Deathpig_Jones

T49 -- Land Arty in a Bite-Size Package

3 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

I fail to see what's so fun in this tank. I mean I get the joy of full pen with HE but that happens so far and between that it's not worth it IMO.

I enjoy Chinese LTs more.

2 hours ago, Rexxie said:

HE pens are not that rare, but it's not like HE is your only choice - some people get a lot of work done with the HEAT rounds, and I think it's fairly easy to get at least one pen every other game. There's more to the T49 circlejerk than that though - the fact I can just take my hands off the wheel and leave it to rngesus is relaxing. While this isn't specific to the T49, I also think it's nice that I don't have to go into battle with any expectations for myself and, thanks to weighting, MM doesn't expect anything of me either.

On the other hand, chinese lts and the T-54ltwt were like the epitome of boredom for me. Sure, they perform better, but why not just play one of the faster meds? It's not that different, and it's not like you'd ever bring a light out of the garage if you really cared about your performance anyway.

Agreed on the China LTs and 54LW they are just worse than their counterpart mediums with nothing fun to leverage like an autoloader or THE CHODE. Also I feel like I average an HE pen per game which makes it so lulzy. It took a lot of tries to really refine the T49 play style though and I expect most people are doing it wrong. It's main purpose is to hunt those pens or harass from where other LTs can't deal damage.

It doesn't play like any other tank in the game. You aren't trying to "scout" per se, but you do sit in bushes and use view range to give it time to work. You never close distance unless you're sure you can 1 shot or drive away safe. And you can literally do your HP in 1 pen, its like arty that is actually fun because of the skill ceiling has been raised ( plus risk/reward ). 

Because I want to talk more about the T49:

Something I do in the T49 that I would not do in any other LT: I regularly rush the 0 line on Redshire and set up to take the first shot. From the South I use the far inside of the big hill to light tanks going into the river. This protects me from their TD/sniper hill and gives me ample cover to run away. It also lets me give my team a count of tanks going to the 0 line brawl. Its not traditional scouting, but just because traditional scouting (counts, long fire lanes, feeding your team shots, bush kemp) is dead doesn't mean that your pubs and platoonmates don't need any intel. After taking a shot I can drop down and drop lights and have lots of options - stay and wait for my heavies, peek again and derp someone else, run away, etc. From North the opener is a little less strong because you can't get a count as safely or easily (and be set up for a shot) BUT when you do "vision pin", the place you trap them is more advantageous for your team, easier to clear, and harder for enemy to stall. In the case of the peek from North to South, I position my tank facing downward on the slope, letting the gravity help accelerate me out of the line of fire after I drop my load. From north, its better to have front first, so you don't overexpose your soft engine parts. 

If in either case you manage to prevent the enemy team from reaching the middle rocks with your intimidating 152mm of highly explosive man meat (works about 80% of the time), then you can drop lights and dunk something in middle. You basically have become an arty piece that was able to relocate 90 degrees away from the middle hills fight, which means putting shells into the cuts in the middle hill is pretty easy. You also get shots behind the rocks that people use on the ridge top.

And of course you're positioned nearby to harass enemy HTs - since the T49 does 200-400 every shot to virtually every tank in the game and you're in close so its easy to time reloads. Plus if your team does gain advantage you can usually drive right behind and dunk someone for 750 HEAT or 910 HE, which prevents that last tank or two from stalling your force. 1100 hp T110E5 bunkered behind that low rock on in the North? No problem, shove your HE pen into his 30mm of soft rear armor, and drive away merrily. JT camping the J/K ridge in South? No problem, drive into the buildings and send him 750 HEATLOVE in the side.  Clearing final tanks works better from South to North than vice versa, because generally the low area in North is better protected in the riverbed than the corresponding area in South. You can use the buildings, but TDs and arty in the K line bushes and the various angles from middle through the buildings make it tricky.

If 0 becomes a stand-off, the T49 has the speed and camo to get into a middle fight in relevant time. It can also harass as it runs using hills and bushes to set-up shots (which nearly always track!). But generally, pinning the 0 line brawl to your HTs advantage works wonders for winning on this map - and isn't something I've found to be successful in any other LT. 

Do you have a T49? Do you play during daytime eastern? Do you want to learn how to play the T49 better? Drop me a note on my profile here and we'll try to hook up for some lessons on the silliest funnest tank in the game. I am especially interested in teaching unicums who are burnt out on tryhard tanks (so they don't quit the game further drying up the talent pool) but happy to teach anyone a trick or two. 

I think my most memorable moment with T49 was on Serene coast. I spawned north, went B3 and spotted an IS-3 going downhill to the center of the map. I shot without fully aiming hoping to track him for my team but penned his roof for 1k+.

Not like it was particularly impressive but I was playing laughing from under the table for the rest of the match.

Btw, @CraBeatOff, do you really manage 63% solo in this thing or is it mostly platoons' work? I had like 1300 dpg but only 55%. Still had fun, tho. 

8 minutes ago, Shoop_da_whoop said:

I think my most memorable moment with T49 was on Serene coast. I spawned north, went B3 and spotted an IS-3 going downhill to the center of the map. I shot without fully aiming hoping to track him for my team but penned his roof for 1k+.

Not like it was particularly impressive but I was playing laughing from under the table for the rest of the match.

Btw, @CraBeatOff, do you really manage 63% solo in this thing or is it mostly platoons' work? I had like 1300 dpg but only 55%. Still had fun, tho. 

I run about 60% flat solo, its been climbing because I've been platooning it. 

7 minutes ago, avandelay said:

I noticed a trend of people rolling their T49 with the 90mm gun. Is this a new thing, like Yolo valley in Lakeville?

It's nothing like Lakeville valley because it is actually "better" from a DPG standpoint. It's also retarded and ruins the point of playing the tank.

7 minutes ago, dualmaster333 said:

It's nothing like Lakeville valley because it is actually "better" from a DPG standpoint. It's also retarded and ruins the point of playing the tank.

Yeah, if you want to play a T49 with the 90mm, you're better off running the RU251 or WZ-132/85.

3 hours ago, sr360 said:

Yeah, if you want to play a T49 with the 90mm, you're better off running the RU251 or WZ-132/85.

No you should run the t49 with the 90 so i can stop raging because its about as cancerous as arty/Japanese heavies are with that stupid derp ability.

11 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Do you have a T49? Do you play during daytime eastern? Do you want to learn how to play the T49 better? Drop me a note on my profile here and we'll try to hook up for some lessons on the silliest funnest tank in the game. I am especially interested in teaching unicums who are burnt out on tryhard tanks (so they don't quit the game further drying up the talent pool) but happy to teach anyone a trick or two. 

Post some replays? I always wanted to play with you but never got the chance to, crazy to think we also lived like 30 minutes from each other. I moved, so I typi only get to play very late for the Eastern time zone, but I'd LOVE to watch you play it on different maps. 

6 hours ago, avandelay said:

I noticed a trend of people rolling their T49 with the 90mm gun. Is this a new thing, like Yolo valley in Lakeville?

Confession, I used the 90mm to 3 mark it originally. I have since dipped above 95% numerous times using the 152mm.

6 hours ago, dualmaster333 said:

Better from a DPG standpoint, unfun, dumb, boring, derivative, adjective, adjective, adjective

3 hours ago, Gandaran said:

No you should run the t49 with the 90 so i can stop raging because its about as cancerous as arty/Japanese heavies are with that stupid derp ability.

The T49 has no hp to trade like the Jap heavies, and actually is subject to retaliation unlike arty. Get outta here slanderer. Accept the HE love.

1 hour ago, Treeburst said:

Post some replays? I always wanted to play with you but never got the chance to, crazy to think we also lived like 30 minutes from each other. I moved, so I typi only get to play very late for the Eastern time zone, but I'd LOVE to watch you play it on different maps. 

Your wish is my command. And yes, I've been bad about meeting up with my local WoT peeps. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2533560#malinovka-crabeatoff-t49

Here is a match from today. I am confident in Kam and co's ability to win the hill, so I go to a risky spot for a LT. The T49 has good camo though, and is JUST short enough to kinda use that terrain down there. I am not running optics at this time, but do have BiA/Vents/Food which yields enough view range to use this spot. I don't really end up spotting that much assisted damage, but thats partially because stuff gets spotted as soon as it leaves the rock and then drops back. You'll see I got first spots on 6 tanks from that low ridge. In a game with tier X meds or lots of tier IX meds, I probably wouldn't have used this position, or would have fired a lot less often. Camo lets me set up my shots (as does the corpse of the AMX).

This replay is also a good example of how to use HEAT. Stupid wehraboo Tiger sets up against a rock, and I slaughter him with 2 HEAT pens. I shoot HE the first time because I have it loaded. If I had been running my own account with the 5 skills crew (and the loader ammo swap perk) I'd prob have reloaded for the first shot. In either case I vision pin them, completely wreck the Tiger, dunk the 1390 with a pen when he tries to yolo me, and then put one into the Black Prince's pooper because thats what the T49 is all about, the ass pens. Generally I wouldn't do this much scouting, but I trusted the platoon and surge to do the brawling. The T49 is versatile, which is why its great. Black Prince shot shows why you need to take your time to aim, same with the Tiger. Snap shots are to be avoided, use camo, vision, speed and surprise to make the T49's shots count. There is no good snap shot.

While writing this I said to myself "I wonder if I could have penned a shot on the Type 4". Turns out the sides are 140 flat. I'll need to make sure to load HEAT for Type 4 and O-Ho (105) and O-Ni (70) in the future and go for flat side shots. E-100s are not pennable on flat ground because of the skirts, but it looks like the Japanese are. I'll have to try that out soon.

Watch at the end to see my own arty try to end me. Shoutout to @Masta_kam and @CarryMode for this match. <3 <3

http://wotreplays.com/site/2533562#sand_river-crabeatoff-t49

In this match, I am demonstrating how its all about setting up the shot in the T49. Even when you can't camo or view range, ambush shots work because of the high alpha of the gun. And unlike shitter subhuman TDs, you get fun tools like a turret, and depression to set up the shots. I take a slightly more aggressive position that I would solo because I know @GymLeader_Surge will sit high in his Skoda 50 and make anyone think twice about yoloing me. See what happens to the M103 when he does try to yolo me. 

The new crack in the rock lets me set up to the side of the brawl and be an opportunist. Unlike other LTs though, I don't have to expose for long periods of time, I can just sit and wait on the shots. I kept hoping the T29 would back out, but he was smart. The Cent however, was not, and gave me ass for days, which I immediately sunk my 152mm hot explosive ammo into. The multicrits on that kind of thing are just brutal, and he was still there when  I reloaded for an easy auto-aim snap. At some point a T71 tries to barrel in. Not how I just pick any flat piece of armor and end him. T71s and M41s are fodder for the T49 (and other T49s). 

Eventually things do get hairy, the M103 get repulsed, but I know we have the middle run. The T54E1 was irritating me with his very presence so I derp him for good measure. Then I see the yolo fucker M103 is tucked in but in a spot I can easily flank. I give him the ole chode in the soft butt and taunt a little. You can't spell classy without ass. 

Lessons here: with the T49 you're an opportunist, but you have tools to make good shots happen. A few posts back @no_name_cro said something about pens being few and far between, but honestly I average well over 1 full pen each game. There is lots of soft armor in the game, it just take a little problem solving to set up those shots. Sure the M103 wasn't a major threat, and that shot was nothing game winning or special, but sometimes quickly ending a hard fronted tank can really turn the tide of battle. And lots of stuff like the Rhm/Waffle series is your bitch. Go for the big pens and when those aren't an option you can always harass. Like class, you cannot spell harass without ass, and the T49 loves the ass. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2533563#mountain_pass-crabeatoff-t49

Here is one more to show you how pen is love. I don't like to brawl the south too much in the T49, the exposure windows are too punishing for the long aim-time. Plus we send good numbers there, and they hold vs a numerically superior force while our ice road pushes. Staying in middle gives me lots of options to relocate. So I try to spot across mid, hoping to catch an easy shot, or camo bomb someone on that little hill. Additionally anything that goes into the riverbed is usually fair game for the T49 because -10 degrees of depression and ENGINE DECKS. Nothing goes down though and once I get a good count of tanks (minus the wily but ultimately relocated Lorraine), I decide to get cheeky (ass cheeks of course). Its pretty clear the south is super brawled up, and so I go right in and fuck up the M103. 830 in the side, he turns his turret, and bam, top tier heavy out of the game. That single shot alone more than offsets the MM weight of the T49, which is why its so great. 

I fuck around missing an easy shot on the T71 and basically linger, but with an eye towards fleeing. I know I am in a vulnerable spot, but I have a little back-up across the riverbed. When the 50 100 finally decides my stupid ass has hung around long enough he charges, I am sure I'm done for and decide to try to make use of the hill and his awkward depression/elevation to try to get 1 more shot in before he clips me out. However my darling T25/2 friend plinks him once or twice which is enough to get him to tuck in. I poke around a little more, find his rear panel and give him the ole hot 152 while our clicker finishes him. Sorry bro, you should have yolo'd (you'd prob still have died).

I might have made it out alive with the 50 100. I might have been able to flee into the river towards our guys? Prob not, its all about reading what the pubbies will do, and making them pay (like the 1390 in the first game). With creative driving and hitting your shots, sometimes you can pull off miracles. In either case, I was able to live and then go rush the T54E1 and give him the ole ass pen. I view those closing moments full HE pens to be the T49's reward for a game well played, where proper use of vision/camo/derp harassment/punishing softies/turning turrets yields a win, and then you get to hilariously finish off the last couple tanks because you can go 72 kph and hit stuff for 910. 

holy crap this thing is fun, I never even though I would go down the American scout line but then I had to get a t37 for cw and just took it from there. t37 is a great tank, bulldog is a great tank and t49 combines my love of speed and durp :P, I hoped it would be like the vk light and it really is like a vk on steroids. Played both the full cannon and the 90mm on the test server for 20 or so battles each just to see what the grind was gunna be like. I've now got it on the live with the 90mm and its a really interesting gun, totally different to anything ive ever played before.

Crab, while I wont be getting the third mark ever I don't think, do you have any idea what the dmg required would be for 2? 1300 or so?

cant wait till I have the mininuke but that's gonna take a while   

1 hour ago, rabidmonkey679 said:

Crab, while I wont be getting the third mark ever I don't think, do you have any idea what the dmg required would be for 2? 1300 or so?

cant wait till I have the mininuke but that's gonna take a while   

1350 for 1 mark, 1900 for 2, 2500 for 3 are what vbaddict has. Holds relatively true in my experience. Recall that involves assisted damage as well, and the T49 is pretty good at spotting and really good at tracking. With optics I don't see how getting less than 600 assisted on average would be your baseline, so subtract that from the mark DPG thresholds and you've got the direct you need to do. HOWEVER, the T49 isn't about tryhard dpg whoring, its about hilarious unexpected game ruining pens on your opponents and the lulz that follow. 

40k to run on my bulldog (which I love) before I pick this thing up. If playing the tank is half as entertaining as reading this thread (most cultish thread on wotlabs?) Then the drool on my keyboard will not have been wasted. 

I remember tanking with Crab a while ago, where I was a designated "bait" on a hill.  I would poke and snapshot something directly behind and quickly scuttle back across  and they would poke into a waiting derp claw on the other side. 

And there was much rejoicing. 

CpEwE8d.gif

3 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

(most cultish thread on wotlabs?)

Pretty much. It's basically a bunch of people admitting that their cannons are really short, but claiming that the great girth still makes for incredibly enjoyable penetrations.

29 minutes ago, dualmaster333 said:

Pretty much. It's basically a bunch of people admitting that their cannons are really short, but claiming that the great girth still makes for incredibly enjoyable penetrations.

Its a circle jerk where you don't have to reach very far and everyone blows their explosive load every 18-20 seconds. (seriously where is @Rexxie I could not put in more double entendres if I tried, and if I know one thing, its that he loves a good tank circle jerk and a good dick joke)

Got to platoon with Crab and GymLeader_Surge a few days ago running 3 T49s.  Crab asked me if I was good in my T49 and I said I was OK...Nah, he proved I was shit in it.  I learned a lot just platooning with him and watching him in it.  We had a match on Cliff that was hilarious on the lighthouse hill.  Hitting that 215b for 1020hp was fun too.  Ever since, I have ditched the rammer for the GLD.  I haven't looked back since.

39 minutes ago, Reddmann said:

Got to platoon with Crab and GymLeader_Surge a few days ago running 3 T49s.  Crab asked me if I was good in my T49 and I said I was OK...Nah, he proved I was shit in it.  I learned a lot just platooning with him and watching him in it.  We had a match on Cliff that was hilarious on the lighthouse hill.  Hitting that 215b for 1020hp was fun too.  Ever since, I have ditched the rammer for the GLD.  I haven't looked back since.

Haha you were good in it, I am just perversely obsessed with dunking people with it!