monjardin

WoTScout.com: Your weekly tournament scouting resource!

Skirmish 37 just wrapped up the group stage and my team, Liquid Myth, got 5k gold again by the narrowest of margins. We like to know what kind of competition we are going to see during the group stages ahead of time. However, digging through the worldoftanks.com interface to find all of the teams & players as well as looking up their stats on WoTLabs.net is tedious.

I wrote a script that pulled all of this information together for us each night. The result was so well received by my teammates that I decided to build a website to provide the same convenience to the whole WoT community. Now I give you WoTScout.com.

WoTScout.com provides the group stage standings for all active skirmishes. Each team’s schedule and results are listed along with the clan affiliation and overall WN8 score of the team members. Logging in with your WoT account will allow the website to pull your teams across tournaments into a convenient list.

I’m not a web developer by trade, and I put this project together fairly quickly. Therefore, I wouldn’t be surprised to have some growing pains. However, I’d love for you guys to give it a try and provide suggestions for improvements and new functionality.

Thanks,

monjardin

I personally don't do tourneys, but i can see a lot of potential on this site

Good job, really informative and interesting :)

+1 that is a really really cool idea for a site. When my tourney team did skirmishes we always were trying to figure out which teams were the "good" teams and this site makes that a lot easier.

The matches for tonight are up. Bravo teams show up at the bottom of the standings. I haven't put tournament brackets in since they don't seem necessary.

Scheduling automatic updates is a pain since WG is so hit and miss on how and when they update the tournament data. So, I'll be manually firing off updates until I can identify an actionable pattern.

This is pretty amazing.  Thanks for putting this together.

Will you be expanding into leagues?  The open exhibition is on-going, and I would love to use this tool for that as well.

Either way, I intend to fight skirmishes again and will bookmark the site.  

How hard would it be to add recent WN8?  

---

Edit: any reason you aren't advertising this on the main forums?

I thought the site was for actual scouting, I'm slightly disappoint.

However, I can see the usefulness of the site, and I'm not in a major clan (yet).

Will you be expanding into leagues? The open exhibition is on-going, and I would love to use this tool for that as well.

I've never played in the leagues. So, I just tackled the familiar first. I'll take a look at the league data.

How hard would it be to add recent WN8?

That would be very useful. My original script that was used privately scraped overall and 60 day WN8 off of WoTLabs.net. I didn't think that would be appropriate for the website. An API with reasonable terms of service would be awesome.

So, I'm caching the XVM stats through the same JSON web service that the in-game mod uses. They only update when a player's team is viewed, and at most once per week. That's to speed things up and not piss off the XVM guys.

Unfortunately, XVM doesn't include recent stats. Maybe I should bite the bullet and do my own calculations...

Edit: any reason you aren't advertising this on the main forums?

This forum is of better quality, and it's where I do my lurking. I built this project for my teammates and I, but also wanted to give back this community. The unwashed masses of the main forum will find it eventually if they look. ;)

I thought the site was for actual scouting, I'm slightly disappoint.

However, I can see the usefulness of the site, and I'm not in a major clan (yet).

My first script was called skirmishspy.py. WoTSpy.com is being squatted with an old Bobby McFarron video. So, WoTScout.com was closest domain available. Naming is hard, do you have any recommendations?

You definitely don't need to be in a major clan to play skirmishes. Mythos [MYTH_] fielded two teams that made the 5k gold cutoff this week, Liquid Myth [1] and v-V-v [2]. Small tournament focused clans can do very well. It's much more lucrative in gold payouts versus the time spent if you aren't one of the big boys.

Why don't you round up a LABS team for the tier five skirmish next week? The shorter bravo entry may seem tempting, but you can make quadruple doing the group stage and alpha tournament. Liquid Myth hasn't been very consistent in the playoffs recently, but making the top 10% in the group stage more often than not keeps the gold piling up. I haven't had to play a stock tank since I started participating in skirmishes, and that makes me happy!

[1] http://wotscout.com/team/97795

[2] http://wotscout.com/team/97929

My first script was called skirmishspy.py. WoTSpy.com is being squatted with an old Bobby McFarron video. So, WoTScout.com was closest domain available. Naming is hard, do you have any recommendations?

You definitely don't need to be in a major clan to play skirmishes. Mythos [MYTH_] fielded two teams that made the 5k gold cutoff this week, Liquid Myth [1] and v-V-v [2]. Small tournament focused clans can do very well. It's much more lucrative in gold payouts versus the time spent if you aren't one of the big boys.

Why don't you round up a LABS team for the tier five skirmish next week? The shorter bravo entry may seem tempting, but you can make quadruple doing the group stage and alpha tournament. Liquid Myth hasn't been very consistent in the playoffs recently, but making the top 10% in the group stage more often than not keeps the gold piling up. I haven't had to play a stock tank since I started don't skirmishes, and that makes me happy!

[1] http://wotscout.com/team/97795

[2] http://wotscout.com/team/97929

Gonna have to talk to the big man (Never) about that.

As for name... KGB? IDK, names aren't my thing.

How about WoTLabs signatures with links to the WotLabs statistics page?

Fantastic!

Pulling up the signatures was how I posted the competition on our forum anyways.

The data was sketchy earlier this morning, but it looks like WG finally got all the games posted for the first group stage of Skirmish 38 tonight. Good luck everyone!

http://wotscout.com/skirmish/940

Liquid Myth had to settle for 7,000 gold, but we get a rematch of the playoff final tonight. At least canadianimpact won't be able to abuse us in his shiny new RU 251 again.

http://wotscout.com/team/98242

Hey this is a pretty interesting resource.

A few quick questions / points:

1. Where do you see the API references for tournaments? I looked here and only saw references related to player and clan information.

2. Would you reconsider mining the wotlabs/noobmeter pages for recent WR/WN8 instead of posting the signatures? IMO just reproducing the signatures looks unpolished. There's also little difference in mining the data, and mining the signature links.

3. Related to point #2 above, there's little point in you recalculating WN8 / storing recent WN8 data. That's doing the same work that somebody else is already focussed on. Maybe you could contact the relevant webmasters to seek their approval.

4. How automated are the skirmish rankings? Are they recalculated in real time (i.e. whenever there is a result updated on the tournament page), or do you have to trigger a recalculation or manually input the data for each group?

The matches for tonight are up. Bravo teams show up at the bottom of the standings. I haven't put tournament brackets in since they don't seem necessary.

Scheduling automatic updates is a pain since WG is so hit and miss on how and when they update the tournament data. So, I'll be manually firing off updates until I can identify an actionable pattern.

Maybe you could schedule hourly update checks. Each hour you will check the WOT website to see if it's changed since the last time. If it's changed then your scripts run to update your website. If it hasn't changed then the script closes.

The shorter bravo entry may seem tempting, but you can make quadruple doing the group stage and alpha tournament. Liquid Myth hasn't been very consistent in the playoffs recently, but making the top 10% in the group stage more often than not keeps the gold piling up. I haven't had to play a stock tank since I started participating in skirmishes, and that makes me happy!

While you can easily make more in alpha I wouldn't discourage a team from doing Bravo. During the summer my team was finishing in the top 20% and making it a couple of rounds through the playoff. However once school started up my teams weekday attendance dropped dramatically where were barely making the top 50% due to playing shorthanded. When you get into the playoff as a 50% team you get matched against the top 10% teams. So by doing alpha we were only getting 750 gold. We decided to switch to Bravo at least until most of our team can start participating on the weekdays again. In Bravo we are usually getting 1000-2500 gold for less time and effort than if we played Alpha and got 750. Anyway, just saying that different teams have different issues and Bravo may work better for some teams. 

Maybe you could schedule hourly update checks. Each hour you will check the WOT website to see if it's changed since the last time. If it's changed then your scripts run to update your website. If it hasn't changed then the script closes.

In line with this suggestion, I would say (since you only target weekly skirmishes at the moment) that the updates can be timed at 8pm EDT daily, with an additional update at 5pm EDT on Sunday (just for the semis). Players rarely look at theirs opponents more than 2 hours before the first match anyway.

1. Where do you see the API references for tournaments? I looked here and only saw references related to player and clan information.

There is no published API for tournament data. It's a huge pain in the ass. Some of the information is exposed via private JSON API. Other data has to be scraped from the HTML pages.

2. Would you reconsider mining the wotlabs/noobmeter pages for recent WR/WN8 instead of posting the signatures? IMO just reproducing the signatures looks unpolished. There's also little difference in mining the data, and mining the signature links.

An API for fetching this information would be great. The XVM API is easy to use, but it doesn't have recent WN8.

3. Related to point #2 above, there's little point in you recalculating WN8 / storing recent WN8 data. That's doing the same work that somebody else is already focussed on. Maybe you could contact the relevant webmasters to seek their approval.

I agree, and I'll do that.

4. How automated are the skirmish rankings? Are they recalculated in real time (i.e. whenever there is a result updated on the tournament page), or do you have to trigger a recalculation or manually input the data for each group?

I've been trying to get this all automated, but WG is extremely inconsistent on when and how they update the data. Yesterday, they posted a partial schedule and then later changed the times that were already posted. I can tell that they have internal identifiers for each event (i.e. game), but I haven't found a way to link that ID to the schedule shown on each team page. So, it's mostly triggered manually at the moment.

Ideally, it would grab the alpha teams and players Monday morning. Then the schedules would update after 3pm CST since that's when WG often--but not always--posts them. If I could fetch match results individually, then I could schedule an update at the beginning of the following round. Otherwise, the rankings would be computed at the end of the night (~10:30 CST). The bravo teams close Friday morning, and they can be plugged in at that time.

The problem with that is that I haven't found a good way to uniquely identify matches yet. The easiest way to grab each team's schedule is on the team page (e.g. http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/98519/). However, they don't tag the events with the internal database ID. So, I have to use a combination of the team ID and date/time to uniquely index them. If I use the events before the date/time is posted, or if they change the date/time like last night, then we end up with duplicate and/or incorrect information.

I don't want to spend any time babying this thing. Automation is a huge priority.

It'd be kinda awesome if you tracked individual players and teams across multiple tournaments.

I've had the same thought. It would be easy to add with a full database of tournament activity too.

Yesterday, I had my first experience with what happens to a tournament from the previous week. They shit can it. The data is no longer accessible. Had I known that, I wouldn't have dropped the whole database while doing a schema change yesterday. All the Skirmish 37 data is gone.

In line with this suggestion, I would say (since you only target weekly skirmishes at the moment) that the updates can be timed at 8pm EDT daily, with an additional update at 5pm EDT on Sunday (just for the semis). Players rarely look at theirs opponents more than 2 hours before the first match anyway.

That's basically what I do right now. I'm still doing manual triggers since I'm adjusting to handling partial updates and what not. However, I can just throw that schedule in my crontab when I'm confident everything will go smoothly.

The problem with that is that I haven't found a good way to uniquely identify matches yet. The easiest way to grab each team's schedule is on the team page (e.g. http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/98519/). However, they don't tag the events with the internal database ID. So, I have to use a combination of the team ID and date/time to uniquely index them. If I use the events before the date/time is posted, or if they change the date/time like last night, then we end up with duplicate and/or incorrect information.

I don't want to spend any time babying this thing. Automation is a huge priority.

LOL yup. Otherwise you spend more time updating the site for EVERY team in the tournament, rather than just the teams you are facing.

Yesterday, I had my first experience with what happens to a tournament from the previous week. They shit can it. The data is no longer accessible. Had I known that, I wouldn't have dropped the whole database while doing a schema change yesterday. All the Skirmish 37 data is gone.

You will have to maintain your own database for previous skirmishes. I don't really see the point of doing so though, since the focus (at least, right now) is on scouting out your opponents for the week.

---

Question: Is it possible to mine from the main tournament page (or at least without going into the individual pages for each group), the URL for each team's team page?

You will have to maintain your own database for previous skirmishes. I don't really see the point of doing so though, since the focus (at least, right now) is on scouting out your opponents for the week.

One advantage of keeping the data is that you can check out past performance of a team or players in tournaments. Maybe that would be for wotscout 2.0.

Unfortunately I didn't look at skirmish 37 before it got wiped, but do you keep track of the Bravo playoffs? My team has mostly been playing Bravo due to time constraints during the week.

Yeah that's a possibility. In the meantime, I find recent WN8 to be a good indicator (esp. since the entire team will have relatively proximate recent WN8 values).

AFAIK, nobody tracks Bravo playoffs (or Alpha playoffs, for that matter). Moguai / Icedbroom track Alpha group stages, so the impatient ones can quickly determine how much they made after 3 nights.

Nice Site !!!

I have been doing scouting reports for our teams for quite some time now, and this site will come in handy. Now through out my developement of my scouting reports mine have some basic statistical comparison formulas build in.

So I would need raw data (ie. Player Name, Recent WN8, Overall, WR) if it is possible to also fetch that data off of the WoTlabs tables that would be epic. I have been trying to write a Excel script/macros myself for some time myself but I am not a coder/ script writter so it has been a series of fails. So if you could include that as raw data in a table or copy and pasteable this would be great.

Thanks for the shout out scyorkie ;)

As for Tracking the playoffs..... Well I kind of do that already but since it is pretty self-explainitory I don't publish that info.