Deathpig_Jones

T49 -- Land Arty in a Bite-Size Package

5500? That's some fine derpin'!

Like I was telling Crab the other day, the biggest value for this tank comes from dropping JPZ-100 sized damage rolls on people's asses. You are a tier 8 LT, the average pubbie probably only does about 1/2 of his HP in damage per game in such a tank. For you to have a positive impact, you don't need to do much. If you start dropping 1k hits, you are suddenly swinging the match by as many HPs as your tank has -- all at once! Statistically, that'll have a huge impact on your winning ability since MM will line you up against another set of LT's.

Not to mention the fun value.

I played this a bit, but just could not pull the winrate up in it.  I was just always falling short of actually being able to carry a team in it. I ended up selling it.  Thanks for the replays, awesome to watch you work!  Perhaps I will buy it back. =D

Something is wrong with the first two links.  They both take me to Snipe Derp.  I found the Camo derp file from murovanka, but I not from clicking the link. =/

5500? That's some fine derpin'!

Like I was telling Crab the other day, the biggest value for this tank comes from dropping JPZ-100 sized damage rolls on people's asses. You are a tier 8 LT, the average pubbie probably only does about 1/2 of his HP in damage per game in such a tank. For you to have a positive impact, you don't need to do much. If you start dropping 1k hits, you are suddenly swinging the match by as many HPs as your tank has -- all at once! Statistically, that'll have a huge impact on your winning ability since MM will line you up against another set of LT's.

Not to mention the fun value.

Two that jacg and I discussed that have stuck in my mind as I play and play well:

• T49 takes LT slow play to the extreme
  • I go for pens, pens are too good and I will pass up lower HP tanks to get a fat pen, because few other tanks can do as much dmg as quickly

WG has blessed the tank with camo, speed and depression to get early/late/sneaky/unconventional pens, so pens you must seek. 1 good HE pen pays down most of your HP. 2 HEAT pens exceeds it. And you have the ability to delete or cripple your peers from ambush mode. 

For example in the Murovanka game, I sit on a M48 for a long time, passing up a medium chance of hitting, low chance of penning shot until he sits still long enough for me to snipe the cupola. 1,008 dmg pen. Pubbies get wood for a low HP medium and the flank falters. That 1 shot was more than half my damage for the game, because targets were hard and frontal and I was too low HP to take a fun risk at the end to clean up the IS-7 or T54E1. 

On the Fish Bay game the hit on the PTA early is solid. Too far to be a likely pen, but hitting a medium for close to 500 is solid given the MM weight of the tier 8 LT. Then I basically deleted an STA with a full ass pen + fire. Someone else finished him but he would have burned for well more than my HP. Then, as the city flank falls, I am able to help turn the tide by dropping a 775 HEAT pen into the side of the WZ-120. That HURTS a pushing team, taking what was essentially a good HP medium with decent armor down to an easy 1 shot. And again, the Panther 8.8 for 600+. 

LEARN TO PEN IN YOUR T49. Don't settle for spamming HE for 250-450 a shot every 20s. That's the filler between the game turning monster pens. And do this by slowplaying, because a healthy LT with high alpha at the mid/endgame is truly fun and effective. 

I played this a bit, but just could not pull the winrate up in it.  I was just always falling short of actually being able to carry a team in it. I ended up selling it.  Thanks for the replays, awesome to watch you work!  Perhaps I will buy it back. =D

Something is wrong with the first two links.  They both take me to Snipe Derp.  I found the Camo derp file from murovanka, but I not from clicking the link. =/

I couldn't get it working either, I can solo most anything at 62% or so, and was feeling ineffective. Summary of my thoughts is above in how to leverage the T49 to max effectiveness. As usual, I just steal jacg's ideas and share them with the forum reading public. 

And I noticed the links just a few mins ago and repair it. But ty for the heads up!

So question...

Optics, Rammer, Vert Stab?  Or don't even bother with the Vert Stab because of huge aim time to start?

I run vstab, GLD and vents. dualmaster and scrublet run the same. jacg likes rammer instead of vents. I will ask nipp what he runs the next time I platoon with him. Most everyone is running BiA + cola + view range skills so there isn't a real need for optics, or one that is greater than the need for vents/rammer. Garbad runs optics on his T49. I could even see an argument for running binocs on this tank, because it does spend a lot of time setting up ambushes in...bushes. The aim time is effectively about 9 seconds with max crew skills and GLD and Vstab. Longer if you're swinging around the turret and track or coming to a quick stop. 

I actually run rammer+GLD+Vstab these days.  Only reason I see to run vents is to try and improve total aim time but that can be managed by just timing your aiming with your reload.  I found being able to shoot 2 seconds sooner is more valuable.

Can't think of a time in the ~160 games I've played this tank where I was really wishing I had a little more view range.

I actually run rammer+GLD+Vstab these days.  Only reason I see to run vents is to try and improve total aim time but that can be managed by just timing your aiming with your reload.  I found being able to shoot 2 seconds sooner is more valuable.

Can't think of a time in the ~160 games I've played this tank where I was really wishing I had a little more view range.

I cant either, but still worth testing out. Theres been a few situations where more VR would have been nice. With a fully skilled crew, not so much an issue but my crew right now is pretty ghetto

Now that I chase the pens and lulz, I seem to ace this tank about every 15 games or so. Here are two. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/1609168#south_coast-crabeatoff-t49

Go 0 line, snipe like a baws. Then flex around and deck a STB. I totally cocked up the end though, could have been an easy 4k 5k game with another shot on the STB and arty clean-up!

http://wotreplays.com/site/1608915#swamp-crabeatoff-t49

Hang around middle and use depression and camo to get off shots like nothing else can. The turret pen on the E-50 is both lucky AND devastating. Then a little flexing to clear the 0 line. Once things are open, the fun begins. Note the switch to HEAT for the Lowe's side. Also running rammer, which makes that work better. Vents is nice, but rammer has its place when you get the feel for the tank down. jacg informed me that the sides of a T28 are 50mm. You will note that they are flat and boxy and penning them for 800+ AIN'T NO THANG.

So how much would experience playing other tanks with extremely low pen guns, such as the 59-16, help with playing the T49?

jacg indicated that 500 games in the Type 62 with 132 pen (as a tier 6) and a couple hundred in the derp VK2801 were very helpful in informing his T49 play. I find that any LT experience which teaches you to flank, pen with low pen guns, and RUN AWAY is super helpful. While its nice to be able to do damage from the front, whittling things away with 200-400 frontal splash every 20s isn't as effective as dropping the bombs of 600-1000 damage. 

When I start up WoT the 49 is the only tank I want to run.. seriously.

Hands down my favorite tank in the game thus far. I learned most of my flanking.. rushing maneuvers from running my 12t/T37.. and the mean ol' M41.

Just the other night I crippled a flank giving a nice nasty heat pen to the ass of a VKB.. oh it was absolute joy popping him for +700, and seeing him panic.

I'v started to stop spamming HE, and focus more on using HEAT, and it seems to pay off. I only ever load HE for other scouts... oh.. and I only load the premium HE just for them :D

When I start up WoT the 49 is the only tank I want to run.. seriously.

Hands down my favorite tank in the game thus far. I learned most of my flanking.. rushing maneuvers from running my 12t/T37.. and the mean ol' M41.

Just the other night I crippled a flank giving a nice nasty heat pen to the ass of a VKB.. oh it was absolute joy popping him for +700, and seeing him panic.

I'v started to stop spamming HE, and focus more on using HEAT, and it seems to pay off. I only ever load HE for other scouts... oh.. and I only load the premium HE just for them :D

But you can get bigger pens on plates below 80mm or so of armor with HE....

Hitting a AMX 50B for 750 is fun. Hitting him for 1004 is even more fun.