Zeven

Zeven's Q&A with Ewe

Zeven,

To Patton's post above, "pushing to contact" is tough for the average tanker. Here's an example replay of Serene coast to that point.

I know I'm not a very good, but am trying to improve. I pushed forward to good spot for a high depression tank. I also thought I had backup and hadn't extended myself but my team halted and got distracted by a Nashorn. I did "push to contact" but then got wrecked in 8 seconds. Now the game would most have been a loss anyway, but how would someone take your advice but not replicate what happened here?

http://wotreplays.com/site/2060170#serene_coast-general_6b-sherman_iii

For most yellow, orange and red players this would have been a pavlovian lesson in staying back. You don't have to look past the first 3 minutes. 

Thanks!

PS Fixed Link

Zeven,

To Patton's post above, "pushing to contact" is tough for the average tanker. Here's an example replay of Serene coast to that point.

I know I'm not a very good, but am trying to improve. I pushed forward to good spot for a high depression tank. I also thought I had backup and hadn't extended myself but my team halted and got distracted by a Nashorn. I did "push to contact" but then got wrecked in 8 seconds. Now the game would most have been a loss anyway, but how would someone take your advice but not replicate what happened here?

For most yellow, orange and red players this would have been a pavlovian lesson in staying back. You don't have to look past the first 3 minutes. 

Thanks!

20150802_1212_uk-GB50_Sherman_III_47_canada_a.wotreplay

I was musing on the "pushing to contact" method as well. I'm having a hard time with it, though it seems like the sort of thing that requires practice and observation of the minimap. One recent game on Abbey, I was pushing down the 2 line ridge as a top tier heavy and met no resistance until basically their side of the ridge. I got wrecked by a TD in good position after taking out one of their heavies from the side. It was a mixed bag since our team folded quickly and we got tied up long enough that we were ineffective. In a game on Tundra, I pushed down the 1-line until I met resistance - when they were in the open. This allowed us to pull apart their team methodically since they were in the open. It seems that it takes knowledge of where the enemy is likely to go and what pieces are likely to go where. This is challenging for people like me, but it's definitely good to keep in the back of the mind.

FYI @General_6 - your replay link isn't working.

Hello Zeven,

thx for sharing of your knowledge.

I recently get AMX 50 120 and I struggle with it... I have 100% crew all modules, but the gun from AMX 50 100.

I think this tank is not "bully tank", every tank that he meet will pen him and it cannot kill full enemy with one drum, is slow reloading between shots and bad accuracy and a lot of shots ding... not mentioning fighting 2 tanks at once.

I suppose that the key may be to stay hidden as long as I can, because the second Im spotted, and this think has no camo, that second Im primary target for enemy and get wrecked or die in few seconds.

But staying hidden means I cannot contribute to control the map enough (vision control, deny enemy to get key location etc.).

At the end, it looks, that for me, this tank is just depends on team (winning team will win regardless of me...losing team will lose regardless of me).

Have you some advice how to play this tank? Style that fits this tank and how to contribute to the win?

With either gun, that entire line (AMX 50 100, AMX 50 120, AMX 50B) works best as an assaulting support tank.  You want to try to work with your strong side as aggressively as possible.  For example, when they push a corner, push with them, get your clip out and then fall back behind your team (AMX 50 100 example here).  Especially with the 100mm gun (while it has more potential damage, it takes longer to clip out), be aware of where your teammates are.  Once you get the 120mm gun, it is better though.

Zeven,

http://wotreplays.com/site/2060170#serene_coast-general_6b-sherman_iii

Thanks!

PS Fixed Link

I was musing on the "pushing to contact" method as well. I'm having a hard time with it, though it seems like the sort of thing that requires practice and observation of the minimap. One recent game on Abbey, I was pushing down the 2 line ridge as a top tier heavy and met no resistance until basically their side of the ridge. I got wrecked by a TD in good position after taking out one of their heavies from the side. It was a mixed bag since our team folded quickly and we got tied up long enough that we were ineffective. In a game on Tundra, I pushed down the 1-line until I met resistance - when they were in the open. This allowed us to pull apart their team methodically since they were in the open. It seems that it takes knowledge of where the enemy is likely to go and what pieces are likely to go where. This is challenging for people like me, but it's definitely good to keep in the back of the mind.

FYI @General_6 - your replay link isn't working.

Link still does not work for me.  In general, pushing to contact takes some time to master and there is always risk involved (as there is always some level of risk with doing anything aggressively).  The more intel that you have, the more informed of a decision you can make.  You usually do not have that level of intel in random matches, so you go off of what you know about the pubbie meta.  Do teams normally deploy tanks to the area you are about to scout?  Can you "peek" there without overextending?  In my WZ-111 1-4 Erlenberg game, I go through a progression of steps where I always think to myself, "If I turn this corner and I run into 2+ tanks... what is my plan?".  Try to have a plan for each step as you push to contact and you will tend to overextend less.  It is a little map dependent though because some maps have large gaps between areas you can spot through.  So you have to use your better judgement and try to learn from your misreads.

Hey Zeven, I want to buy a T8 premium tank, but I am not sure which one would fit best to my playstyle and garage. Right now I have the E25 as my only prem. I thought about these tanks:

IS-6 (I have a good Russian heavy crew and want to get up to the IS-7)

SuperPershing (how does it compare to the IS-6?)

FCM 50t, AMX CDC (I have no crew for each of them, but I am thinking about getting the AMX 50 100 and I am on the way to the new meds. What is the main difference in gamplay between them?)

Which one would you see as the best overall carry tank in the current meta? Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: Keep up your very informative stream. It's definitely the best to learn from.

Hey Zeven, I want to buy a T8 premium tank, but I am not sure which one would fit best to my playstyle and garage. Right now I have the E25 as my only prem. I thought about these tanks:

IS-6 (I have a good Russian heavy crew and want to get up to the IS-7)

SuperPershing (how does it compare to the IS-6?)

FCM 50t, AMX CDC (I have no crew for each of them, but I am thinking about getting the AMX 50 100 and I am on the way to the new meds. What is the main difference in gamplay between them?)

Which one would you see as the best overall carry tank in the current meta? Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: Keep up your very informative stream. It's definitely the best to learn from.

A bigger part of your decision is probably what crew you want to train with the premium tank.  That choice often trumps a lot of the other issues.

If you are just looking to have fun, any of those four can do.  If you are looking to grind credits (because you can use the base AP shells with either), FCM 50t is best (preferred matchmaking) with the AMX CDC coming in second.  If you are just looking for a strong carry tank and are ok with firing premium ammunition as needed, the Super Pershing is currently the best of those four with the IS-6 a close second.

There is no real difference in the gameplay of the FCM 50t and the AMX CDC (depends if you want to consider matchmaking part of gameplay).  They use the exact same gun.  The CDC is a little faster (which makes it a better flanker), but can be penetrated by HE pretty easily (arty vulnerable).

hey Zeven,

I would love to hear your thoughts on my recent mega-heartbreak found here:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/2137327#fjords-igl-conqueror

I am tempted to blame the SP for failing with 100% HP vs. 2 one-shot tanks, but what would your pov be? 

I do not think you can really worry too much about how well your teammates are performing in any single match.  If you look at just your positioning (and I do not think your team did that well), this was still a winnable game.  Going south is fine given the compositions and lack of artillery.  I think you traded pretty well there.  You need to watch your team the entire time.  Your team lost the middle and did not attempt to win the north, so it was all on the south team to trade well and quickly.

Going back through the middle from the west is fine, but when the WZ and the PTA were one shot, you inexplicably move about 30m east.  This results in two negative things.  You do not really gain any meaningful firing solutions (and lose the best one on the two one shot tanks below you).  You also expose yourself to additional lanes of fire (especially if any enemy came back through E4).  If you remained in that initial position, you could have finished off those two tanks below without significantly increasing your risk (by keeping the entire enemy team in front of you).  You can then assess that they were not going to try to put cap pressure on you and deal with the rest.  Moving forward put you in a bad position (the same bad position the WZ and PTA were in) by allowing incoming flanking fire, forcing you to move into the ditch and, ultimately, sealing your fate (you will notice their team continued to flank).

Great game though!

Safe Stowage or Situational Awareness as second skill for T-54 loader/gunner?

You can respec to Safe Stowage after you get the second full skill (it does nothing for you while it is training up).  Having that extra health on your ammo rack is always a good thing on every tank.  Pretty much every tank that I have has Safe Stowage on it... :)

Salutations, Zeven! First time posting on this thread but I've been following your YouTube channel since its creation. Your educational and analytical commentary, coupled with your perpetual zen/non-ragey demeanour makes it a pleasure for players to learn from you. Anyway, you recently reviewed my IS-5 replay (15:30 in the spoiler for those interested) and I would like to offer some of my thought processes. 

Initial deployment/corner fight:

• You noted that I was conservative when poking. I totally agree. I've had games where going to that corner before seeing the enemy deployment exposed me to 2-3 lines of fire) and got me wrecked. 
  • I initially occupied the most forward sidescrape position and started to back out only when I saw 3 enemies advancing that corner (which as you noted was not necessary on their part). I agree with your analysis that I should not have ceded that position by backing off. 
  • The prime reason for me leaving that brawl was because I was royally pissed with my King Tiger (see what I did there? :disco:). He basically hugged the wall I wanted to sidescrape off and was doing nothing. You noted that my subsequent sidescrape/baiting (accounting for his fat ass there) could be better and I completely agree. 

Mid-game/Defending cap and After:

• I agree that I should have bullied the St. Emil more and ignored the Type 62. Maybe I would have taken 2 damaging hits or so, but I guess that's fine. 
  • The crucial strategic blunder was that I did not join up back with the initial brawling zone as you've noted. My team could have used my help there. Instead, I chose to flank all the way around. I did not recognise the urgency of that engagement and thought that maybe my pubbies could hold long enough for me to do so. 
  • I knew SU-152 was using the super high DPM gun and not the derp. I wanted to take him out ASAP in that 1v1 but experienced quite a bit of unlucky RNG there as my side got penned by his standard 175 pen AP when I was at a good angle sidescraping off the T29's wreck. Detailed post here: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/21817-help-needed-in-explaining-this-crazy-rng/#comment-571506 

End-game: 

• Like you noted, I should have checked for the arty. I think I was just too paranoid about getting shotgunned and thought forcing the cap would give me the advantage, knowing how spotting mechanics work.
  • What I did not account for was one single bush. Basically the arty only got spotted way after he rounded the corner and drove up the road. 
  • Positioning: The rationale my ass was pointed at him was because I thought I could drive off cap and round the corner into safety should he get the jump on me. But eventually I decided to aim the shot and low-rolled him, getting shot and losing the game. 

CONCLUSION: With regard to mid-late game decisions, I was employing medium tactics in a heavy tank that was simply not fast/nimble enough. What do you think? 

CONCLUSION: With regard to mid-late game decisions, I was employing medium tactics in a heavy tank that was simply not fast/nimble enough. What do you think? 

I'm not Zeven obviously, but I think he was spot on.  You clearly needed to win city and yet bailed just when your team pushed.  Who cares if the Tiger II took "your" spot?  Being pissed and running away isn't medium tactics, it's losing your cool.  You could ask him to move, fall back, give him a bump, etc.  Anything other than rage-quitting.  He ended up doing 3K damage, so he played a good game.

Not immediately supporting the guys left in the city after you take out the St. Emil isn't medium tactics, it's bad decision-making.  They were alive and needed help.  Maybe in a lightning-fast medium like a Crommie you could flank in time.  Probably not though.  That was employing light tactics in a heavy tank.

And that decision with arty was just baffling.  You know he's coming from that direction but turn away so that you can run?  MAYBE in a light you could try that.  Otherwise point your armor at him and/or hunt him.  And unless you were baiting a shot, you probably didn't need to run over the destructables on the cap.

So I 100% agree with Zeven's analysis and don't think it was a medium mindset that cost you.  If anything, I thought other than the early sidescraping, you played a heavy with a light tactics.  gg though.

Oh, and I always laugh at your sig gif!

EDIT: Favorite replay moment? The E50 and Zeven's straight-faced delivery of "Well, you could shoot the rock, but that doesn't really help your team shooting that rock." LOFuckingL!!!

Edited by predavolk

You clearly needed to win city and yet bailed just when your team pushed.  Who cares if the Tiger II took "your" spot?  Being pissed and running away isn't medium tactics, it's losing your cool.  You could ask him to move, fall back, give him a bump, etc. 

In a normal situation, I would have hanged around longer just enough to see that they eventually pushed. The primary reason for leaving was because I saw the East had completely fallen and we could have potentially gotten 2 capped by the BP and the Type 62 (not to mention the St Emil) had I not returned there timely. 

Observe the way the KT occupied that corner. One moment he was sidescraping off the wall but neither baiting shots not engaging enemies. The next, his tank was parked parallel to the damn wall! To not lose my cool was to fuck off to somewhere else of the map where I could be more useful and not get impeded trying to get my gun in the game. I did not see a breakthrough until I was on the way back to defending base (which, I stand by, was the right play). 

I agree with the other points you made. 

Edited by prolix

I am considering it.  There are a lot of logistics to think through.  I will update you guys when I know more.

Hi Zeven.  Any further thoughts on this? 

And if the logistics are daunting and you just want to host a few training sessions, the Minions would be happy to help out.  We've got The_Millard, a couple of BULBAs and a MAHOU who drop by, and with some offers from REL and AWFUL people to mentor our guys, we're starting to build up a pretty good line-up of guest trainers who teach to an eager audience that we can tailor in skill from red-oranges to blu-blurple.  It helps that a lot of people see us as kind of a REL-M, MIMBO, and maybe eventually MULBA. :)

Hi Zeven.  Any further thoughts on this? 

And if the logistics are daunting and you just want to host a few training sessions, the Minions would be happy to help out.  We've got The_Millard, a couple of BULBAs and a MAHOU who drop by, and with some offers from REL and AWFUL people to mentor our guys, we're starting to build up a pretty good line-up of guest trainers who teach to an eager audience that we can tailor in skill from red-oranges to blu-blurple.  It helps that a lot of people see us as kind of a REL-M, MIMBO, and maybe eventually MULBA. :)

It is still in the works and I should have an answer/proposal within the next couple weeks.  I have been very busy in real life lately, so I have not been able to spend as much time as I would like balancing all the administrative work of the stream (YouTube, forums, Twitter, etc.).  I have also been trying to crush my learning curve in Armored Warfare (but that is the fun bit)... :P

It is still in the works and I should have an answer/proposal within the next couple weeks.  I have been very busy in real life lately, so I have not been able to spend as much time as I would like balancing all the administrative work of the stream (YouTube, forums, Twitter, etc.).  I have also been trying to crush my learning curve in Armored Warfare (but that is the fun bit)... :P

I've seen you and several other WOT players in my AW matches. I'd be happy to platoon with you to help crush your AW learning curve.

Are you able to comment on your impressions of AW?  I watched a bit of your stream a couple of days ago when you were playing it, but it was pretty quiet and I wasn't watching long enough to get any tidbits of opinion.

And I see you are in a battalion (KEVIN). I find very little info about battalions in AW. I'd like to join one for platooning in PvP and PvE, but can't seem to learn anything about which are worth joining.