snow_leopardd

Tier Six Strongholds

LIMBO runs all Type 64s.  So I guess that's our heavy.

I honestly don't see the point of running a slow heavy with tier 6's.  Often times they can simply be ignored unless they're hard camping spawn in Himmel's or some such thing, and there's still ways to bring your superior DPM to bear in a hard camp situation.

We had a post like this a while back...
BUT, it wasn't exactly constructive and now we've actually seen what's being used...

I've seen ARL 44s, T-150s, KV-2s and by far the most... KV-85s :|

Most with the 100mm, some shitlords still with the 122 equipped.

I haven't seen ANY M6s... which surprises me... and I was impressed wit the ARL 44, it had the best effective armor of anything I've faced in T6 Stronks, it was consistently bouncing 76mm APCR (194mm of pen) with its front and turret face.

Not that it mattered... we raped them anyway.

(SHH, DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THE FULL MOBILITY SETUPS!)

Oops, I blew it.  To be fair, we have also been known to run 6 TOG's and a scout.

I believe the new IOC also knows a thing or two about that setup.

Oops, I blew it.  To be fair, we have also been known to run 6 TOG's and a scout.

I believe the new IOC also knows a thing or two about that setup.

Yes, yes we do. :3 (I'm teh scout ;3)

and I was impressed wit the ARL 44, it had the best effective armor of anything I've faced in T6 Stronks, it was consistently bouncing 76mm APCR (194mm of pen) with its front and turret face.

One note about the ARL's armor: It can be quite troll. I regularely struggle to penetrate it with 75mm guns even when firing gold. Yet at the same time I also own this tank and have to admit that the armor is so unreliable it is infuriating. One game you bounce an E8 frontally all day long and the next game the same tank just punches clean through your angled UFP armor... Checking from the impact marks they don't even aim at the machine gun port.  :tongue: 
While searching for this things armor scheme the UFP seems to be uniformly strong except for the mentioned MG port.

TL; DR Relying on ARL 44 armor is tricky to use and trolls me hard.

ARL is unreliable and few have it, T-150 is too slow to flex properly for coordinated play, KV-2 is a retarded idea, so I am still running KV-85 with the 100mm. M6 seems similar but inferior due to lack of ability to reverse angle and its ungainly long hull.

ARL is unreliable and few have it, T-150 is too slow to flex properly for coordinated play, KV-2 is a retarded idea, so I am still running KV-85 with the 100mm. M6 seems similar but inferior due to lack of ability to reverse angle and its ungainly long hull.

Not that I'm suggesting anything besides the KV-85-100, these are just the vehicles I've been encountering.

We have been having great success with full mobility setups though... 4xLights and 3xCromwells. Even on Himmelsdorf, rush for fastcap and fire squad them as they rush back down hill.

Do you think that 3xM6s&4xLights could work? Yeah, they're more vulnerable than KV-85s, but its extra HP, alpha and good depression with decent mobility. Moving in as a group with the lights spearheading, I can't imagine they'd be bad FS. Its not as though they need to be able to sidescrape anyway if all our engagements are catching them in the open, and if we HAVE to trade, 240>135, not that that's ever happened... >w>

(This is assuming their mobility is actually enough... I'm not sure how great it'd be in practice. There was a match on Abbey for instance where they had all heavies except for an E2, and we rushed 6/7 line and surrounded them. Whether M6s would have been about as effective as cromwells going 4/5 and mid to provide fire or not I don't know...)

EDIT: T37 ≈ Type 64

It has advantages and disadvantages, and the important part is how they play into the role of being a heavy in coordinated play. Heavies are there to soak up shots, slow down the enemy, and spearhead assaults. M6 is faster than the KV-85 but you only need enough mobility to flex, so it's not much of advantage. KV-85 is far superior at reverse angling, which gives it greatly increased longevity in any hard cover fight (which is most maps and engagement locations) and will take more shots that aren't going into your light tanks. It also has 10 lower alpha and the same HP as the KV-85, so the only other advantage the M6 confers is gun depression, which is rarely useful for a brawling heavy.

We had a post like this a while back...

BUT, it wasn't exactly constructive and now we've actually seen what's being used...

I've seen ARL 44s, T-150s, KV-2s and by far the most... KV-85s :|

Most with the 100mm, some shitlords still with the 122 equipped.

I haven't seen ANY M6s... which surprises me... and I was impressed wit the ARL 44, it had the best effective armor of anything I've faced in T6 Stronks, it was consistently bouncing 76mm APCR (194mm of pen) with its front and turret face.

How the hell are people failing to pen an ARL with 76mm APCR? Are they shooting from max draw distance or something? The LFP is huge and made of freshly churned French butter, and the turret is squishy as hell from every direction, with a small mantlet.

It has advantages and disadvantages, and the important part is how they play into the role of being a heavy in coordinated play. Heavies are there to soak up shots, slow down the enemy, and spearhead assaults. M6 is faster than the KV-85 but you only need enough mobility to flex, so it's not much of advantage. KV-85 is far superior at reverse angling, which gives it greatly increased longevity in any hard cover fight (which is most maps and engagement locations) and will take more shots that aren't going into your light tanks. It also has 10 lower alpha and the same HP as the KV-85, so the only other advantage the M6 confers is gun depression, which is rarely useful for a brawling heavy.

M6 has better gun handling as well. All I can see for advantages for the KV-85 are much better turning, and slightly better alpha, pen and DPM. The M6 has better aim time, gun handling, speed, depression, acceleration and hill performance, and gold pen.

Maybe I'll change my mind about the KV-85 when I run it more, but nothing I've seen has impressed me yet.

I honestly don't see the point of running a slow heavy with tier 6's.  Often times they can simply be ignored unless they're hard camping spawn in Himmel's or some such thing, and there's still ways to bring your superior DPM to bear in a hard camp situation.

Oops, I blew it.

Thank you for that banana of information. (Not that I wasn't expecting good players to use full mobility setups in 9.3 to begin with)

dralive-banana-minions-mi-villano-favori

The M6 has better aim time, gun handling, speed, depression, acceleration and hill performance, and gold pen.

Literally all of these being either 1) unimportant in a heavy tank role or 2) not enough of an advantage over the KV-85 to be worth mentioning.

All I can see for advantages for the KV-85 are much better turning, and slightly better alpha, pen and DPM.

And survivability. You underestimate how much extra life a KV-85 has to it when it's able to actually play armor games. If you aren't doing that and the advantages of the M6 mean anything to you, don't bring heavy tanks.

Literally all of these being either 1) unimportant in a heavy tank role or 2) not enough of an advantage over the KV-85 to be worth mentioning.

And survivability. You underestimate how much extra life a KV-85 has to it when it's able to actually play armor games. If you aren't doing that and the advantages of the M6 mean anything to you, don't bring heavy tanks.

I don't get that. By that definition an AMX 50 100 is useless because it can't play armor games, and yet it's considered an excellent heavy tank.

Nor do I believe things like gun handling and aim time are at all irrelevant to a heavy tank. They're the core feature of American heavies, along with turret armor on some of them.

I don't get that. By that definition an AMX 50 100 is useless because it can't play armor games, and yet it's considered an excellent heavy tank.

Nor do I believe things like gun handling and aim time are at all irrelevant to a heavy tank. They're the core feature of American heavies, along with turret armor on some of them.

... and Florb demonstrates his lack of insight into tanks once again...

KV-85 is not the AMX 50 100 in this analogy. KV-85 is the IS-3, which is always supported by AMX 50 100s, or in the case of baby stronks, light tanks.

And again, the difference between the tanks in things like gun handling and aim time are not nearly significant enough to be worth considering in the role heavy tanks play. Also note that the T32 gets far, far less play time than the IS-3 in competitive play.

KV-85 is not the AMX 50 100 in this analogy. KV-85 is the IS-3, which is always supported by AMX 50 100s, or in the case of baby stronks, light tanks.

And again, the difference between the tanks in things like gun handling and aim time are not nearly significant enough to be worth considering in the role heavy tanks play. Also note that the T32 gets far, far less play time than the IS-3 in competitive play.

My point was that you said being able to tank shots is important to a light tank, which is why I brought up the 50 100.

My point was that you said being able to tank shots is important to a light tank, which is why I brought up the 50 100.

And their point is that the AMX 50-100 is not used in the role of a heavy tank, and it shouldn't be. It's a support tank meant to bring lots of firepower, which it's very good at.