urnotpaul

Wargame: airland battle

go into a 10v10 to be carried hard or carry hard.

I'm not sure about 10v10, it looks gimmicky as hell. 

I had my first poopsack session with the game last night, first playing two 2v2 Conquest matches (won 1, lost 1) and then doing three 3v3 Destruction games (won 2, lost 1). The Conquest one I lost was against a ranked player, and showed me how much I still have to learn; I haven't felt so helpless in a game in awhile. 

One thing I really like about the game is that the skill level of the players involved is palpable from the tactical decisions and time between decisions you can see the other guy making.  

Also Conquest >> Destruction 

yea i should probably do more 1v1 and 2v2 because i suck in that #45%er

I'm skeered to 1v1, mostly because of my skill but also because I hear it's a gimmicky format. Also, the game is more fun with friends even if they're no better at the game than I am! 

I'm skeered to 1v1, mostly because of my skill but also because I hear it's a gimmicky format. Also, the game is more fun with friends even if they're no better at the game than I am! 

I haven't played in a long time, so I take this with a grain of salt, but back when I played that's completely true. The game gets really cheesy when its 1vs1 because the unit counts are so small and maps are so big. I think Wargame is best played with 2-4 players per side. You get a much more even spread of units and each battle can be micro'd by each player.

Tried my first 10v10 tonight. 25 minutes in and the game kicks me out for having too slow of a computer. ;__; I suppose it is a bit of a problem to be 30 seconds behind everyone else gameplay-wise. Probably will avoid them from now on (don't really like Ragnarok anyway), but finding smaller games isn't easy with 400 people online.

I think I'm still doing something wrong with the campaign.  I can't seem to win convincingly enough.  Endless grinders deplete my formations of key units, and I can't win except Pyrric-ally.

Should I be focusing more on sectors and win over multiple days, or is a single-day offensive victory possible?  So far the only way I've won really cleanly is by turtling on town strongpoints and hoping the AI feeds into my infantry.

Canadian and I recently finished our campaign; did the third one on hard. A few units we brought in early were pretty expended in units. Just took so long bringing new units in from the top of the map. By the end of it though I think we were wishing for more fun with some of the stronger battle groups. Don't think any of our tank regiments got to see action. Only one was brought in even.

Airland battle is the WOT of RTSes, more emphasis on good macromanagement over twitch

So you can actually watch stuff going on instead of trying to be 3 places at once? Also, can you pause to issue commands? (in SP anyway)

I'm not a big RTS fan because of the pace, is this one appreciably slower-paced than most?

So you can actually watch stuff going on instead of trying to be 3 places at once? Also, can you pause to issue commands? (in SP anyway)

I'm not a big RTS fan because of the pace, is this one appreciably slower-paced than most?

Yes and no.

When shit goes down, it goes down fast usually. Unless you want to micro a specific unit (which you can), it's more a game of proper positioning and recon, issuing commands, and then letting your unit AI do the shooting.

You can't pause in SP to issue commands, AFAIK.

One way to explain this, this is a game in which you can have some ATGM (anti tank guided missile) infantry sitting in a village along a crossroads. You look away for 10 seconds to call up some supply trucks, move back to the infantry and realize in those 10 seconds they've shat out 6 Milans and wasted a T-55 and a few BTR's about a klick away. All on their own. Now go order up a supply truck to give them some more Milans before they run out of ammo.