Deathpig_Jones

T49 -- Land Arty in a Bite-Size Package

This little tank just gets better every match you play in it.

The RU251 is a much better scout, but the T49 is plain fun, and while it cant flex as much as the RU251 it is a much better ambusher and controller. The ability to track most tanks at a glance can turn the tide of a battle fast.

Most important lesson: Always have an escape route planned.

Win8 values for the new lights are off the chart. Had a good session yesterday, but there is no way I am a 3.7k Win8 player. :)

This tank is almost too fun to play.
Started using quite a lot of HEAT these last matches, as I can get pretty reliable pens against somewhat soft tanks.

This tank is amazing because it has something very few tanks in this game have...ammo choices that reward good decisions and skill! And its better than the British AP/APCR/HESH choices because HE always does damage (as jacg noted on the first page).

However knowing what to load has been a major challenge for me - about 30 games into my T49 journey I got an Ace tanker game...and I was unhappy. Unhappy enough to send jacg the replay and say "how am I fucking up, I feel like I could have done so much more". I then got a mini lesson on T49 shot placement and ammo selection that I am going to try to expand and archive here in this most excellent post on the funnest tank in WoT.

There will likely be several revisions of this post, and I will try to incorporate comments from other derpenthusiasts.

My loadout is 15 HE and 7 HEAT, with no gold HE. I would consider switching 1 HEAT shell for gold HE as a cyanide pill ala Deathpig. I have no idea about the applications of a higher splash, although I can promise to collect experimental data. Despite the long reload, the tank has limited ammo counts and I have run out of both types and had as few as 3 total rounds left. If you shoot every reload you run out of ammo in 7.3 minutes! But now on to the meat of this poast...

Basic penetration guidelines

When in doubt about your next shot, you probably want HE loaded. HE "always" does damage and you can't go wrong with this round. HEAT exists to buff you damage output at times when you're going to get side and rear shots, but on tanks which will not get you HE pens. HE pens is 76 which means a floor value of 57 and a ceiling of 95mm. Only the thinnest of the thin (and not covered by tracks) is going to be penned by a round with this value. However, because its HE, it will at least do something!

Exceptions exist, particularly in BT9 when you're seeing a bunch of 7/8/9 tanks for which 152mm pen on the HEAT round is viable. For example, if I see French, Tigers, Brits and any number of mediums my HEAT chode grows and I get excited. In these cases I might be more likely to switch to a HEAT round despite not being 100% sure of the next shot I plan to take

However, the first shot of the round is almost always HE for me. I never know for sure what I am going to see, it might be frontal, it might be sides, it could be a LT charging, a HT at 300m, and so HE for the first round of the match, virtually without exception.

With all that out of the way, the conventions are fairly straight-forward, depending on that surface you expect to be shooting.

Lightly armored = HE

Armored between 80 and 130mm and flat = HEAT

Over 140mm or sloped = HE

The logic here is...you want to play the lottery on the potential of hitting a 910 HE pen when you have a chance. In the middle range of armor (the sides are rears of boxy stuff, and front of some softies) you are gambling on a binary HEAT pen. As the armor goes above the reasonable pen for 152mm then you swap back to HE, because hey, it always does damage! A non pen from a HE round can still roll into the 500s. 

Anecdote: I 2 shot a Cent1 frontally using HEAT. Hilarious. He was SO MAD.

Basic aiming guidelines

Avoid the spaced armor! I really messes with your dmg output. Often times, particularly in the case of tracks its unavoidable, so you basically just want to try to aim around those areas, but accept that you might only get a 300-400 roll when you hit tracks. At least its easy to track them :-D

However, making a habit of aiming at side armor above tracks is really the biggest aiming tip for the T49. In case of the T34, which is common food for the T49, there is a small strip above the tracks which can be HE penned. You can HE pen direct on that spot. If the shot goes a little high, you may pen or splash the engine deck. At the very worst (provided you hit LOLOLOLOL) you get 300-400 dmg and track them. 

Anecdote: jacg told me about this spot. Within 3-4 games I penned a T34 from about 300m somewhere in there for a 1k hit and 400+ fire. It prob would have been a complete burn, but someone else stole the killing blow. Conveniently the spot described here particularly on the rear half of the tank is the most common spot for fuel tanks, which have the lowest module hp of the 2 fire starting modules (engine being the other).

FLAT FLAT FLAT - the pen values on the T49 gun are marginal, even for the surfaces they can full pen. If you are using HEAT, you can rarely afford to give up even a few degrees of armor to a slope. E75 sides are a great pen with HEAT (above tracks of course) for 700 dmg. Who else in your battle can do 700 dmg to an E75? TDs have to deal frontally for the most part, arty has to even hit and be loaded. But if you wait until you're flat flat flat, you can be the David who smacks the German Goliath for big digits!

Its also useful for clean-up dmg. Penning a JpE for 700 with the HEAT round on the rear hatch is just awesome. But you cannot have more than a few degrees of angle to make that spot work. Pick flat shots IF you want to pen, with either HE or HEAT

Hull roofs (thanks jacg) - because almost all tanks have very thin hull roofs 20-40mm, you can proc good HE damage against them by aiming base of the turret against a very heavily armored target. Remeber your HE seeks the thinnest surface within its blast cone to figure out its damage calculation! So when you see your shell hitting an E-75 in the turret face, but getting a 400 roll, that is a hull roof damaging shot!

Detailed penetration zones for HE

Detailed penetrations for HEAT

Triple Over-Match options HEAT and HE do not overmatch. User error.

I feel embarrassed to admit I never considered triple overmatch shenanigans with the HEAT round before.  I've been experimenting with gold HE to see if there are ways to 1) get splashes on the undersides or tops of tanks on ground/turret hits, and 2) see if the pen difference actually matters-- though this is kind of hard to tell without a lot of mixing and matching over a long period.

Honestly, I haven't been playing the T49 as much recently because missions (though I bust it out for the 'track enemies' ones).  It's still my defaullt 'I'm having a bad day what do I want to play?' tank, though.  :)

It's been months, and it's still brings a smile to my face every time.

On the first day I owned the T49, I was a'rapin' some LTs in the middle of Hidden Village with the incomparably funny Expendable_Lad as my RU251 wingman. When all the LTs were blapped and gone, the village fell. But this one WZ-111 was sitting still, spotted about 300m away. Sides behind some fences that would eat my HEAT rounded (loaded for a PTA who I hoped to smack). So I said...fuck it, his rooftop is 30mm. And so I landed a 750 roll onto an idiot and promptly fled, dying in a hail of fire from the village. But I had done 3k in my moments alive and that WZ-111 was calling me a 'gold noob' because I needed to use HEAT in a LT (cost 770 credits!)

ALL THE LULZ!

I look forward to "detailed penetration zones."  My knowledge of exact armor thicknesses is not very good for most tanks.  I usually just have a general feel of what can and can't pen.

I played with HEAT a bit (after seeing it mentioned positively here) but didn't like it too much due to the binary nature.  It's too easy to have the shot drift into tracks/spaced armor/non-weak points.  I look forward to learning about the ideal times to use it though!

Side note: viability of firing at the ground under tanks?  I've done it a bit when I've only had frontal shots on heavily armored tanks - I recall it doing 300-400 damage when a hit to the armor would do much less.

Side note: viability of firing at the ground under tanks?  I've done it a bit when I've only had frontal shots on heavily armored tanks - I recall it doing 300-400 damage when a hit to the armor would do much less.

I have to use real-world ground clearance measurements as the game ones aren't easily available, but here's the math. T-54 floor is a uniform 20mm and 0.425 meters from the ground.

0.5 * 910 * (1 - 0.425/3.66) - 1.1 * 20 = ~380 average damage standard HE

0.5 * 910 * (1 - 0.425/5.11) - 1.1 * 20 = ~395 average damage premium HE

To compare, hitting the glacis plate would yield ~323. You lose about 9-12% (depending on shell) to the distance between the ground and the floor plus the thickness of the floor, or 24% to the thickness of the glacis on direct impact.

But really, all you need to do is believe, and none of that matters.

0lhH4pR.gif

But really, all you need to do is believe, and none of that matters.

0lhH4pR.gif

I fucking lost it.

YaU9Hrf.gif

Edit to add something constructive:

When faced with thick armor, I usually shoot for the base of the turret. Tanks in this game have almost universally thin armor on top of the hull, so shooting at the base of the turret has chances to not only crit a ton of modules, but roll for plenty of damage as well. 

Edited by jacg123

Just had a nice T49 game on Mali:

KDklgvj.jpg

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1596628#malinovka-jacg123-t49

Getting High Cal in a LT is so much fun!

e:

Speaking of rounds, I penned 5 HEAT that match.

Edited by jacg123

I was just about to ask for a replay when I saw it linked at the bottom, thanks!

I, like Crab, struggle with learning when to swap rounds in the T49, so it'll be nice seeing how you manage it.

Allow me to demonstrate the proper application of T49 HE to assholes:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1596754#el_halluf-jacg123-t49

(El Halleuf 4k damage, forgot to Screencap)

These games were back to back. Too much fun  :smallsmile:

Allow me to demonstrate the proper application of T49 HE to assholes:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1596754#el_halluf-jacg123-t49

(El Halleuf 4k damage, forgot to Screencap)

Discussion of this game led me to realize the T49 has its own theme song, penned by Slick Rick more than 15 years ago. This is NSFW. In fact I don't suggest you listen to this except in headphones, unless you are completely sure about the dispositions of any incidental listeners. 

But the lyrics of this song are basically about tanking in the T49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txXzlP5TZ8c

Ain't no way to put it subtle!

Crab convinced me. My first crew of female tankers will be inhabiting the T49. 

Soon™.

Crab convinced me. My first crew of female tankers will be inhabiting the T49. 

Soon™.

I guess that means you have to buy them strap-ons!

gsJpnUt.jpg?1

Edited because you couldn't see what I was shooting.

Edited by jacg123

Any thoughts on how the new accuracy changes are going to impact the T49?

eyeballing the distributions it doesn't appear to be a major change to accuracy. Less shots will hit direct center but the grouping is still reasonably tight just more uniform in the middle quarter.

with a hundred fifty two millimeter derp you are either taking camo shots from the distance that are RNG or you are 25 meters as stated above. although the accuracy change will hurt the gun the offset will be less pixel snipes as you aim down or snapshots as you flee

I def wasted 70 odd games playing this thing entirely wrong.

I begin to understand now. Here is my run up to getting my 2nd MoE tonight. Moved 4% during these games from 82% to 86%, as bad ones were pushed off the back end and good ones replaced it. Obviously a lack of arty helped, as I could camp and aim down longer, but I feel like arty isn't the worst thing in a T49, so it wasn't the biggest factor. While I was of course lucky, nothing here was incredibly lucky in terms of bullshit either for or against.

It also serves as a primer to anyone struggling with the T49 or new, about how to leverage the various strengths of the derpwagon. The 4th game is my highest T49 dmg and best XP so far 8 shots, 8 hits or pens. What other LT can do 5500 dmg (and it should have been 6k the shot on the T71 was muffed) in a 5 min game!

Camo Derp http://wotreplays.eu/site/1604776#murovanka-crabeatoff-t49

Snipe Derp http://wotreplays.eu/site/1604778#fisherman_s_bay-crabeatoff-t49

No Pen No Problem Derp http://wotreplays.eu/site/1604781#airfield-crabeatoff-t49

Buttsecks Derp http://wotreplays.eu/site/1604782#steppes-crabeatoff-t49