Evelyn

Creating the best tank for WoT gameplay

I've had an idea floating around about what the best characteristics of a tank would be useful in the current WoT metagame, and I thought "hey, why don't I see if we could create a fictional tank that would excel at WoT situations, even though it probably wouldn't be a great tank IRL"

So what characteristics of a tank works exceptionally well in the game? (Hulldown, armor shape, etc.) To make things easy let's create a tier 10 tank for solo pubs. What tank type would it be?

Finally some ground rules. We can't be making something with 500mm armor and a 2000 horsepower engine with a 155mm TD gun on it. It has to be somewhat realistic and balanced towards the rest of the game.

Any thoughts?

T62A with 200mm of frontal armor with 120mm of side armor. Plus it also has -10 degrees of gun depression. This will allow it to hulldown, and effectively sidescrape. This 62A tank on roids would dominate. 

Wouldn't you in effect be creating an OP tank? I don't think you could accomodate the masses.

One will say armor, one will say speed, the other camo value, another will say fire control...sigh.

E50 with 105mm L/100 from the old E75 and add-on sloped armor kit for turret a la Leopard 2A6 like. Plus schurzen for the lulz.

IS-7 with BL-10 with 20 seconds reload. For HT.

BC25t with T57 Heavy gun,maybe nerf inter clip reload to 30 seconds. For MT

T62A with 200mm of frontal armor with 120mm of side armor. Plus it also has -10 degrees of gun depression. This will allow it to hulldown, and effectively sidescrape. This 62A tank on roids would dominate. 

You got here first, but I would only add more gun depression, no need for more armour :D

How about a 121 with a 130mm, 4 round autoloader? (1960 clp dmg, 10 more than Bat, hue hue)

Oscillating turret, soup bowl style~, 2.7 intraclip, 2.9 second aimtime, .38 acc, -4/+13 depression/elevation,  40 second reload...

That sound gud? o3o Would definitely be unique... 

You got here first, but I would only add more gun depression, no need for more armour :D

But I want to brawl with heavies :(

If the 62/140 had a 390 alpha gun with similar to current DPM, they would be the go-to tanks for any situation besides the odd minor niche.

From what I'm reading here, most of you guys want a medium tank. Seems fitting, since mediums can flex while still having some powerful guns.

So let's make a medium tank then! To make sure everything makes sense, the limit is a 1000hp engine with 0.75/1/1.25 ground resistance, or a specifc power of 20, whichever is lower. The tank must also be large enough to fit at least four crew members (sorry, no tiny-304 to drive under enemy tanks). Gun depression is also rather important, but remember this will make the turret taller so there's room for the breech to move.

Wouldn't you in effect be creating an OP tank? I don't think you could accomodate the masses.

One will say armor, one will say speed, the other camo value, another will say fire control...sigh.

Yeah, it would be OP in a sense, since we're making something that specifically takes advantage of the WoT game mechanics and metagame. Right now I feel the E50M is the best all-rounder for solo pubbing, since it has quite a bit of armor while still being fast with one of the most accurate medium guns.

So what's the most important parameter in unicum-game-mechanics-exploiting gameplay? Armor, speed, camo/viewrange, or gun handling?

What would the armor be shaped like? Most of you mentioned the T-62A so it'll probably be low-profile with a decent front slope.

edit: To everyone who is taking their favorite medium tank and tacking on more armor to it, remember that it'll make your tank heavier so it will go slower.

If you give the batchat 200mm frontal armor, 150mm sides, 50mm rear and give it depression of -9 or -10.....that would be my definition of OP.

I'm already drooling when I think about the possibilities...

So what's the most important parameter in unicum-game-mechanics-exploiting gameplay? Armor, speed, camo/viewrange, or gun handling?

Not a unicum but for me the most important is camo and view range, with speed and gun handling being a shared second place. 
Armor is nice and all, but with the current gold spam fest it doesn't really matter. While occasionally you're going to bounce a few shots, but your armor will never be good enough to just rush in and take on the entire enemy team.
Camo and view range give you the most significant advantage you can have, being able to spot and fire at an enemy first gives you an advantage that none of the other options can give you.

Take the BatChat autoloading SPG, bolt T95 levels of armor to it, and now you have the ultimate killing machine, that hits anywhere on the map, with an autoloader, that fires HE which always does damage.

Take the BatChat autoloading SPG, bolt T95 levels of armor to it, and now you have the ultimate killing machine, that hits anywhere on the map, with an autoloader, that fires HE which always does damage.

So... it'll be an E4 with a crappy autoloader and warpack? 

this, but you'll have to make the turret higher so the gun can pivot lower