Scolopax

Centurion Mk. I

2 hours ago, sohojacques said:

Want to know how shit this tank is? 1255 base xp nets you an ace. Same territory as the Comet.

Meanwhile my Cent is giving me really good results. 

7 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

Meanwhile my Cent is giving me really good results. 

That doesn’t change the fact that it’s generally underperforming. I did 3154 damage with only around 260 assisted for that ace. Would that even be a first class in a T-44?

2 hours ago, sohojacques said:

That doesn’t change the fact that it’s generally underperforming. I did 3154 damage with only around 260 assisted for that ace. Would that even be a first class in a T-44?

It's all about players, not tank. It'a not popular (including entire line after Cromwell) among good and uni so average exp is rather low. Also there might be a time window when master badge requirements are so low - nothing new. In the very first battle in E-50M I've got ace for rather mediocre exp. :QBFlip: qb was right? 

13 hours ago, sohojacques said:

Want to know how shit this tank is? 1255 base xp nets you an ace. Same territory as the Comet.

FYI - 1196 gets you an Ace in the kv-4.

When I last played the Cent, a few years back I’m sure that you needed close to 1400 to Ace it.  

37 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

It's all about players, not tank

Chicken or the egg? Good players don’t play it for a reason. Mounted the top tracks and am now running vents which has tamed the gun handling a little. Wouldn’t mind so much if it had a bit more dpm. I don’t mind if I spray a few shots in either of my Caravans...

43 minutes ago, Hellvn said:

When I last played the Cent, a few years back I’m sure that you needed close to 1400 to Ace it.  

Was that before 3-5-7 MM? I’ve played a couple of top tier games now and it’s perfectly serviceable in that context.

33 minutes ago, sohojacques said:

Was that before 3-5-7 MM? I’ve played a couple of top tier games now and it’s perfectly serviceable in that context.

Well and truly before 3-5-7.  It was when the Luchs still saw tier 8s!

It's hard to assess whether the buffs they've had would outweigh the meta changes. Certainly the old cent and 7/1 were playable if not choice. Especially given many other similar tanks haven't had buffs but still do ok. But I guess different tanks cope better with the meta than others. 

The old pre-HD cent had a strong turret and best-in-class pen, at the expense of a shitty hull and low top speed.

It didn’t see bullshit tanks like the defender, Japanese super heavies etc., so the standard pen was more than sufficient against most tanks it faced with the exception of a Maus, e-100 etc.

It lives or dies by the amount of premium rounds being flung at it I feel. Cause you go from having a turret face only a few high tier MTs can reliably pen in the cheeks to only having a strong mantlet. And you need your turret to hold up so you can take the gun. And in tier 10 matches standard rounds seem to be the exception rather than the rule on the HK server, even from tier 8 premiums.

3 hours ago, sohojacques said:

Chicken or the egg? Good players don’t play it for a reason. Mounted the top tracks and am now running vents which has tamed the gun handling a little. Wouldn’t mind so much if it had a bit more dpm. I don’t mind if I spray a few shots in either of my Caravans...

Reasons: 

Tier 8 mediums are generally slightly UP. 

Fv4202 was 40m/h medium, CAX is worse than M48. 

Cent 7/1 has no proper gold ammo. 

MM 357.

23 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

Reasons: 

Tier 8 mediums are generally slightly UP. 

Fv4202 was 40m/h medium, CAX is worse than M48. 

Cent 7/1 has no proper gold ammo. 

MM 357.

The only tier 8 medium that's slightly UP is the T-44, and that's because it's a tier 8, the P44/M46/416 are balanced and everything else.........not so much

Pretty glad to be rid of this/the 20 pounder. Finished the grind with 55% WR and two MoE. That said, if tier 8 MM wasn't so bad I'd have no real complaints. Good pen and turret face against same-lower tier is plenty to abuse.

@lavawing I ground the T-44 after the buffs and really didn't feel it was UP in the slightest, unless compared to its OP premium brother of course (which like the Prog 46 now only comes in a stupidly overpriced bundle so I will never own it). Definitely preferred it to the Cent 1 by a large margin, mostly thanks to the better mobility and gun handling.

I didn't see a Cent 5/1 RAAC thread so I'll hijack the Cent 1 thread for the same topic because they're almost the same tank; except the prem is significantly better. No use creating a new thread right?

Necro-hijack

Cent 5/1 is indeed significantly superior to tech tree Cent, mostly because the UFP allows you to push enemy team much more effectively than tech tree Cent. Its like 200 eff, more if you're conscious about the armor. That armor is enough to make Cent successful in armor cancer meta.

The slightly better gun bloom isn't really good enough; so it'll still need a lot of care. Even with Vstab+GLD its not very good. I figure that unless you run food; you have to pick up the GLD to get off (more distant) shots quickly.

My current build is:

• Equips: GLD/Bonds VStab/Ram
  • Cons: rep/med/food
  • Boost Vstab with bonds
  • My crew is shit but it's good to have the normal kit of repairs, firefighting so you can have safe food, and camo so you don't get spotted quite as often

Naturally build a rammer, maybe drop the GLD for optics, vents won't do much because of how the tank is set up. Optics to make up for your vulnerability to 'ambush' a bit. Better gun bloom isn't enough to prevent even your gun from feeling duckfooted in open terrain battle.

The main difference in play is that you can count on the UFP to bounce shots. In Cent 5/1 side scraping is a seriously viable strat, more hulldown position to use, etc. You don't *need* to side scrape, you can angle front, but most likely, that will lead to LFP penetration unless its autobounce, but then you cannot shoot (around building). Cent 5/1 is also better at chasing because of the UFP.

51mm sides people tell you to be extra careful with, but so long as you trigger autobounce there is no problem with Cent 5/1 side armor.

Module damage is normal for British, watch for the ammo rack though.

Turret is vulnerable to gold ammo. You probably can't return in kind because of 258 APCR pen. Its basically AP except to medicate Vk 100 cupolas and similar armor. To counter, angle the turret and point gun mantlet up/down.

Moreso than techtree Cent, you are vulnerable to arty. And they know it. You will get focused the way glasscannons do, maybe harder because their team will spam "requesting fire" on you whenever possible.

It's not a good prem I figure, because ammo prices cut deeply into profits, and you have to pay some attention to the game when using it. The vehicle also misses quite a few shots no matter what. The tank is also not that OP compared to defender.

As usual with Cents, you struggle in battles where you are significantly outnumbered; don't let the UFP become a curse as it entices you to fight long odds.

Despite all these advantages teams now are so incredibly terrible that it mitigates how powerful a tank this is. I figure its also impossible to predict the bads now. Their moves, like sticking a top tier super heavy tank in bushes are just insane. I've lost so much DPG to expectations of basic common sense. Like 3 TD Tank pre-aiming a secondary route at start of game. Its like mobile tanks now. Same insanity.

Yes I relapsed don't kill me