Zeven

Zeven's Q&A with Ewe

Curious what you think about the whole GLD vs. Vents debate on tanks with bad to semi-bad aimtime, mostly for heavies.

Is there any threshold aimtime above which you would take GLD over Vents and does it depend on how good the crew is (bia, gun skills)?

Personally, I'm tempted to switch out my GLD for Vents on my WZ-111 (snapshot, smooth ride, bia, no food, and yes I mean the T8 prem, not the T9) since it not only boosts aimtime by 2.2%, but also the horrendous bloom and accuracy + all the other stuff as bonus, aswell as on the IS-7 (snapshot, no bia, no food) after its aimtime is said to be buffed to 3.1 in 9.8.

He very rarely uses GLDs and usually doesn't even use a vert stab.

I tried doing that a little bit, and I think some tanks like Caernarvon might even be able to pull it off, but maybe I'm just too impatient, doesn't work for me.

I love the stream and just started watching the youtube replay-review videos.  I avoided them for a while thinking they would not be worth much, but I was wrong.

Yeah, I never really put them up before because I did not think they had a whole lot of "replay value" to people who were not actually the individuals playing.  However, a lot of people seem to be able to pick up things from it though, so that makes it worthwhile.

Curious what you think about the whole GLD vs. Vents debate on tanks with bad to semi-bad aimtime, mostly for heavies.

Is there any threshold aimtime above which you would take GLD over Vents and does it depend on how good the crew is (bia, gun skills)?

Personally, I'm tempted to switch out my GLD for Vents on my WZ-111 (snapshot, smooth ride, bia, no food, and yes I mean the T8 prem, not the T9) since it not only boosts aimtime by 2.2%, but also the horrendous bloom and accuracy + all the other stuff as bonus, aswell as on the IS-7 (snapshot, no bia, no food) after its aimtime is said to be buffed to 3.1 in 9.8.

He very rarely uses GLDs and usually doesn't even use a vert stab.

I tried doing that a little bit, and I think some tanks like Caernarvon might even be able to pull it off, but maybe I'm just too impatient, doesn't work for me.

Using a gun laying drive (GLD) is rarely a good option.  You should always use a vertical stabilizer (VS) if you are looking to improve your gun control.  I generally run a VS on most high tier heavy tanks with poor gun control (there are some exceptions, of course).  On a WZ-111 I would run VS, rammer and vents (this is a typical equipment loadout for me on higher tier heavy tanks).

(To Jerinos) I am definitely on board for VS on heavy tanks, it is VS on most medium tanks that I am not sold on... :P

You can see what equipment (and crew skills) I have on any of my tanks by clicking on any of the individual tanks from here:  http://www.vbaddict.net/tanks/zeven-na-cc7bbfb9e08f786b5050548ad562ff72

(To Jerinos) I am definitely on board for VS on heavy tanks, it is VS on most medium tanks that I am not sold on... :P

Oh, I was just looking at the fact that the majority of your tier 10 heavies don't use them. I just assumed they all didn't. I guess their gun handling etc is good enough without vs?

Hey zeven, what's the play style and mind set of low alpha low armor tanks in city maps? 

I'm especially talking about cromwell, just bought the Berlin ver. and the 2nd game (tier 7) was Siegfried Line, I didn't want to go to the field because let's face it there's usually no back up and with no arty there's little point in scouting there. The town was a mess with a bunch of soviet heavies camping corners

I kinda turtled a bit in the beginning and felt I missed the opportunity to contribute to initial damage. Later as more bodies started piling, I was at liberty to move around a bit more in the town but by that point the pubby heavies on our team have traded so poorly I couldn't turn things around (especially with the cromwell's armor...)

Hey zeven, what's the play style and mind set of low alpha low armor tanks in city maps? 

I'm especially talking about cromwell, just bought the Berlin ver. and the 2nd game (tier 7) was Siegfried Line, I didn't want to go to the field because let's face it there's usually no back up and with no arty there's little point in scouting there. The town was a mess with a bunch of soviet heavies camping corners

I kinda turtled a bit in the beginning and felt I missed the opportunity to contribute to initial damage. Later as more bodies started piling, I was at liberty to move around a bit more in the town but by that point the pubby heavies on our team have traded so poorly I couldn't turn things around (especially with the cromwell's armor...)

Really, it is best to look to support (you will notice in those types of situations, I try to get as much intel as early as I can).  If you are in a fragile tank, it is sometimes difficult to front in maps with a lot of alleys (unless there are a lot of intersections to flank).  I generally do not go field on Siegfried Line in fragile tanks.  It is usually best to watch where your armor is pushing and be ready to support/flank their position.  If your team is not pushing, look to identify and flank the enemy assault as they push into your defenders (generally when pubbies push, they leave a gap you can exploit).  You can occasionally sneak through the 5 line depending on what is going on out in the field, but it is usually better to play the 6 line area until your heavies do something.  You can get a little hamstrung with this though if your team just straight camps.  Unfortunately, this is the problem with playing fragile tanks (and light tanks too), sometimes your team simply needs you to front for them or they will not be brave enough to do anything other than camp... >:|

Hi Zeven.  A couple of questions for you.

1- I'm thinking of buying the Rudy to train a second Tier X Soviet med crew as I'm running down that line.  With the supertest notes I'm assuming that the guns will be at least slightly nerfed on the 62A and 140.  Obviously a nerf sucks, but I have no experience playing these tanks and wanted the opinion of someone more experienced about how much these tanks will be affected.  As I don't want this locked out for duplicating another thread, I'm really just looking for your opinion on those two tanks- maybe an easier and non-controversial way of asking is do these tanks rely a lot on gold ammo?  Or are they flankers that don't really need heavy pen?  Are they reliant on a good gun (like the IS-8) or is it other attributes that make them good (like the Cromwell)?

2- On Prok you advocate E/F6 for heavy tanks.  I like it in tanks with decent depression, but a lot of my heavies are Soviet tanks that lack gun depression.  The IS-3 seems to work there OK, but it can take hits when you pop up for a shot against anything on the other side.  What's worse, my KV-4 and KV-5 lack the depression, are too slow, and/or have turrets too tall to poke up and down the middle without getting shot to pieces.  Do those tanks just belong on the hill?

How come you forego a vstab for optics/vents on, for example, the Object 140?

For the typical engagement ranges of the 140, I think that the gun handling is fine without a vertical stabilizer (I still have snap shot on my gunner though).  Brawling ranges are so short that any difference in the bloom is fairly negligible unless you are trying to snipe weak spots on the move (which you generally are not).  You take slightly longer to aim on peek-and-poke exchanges, but that is generally not how the tank is used.  You are allowed more time on the more common hull down shots (although I would be careful if they are on a higher elevation), so the increase in aim time is fairly negligible.

As the gun handling gets worse, I tend to lean more towards the vertical stabilizer.  For example, although I do not remember if I switched it yet or not, I use a vertical stabilizer on the Object 430 instead of vents.  Compared to the 140, the 430 has an increased aim time (2.3 vs 2.1) and increased dispersion on turret rotation (0.14 vs 0.08) and on movement (0.14 vs 0.08).  The 430 also fires a little faster (9.38 vs 9.09), so you want to maximize that dpm.  The gun handling is bad enough that it becomes a "significant" (to me) factor even on mid-range shots.  I have similar examples of this on other medium (and heavy) tanks.

Hi Zeven.  A couple of questions for you.

1- I'm thinking of buying the Rudy to train a second Tier X Soviet med crew as I'm running down that line.  With the supertest notes I'm assuming that the guns will be at least slightly nerfed on the 62A and 140.  Obviously a nerf sucks, but I have no experience playing these tanks and wanted the opinion of someone more experienced about how much these tanks will be affected.  As I don't want this locked out for duplicating another thread, I'm really just looking for your opinion on those two tanks- maybe an easier and non-controversial way of asking is do these tanks rely a lot on gold ammo?  Or are they flankers that don't really need heavy pen?  Are they reliant on a good gun (like the IS- 8) or is it other attributes that make them good (like the Cromwell)?

2- On Prok you advocate E/F6 for heavy tanks.  I like it in tanks with decent depression, but a lot of my heavies are Soviet tanks that lack gun depression.  The IS-3 seems to work there OK, but it can take hits when you pop up for a shot against anything on the other side.  What's worse, my KV-4 and KV-5 lack the depression, are too slow, and/or have turrets too tall to poke up and down the middle without getting shot to pieces.  Do those tanks just belong on the hill?

1 - In the current version (9.7), you do not usually want to exchange frontally with an armored tank right now even with the current "better penetration" standard shells.  This will not really change too much if/when the standard shells get nerfed.  If you "need" to exchange like this, you will change to premium rounds.

If/when the shells get nerfed, it will sorta kinda hurt all of the mediums, but they will get hurt to different extents.  As you noted, tanks that are more reliant on flanking really will not notice the difference much.  The Bat Chat 25t and the Russian mediums will not be affected a whole lot in terms of playstyle.  However, it will hurt slower tanks that cannot reposition as much like the Patton more because they are forced to take more of those "bad" shots.  Further, it will hurt specific tanks for some different reasons like the FV4202 (which does not have a high penetration premium shell, so it is a huge nerf) and the 121 (which has a standard AP shell, so it's a meh nerf).

In short, I do not think it will change my ammo loadout on most tanks, but there probably will be an increase in premium ammo on some.  It will also hurt all of the tier 9 medium tanks pretty badly for most people who are still "grinding" (imo).

2 - The 6 line is fine with tanks with crappy gun depression.  Depending on the heavy, you can play 6 line or the 0 line.  I talk about this here and there, but I view it a lot like the 1 and 3 lines on Redshire.  It is incredible if your team plays both lines well, but if you can only have one line played competently, it should be the 3 line on Redshire and the 6 line on Prokhorovka.  The 6 line is incredibly important for clearing the 0 line.  In heavy tanks (I play 6 line with my E100 even), you will probably get hit by artillery (hey, you can practice your shadow jukes... =D ).  Below is an example of a Russian heavy (IS-7) on the 6 line:

http://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/v/4942767?t=1h48m51s (link should be good to around July 11, 2015)

Zeven, what is your philosophy with regards to initial deployment for tanks with really bad gun depression (I.E. your Chinese lines, etc...)?  I play the T-34-3 a lot for instance, and generally play it well (1450 dpg, which VBAddict puts at a 2150 over 350 games, and I rarely shoot HEAT for money reasons) and can get around the limitations (fire control, depression), but a few maps I have trouble with due to the lack of a good place to go.  For instance, Abbey, north spawn.  I know the 1/2 lines are the important part of that map, but other than the low road (which is usually TD/Heavy sniped), there isn't a great place to put something like a -3 where your shots will be limited.  The high road is a no go usually because you'd have to commit too far to get shots.  Should I reconsider going to that area, even though it is important?  Prohk is another good example, from south spawn, I can actually do well working the middle area with fire support to the 0 line, but for some reason this doesn't work well for north spawn. I have to crest too much to bring the gun to bear.  Going hill is dicey as well for the same reason.  Should I just do the best I can, or should my strategy be rethought to account for the gun depression limitations, even though these are key points of map control? (other examples as well, but the two most obvious ones).

Keep up the good work!  Good to see you in game too. Love healthy competition.

Right on, thanks Zeven.  Loved how you bounced off an arty with IS-7 gold ammo!  I also didn't know that you could shoot through rails, so that's helpful for that position.  Also love how calm you are when you say "I hate how this waffle can sit here and artillery doesn't shoot him.  It's the most frustrating thing in the world for me."  Vs. "Shoot the fucking arty you goddamn noobs!  What are you waiting for, a fucking gold-plated invitation?"  You'd totally clean up in poker.

And just to let you know, I was playing my first KV-13 match today (decided to grind that line while I can).  Top tier, in a platoon with a T29 and I hear you saying "bully, bully, bully".  So we push and win the 2 line.  But 9-0 has fallen, I hear "go back to base, defending is better than capping."  Start going back to base.  Spot a Bishop mid-map fleeing their cap, pause to shoot it, here you say "That tank is worth nothing.  Literally nothing.  It can't hurt anyone while it's moving and you need to help keep your VK heavy alive at your cap."  I don't listen to you, shoot him, feel guilty that our VK dies on our cap "That VK's death is all on you.  Entirely on you". (not quite true, but I get the point)  But I get back, plug their VK heavy twice to interrupt its cap, foil a Cromwell that's trying to circle me (halfway through the circle I just back up to give him my front), and pivot to bounce a Ram II at the same time.  Get in some damage, die, but our team caps out handily.  A win, ~3K Wn8 match, level 1 badge.  Thanks in large part to listening to your advice to other replays.  If I had "listened" to you about the Bishop I might have had a Mastery badge, as I could have gotten in probably 3-4 more shots (and almost certainly another kill) against the enemy.  So thanks for the "replay" advice and I'll try to listen better next time! :thumbup:

Watching your videos and streams is helping me a great deal. Learning how a great player thinks through a match is extremely helpful when learning maps. Thanks for your contributions.

For a guy who's on hiatus for about half a year, what should I know for the meta and tanks?

this is interesting, after some observation, I realized many unicums are now playing tier 10s exclusively (save for some credit grind).

is tier 10 the best tier to train your skills as well as stat padding now(russian mediums for example)?

one of my old clanmate yatogami started playing T-62A non-stop after I went AFK now he's considered a "god" among many players; his stats also gained quite significantly

from what I could tell, for one thing you are always on top of the roaster, plus sometimes the expected damage value is quite low compared to the actual potential of those tanks

The T-62a is known to have low expected damage values so it is easier to pad WN8 in. However, obviously, your clanmate yatogami plays it for more than just that. 

I know that I rarely touch the lower tiers nowadays. It all began when i reached the tier 8+. It's just less infuriating to play at higher tiers. Yes, you still get the bad players. However, the overall meta I feel is a lot less yolo-ey/derpy and the tanks feel more powerful and influential. And just with common sense, there are more bad players in low/mid tiers.

Also, being good at mid/low tiers does not correlate to being good at high tiers, while the reverse does. 

Let's be honest here. Tier 6, you can pretty much get away with whatever the hell you want. It gets pretty boring to play game after game in the Cromwell. Tier 10, it's always fun for me. It's also challenging, since you face better players and your mistakes are punished more harshly.

Zeven, what is your philosophy with regards to initial deployment for tanks with really bad gun depression (I.E. your Chinese lines, etc...)?  I play the T-34-3 a lot for instance, and generally play it well (1450 dpg, which VBAddict puts at a 2150 over 350 games, and I rarely shoot HEAT for money reasons) and can get around the limitations (fire control, depression), but a few maps I have trouble with due to the lack of a good place to go.  For instance, Abbey, north spawn.  I know the 1/2 lines are the important part of that map, but other than the low road (which is usually TD/Heavy sniped), there isn't a great place to put something like a -3 where your shots will be limited.  The high road is a no go usually because you'd have to commit too far to get shots.  Should I reconsider going to that area, even though it is important?  Prohk is another good example, from south spawn, I can actually do well working the middle area with fire support to the 0 line, but for some reason this doesn't work well for north spawn. I have to crest too much to bring the gun to bear.  Going hill is dicey as well for the same reason.  Should I just do the best I can, or should my strategy be rethought to account for the gun depression limitations, even though these are key points of map control? (other examples as well, but the two most obvious ones).

Keep up the good work!  Good to see you in game too. Love healthy competition.

It is challenging on some maps to play "difficult" platforms like the T-34-3.  Like all tanks though, you have to find ways to accentuate your strong points and minimize your weak ones.  I like playing the Abbey nook from the north spawn.  You get free damage on the tanks going into the abbey and you can keep them constantly lit for any of your teammates on the 2 line (which helps them shoot the enemy and reduces the number of shots they will take in return).  You can still shift over to the east side of the abbey to get some shots on the 8 line, but that requires some work with the poor depression.  Generally, I would clear the abbey and then flex to the west or east depending on which one you think "needs" it more.

Prokhorovka from either spawn you can play the 6 line or the 9/0 line.  I would play whichever one your team does not.  In general, it is better to have good 6 line play than 9/0 play.  From the north spawn, you can use the gentle slope near the houses on the 6 line to elevate one corner of your tank, allowing you more depression over the other to shoot the hill.  On the 9/0 you are not really getting shots, just flashlighting.

Right on, thanks Zeven.  Loved how you bounced off an arty with IS-7 gold ammo!  I also didn't know that you could shoot through rails, so that's helpful for that position.  Also love how calm you are when you say "I hate how this waffle can sit here and artillery doesn't shoot him.  It's the most frustrating thing in the world for me."  Vs. "Shoot the fucking arty you goddamn noobs!  What are you waiting for, a fucking gold-plated invitation?"  You'd totally clean up in poker.

And just to let you know, I was playing my first KV-13 match today (decided to grind that line while I can).  Top tier, in a platoon with a T29 and I hear you saying "bully, bully, bully".  So we push and win the 2 line.  But 9-0 has fallen, I hear "go back to base, defending is better than capping."  Start going back to base.  Spot a Bishop mid-map fleeing their cap, pause to shoot it, here you say "That tank is worth nothing.  Literally nothing.  It can't hurt anyone while it's moving and you need to help keep your VK heavy alive at your cap."  I don't listen to you, shoot him, feel guilty that our VK dies on our cap "That VK's death is all on you.  Entirely on you". (not quite true, but I get the point)  But I get back, plug their VK heavy twice to interrupt its cap, foil a Cromwell that's trying to circle me (halfway through the circle I just back up to give him my front), and pivot to bounce a Ram II at the same time.  Get in some damage, die, but our team caps out handily.  A win, ~3K Wn8 match, level 1 badge.  Thanks in large part to listening to your advice to other replays.  If I had "listened" to you about the Bishop I might have had a Mastery badge, as I could have gotten in probably 3-4 more shots (and almost certainly another kill) against the enemy.  So thanks for the "replay" advice and I'll try to listen better next time! :thumbup:

Lol, love it!  I hope that people learn things from the stream that help them when they are playing.  I am not always right, but I do always provide a rationale for what I do.  It is up to you to figure out whether it works for you or not.

For a guy who's on hiatus for about half a year, what should I know for the meta and tanks?

I do not think the meta has really changed that much.  TD's and artillery are worse now than they were then.  Firepower (especially burst) and the ability to flex still facilitates winning in random battles.  A lot of pubbies still camp with or without artillery in the game.  Most of the tanks added in that time frame are pretty much clones of existing tanks (either in design or playstyle).  Most of the new tier 8 light tanks are fun... :)

this is interesting, after some observation, I realized many unicums are now playing tier 10s exclusively (save for some credit grind).

is tier 10 the best tier to train your skills as well as stat padding now(russian mediums for example)?

one of my old clanmate yatogami started playing T-62A non-stop after I went AFK now he's considered a "god" among many players; his stats also gained quite significantly

from what I could tell, for one thing you are always on top of the roaster, plus sometimes the expected damage value is quite low compared to the actual potential of those tanks

Tier 10 is a good place to work on your skills for a number of reasons.  You are always "top" tier and can focus on optimizing your bullying strategy.  You also generally have good crews and want to work on those crews anyways.

As far as stat padding goes, it is all dependent upon expected values.  Yato benefits from the "low" expected values of the T-62A, but Yato is also a good player.  You can be both.  Generally speaking, light tanks are still the "easiest" to pad in if you know what you are doing (because most people do poor damage in light tanks).

I usually say that you should just focus on doing what it takes to help your team win and the stats will be whatever they are supposed to be.  If you focus on stats, you aren't as focused on winning (unless you are one of those special people capable of giving 110%).  I find that I have a good chance to mop up against most stat padders because I (usually) do not drive into their wheelhouse (allow myself to get sniped by them) and they do not usually have a comprehensive toolset to deal with me (most of them utilize terrain poorly at close range).

http://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/v/5561242

So, I think I've watched the first battle in that rebroadcast about 10 times now, haha. Zeven complimented me, twice!

The funniest part is that during the battle, I asked myself several times "I wonder where Zeven went". I was just driving around doing my thing. Then when I went to watch the rebroadcast, he was right there with me the whole game. Right at the beginning I drove past him and didn't even realize it.

Just seeing my stats in the game reminds me that when I first submitted a replay for review that my overall w/r was 53% and wn8 was about 1500 with under 2k wn8 and 55% recent. I'm pretty sure some of my improvement since then has been because of the stream and replay reviews.

Zeven, do you think the map Swamp should be removed? Or do it might be profitable if Wargaming fixed up the entire map?

http://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na/v/5561242

So, I think I've watched the first battle in that rebroadcast about 10 times now, haha. Zeven complimented me, twice!

The funniest part is that during the battle, I asked myself several times "I wonder where Zeven went". I was just driving around doing my thing. Then when I went to watch the rebroadcast, he was right there with me the whole game. Right at the beginning I drove past him and didn't even realize it.

Just seeing my stats in the game reminds me that when I first submitted a replay for review that my overall w/r was 53% and wn8 was about 1500 with under 2k wn8 and 55% recent. I'm pretty sure some of my improvement since then has been because of the stream and replay reviews.

I am usually lurking around the frontline someplace looking to help... =D

Zeven, do you think the map Swamp should be removed? Or do it might be profitable if Wargaming fixed up the entire map?

I think Swamp is technically ok (just that the pubbie meta is awful).  The metrics say that it causes a lot of slow play, so if Wargaming decides to change it, they will probably flatten out the ridges on both sides (essentially making it themed like every other map).  I do not mind maps with ridges and valleys, it simply requires a different style of play (not camping) to be effective.  Swamp is still one of my better win rate maps (>70% over the last 190 games), demonstrating that one person doing the right things can make a difference.

Hey Zeven, seeing you having soooo many tanks in garage I have a few questions.

- How often do you farm credits to get the tanks you have? You seem to retain a lot of tanks when you are moving on to the next tier, which means you need even more credits to purchase new tanks

- How do you get the crew to work for you if you decided to keep a certain tank? Currently what I do is I sell the tank and put the crew in the next tier. This saves me some time on grinding credits for the next tier tank, but more importantly, I have no crew for my old tank anyway. I recently sold my T-54 despite my love for it because I wanted to move on to the T-62A, and I don't want to play with an unskilled crew at tier 9.

Edited by megumino2

Hey Zeven, seeing you having soooo many tanks in garage I have a few questions.

- How often do you farm credits to get the tanks you have? You seem to retain a lot of tanks when you are moving on to the next tier, which means you need even more credits to purchase new tanks

- How do you get the crew to work for you if you decided to keep a certain tank? Currently what I do is I sell the tank and put the crew in the next tier. This saves me some time on grinding credits for the next tier tank, but more importantly, I have no crew for my old tank anyway. I recently sold my T-54 despite my love for it because I wanted to move on to the T-62A, and I don't want to play with an unskilled crew at tier 9.

I have never really farmed credits.  I buy as much as I can when it is on sale (tanks, equipment, consumables, etc.).  I have had a premium account since about 6 months into the game and did have the Lowe early on (it is currently tops among my premium tanks with 595 games played).  I pretty much just do random tank dailies every day, including random premium tanks (currently, I have played my premium tanks in 4180 of my 36485 games, ~11.5%).  I never really played company battles or anything like that, just primarily random battles.  I do not really use very much premium ammo or premium consumables in random battles.  All these things add up to me making credits in every session (and I play pretty much every day).

When I first started, the idea that I had was to leapfrog crews.  For example, I would have a crew in the M6 and the T29.  When I unlocked the T32, I would move the M6 crew to the T32 and so forth as I went up the tier.  I would still do dailies in the "lower" tier tank (as long as I liked it).  I did this in pretty much every line.  This allowed me to develop two crews per line and still have sixth sense in a timely fashion.  The drawback to this is that my crews are a little bit less developed than someone who focused on just one crew per line (although not by much due to the nature of how I play).  I then added extra crews much later as I found "keeper tanks" that I wanted to have available all the time.  I think I am up to around 17 crews or so with at least two full skills (and most of those have at least three now) in the original three nations.  I work on new crews a lot less now even with the newer nations.  I will try to remember to do a crew inventory sometime.  I still have this idea that I might have the highest (or close to it) total crew experience on the server.

Hey Zeven, I enjoy the stream alot. I find it very helpful. I currently am on a deployment with limited internet access so I can not watch it live.

The posts to you tube help alot. I like the idea of leap frogging crews. I think I will try that from now on.

Thanks for the stream.

Bring the Tao of tanks to Eastern Africa.

LSID

Hey Zeven, I've noticed you've started talking a LOT more about bullying tanks in the recent months, mind stating your mental checklist that goes on before you do bully a tank?

I still have this idea that I might have the highest (or close to it) total crew experience on the server.

Maybe the most 3 skill / developed crews but it wouldn't make sense to have near the most crew exp without having near the highest amount of battles.

I've always fixated on the x2 and x3 crew exp events so I have a decent amount of crews for my battles, I think. Training crews has always been enticing to me for some reason. For example, when they had the event that gave x2 (or x3?) crew exp to American crews with a x.5 credit boost, I played on enough on the SuperPershing with it's built in .5 crew multiplier to go from a plain 100% crew to 75% on the third skill.

4 skill,

Russian: 2

British: 1

American: 2

3 skill crews,

American: 3

German: 1

British: 1

Russian: 1

And nine 2 skill crews

I'm not actually sure how this stacks up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯