DingBat

Not Your Average Reroll: 700 games

A while ago I embarked on a little, personal experiment:

1. Start a new account
  2. Do not use premium time
  3. Do not platoon
  4. Do not participate in tank companies
  5. Use gold only for purchasing of additional tank slots, barracks slots, or to move equipment from one tank to another

The goal of the experiment is to see if achieving purple, or near purple stats is possible under these conditions or, as many detractors like to say, players are purple only because they pay to win.

My thoughts on the first  and can be found here.

Raw Data:

Battles: 700

Win rate: 57% (was 59%)

WN8:  1781 (was 1534) 

K/D ratio:  2.9 (was 2.79)

Dmg C/R ratio: no data (was 2.95)

Avg XP:  447 (was 370)

Avg dmg: 629 (was 544)

Survival rate: 39% (was 38%)

Awards:

20 Top Guns (was 18)

1 De Langlades (no change)

2 Kolobanovs (no change)

4 Passucci's (was 3)

1 Halonen's (was 0)

1 Levaslaiho's (was 0)

34 High Calibre (was 25.)

Ace Tanker:

AT-1

SU76

T82

T18

M8A1

T49

SU-85B

M3 Lee

SU-85

Commentary:

Another long break, due mostly to the summer and two weeks playing nothing but Sheriff's account. 

My overall win rate has really taken a beating. I really have to work hard just to hit a 50% win rate on most nights. This despite some really strong play in the T49, with 3 or 4 mastery level battles in the past week. WN8 is plateauing, which is to be expected, but still rising. 

I STILL don't have sixth sense on my t49, despite almost 200 games. However, survival rate is a lot better and recent stats for WN8 are over 1800. 

I do love the t49. I'm within 4% of my second mark of excellence on the tank. I don't even have a tank with two marks of excellence on my main account. It should just get better w sixth sense. 

Observations:

1. Summer provides a noticable drop in player quality
  2. It takes a loooong time to grind crew XP without premium. 

Things I've learned:

I think I have enough data to come to the following conclusion: lack of premium is a huge disadvantage for new players. Here's why I believe that. I've played 200 games in the t49 and am still only at 94% in the first skill. I've long since unlocked the Hellcat and easily have enough money to move the crew. However, moving that crew would reset my progress back to 75%. Without premium, I speculate that a player would could hit tier 7, or even 8 before unlocking their first crew skill. This is a huge disadvantage. 

The allure of a game like this is unlocking new tanks. That allure, and moving up, really hits new players hard, especially if they are playing without premium. I'm convinced it's a major contributor to clueless play at mid-high tiers. 

I'm going to continue with this to at least 1000 games, but I think the experiment has achieved most of what it was intended to show. 

Oh, someone asked for some replays. Here are a few, all t49s. Most are of mastery level battles, but there are more than a few examples of derp play for those looking for fault.

Replay #1

Replay #2

Replay #3

Replay #4

Replay #5

Replay #6

Replay #7

Replay #8

Replay #9

Replay #10

Replay #11

-200 T49 games and not at 100% first crew skill

Dont forget that your playing an OP tank and that your a very good player who knows what he is doing.

Now imagine a new player (aka: noobs) playing a random non-op tank (you see alot of guys with less then 2k game in tier 5 scouts, feel bad for them) how it must suck.

Heck just playing with a fresh 100% crew with no skills is hard, imagine starting at 50% with no equipment.

-200 T49 games and not at 100% first crew skill

Dont forget that your playing an OP tank and that your a very good player who knows what he is doing.

Now imagine a new player (aka: noobs) playing a random non-op tank (you see alot of guys with less then 2k game in tier 5 scouts, feel bad for them) how it must suck.

Heck just playing with a fresh 100% crew with no skills is hard, imagine starting at 50% with no equipment.

An excellent point. I knew enough to start w a 75% crew and have done the best I could to manage the skills and movement over the tiers to the t49. A less experienced player would almost certainly have made some mistakes along the way. It is easy now to see that it is highly possible for players to reach tier 7-8 without the benefit of crews that we take for granted. 

I still maintain that there's often too many excuses used to explain poor results. While I am experienced, this experiment does show that above average results ARE possible working within the constrains I've laid out. Difficult to achieve, yes, but possible. However, I think the experiment has also shown that new players have a steep hill to climb if they want to compete with better players.

perhaps the crew exp factor is why theres been so many crew EXP bonus missions as of late

It does seem, to me at least, that XP required to unlock new tanks is much, much less than that required to promote a crew. It seems that WG could ease this pain by just slightly buffing crew XP gained. Or, alternatively, running more missions like this.

An excellent point. I knew enough to start w a 75% crew and have done the best I could to manage the skills and movement over the tiers to the t49. A less experienced player would almost certainly have made some mistakes along the way. It is easy now to see that it is highly possible for players to reach tier 7-8 without the benefit of crews that we take for granted. 

I still maintain that there's often too many excuses used to explain poor results. While I am experienced, this experiment does show that above average results ARE possible working within the constrains I've laid out. Difficult to achieve, yes, but possible. However, I think the experiment has also shown that new players have a steep hill to climb if they want to compete with better players.

It does seem, to me at least, that XP required to unlock new tanks is much, much less than that required to promote a crew. It seems that WG could ease this pain by just slightly buffing crew XP gained. Or, alternatively, running more missions like this.

With over 300 games in the hellcat, I lacked a crew skill. It is only about 20 games ago in my Object 416 that I got my first wave of skills.

Man, the regrets of not having sixth sense for that long. :beard:

It does give you a huge disadvantage though, not having crew skill and just jumping at the newest, shiniest tank. Sixth sense has put me to Unica level every game almost in my 416, only because I don`t stupidly not realize I am lit. This is if I play the tank well of course, but the extra hp I don`t lose in dumb trades is great.

You play kinda OP tanks or at least very good ones, but your conclusion is somewhat alright with me.

I also play without PA, platoon only rarely (1%), use gold to buy barrack slots, sometimes equipment change.

What I feel the most is that crew XP is really utter trash, it´s even painful with these x2 crew XP missions. So now I have mostly T6, few T7´s and 2 T5´s and I´m still working on my first skill for them, only 2 skill crews I have is for M6 and Tiger and only one trully legit is that on M6.

Oh and money becomes issue later too, but you shouldn´t have a problem, since even I can make profit off loss, when I achieve at least ~1100 WN8 that game on either T6 with expensive ammo or T7. Have been considering buying a premium tank though.

And just by the way, you could try to play some tanks,  relatively wanted by new players because of their uber looks or leading to noobs favourite tank, specifically: DW2 and on, B1 and on, AT2, Churchill. I believe many great WN8 rated players wouldnt even be purple if they used sluggish tanks like these.

Not that I don´t believe in their great skills, but I believe much more in inability to dish damage to the enemy you don´t see.

I have a "privacy" account that I played with very similar rules.  Played only around 1200 games over the past three years with very similar results to dingbats.  My w/r is higher than my main at 59% while my wn8 is lower in the 1700 range probably due to grinding all stock tanks and running the russian heavy line (not my forte really).  Ran 600+ games in the kv-2 to get the second crew skill.  The kv-13 which I had never played before is a particularly awful tank and dropped me from over 60% to like 58.5 or something.  It's a wn8 whore and bumped the account a couple hundred points at the expense of w/r.  The crew is pretty crappy atm tho and just hitting 100% on their primary.

Not having sixth sense was less of an obstacle for me as I ran light tanks prior to sixth sense being in the game, and playing heavies which should be lit a lot (get in front bro).  

When I started this game eons ago, there was a ton of stuff that WG never really explained enough to new players.  I NEVER ran consumables until like 3k games in.  Didn't realize how important they were.........yeah.  Worse confession is next.  I never knew that you could zoom in closer in sniper mode until like 11k games in.  That stock sniper zoom was all I used.  

I don't know, I just rebought the IS-3 yesterday (first time I bought it I wasn't even in a good clan and gave up grinding the thing from stock before even getting the first upgrade), and played 8 games on it earlier today with 100% main skill and 50% first skill

Managed 100% winrate and 2700 damage a game with 2.5 kills a match (was only good enough for 3800wn8, hah). Compared to the sheriff accounts that we got with all of the crew skills, I actually didn't see much of a difference. I mean 6th sense and the lack of recon/situational awareness (and no safe stowage getting me ammo racked once a match) really hurt, but not as much as it usually would because on the newer maps getting spotted and worrying about getting wrecked by 5 TDs 500 meters away isn't as much of a problem.

Maps like prokhorovka or malinovka would just be painful, since they're still terrible campfests, but the updated murovanka was fine

You play kinda OP tanks or at least very good ones, but your conclusion is somewhat alright with me.

I also play without PA, platoon only rarely (1%), use gold to buy barrack slots, sometimes equipment change.

What I feel the most is that crew XP is really utter trash, it´s even painful with these x2 crew XP missions. So now I have mostly T6, few T7´s and 2 T5´s and I´m still working on my first skill for them, only 2 skill crews I have is for M6 and Tiger and only one trully legit is that on M6.

Oh and money becomes issue later too, but you shouldn´t have a problem, since even I can make profit off loss, when I achieve at least ~1100 WN8 that game on either T6 with expensive ammo or T7. Have been considering buying a premium tank though.

And just by the way, you could try to play some tanks,  relatively wanted by new players because of their uber looks or leading to noobs favourite tank, specifically: DW2 and on, B1 and on, AT2, Churchill. I believe many great WN8 rated players wouldnt even be purple if they used sluggish tanks like these.

Not that I don´t believe in their great skills, but I believe much more in inability to dish damage to the enemy you don´t see.

It's true the T49 T67 is a strong tank, but I figured I'd get a pass given all the other handicaps. 

A small updated: I just got sixth sense on my T67. I figure it worked out to about 300 matches in that crew. I'm pretty sure it would have taken longer in another tank since the T67 has had a lot of very good games. I just got my second mark of excellence on that tank this weekend as well. 

I do plan on playing the e2 on the way to the T29. That will probably be the next focus on my grinding. 

I don't know, I just rebought the IS-3 yesterday (first time I bought it I wasn't even in a good clan and gave up grinding the thing from stock before even getting the first upgrade), and played 8 games on it earlier today with 100% main skill and 50% first skill

Managed 100% winrate and 2700 damage a game with 2.5 kills a match (was only good enough for 3800wn8, hah). Compared to the sheriff accounts that we got with all of the crew skills, I actually didn't see much of a difference. I mean 6th sense and the lack of recon/situational awareness (and no safe stowage getting me ammo racked once a match) really hurt, but not as much as it usually would because on the newer maps getting spotted and worrying about getting wrecked by 5 TDs 500 meters away isn't as much of a problem.

Maps like prokhorovka or malinovka would just be painful, since they're still terrible campfests, but the updated murovanka was fine

I would concede you're a better all around player than I am, bro. That kind of damage rate is something I've never really been able to maintain over a long haul. 

I need to get a heavy tank in this experiment to see how it's affected. I probably should have gone T1-M6-T29, but I've played the T1 and M6 before and wanted to give the e2 a try. I hear the stock T29 grind can be pretty painful as well. We'll see. :)