NiemandXL

Is there a reason why I gained roughly 60 WN8?

Yesterday I had 2392 WN8 and today for some reason without playing any more games WotLabs shows me 2448 WN8. Not that I'm complaining, far from it. But is there a reason for this change? Only thing I could think of would be the changed KV-1s since it appears like the related stats are missing from my account and I played that tank when I was still a noob.

Let's hope the evil mathematical masterminds here at WotLabs don't decide to change the requirements for purple again. Last time I just made purple they changed requirements from 2350 to 2450 making me blue again^^

:)

every rating website now shows different values... on wotlabs i got 1834, noobmeter 1777, feldzug 1797...

will the wotlabs value stay, or will it change back to the original wn8 i had before?

I am honestly surprised any of you track this that carefully or even care. Here is why

First - 50 points or so is less than noise, as noise in the case of WN8 is anything 500 or under is affected by tank selection more than actual performance differences

Second - Your overall is simply a function (asymptotic) of your recent WN8, your games played, and your current rate of play. So like, there isn't anything interesting about watching an inevitable mathematical function accrue points. Its not like you look at your investment or savings accounts and say "hooray my interest has compounded!" - your APR is your APR and without any drastic changes in rate or capital its simply accumulating. 

If you spent any of the time checking web stat counters instead documenting your own bad habits or learning from super-uni replays....

If you spent any of the time checking web stat counters instead documenting your own bad habits or learning from super-uni replays....

I'm pretty sure most of us do make an effort to improve here. It's just seeing that we are making progress is what keeps us going to get better at the game.

i mean why does he insult us instead of giving a normal answer? and he is not a reroll as i first thought.

I didn't see any insults, just a reminder not to care about small variations. My comment about a 50 point change was directed to the OP, not you. I doubt all the websites have ever matched, as timing differences for extract/update already make everything mismatch anyways! The numbers you quoted are basically the same...(see below)

Can you explain what you mean by "noise is more like 500 points"? That seems like a pretty big error margin.

Measurements have error. A shitty bathroom scale will be off by 5-7 lbs. There is a huge difference between the quality of the home thermometer and the electrode they put on an infant in the NICU. And those are the EASIER to measure manifest phenomena like temperature. When you move into non-manifest stuff like "college preparedness" or "contribution to WoT games" it gets even messier. 

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observational_error

No idea what mine have been... but had to grin to see that my overall stats are now 1337 :P

edit: sigh...stats on wotlabs is that at least.. here i'm still a measly 1330 ...

I am honestly surprised any of you track this that carefully or even care. Here is why

First - 50 points or so is less than noise, as noise in the case of WN8 is anything 500 or under is affected by tank selection more than actual performance differences

Second - Your overall is simply a function (asymptotic) of your recent WN8, your games played, and your current rate of play. So like, there isn't anything interesting about watching an inevitable mathematical function accrue points. Its not like you look at your investment or savings accounts and say "hooray my interest has compounded!" - your APR is your APR and without any drastic changes in rate or capital its simply accumulating. 

It's not at all surprising that people care about how well they match up against the rest of the player base, we play this game for the competition. There isn't any other efficient or accessible way to compare yourself. It certainly doesn't help that a significant portion of the community uses WN8 heavily for decided who gets into a clan or who they platoon with. No one would give a rat's ass about it otherwise.

And I seriously doubt that the 10 seconds spent a couple times a day to check a webpage have impeded anyone's progress.