FlakTrack

Looks like skill based MM might be on its way.

You mean like LoL?

I was more thinking of a system like in SC2, because i'm not found of the division system you find in LoL and the way that going up/down a league or division is managed.

If it made the best players win 50%, then unless there was an accurate ranking system (similar to Elo) keeping each player solidly where they need to be in the hierarchy, there would be no way to tell what their skill is.

If it made the best players win 50%, then unless there was an accurate ranking system (similar to Elo) keeping each player solidly where they need to be in the hierarchy, there would be no way to tell what their skill is.

Wg keep damage stats, kill stats, spotting stats and a miriad or other stats they don't release to the api. They won't base MMing on winrate. Well at least I hope not.

Wg keep damage stats, kill stats, spotting stats and a miriad or other stats they don't release to the api. They won't base MMing on winrate. Well at least I hope not.

If they balance teams by skill, then win rate will be useless (pushed towards 50% for every player), and the other stats for top-skill gameplay are already near useless.

If they matched the closest skilled players together, then both win rate AND stats would become useless, as every player would be pushed towards 50%, while they all have average stats.

There would need to be a perfect rating based on winning, publicly available and made by WG, to keep every player where they should be.

We don't want skills based MM !

We want equal skills team

No more tomato in A team and unicums in B team winning or loosing in 3min is no fun ... We want challenge !

Same for tank class no more full TD or MT team

I like the MM the way it is. Except when it pits 4 more top tier tanks on one team against enemies with 2 more middle tier tanks.

It seems to me that platoons (and relative skill of platoons) have the most impact on game outcomes - if one team has one (or more) unicum-filled platoon and the other has a barely orange platoon, unless there is a MASSIVE discrepancy in the rest of the team, the unicum platoon should represent a massive advantage, just because of communication and coordination.

So. Skill balance platoons only. The rest of the team can be as random as ever, but if one team has a 3man tier 10 purple platoon, the other should have similar. This would have much less of an impact on most player stats, which seems to be a concern, while at least partially nerfing the winrate-padding side effect of platooning.

Aiming for 50/50 matches every time is a bit silly, breaking up players into leagues is potentially divisive/demoralizing (see : LoL 'elo hell' tears), but just evenly splitting the players likely to have the most impact on the outcome of the match should reduce the extreme outlier/steamroll games.

there would be no way to tell what their skill is.

Not exactly true. WR would become useless but WG have access to ALL THE RAW DATA.

They would have stats like damage done (They might even have possible damage done if RNG taken out). Show the true accuracy  of a player.

They have spotting damage.

damage avoided by armor.

They have spots that result in no damage (this stat is important also for controlling the flow of a game, people make decisions when they have this info)

Probably other stats we aren't thinking of.

They control the data remember. So WR dies as a metric? who cares? Still other ways to calculate skill. If you have all the raw data at your disposal.

Not exactly true. WR would become useless but WG have access to ALL THE RAW DATA.

They would have stats like damage done (They might even have possible damage done if RNG taken out). Show the true accuracy  of a player.

They have spotting damage.

damage avoided by armor.

They have spots that result in no damage (this stat is important also for controlling the flow of a game, people make decisions when they have this info)

Probably other stats we aren't thinking of.

They control the data remember. So WR dies as a metric? who cares? Still other ways to calculate skill. If you have all the raw data at your disposal.

At the top end (as in the best players, whom I mentioned in the same sentence), those stats aren't close to good enough. You need either a usable win rate or an proper player rating based on recent wins and/or experience earned used to do MM.

At the top end (as in the best players, whom I mentioned in the same sentence), those stats aren't close to good enough. You need either a usable win rate or an proper player rating based on recent wins and/or experience earned used to do MM.

WR is not usable now. It is so heavily platoon padded it means nothing.

WR is not usable now. It is so heavily platoon padded it means nothing.

You can track solo win rate on vBAddict.

You can track solo win rate on vBAddict.

oh yeah for about a month.. if you using the uploader.

WG can't even get MM to create balanced teams now, without having to worry about player skill

"You don't need tier 10s just because the other team has them, tank weighting says everything's fine, hurdurhurhur"

If they create a separate league system, that they can screw up independently of random battles, fine, but I'd rather randoms stay random

So, back to the original topic.  I think the only way skill based MM really works is if they go to single tier and maybe at most 2 tier games.  What I envision happening is that they keep the 3 tier spread and you will get an even distribution of skill across those 3 tiers.  The problem will be is that you'll get the better players in the top tier tanks on one team with the better players in the bottom tier tanks on the other.  Skill will be evenly distributed and the teams will still be unbalanced.  

Hi, I just cleaned up this thread.  This is a thread about skill based MM not a fight about who's winrate is better or whether solo or platooned winrate matters.  If I have to clean it up again it will come with ROs (this last part is especially pointed at Flaktrack and errants).  Thanks.