Cooperhawk

Solo VS Platoon. Better Solo?

Everywhere I go, I read how platooning can often mean a 5-10% increase in winrate.  2 months ago, I registered at vbaddict and have been uploading my dossiers.  I recently was looking over my stats there and came across a comparison of my winrate solo vs platooned ( http://www.vbaddict.net/player/cooperhawk-na-afa4d20e2ff569434b151f3ff7460cb3 ) and found I was a 57% solo and 52.7% platooned.  I haven't been platooning with baddies who would bring my WR down.  I would say those that I am platooning with are equal to or a little better at WoT than me. So if I am this much better solo, either I am doing something wrong because of being in a platoon or I am not taking full advantage of the benefits of platooning beyond removing 1 or 2 baddies from my team.

If anyone has recommendations as to what I can try to avoid doing or start doing while platooned, I would be very thankful.

For what it's worth, there are 1800+ battles in the last 2 months and I would suspect 10-20% platooning rate so I think it's a decent sample size.

The vbaddict solo vs tooned is somewhat inaccurate. It doesn't count games in which you exit before the game is over. Since in toons you are more likely to stay in game until the end as your platoonmate may still be alive, and in solo games if dead you generally exit and move on, that often results in a disparity in win rates.

The problem is, if you platoon with people with WR about ~50-54% and you have a WR about 52% it doesnt gonna help you to reach a WR of ~56+%. You have to look people with good WR and stats to help you to increase tour WR. Once I toon with players with good WN but like 54% of victories in 60 days and they was campers like hell, where the objetive was deal a lot of dmg while our team was annihilated

I know what you mean, I too have felt more competent solo than in some platoons but that is purely because the players I platooned with were no better than me, and I ended up focusing more on sticking my neck out for them in extreme situations than doing the smarter thing for the win. While I usually try to work together with my platoon mates I feel like – especially when it comes to WR% – if you want yours to really skyrocket you need to play with tankers who have much higher winrates. I experienced this when I platooned a few games with some unica who picked me up from the wotlabs in-game channel, and proceeded to go on a 6-7 game winning streak right off the bat. I can definitely say that does not happen very often (if at all) when I platoon with clanmates!

The nice thing about platooning is that if you (and they) can carry a game a decent amount of time then you can cover for the others when you potato / get jammed up in a spot with no retreat / etc.

One thing I found myself doing in platoons with players about my skill, was getting myself in to really stupid situations more often because i have a false sense of confidence having them with me. For example, north spawn on South Coast, IS-4 with plat mates in an IS-7 and a T57, I straight #YOLOSWAG right down the middle and start pushing up towards their base, end up fighting an IS-7, T54E1, T57, T110E3, and another IS-4. I take out 3, then get clipped by the T57. looking at my burning wreck, I realized I had just gone full retard because i expected my plat mates to save me from stupid. 2 of us died, the T57 ended up survivng and we won the match anyway, but I have to really think about not doing stuff like that when I'm platooned, and that's something i would never do solo. You may have a tendency to do the same.

When I platoon, I find myself getting anxious to perform better so that I'm a worthy platoonmate. I feel responsible not only for my own stats, but my platoonmates also. And because of that I'm less patiënt, make rash decisions and generally do stupid stuff. So I'm performing worse at the end of the day.

When I'm soloing, I don't feel the huge pressure to perform, beside the normal responsibility to the team. So in the end I perform better...but...after the 10th fail team of deep red morons I couldn't carry by myself, I'm fervently wishing for a platoonmate.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy....

It depends a lot on the dynamics and mood of the platoon I'm in. On a good day, everything seems to work, we multiply each other's power and flanks just wither before our fire. Even in a losing game, we can protect each other enough and punish the enemy enough to potentially turn things around. On bad days, someone dies early or is clearly in a sour mood for some other reason, and putting everyone on tilt.

When I platoon, I find myself getting anxious to perform better so that I'm a worthy platoonmate. I feel responsible not only for my own stats, but my platoonmates also. And because of that I'm less patiënt, make rash decisions and generally do stupid stuff. So I'm performing worse at the end of the day.

When I'm soloing, I don't feel the huge pressure to perform, beside the normal responsibility to the team. So in the end I perform better...but...after the 10th fail team of deep red morons I couldn't carry by myself, I'm fervently wishing for a platoonmate.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy....

True.. if you / platoonmate donk out there's more pressure on the surviving player to push the action.

Alternatively, you could just have conflicting playstyles that simply do not match.

The vbaddict solo vs tooned is somewhat inaccurate. It doesn't count games in which you exit before the game is over. Since in toons you are more likely to stay in game until the end as your platoonmate may still be alive, and in solo games if dead you generally exit and move on, that often results in a disparity in win rates.

Did Phalynx confirm this? To my knowledge as long as you run the ADU with the BRR mod all of your battles will be recorded. Leaving before the game ends doesn't stop BRR from pulling up the results once the game is finished as far as I know.

Did Phalynx confirm this? To my knowledge as long as you run the ADU with the BRR mod all of your battles will be recorded. Leaving before the game ends doesn't stop BRR from pulling up the results once the game is finished as far as I know.

Assuming the BRR mod is installed, which it isn't by default.

Assuming the BRR mod is installed, which it isn't by default.

Or pulling up the battle results page manually.  Even without BRR I tended to do that although a bit more prone to missing some.  Either way the margin of error isn't as large as it is for the scripts that look at existing replays for that info, since they can only process completed replays.

Your winRate by tier is 58% at Tier 4 and goes down to 46% at Tier 10.  So it might be that you have a tendency to play higher tiers when you are platooned.  If you are playing all Tier 10 while platooned then your 52.7% platoon winRate is more than 5% above your solo winRate at Tier 10.  

You or your platoon mate are also probably more likely to grind new, non-elite tanks when platooned so that will have an impact on your  winRate.  

Finally, it seems like MM puts me at the bottom tier more often when I platoon.

Finally, it seems like MM puts me at the bottom tier more often when I platoon.

I noticed the same thing but not sure it is a confirmation bias. But I guess at least it's for sure MM will balance platoon in both sides, so if at a time there's more platoons playing with higher tier tanks than yours, you would end up bottom mostly.

One thing I found myself doing in platoons with players about my skill, was getting myself in to really stupid situations more often because i have a false sense of confidence having them with me. For example, north spawn on South Coast, IS-4 with plat mates in an IS-7 and a T57, I straight #YOLOSWAG right down the middle and start pushing up towards their base, end up fighting an IS-7, T54E1, T57, T110E3, and another IS-4. I take out 3, then get clipped by the T57. looking at my burning wreck, I realized I had just gone full retard because i expected my plat mates to save me from stupid. 2 of us died, the T57 ended up survivng and we won the match anyway, but I have to really think about not doing stuff like that when I'm platooned, and that's something i would never do solo. You may have a tendency to do the same.

If I play too late this typically happens more and more. Good example though of what not to do.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.  After reading everyone's replies, I think it's a combination of a lot of what has been said.

It did take me a couple weeks to realize I didn't have the BRR installed and have kept it up to date ever since.  I was looking for a new clan during the first half of the 2 month time frame and often was platooning with people I didn't know very well and didn't know their play styles.  I was probably over thinking my playing as well as I was wanting to impress these clans and probably put extra pressure on myself.  I noticed another thing last night while platooning that was an "AHA!" moment.  The guy I was platooning with pretty much only wanted to run tier 8's.  I often find myself in platoons that like to run tier 8s.  I only have 2 tier 8s in the Caernarvon and the FV207.  Both are tanks I am pretty much a 50% WR player in.  And neither are what I would consider great platooning tanks let alone great tanks in general.  I have 3 lines that I am at tier 7 in that I feel I am more competent in those tanks.  Getting the tier 8 in those lines may help alleviate my tier 8 issue.

I seem to get better win rates and WN8 when solopubbing lately.

Platooning is fun and I much prefer it, but unless playing tier 10, I perceive (conf. bias?) that we get middle or bottom tier far too often, ESPECIALLY since the removal of battle tier 12.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.  My personal indicator/how I know this is happening is a session stats mod, and the WoT Statistics program.  Generally my clan mates are on when I start a session, and later in the night, they drop off, so I end up solo-pubbing for a while.

Last session was pretty typical.  I started and platooned with clan mates for my first 13 games.  Went 4/13 (30.76%), WN8 Avg 1002.  (Well.  Maybe slightly worse than average here.)

Then everyone else dropped off, and I played 8 more games.  Those games went 5/8 (62.50%), WN8 Avg 1495.  (To be frank, maybe slightly better than average for me here.)

The external factors are: 1) It was later (smaller player base), 2) On US West (no, really, smaller player base).  But I was both more tired and more inebriated, so those should have actually worked against me.

And I have some stellar games where I'm platooned, but I think the key is this - when I have those games, I generally forget about the platoon and play as if I were solo-pubbing.  Whether that's because we're all playing grind tanks that have different roles, or because I just throw away the idea of working directly with my platoonmates for that battle, doesn't matter.

Which boils down to: I don't have the skillset that is working side by side with another tank in close combat.

I need to learn:

• How to peek and time shots in coordination with a team mate/team mates.
  • How to maneuver in coordination with a team mate/team mates while ensuring I'm protecting myself appropriately from incoming fire.
  • How to focus fire(!).  Seriously, this is a fundamental that I don't have down.  Luckily, it is the one item on the list that I already know the development plan for.  But in skirmish/TC battles, if I'm in the heavy furball, I generally unload on whatever is closest to my reticle when the reload timer is done.  I do try to prioritize enemies I can kill with my shot, and I am getting better at that (slowly).

Does anyone have any direct input on the first two, or references to articles/forum threads that would be good places for me to learn?

More than a year ago, WG published some videos about how to do team training, but I can't find them now.  From what I remember of them, they were aimed at getting a clan started on developing the basic skills of team tactics.  Does anyone remember them?