Scolopax

Centurion Mk. I

5th* of a second.

Well, even with BIA, Smooth Ride, Snapshot, and Vert Stab, I still feel like I expose myself a little longer than I would like to aim in on some shots. The .23 second boost would help with that, but I'm finding that ever since I slapped Optics on this thing, I'm getting huge amounts of spotting damage, without even trying. With BIA, Camo and Recon, this thing's vision game is really on point. I still get spotted pretty easily, but I usually spot whatever found me in return.

Two things kill this tank. Gun is derpy as fuck, almost French levels of terribad. Can't snapshot for shit, even fully aimed the gun is remarkably poor. Like I don't see how this gun has .33 accuracy and 2.3 second aim time. It's bad. Second, it's a motherfucking tier 8 medium. This is a tier where the heavies are drastically better than the mediums. IS-3, 50 100, T32, etc. The Pershing is meh, the STA is meh, the Centurion is easily the worst out of the three. The DPM sucks, it's literally the epitome of a pure support. It can't knife fight in close quarters, it's hella unreliable. Really bad at carrying. Suffers from the fact that tier 9s roflstomp everything below it. 

The more I play the British mediums, the more disenchanted I become with them.

Had a glorious game last night in this.  I finally achieved something I've always wanted to do in this game - I jumped on another tank and killed it.  What made it even sweeter - I jump killed a batchat.  :awyeah:

Im gonna laugh so hard if they fuck up Shitturion mk. 1 when it becomes HD. It was already horrible enough to make me ragesell it and forget that line (i have better DPG with O-IE, lol).

Cant imagine how bad the FV4202 is if Centurion is this bad :serb:

1 hour ago, leggasiini said:

Im gonna laugh so hard if they fuck up Shitturion mk. 1 when it becomes HD. It was already horrible enough to make me ragesell it and forget that line (i have better DPG with O-IE, lol).

Cant imagine how bad the FV4202 is if Centurion is this bad :serb:

I'm on the Cent 7/1 now and honestly, I like it. Not much. But I like it. The upper plate is very very strong (when hull-down over a hill), combined with a turret that bounces 60% of shots (it's alright, not as good as the cent 1) and the DPM with the type B barrel(haven't knocked out the xp grind on any guns though, still have the type A barrel) is very nice along with pretty average gun handling.

The Cent AX appears to be a completely different beast though. It trades worse turret armor (tier for tier) for infinitely better DPM and about the same upper plate

Funnily enoguh i really like that tank. It is one of the few T8s i have a good winrate in. I feel its quite reliable as well, especially with its pen. And not havin to shoot Gold is a big plus at least in my book.

But yeah, i got a crazy good crew from my Cromwell B in it. But the least I can say is that I will miss it once I am done with the grind.

Can't remember last time I played a tank as horrible as this. 

Turret barely bouncing anything, and gun hardly hitting anything, It's slow moving, slow firing, and huge.

Nothing redeeming about it, everything's crap.

Just got this. Free XP'd everything and stuck some girls in it. Hopefully it won't be as awful as advertised. Seems now like a worse handling STA-2 (which I have played a fair bit) with also worse DPM. I'm not going to pretend it has turret armor to save my sanity. Hoping to get a lot of XP from spotting with optics as I did in my caern.

Edit: Update: 1/8 wins so far. Gud Tenk Confirmed.

Arguably now we can say that FV4202p has better armor in tier than Centurion 1, especially when peeking over ridges, because FV frontal plate and top of turret become ricochet zones, and ridge peeking is preferred play style with both. The DPM and gun handling are the same. Centurion has 10m view range advantage. Mobility is effectively the same. FV4202p makes some credits and trains crews.

Centurion 7/1 is crap too for tier 9. So no relief coming. CAX is OK so there is that.

One could say that the only great medium in british tree is the Cromwell, others are OK or crap.

And talking about comparisons STA-2 gun handling is in a different league altogether. 0.16 turret dispersion is the most annoying thing in all the Centurions and FV4202p for that matter. For example IS-3 has 0.08 and M103 that many bitch about has 0.10. 0.16 turret dispersion is all in all awful in a high tier medium.

Oh and did I mention the size.. :D

5 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

Arguably now we can say that FV4202p has better armor in tier than Centurion 1, especially when peeking over ridges, because FV frontal plate and top of turret become ricochet zones, and ridge peeking is preferred play style with both. The DPM and gun handling are the same. Centurion has 10m view range advantage. Mobility is effectively the same. FV4202p makes some credits and trains crews.

Centurion 7/1 is crap too for tier 9. So no relief coming. CAX is OK so there is that.

One could say that the only great medium in british tree is the Cromwell, others are OK or crap.

And talking about comparisons STA-2 gun handling is in a different league altogether. 0.16 turret dispersion is the most annoying thing in all the Centurions and FV4202p for that matter. For example IS-3 has 0.08 and M103 that many bitch about has 0.10. 0.16 turret dispersion is all in all awful in a high tier medium.

Oh and did I mention the size.. :D

Yeah when I said "worse handling STA2" I think that was an understatement LOL.

That being said my second session went a lot better. 4 straight 2k dmg games with 1 3k mixed in as well. I think the key here is managing your expectations and this tank will exceed them occasionally. 

As for the FV, I already have every other brit prem MT so I've talked myself out of getting that one a few times but once I get to the AX I might cave and get it for crew purposes because it's the only one with a 4 crew layout since I'm using the 4 girls now so I won't get SoS when crew training otherwise.

After planning to get this tank for year and a half, I finally assembled female crews to put on it.

But after 40 games, I'm start to wonder where I played this tank wrong; as I hardly get 1k damage game, but somehow I seem to get more spotting damage than scouts on my team for some reason.

A Tier 6 can pen a turret of my hull-down tank when I'm on a high ground didn't help either.

Any help to improve my Cent is appreciated.

PS. My tank still lack top engine, but get 20 pounder already.

I didn't really know what to expect from the Cent mk I since it is my first non-premium tier 8 medium. And as a player still learning the game, I'm not sure it was the best idea to go down this line. That being said, I finally finished the grind. I'm waiting on a sale before moving on to the 7/1. I guess in a way the gun was sad--it felt derpy, but I didn't know why. The armour held up sometimes and the turret was especially effective with autobounce angles when using the gun at full depression. Otherwise it was meh.

1 hour ago, TohtoriP said:

0.20 moving

0.20 traversing

0.16 turret dispersion

There you have it.

And oh, the AC IV exp gets 0.12 bloom on turret traverse and that's two tiers lower. For some reason 

Yes, many tier6 mediums have much better turret traverse dispersion. This must be some "feature" of the Centurion-line, to make them suck even though they are officially touted to have the best and most accurate guns in the game... really buffing that one stat on the centurions and FV4202p would make them much more viable tanks in my opinion. Their effective DPM would rise to acceptable levels and you could work with that great penetration for tier8 and tier9 much better. Now they are all in all probably the worst tier8 and tier9 mediums to play (sorry forgot T-34-2 :P ). 

6 hours ago, skyf24 said:

Do yourself a favor, if the 7/1 will be your first tier 9 medium as well, hold back on it and get a T-54 instead. 

At the LTTB right now and enjoying it very much. Hopefully I'll get to the T-54 soon enough.

7 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

0.20 moving

0.20 traversing

0.16 turret dispersion

I should really do more research into bloom values. They seem to be much more influential than the fully-aimed dispersion value.

Turret armour again: A 48 Patton bitched at me all game for not penning a single shot into my turret while I was hulldown at full gun-depression sniping his cupola to death from full health. All I could say was lmao.

4 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

This must be some "feature" of the Centurion-line, to make them suck even though they are officially touted to have the best and most accurate guns in the game...

I think (and this is only my opinion) this is one of the last tanks hated by WG. RL Centurion was an amazing piece of steel, tracks and gun and it was able to knock out IS-3 in Korean war without a problem and then rekt Soviet tanks in Izrael's wars. What to do in WoT? Nerf it so much that's one of the worst MT on its tier and in the very same time make IS-3 OP. Reminder: it's just my opinion.

Yes, looking at battle reports, we should just swap IS-3 and Centurion turret dispersion values and call it a day.. no wait, call it realism :P . Unfortunately for "balancing" reasons it can not be called WG realism.