Sign in to follow this  
Angel_With_A_Shotgun

STA-1 I'm in love. ^///^

Dear lord, Teir 8 baby where have you been all my life? When I first got this tank (courtesy of the Chaffee races) I only had the second 90mm gun. Not a bad gun at all, but it just never seemed to perform well enough to keep me in the game very well. I kinda got disillusioned with the tank. Then, I unlocked its final gun and it was just...Wow. That gun doesn't seem to care what you shoot it at it just punches through. Its really accurate and mounted on a rather mobile platform. What I like best about the STA is that its very flexible. It can snipe, rush, flank, support. Anything you need it to do except weather a storm of gunfire, it can do. It may not be the best T8 med. But for me its defiantly a keeper. ^^

Okay enough of me drooling all over my new toy. I wanted to ask some opinions about crew skills and equipment for the vehicle. I want to boost its performance as much as I can. 

Commander/Radioman - Sixth Sense, Camo 79%

Gunner - Snap Shot, Camo 78%

Driver - Smooth Ride, Camo 79%

Loader - Repairs, Camo 77%

Equipment: Gun Rammer, Vents, Coated Optics

Consumables: Small Repair Kit, Small Med Kit, Auto Extinguisher

Ammo: 37 AP, 10 HEAT, 3 HE

module damage was painful and every 46%er artillery mr. sexii knows to shoot at jap tanks over anything else, that being said it is a nice platform, its no godject 416 sniper platform but it gets the job done. olny problem i had with this tank was that nothing really stood out: it did a lot of things good: decent mobility, good rof and pen, average alpha, low top speed. but it dosent do anything great so its not a keeper for me.

You haven't shot at an IS-7 yet, have you?

Actually yes. I try to stay at range though. I tend to aim for the sides and if I can I move so that I can fire flat at one side of the cone on the hull. That said return fire from that thing is painful. ^^'

Taking into account premium rounds, this is basically a worse Pershing. Have you tried that one instead?

I havent actually started the American Medium line yet. But if the Pershing is better than it makes me happy to have something to look forward to. ^^

See my review here.

Having said that, this review was written at the start of the shift in meta towards close-quarter combat, and that shift has not been kind to the STA.

I havent actually started the American Medium line yet. But if the Pershing is better than it makes me happy to have something to look forward to. ^^

But in the Persh, you'll NEED to sling premium to out-pen (180 -v- 218.7) the STA, and even if you go APCR the HEAT from the STA still out-pens the Persh.

But in the Persh, you'll NEED to sling premium to out-pen (180 -v- 218.7) the STA, and even if you go APCR the HEAT from the STA still out-pens the Persh.

Half true. The base round pen on the STA is clearly better than the M26, as you indicated, but as for the premium round, 267 APCR is superior to 275 HEAT. This is because:

(a) APCR has 2 degrees of normalization, HEAT has none, and HEAT autobounces more easily than APCR.

(b) APCR is not subject to spaced armor/tracks like HEAT

© APCR has much better shell velocity

To unpack the first statement further, let me present this example:

amx-50-foch-effective-armor.jpg

The Foch UFP is 314 mm effective armor flat-on, excluding normalization. That means it is 314 mm vs HEAT. But that renders it 280 mm vs AP and 299 vs APCR. Effectively, in this case, you lose 15 mm of armor penetration due to lack of normalization.

Half true. The base round pen on the STA is clearly better than the M26, as you indicated, but as for the premium round, 267 APCR is superior to 275 HEAT. This is because:

(a) APCR has 2 degrees of normalization, HEAT has none, and HEAT autobounces more easily than APCR.

(b) APCR is not subject to spaced armor/tracks like HEAT

© APCR has much better shell velocity

To unpack the first statement further, let me present this example:

amx-50-foch-effective-armor.jpg

The Foch UFP is 314 mm effective armor flat-on, excluding normalization. That means it is 314 mm vs HEAT. But that renders it 280 mm vs AP and 299 vs APCR. Effectively, in this case, you lose 15 mm of armor penetration due to lack of normalization.

Copy, thanks for the redirect.

Copy, thanks for the redirect.

Also you have to count the fact that unlike the STA the Pershing has armor. It can take hits the STA cant.

Also you have to count the fact that unlike the STA the Pershing has armor. It can take hits the STA cant.

This is of course true. However, it is also much more expensive for anyone who lacks premium account and unicum skills to run the Pershing as APCR is just about mandatory.

I just noticed the vehicle distribution of your played vehicles, you heavily overspecialize in mediums. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I do get the feeling that you may be climbing the medium lines a little bit too quickly if you're already at tier 8 on Japanese line at 2K games and not quite getting used to opponents of every level (you said as much on the M4 Sherman where to thread where I listed common penetrations E2 faces). Your performance stats-wise given this fact is VERY impressive, but I get the feeling you could easily be deep blue if not unicum if you branched out a bit more and started playing other lines at the same time, even if it's just for daily doubles like I do. The faster heavies (E5, 50B, IS-7, and to an extent T57 Heavy lines) would likely not be too hard to adapt to, nor the turreted American TDs (up till tier 7 at least). I recommend, if you wish to make forays into TDs (and have enough garage slots you bought on sale) the Object 263, the Jagdpanther II, and the Object 704 for good balances of firepower, protection, and mobility (and for over-performance at tier for the JP2/704).

Noobmeter tells me you played Indien, and are apparently unused to uncomfortable tanks, either that or... There are reasons why it is STRONGLY advised to play either Tiger I (preferable as Tier 7 is easier) or Panther II before the Indien, because L/56 stock gun is an abomination.

Good to see you active on forums, and not at all assholish like a large number of people here seem to be.

This is of course true. However, it is also much more expensive for anyone who lacks premium account and unicum skills to run the Pershing as APCR is just about mandatory.

I just noticed the vehicle distribution of your played vehicles, you heavily overspecialize in mediums. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I do get the feeling that you may be climbing the medium lines a little bit too quickly if you're already at tier 8 on Japanese line at 2K games and not quite getting used to opponents of every level (you said as much on the M4 Sherman where to thread where I listed common penetrations E2 faces). Your performance stats-wise given this fact is VERY impressive, but I get the feeling you could easily be deep blue if not unicum if you branched out a bit more and started playing other lines at the same time, even if it's just for daily doubles like I do. The faster heavies (E5, 50B, IS-7, and to an extent T57 Heavy lines) would likely not be too hard to adapt to, nor the turreted American TDs (up till tier 7 at least). I recommend, if you wish to make forays into TDs (and have enough garage slots you bought on sale) the Object 263, the Jagdpanther II, and the Object 704 for good balances of firepower, protection, and mobility (and for over-performance at tier for the JP2/704).

Noobmeter tells me you played Indien, and are apparently unused to uncomfortable tanks, either that or... There are reasons why it is STRONGLY advised to play either Tiger I (preferable as Tier 7 is easier) or Panther II before the Indien, because L/56 stock gun is an abomination.

Good to see you active on forums, and not at all assholish like a large number of people here seem to be.

I have no problem accepting advice when its given. I actually am working up the german TD line toward the Jagtiger. I've wanted that one since I started. I have heard good things about the E5 as well. And since I can easily hop onto its line from the American med line at the E2 I'll take your advice and start working down that line as well. 

My Indienpanzer is fully upgraded, my biggest fault in it is I am a tad over aggresive and will stick my nose where it REALLY don't belong. The WOT University clan I joined is helping me with that. They are also the reason my stats are improving rather well as of late. By hammering home the small things that I normally didnt focus on because I was to busy trying to shoot everything they've got me staying alive longer and doing more damage in the long run.

Thanks alot for all the help you've been sending my way! It's really appreciated. I will be a Bluenicum some day, Unicum I somehow doubt though. XP

I'd go with the opposite of what Guardian says, don't try and run multiple lines at once. Especially when you've only started out. You'll get confused and try to mix in different playstyles and compromise your learning curve.

Become familiar with the line you're on, get good at that line. Otherwise jumping between vehicles with wildly different playstyles or strengths will just cause you to tank (pun intended). The STA-1 is probably not the best starter line, but it is a good enough vehicle. I suggest you stick with it and learn the strengths and then move on to another line. One positive will be that when you do choose another medium line you will notice they are far more comfy than the STA1. The jap line really is quite beginner unfriendly.

I'd go with the opposite of what Guardian says, don't try and run multiple lines at once. Especially when you've only started out. You'll get confused and try to mix in different playstyles and compromise your learning curve.

Become familiar with the line you're on, get good at that line. Otherwise jumping between vehicles with wildly different playstyles or strengths will just cause you to tank (pun intended). The STA-1 is probably not the best starter line, but it is a good enough vehicle. I suggest you stick with it and learn the strengths and then move on to another line. One positive will be that when you do choose another medium line you will notice they are far more comfy than the STA1. The jap line really is quite beginner unfriendly.

I did notice that climbing the Japanese line in comparison to the other lines I've gone up was substantially tougher, minus the Leo 1s line anyway, But for some reason the vehicle performs well with me. I think it may be the fact that I am aware it has paper for armor and I tend to try and keep it safe. Compared to a tank like my Panther 2, which I still do well in, but I take it into situations I'd NEVER place my STA in. hmmmm, I think I just figured out why I'm over agressive in some tanks...I know they have armor...I need to start thinking of some more tanks like my STA and provide support early then mop up. Thanks! ^^

I made the mistake early on to go for multiple lines at once, but at least I chose lines that seemed to end in tier 10s with reasonable balance of firepower, protection and mobility.

However, he's at 2K games, maybe it's time for him to branch out a little, and I specifically recommended the fast heavies or turreted TDs for him because they are the most medium-like (though still not that much).

In the meantime, stock STA makes me want to SCREAM from the lack of gun depression with the stock gun/turret.

Just got this thing, I got myself to finish off the first skills/perks for my Chi-Ri crew so I do have sixth sense, thank god. I also free-xped the second 90mm gun, mounted vert stabs before the weight limit prevented me from mounting a rammer. 

Any tips?

Just got this thing, I got myself to finish off the first skills/perks for my Chi-Ri crew so I do have sixth sense, thank god. I also free-xped the second 90mm gun, mounted vert stabs before the weight limit prevented me from mounting a rammer. 

Any tips?

Put on suspension equipment and mount a rammer as well. Getting tracked less is also a small plus.

I wish the enhanced suspension equipment was Enhanced Torsion Bars +5t, not +3t... I have the +5t from the Panther... 

Wholeheartedly agree!

I played the STA-1 extensively on two test servers and feel its like a t8 leopard in many respects once elited and your crew is up to 3-4 skills.

I would go for Leo 1 type skills focusing on gunnery and mobility. Combine that with BIA and you can get gun accuracy down to .335

Really enjoying the glass cannon mediums now, feel like they have a lot to offer in learning and improving.

So I've unlocked it yesterday.

90% crew with 6th and the rest camo + 40% of second skill.

Fully stock, not enough free xp atm.

My lord, it's horrible. As I don't want to buy the enh. suspension, I only equipped the rammer.

I can't hit shit, usually 1 shot pens per game in 5 or 6 battles.

Additionally, no team above 50% and always at the bottom - besides the first game ofc.

I deal triple the damage at tier 6 ffs. Even apcr sprem (stock gun) does not help, as I can't hit shit more than 100m away.

I want to grind it now, because of the fury event - faster crew training. But seriously, it hurts so much.

I hope it's going to get better when it's elite but for now...holy crap!

So I've unlocked it yesterday.

90% crew with 6th and the rest camo + 40% of second skill.

Fully stock, not enough free xp atm.

My lord, it's horrible. As I don't want to buy the enh. suspension, I only equipped the rammer.

I can't hit shit, usually 1 shot pens per game in 5 or 6 battles.

Additionally, no team above 50% and always at the bottom - besides the first game ofc.

I deal triple the damage at tier 6 ffs. Even apcr sprem (stock gun) does not help, as I can't hit shit more than 100m away.

I want to grind it now, because of the fury event - faster crew training. But seriously, it hurts so much.

I hope it's going to get better when it's elite but for now...holy crap!

In all honesty you probably should have used the Chi ri to grind out the modules for it before you bought it. Then the crew would be better trained and you wouldn't have had to deal with the stock grind. I only bought mine after I had everything except the top gun. It's playable like that but you have to aim carefully. The top gun is a beautiful japanese work of art! High pen, good rate of fire, and good gun control. Stick with it the STA is a good T8 med. And even if it doesn't suit you there is always the next 2 in the line. ^^

In all honesty you probably should have used the Chi ri to grind out the modules for it before you bought it. Then the crew would be better trained and you wouldn't have had to deal with the stock grind. I only bought mine after I had everything except the top gun. It's playable like that but you have to aim carefully. The top gun is a beautiful japanese work of art! High pen, good rate of fire, and good gun control. Stick with it the STA is a good T8 med. And even if it doesn't suit you there is always the next 2 in the line. ^^

the chi ri olny shares the radio with STA i believe? the STA was quite an expensive tank for tier 8, no way was i playing that tank stock and i still sucked in it. in all honesty the cent one beats this tank in every respect.

even the speed of the STA is almost comparable to the cent. ive recently unlocked the cent and i like it a lot more than the STA