...

It's not bad, but it also has nothing special going for it. It's turret can bounce, but you can't be sure. It's view range is great, but that's nothing special at tier 8. It has decent acceleration, but the top speed is sub par. It has some camo, but it's not like a Object 416. Penetration is good, but not extraordinary. It's has decent gun depression (-8°), but because of the sheer size of the thing hull down is difficult.

Nothing about it makes you scream "ermergerd, this is terribad", but there is also nothing that makes you scream "ermergerd, Centurion OP".

edit: Obligatory pubbie stomping poasting, 4.6k dmg, 5.2k spotting, 7 kills: http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1172106#malinovka-sirknumskull-centurion_mk_i

Hey Guys,

I'm going to unlock and buy this tank on sunday coming up.  I love the Comet by the way. I didn't enjoy the Cromwell grind but the Comet is amazing.  That turret made all the difference for me.

I read somewhere that someone said that you don't need the top engine in this tank because its so slow anyway, is that good advice?  Would you guys recomend just getting the second engine?  How much speed will I gain with the top engine compared with the second?

I hated this and the Caern.

I am somewhat tempted to try again now I'm a much better player but ehhhhhh they still seem mediocre. I never go 'Ohhh hell no, that's a Cent 1, better be careful'

This actually any good?!? At all? I mean not like there are good tier 8 meds aside from the FCM and Type anyway...

Centurion is OK. You get 226 penetration, OK mobility and OK hull-down options. You also get 400m view range. What you don't get? Size, camo, RoF, gun fishy handling and no armor if you take mantlet away. Oh, and frontal ammo rack. Try whine about frontal fires now... :D Play it like T32/M26 and you should be OK.

Hey Guys,

I'm going to unlock and buy this tank on sunday coming up.  I love the Comet by the way. I didn't enjoy the Cromwell grind but the Comet is amazing.  That turret made all the difference for me.

I read somewhere that someone said that you don't need the top engine in this tank because its so slow anyway, is that good advice?  Would you guys recomend just getting the second engine?  How much speed will I gain with the top engine compared with the second?

I went for tracks by free exp, I had gun unlocked on BP, 2nd engine on Comet. So it left me with - turret, best gun, best radio and engine. I took the path of unlocking turret(much tougher), gun(hey, best way to get exp is by hurting stuff), engine and radio last.

I just unlocked the top gun last night and have only the engine to unlock then grind for the Cent 7/1.  Although I am happy with the performance of the Cent now after driving the Comet, I think I should research the engine now and then grind. The reason being I will get to the 7/1 faster but will then be at the lowest engine and from past experience the bottom engine is complete crap.  It will probably drive like a super pershing.

On another note, I dropped coated optics last night and ran wet amo rack and had no problems being ammo racked once a game or every 2nd game.  Will keep it till my loader gets 100% safe stowage which sadly won't be till near the end of the grind.

Tank has a nice gun. Any time I need to adopt a flexible playstyle instead of hanging back and farming damage I wish I was in a tank with more mobility and camo (T-44) or better soft stats (Pershing).

Especially turret bloom of 0.16 is plain hateful on a tier8.

I just unlocked the top gun last night and have only the engine to unlock then grind for the Cent 7/1.  Although I am happy with the performance of the Cent now after driving the Comet, I think I should research the engine now and then grind. The reason being I will get to the 7/1 faster but will then be at the lowest engine and from past experience the bottom engine is complete crap.  It will probably drive like a super pershing.

On another note, I dropped coated optics last night and ran wet amo rack and had no problems being ammo racked once a game or every 2nd game.  Will keep it till my loader gets 100% safe stowage which sadly won't be till near the end of the grind.

If you want to save some exp/credits on the grind just skip the top radio. It only pushes your radio range from 700m to 750m and has no difference in weight. At least you can save this for last and decide if its worth playing another ~10-15 games or skipping 9k exp to unlock the 7/1 earlier. Still have 30k exp to grind on the Cent 1 and i will be happy for every game i dont have to play in this :verysmug:

Indeed. I plan on skipping the radio. The extra range isn't going to do much. You can skip it on the 7/1 too as you will unlock it with the FV4202 automatically.

Bought this tank yesterday and played it extensively today. Seem to be doing pretty well so far. I quite enjoy it, even if it is a bit sluggish.

I'm going trough british med line because I've already gone tru heavy line, and all I can say is: fuck this tank.

Only possible way to play this turd is to snipe from across the map in a hull down position, and even that doesn't work most of the time. The gun is so bad, although it has really good values for penetration and accuracy (only good on paper!). Literally, you can't hit shit if you are not fully aimed, and even then shots tend to go anywhere but the middle of the crosshairs. I mean, I have vert stabs on, I have 100% crew with both smooth ride and snapshot skills, but accuracy is still so shitty... And DPM, oh my god... Reload time with rammer is 6,9 seconds for 230 alpha. To put things into perspective, my tier 6 heavy M6 has 240 alpha and 6,6 second reload. I consider M6 to be OP as hell, but still...

Hull down is not very viable also, since any fuckin thing can pen your turret if it misses the mantle... Hull armor is made out od wet shit, god help you if run into an autoloader of any tier. Not to mention that you will mostly play tier X games, where you will be raped hard. In any other position other than camping a bush on a fuckin hill, this tank is unbelievebly bad - slow, clubbersome and huge as a heavy, armored like a light tank and with tier 7 firepower...

Luckly, my grind was not terrible cuz I had 20pdrA and all of the engines researched, so I can only imagine the pain and suffering of those who actually had to grind this monstrosity. I am not completely  terrible in this tank, around 55% wr and over 1,5k dpg, all solopub, but I hate it so so so much. Really, this tank NEEDS 20pdrB gun (I know that would make Caernarvon obsolete but come on).

It's just so sad to see world's greatest post-WWII tank so awful... Seriously, fuck you, WG.

I'm going trough british med line because I've already gone tru heavy line, and all I can say is: fuck this tank.

Only possible way to play this turd is to snipe from across the map in a hull down position, and even that doesn't work most of the time. The gun is so bad, although it has really good values for penetration and accuracy (only good on paper!). Literally, you can't hit shit if you are not fully aimed, and even then shots tend to go anywhere but the middle of the crosshairs. I mean, I have vert stabs on, I have 100% crew with both smooth ride and snapshot skills, but accuracy is still so shitty... And DPM, oh my god... Reload time with rammer is 6,9 seconds for 230 alpha. To put things into perspective, my tier 6 heavy M6 has 240 alpha and 6,6 second reload. I consider M6 to be OP as hell, but still...

Hull down is not very viable also, since any fuckin thing can pen your turret if it misses the mantle... Hull armor is made out od wet shit, god help you if run into an autoloader of any tier. Not to mention that you will mostly play tier X games, where you will be raped hard. In any other position other than camping a bush on a fuckin hill, this tank is unbelievebly bad - slow, clubbersome and huge as a heavy, armored like a light tank and with tier 7 firepower...

Luckly, my grind was not terrible cuz I had 20pdrA and all of the engines researched, so I can only imagine the pain and suffering of those who actually had to grind this monstrosity. I am not completely  terrible in this tank, around 55% wr and over 1,5k dpg, all solopub, but I hate it so so so much. Really, this tank NEEDS 20pdrB gun (I know that would make Caernarvon obsolete but come on).

It's just so sad to see world's greatest post-WWII tank so awful... Seriously, fuck you, WG.

We will platoon with Centy once I get back to WoT these days.

-snip-

Complains about RNG distribution being worse for a particular tank or how the shot goes to the centre less than other tanks doesn't hold water on this forum. However valid the rest of your points are, you automatically lose credence if you raise this.