Deathpig_Jones

T49 -- Land Arty in a Bite-Size Package

^ Well said, exactly my feelings.

How many of those little beasts roam the servers now? I really want to end my lorry grind but if I have 2 t49's per game I might want to postpone that.

So far, I've seen another T49 only once. This will probably change soon though as the grinders catch up.

Over the 150 odd battles I've had over the past few days, I have seen 5 or so T49's, 7-8 RU251's and no T54L's. I have seen countless M41 bulldogs and a fair few LTTB's. I still see more AMX 13 90's and WZ 132's.

I dont think we will see a surge of T49's in general. It is a very hard tank to play well, much like most T8 lights are. and the bane of a T49 is another T49 that plays it even better than you :P

Been grinding the T37 for a bit now (I'm not a dirty free xp'er), and the T49 is the only tank that REALLY scares me.

KV-2's do ~300 dmg to my T29 turret, I'm less than enthusiastic to have that same gun rushing off to find and kill me in my Chaffee 2.0.

Over the 150 odd battles I've had over the past few days, I have seen 5 or so T49's, 7-8 RU251's and no T54L's. I have seen countless M41 bulldogs and a fair few LTTB's. I still see more AMX 13 90's and WZ 132's.

I dont think we will see a surge of T49's in general. It is a very hard tank to play well, much like most T8 lights are. and the bane of a T49 is another T49 that plays it even better than you :P

Remember that typical tomato thinking is: Big gun with big damage = gud stronk tonk

So far, I've been mostly horrifyingly bad in it, but I actually started the tank on a 100/100/75xxxx crew, too.

And the good moments I've had have been fantastic.

The Walker Bulldog is a murder machine by contrast. While I've had a couple great games in the T49 (and a huge pile of ass), I've had a couple derps and otherwise mostly consistency from the WB.  The WB is totally an Old Chaffee with better everything AND better MM.

Got the hull side of my Cent I penned for 1100 hp  on Mines encounter yesterday. Thought it was arty, before realising the incoming direction was rather odd.

Then the T49 got spotted on that western rock promontory.

I genuinely chuckled (then relocated the hell off).

Remember that T49 was just introduced, i bet you will see much more of them as people finish their grinds.

Remember that T49 was just introduced, i bet you will see much more of them as people finish their grinds.

Of course :) But given how the tank handles, I doubt we will see them in any numbers exceeding the 13 90 or WZ132's. It is a niche tank, and while it packs a boomstick worth writing songs about, it takes effort to do well in. And after the M41 it might be one gigantic letdown for most.

Who knows, I welcome more T49's to the battlefield´as long as they let me shoot them and not vice versa :)

Just about 55 games played and I'm rocking a ~70% win rate on it.

I'm finding that since I don't have to flank to do damage, there are many more opportunities available than in other light tanks. Finishing off low hp tanks is much easier. The ability to rock someone's world with a 1k hp hit is also pretty amazing, not to mention all the modules it smashes with just about any hit.

I'm finding that my biggest mistakes revolve around committing to close range combat. The key to this tank is to derp people who are distracted or reloading, and to swoop in on lone tanks and get a fat HE pen.

The HEAT is an interesting round, but not particularly effective. I use 5 rounds of it, but I might cut that back to 4. While it is very situational, it is also very useful in those situations. Knowing when to load it is a matter of accurate prediction of the course of local engagements.

I love me some T49!

I'd just like to say I totally called it with the T49, whenever you give a light tank proper hit and run capability with camo, you have a monster tank (ELC, AMX 90, etc)

I'd just like to say I totally called it with the T49, whenever you give a light tank proper hit and run capability with camo, you have a monster tank (ELC, AMX 90, etc)

If it didn't have some of the worst gun handling in the game, I'd agree with you.  It doesn't have the ability to 1v1 any other light tank reliably, it's still eaten up by tier 10 mediums, and the pen values for all of its ammo are garbage.  It's a one trick pony (blapping things with low pen 900 alpha HE) that requires you to do some crazy gymnastics to make that one pony work in as many situations as possible.  The crazy gymnastics part (and the payoff when you do it right) are what make it so much damn fun to play.  It's another lottery cannon... just put on a tank that's actually fun to drive instead of a plodding monstrosity.

Take the 152mm KV2 derp gun, give it 10 less penetration but with 10% faster aim time and 15% faster shell speed, with the turret dispersion of a FV183 (a.k.a. horrifically bad) and mount it on a light tank... that sees tier 9s and 10s.  Almost all the downsides of the lottery cannon without the payoff of a one-shot against anything other than a poor tier 7 light tank that happened to MM into your game.

In other news, I *really* need to learn when to walk away when I'm playing like crap.  Ye gods.

I am currently grinding up the line to get this.  This tank looks hilariously fun.  I know it won't be great, but I know I will have a good time in it.  I have seen the 49 do great things in battles, I have seen it derp around a corner and die.  I had the pleasure of meeting one in my 183 the other day.  I took ~100HP, he did not survive my shot.

Playing this feels like artillery. You're at the complete mercy of RNG all the way from what the MM decides to put against you (mauses or waffentragers) to the moment you fire and hope the shell hits the same quadrant as the enemy. In vast majority of situations this tank is a massive piece of shit, but sometimes you can do that 900dmg to a waffentrager or french tank and hope that it happens again in the next 10 games.

Would not recommend under any circumstances for anyone looking for effectiveness. The RU is the good tank of the bunch. T49 is something to play when you're bored or want to dick around with no regards to stats.

So far, I find the best scenario for this tank is open map & both sides camping. Use view range and camo to spot and aim while staying hidden, reverse in cover after shooting. Gun depression is good even backwards (is it full -10?) so you can turn your hull in advance, ready to flee. Camping enemies let you reload and relocate without problems.

When fully aimed, derp can hit quite consistently at 300-400m ranges, maybe with 3/4 hit ratio? Of course the problem is how to get that full aim... target is preferably stationary/slow (and big) or going in straight line. But I don't think RNG is even near arty levels of frustration. Besides, this thing has the mobility to get where needed.

I agree that Ru will give more consistent output, but T49 can be very effective as well, as long as the rest of your team is staying alive and keeping enemy busy. And damn it's just fun.

It has decent mobility, but it can be a curse as well.

Most of the time when I go completely tomato it is because I think I can win a potential first scout on scout brawl, and that's usually not what happens...

Take Mines as an example, I crest the hill as the first vehicle, plop the first enemy tank for anything between nothing and 900, spot 4-5 approaching lights/mediums and then spend 20 seconds trying feebly to survive, 5 seconds of which are spent hoping that the enemy BatChat didnt make up, and then realising that he did, and then spending 15 seconds trying to get off the damn hill again.

I get much better results anticipating the enemy initial rush, and go for an ambush position with a preplanned escape route, and then wait for opportunities as they arise. It is an excellent anti scout tank, but it requires that you do not get stuck on the first line (Goes for most tanks I know, but every tanker worth their salt, will end you before your reload is up).

The tank can hit most things it needs to, because it can hide while it aims. I dont feel specifically hindered by the accuracy and pre-aiming the turret while driving reduces the aimcircle enough to make drive bys fairly viable. I find that I lose most encounters unless I shoot and scoot. There are very few viable scenarios where I can survive for 20 seconds while circling a tank. It bleeds speed fast when turning.

One thing I noticed, is that the T49 has a very bouncy suspension, and as a result I get some mad air at times when just relocating due to small bumps etc. Anyone else noticed that?

It has decent mobility, but it can be a curse as well.

Most of the time when I go completely tomato it is because I think I can win a potential first scout on scout brawl, and that's usually not what happens...

One thing I noticed, is that the T49 has a very bouncy suspension, and as a result I get some mad air at times when just relocating due to small bumps etc. Anyone else noticed that?

Looks very T71 to me, the thing flys like a bird.

Time to start learning how to light. Always a pleasure to discover new stuff to do in this game <3

I find this thing a joy to drive. Smacking a maus for 430 frontally was a suprise. Every match I am getting the giggles doing derp drive bys.

Even if I'm playing badly in it. I still want to play it more. No other tank can do that for me right now.

The 90mm is absolutely freaking terrible.  Honestly, if you want rapid fire just play the M41, or if you have the option of a different nationality, the RU-251 has a MUCH better AP round and also has the same 100ish pen HE.

Second that, this thing with 90mm HE spam in one game it did 5.4k dmg. He can keep up with my cent 7 reload, despite I killed a T54 who coming with him, the T49 simply spam HE to me and killed me after I missed my last shot on him and he finished me off with 1xx hp left.