Istanbultaye

Helping A LostMuffin Find His Way

I have been a member of WotLabs for about a month and a half, and been playing WoT for about 3 months. I'm closing in on 3k battles, with an overall of 52% / 696; recent 55% / 1022. I've improved quite a since I've joined just through reading threads and guides, and watching some of the youtube videos and streams that are out there. I figure it might be time for me to start getting more feedback directly about my game in addition to just absorbing advice and information for the community in general and other players.

So, in this thread I'd like to ask for a few things, from anyone who has time.

1. Random Replay review – If you have time to go to my vbaddict profile and grab a random replay of your choice to review (to avoid me cherry picking) and review and provide advice, I'd especially like the following-

(a) The single worst mistake I made in the battle.
 (b) The best play I made in the battle (if any).
 © Any other advice you care to offer, but really one point to try to fix and another to build on is probably all I can really absorb to carry over from a single battle anyways.

2. Curated Replay review – I will post a replay or two periodically with some comments of what I was thinking as I went through the battle, and what I thought I did wrong or well. If you have time, take a look and tell me where my thoughts were misguided or I've analyzed incorrectly after the fact.

3. If you have any overall themes that you are seeing in my stats and/or replays that I need to correct, any non-specific replay related advice is also welcome. (btw, I haven't played an arty in nearly 2 months, so ignore that 100+ games I played in the Priest trying to do that On Track event like a noob)

I don't really want anyone to spend an inordinate amount of time looking at my replays and stuff, since in the end it's up to me to actually improve, but any feedback is appreciated,

Thanks all!

LostMuffin

P.S. I'll post a couple replays below in a little bit.

Conducting a Tier IV Lemming Train - Battle Report / Replay

lemming_train.jpg

Initial Thoughts: It's a Tier IV match, I can be a little more aggressive. But, this isn't a greatly armored tank, so not too much. Not much heavy and a lot of lights on both sides (naturally for low tier) so I figure I can help out in city.

In Play: At first it seems like a decent crowd is heading to town.

14:40 - I see that they are really all going mid. After waiting a few seconds to be sure, I follow the lemming train to the middle to try my best to enforce.

14:00-13:30 – It takes me some time to find some decent shots. I get a shot on a VK that gets taken out by the rest.

13:00 – I see the AMX coming up behind and move to take it out. I actually do good at taking time to aim at weak spot to finish it off.

12:30 – I unwisely push out into the open to take shots at the chi-ha. I finish it and move on to the DW2 and help finish it off. I took 2 shots from the Chi-Ha and I'm darn lucky nothing from the base campers came my way.

12:00 – I circle back around to go for the B1. I bounce some shots I shouldn't have due to auto aim, and probably should have approached it more safely to save some HP as well. But I do finish him off, and our team is in good shape with a 7-5 advantage. I move to get with the rest of the team for mop up.

11:00 – I approach from the open like a noob. I see a shot hit the ground near by and start looking around. Arty tracks me and the TD finishes me like a boss.

I then spend the rest of the battle watching the team come close to losing.

Analysis: I did pretty well, but I definitely left some things on the table. If I had played smarter, the game wouldn't have come down to a 12 second lead on cap. I think the biggest thing I should have done really is at the end, realize that we never had anyone in the city the whole game, and tally up the spots to recognize that there is probably at least one tank sneaking up through the city. I think my smartest move at the end might have actually been to go back to defend. But, the team does have some trouble with the tanks that stayed behind so maybe I should have just taken a better route while going to help with mop up.

Churchill Down - Battle Report / Replay

ChurchillDownATier.jpg

Initial Thoughts: I'm a heavy, and the valley sucks pretty much for everything. Teams are pretty even, but I'm down a tier. Let the top tiers duke it out in the more open western area, so go to the city where I can get some shots but have a bit more protection.

In Play: 14:17 – I see KV-1S pop up and 1 shot the poor little stug – R.I.P. I turn back a bit more to the west end of the city, where I was originally going to try the more middle area of it that I hadn't tried before, to see if I can get any safe-ish shots at it.

14:00-13:30 I take a series of terrible shots at the churchill that pops up and get mostly wrecked by multiple tanks.

I finally pen it once and start alternating between it and the T-150 that has crashed up closer. I get the T-150 down quite a bit and someone finishes it off then dies themselves. I then get finished off by a Leopard from the back.

I then watch a purple manage to survive to the end.

Analysis: The whole team basically collapsed, and I at least managed to not potato, I'd say (at least by my standards), but I think I could have made better shots in the beginning, and possibly should have located differently knowing that bad-ass KV-1S gun was nearby.

20140922215909 - lostmuffin - fisherman-s-bay-japan-type-5-ke-ho - 8051609097527789.wotreplay

• You use super mega ultra zoom. Is this really necessary? All it does is give you superior tunnel vision while also making it really difficult to aim at things at close range unless you have extra high mouse sensitivity to go with it.

• Out of 6 shots on the VK2001D, it looks like one bounced, one went into his tracks, and three just missed completely. You only penetrated once. Maybe your zoom was causing disorientation, or you could just be really really bad at aiming.

• Acutally, only one shot hits the cupola you were persumably aiming for. You must have miraculous levels of luck, because your other two shots, one goes into his driver hatch while the other hits his mudguard, both weakspots. Wow. Also, the shot that does go into the cupola hit it at it's weakest possible spot; the entire thing is 80mm, but your shell flies into a random 40mm portion instead.

• Autoaim aims at what's basically the thickness possible B1 side possible, because it aims at the tracks, which adds another 20mm to what could have been an easily killable tank.

• 1. You tried to command your teammates after you died. Dumb, pointless, rarely helps you win. 2. The recommendation you gave to return to base was wrong and would have caused a defeat. Had they listened, by the time you realised your mistake, it would have been too late.

• Big mistakes don't happen at the end, they happen anywhere before that. You only put yourself into that situation because of all the other stuff you decided to do earlier. Their SAu 40 in their base has 3 kills by the time you killed the B1. It's a miracle you didn't die instaneously when you charged the Chi-He. That was also your biggest mistake, if you were curious.

Thank you for your reply. All good feedback.

In regards to the zoom, I've been trying a few different modpacks over the past month or so trying to find a balance between too much info/features and too little. Anfield's has been the best balance I've seen so far, so I think I'll go back to that.

My aim is certainly not great, as evidenced by my ~ 63% hit rate (which probably means I pen less than 50% of my shots). The VK is a tank I haven't studied yet in terms of weakspots, so I was pretty lost there. Can't exactly stop to look them up in the middle of the battle. The AMX, I was talking about my last shot being aimed. I've found my best success against that tank shooting for that space between the turret and the hull, because that cupola has a tendency to move more drastically. All my shots prior to that were sure as heck luck. Before I found that weakspot a couple weeks ago, those tanks used to SERIOUSLY piss me off as I couldn't even pen with a KV-1... (terrible). Is there a better spot to aim besides the turret ring or the cupoloa? I haven't found better looking at wotguru or in game.

Do you have any advice for ways to slow the game down mentally and take the time to aim well? I think that's my biggest problem, zoom settings aside.

I try not to be "that" guy giving advice after I die, but once in awhile my filter doesn't kick in.  So that was an Ooooops!

Thanks again for your feedback!

My aim is certainly not great, as evidenced by my ~ 63% hit rate (which probably means I pen less than 50% of my shots).

Actually, that's pretty typical for low-tier tanks, the hit rate, that is.

The VK is a tank I haven't studied yet in terms of weakspots, so I was pretty lost there. Can't exactly stop to look them up in the middle of the battle.

VK2001D, frontal hull only 50mm with slight slope.

The AMX, I was talking about my last shot being aimed. I've found my best success against that tank shooting for that space between the turret and the hull, because that cupola has a tendency to move more drastically. All my shots prior to that were sure as heck luck. Before I found that weakspot a couple weeks ago, those tanks used to SERIOUSLY piss me off as I couldn't even pen with a KV-1... (terrible). Is there a better spot to aim besides the turret ring or the cupoloa? I haven't found better looking at wotguru or in game.

ZtY8YVU.png

These spots are 70mm, cupola is 80mm.

Do you have any advice for ways to slow the game down mentally and take the time to aim well? I think that's my biggest problem, zoom settings aside.

Experience and confidence. After many many matches, everything starts to "make sense" more. Not sure if you understand what I mean by that. It's what allows stuff like to happen.

20140922214344 - lostmuffin - westfield-great-britain-churchill-i - 12556600294301268.wotreplay

• That middle area is usually the place where people get shot from multiple angles and die horribly.

• Shooting through destructibles isn't really the best idea, because you lose 25mm penetration for every object you destroy. There were at least 2 walls between you and the enemy, so that's an auto -50mm penetration.

• You tunnelvision and get stuck against the building.

• One does not "alternate targets". The T150 clearly has side shots on you, so he's the threat you needed to focus on. The Churchill was a nonfactor unless he moves closer.

A real analysis: Went to a bad spot, got shot from multiple angles, died horribly, a fail, or potato, if you want to call it that.

I'm not going to look at random replays, but if you post replays with comments of the same quality as the ones above, then i'm fine with those.

Hmm... I'll have to try that LFP target against the next AMX I see. When I had looked at the weakspots for some reason that didn't stand out to me.

Thanks for checking the other too. So basically, I should go upper NW basically every time, and maybe just hang back further since I wasn't top tier, then maybe relocate midgame if I can tell there's an opening due to spotted tanks being accounted for.

I'm not going to look at random replays, but if you post replays with comments of the same quality as the ones above, then i'm fine with those.

Anything anybody is willing to do, I will gladly accept. I don't want to just spam out a bunch of replays though like an attention hog, so I'll probably just pick one or two every week or two for now. I know I've seen in other threads some people doing mentoring prefer to do the replay choosing themselves, which is why I posted the link to the repository on vbaddict :).

Thanks for checking the other too. So basically, I should go upper NW basically every time, and maybe just hang back further since I wasn't top tier, then maybe relocate midgame if I can tell there's an opening due to spotted tanks being accounted for.

This is pretty much my route for a typical match: http://wotreplays.com/site/1191214

Needless to say this doesn't work for every match, but you get the general idea.

Anything anybody is willing to do, I will gladly accept. I don't want to just spam out a bunch of replays though like an attention hog, so I'll probably just pick one or two every week or two for now. I know I've seen in other threads some people doing mentoring prefer to do the replay choosing themselves, which is why I posted the link to the repository on vbaddict :).

See, when I look at replay reviews, most of the time the stuff is just dumb, stupid, doesn't make sense. It's pretty difficult for me to understand the thoughts of others doing things that.. I don't even know. I could guess at what they're trying to do, but that takes a whole deal more time than if they were to just tell me what they thought they were doing. This also has the added effect of making them think about what they did, which sometimes causes them to realise what they did wrong without me having to point anything out. Essentially a time-saver for me, not so much for you, but oh well.

See, when I look at replay reviews, most of the time the stuff is just dumb, stupid, doesn't make sense. It's pretty difficult for me to understand the thoughts of others doing things that.. I don't even know. I could guess at what they're trying to do, but that takes a whole deal more time than if they were to just tell me what they thought they were doing. This also has the added effect of making them think about what they did, which sometimes causes them to realise what they did wrong without me having to point anything out. Essentially a time-saver for me, not so much for you, but oh well.

I figure if I can't learn to at least point it out myself, then I'm probably not going to learn to stop doing it in game. However, I do see the point of making sure I have some 'accountability' by allowing anyone who wishes to check my random games, instead of just ones I've chosen. Basically, I think both methods have merit. :)

Small sample size, but tonight I did much better compared to last night (survived 7/15 instead of 1/16 - holy **** did I die a lot last night), as I was chanting, "Don't YOLO. Don't YOLO."