jonnydeathstar

What to do re: Chaffee - research it now or wait?

Hey - So I'm sitting on enough XP to research the Chaffee as it is now in 9.2.  I have been putting it off though, as I heard the nerfed revamped Chaffee was going to cost only about 12k XP to research in 9.3.

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything that outlines what will / may happen in the garage when 9.3 is released?

Will it be better to have it researched? or not? Should I buy one before 9.3 comes out to catch any 'hidden' bonuses?

Cheers,

-j.

The current Chaffee, as a result of having battle tiers 7-11, is perhaps the best tank for earning raw XP (maybe second to the Churchill 3) from combat. You should drive it to farm convertible XP.

Just bought mine a few days ago in an attempt to grind through the pre-nerf tank and gain access to the new LTs.  Figured it would be much more enjoyable to play a good tank than to slog through a lesser version.

Very fast to unlock everything (unlocked the final engine/gun yesterday) and a pretty fun tank so far.  Running 57% win rate with a 1608 WN8 (blah.......not a LT pro yet:) )

Didn't it say on ftr that people who had the researched the Chaffee would some of the exp back? 43k something like that.

EDIT:Found it http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/09/16/16-9-2014/

- the Chaffee compensation (43340 XP) will be added to the current XP you have on the Chaffee. This is the final decision, it won’t be changed.

I would research it if I were you because you can then research the T37 light the day the patch hits

Edited by SkittlesOfSteeI

1. Yes, you absolutely want to research the Chaffee now if you have the XP because the XP difference will transfers to the Chaffee after the patch.

2. There is no reason to buy and grind the Chaffee right now since you will already have enough XP to unlock the new tier 6. That is unless you want to enjoy an awesome tank for a few days before it becomes garbage.

3. I will miss my Chaffee. It was extremely useful in skirmishes and great fun in pubs. I have permanent camo and a 3 skill crew on mine, but I plan to sell it after the patch.

isn't 9.3 right around the corner (like, a matter of ~5 days)? grinding the entire chaffee in that time would be hell

My Chaffee grind was quite short, a weekend of non-stop Chaffee will totally elite it.

I've researched the Chaffee but never bought it (my light crew went up the T57 line instead). So do I need to buy one before 9.3 to avoid losing all the XP I ground out on the M5 Stuart?

I've researched the Chaffee but never bought it (my light crew went up the T57 line instead). So do I need to buy one before 9.3 to avoid losing all the XP I ground out on the M5 Stuart?

Store purchases don't really have anything to do with the tech tree, so no.  If you have unlocked the chaffee in the current tree, it will be unlocked in the new tree with an additional 23k xp sitting on it (since it moves from tier 6 to tier 5).

There may be a chance to make a few credits by opportune buying or selling, but I am not sure.

Of course check the patch notes to be sure; they have always been pretty precise about what happens with existing accounts when the tech tree changes.

When is patch 9.3 going live?

I have not unlocked the chaffee but have 33k exp sitting on the stuart so I am not that far away from unlocking the chaffee if that makes more sense from an efficiency perspective. I thought I had read or heard that it made more sense to unlock after the update but now it seems that was erroneous information.

When is patch 9.3 going live?

I have not unlocked the chaffee but have 33k exp sitting on the stuart so I am not that far away from unlocking the chaffee if that makes more sense from an efficiency perspective. I thought I had read or heard that it made more sense to unlock after the update but now it seems that was erroneous information.

Expect this week maybe Thursday. If you have started the grind you should finish it, otherwise you will end up with "stuck" xp that can only be converted to free xp.

I bought one last night anyway (had the credits and a free garage slot so thought I might as well).

I agree that Veilwalker would be better off to finish off researching the Chaffee before the patch, although doing 22K on the M5 in two or three days will be pretty painful. 

Is the price of the Chaffee going to change? Should I sell it the night before the patch hits?

I bought it a while back at 50% off, never played it nor crewed it, then once I heard it wasn't moving to tier 6 I sold it recently when Tier 5 Americans stopped being 50% off, a couple weeks ago, since it would have ben sold for less had I been dumb enough to hang onto it. At least I recovered all my initially spent credits.

I researched it, played it, elited it and sold it as I was hopeless with it.  I fully intend to go back to it though so I will probably just leave that nice accrued XP on the tank ready for when I want to move on through that line....and I will.....but not until I think I can do it some justice.