Angel_With_A_Shotgun

STA-1 I'm in love. ^///^

the chi ri olny shares the radio with STA i believe? the STA was quite an expensive tank for tier 8, no way was i playing that tank stock and i still sucked in it. in all honesty the cent one beats this tank in every respect.

even the speed of the STA is almost comparable to the cent. ive recently unlocked the cent and i like it a lot more than the STA

I meant use the Chi Ri to grind free exp to unlock the modules. It will train your crew while you do it as well. ^^

I meant use the Chi Ri to grind free exp to unlock the modules. It will train your crew while you do it as well. ^^

If you are going to spend gold converting the free xp, the free xp should be from a tank you enjoy playing. Getting someone to suffer the Chi Ri even after it has been elited is a cruel and unusual punishment.

If you are going to spend gold converting the free xp, the free xp should be from a tank you enjoy playing. Getting someone to suffer the Chi Ri even after it has been elited is a cruel and unusual punishment.

I didn't find it to be. I loved and still have my Chi ri. ^^

Here's a game I think I did fairly well in. My STA has Sixth Sense, Snap shot, Smooth Ride, and Repairs. The whole crew is at 86% camo as the Japanese meds seem to be able to abuse it fairly well. I worked the ridge line relocated often and took rather minimal damage. But as always please let me know if you guys see anything you believe I could have done better. I'm always up for learning. ^^

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1287682?secret=1586db59b40262dbb7fba0952c186e2b

Well, the tracks are 15k xp, the turret 17k, the top gun 41k afaik.

Farm free xp with the chi ri ...70k? Are you insane?

I rage sold the chi-ri 3 times during the grind.

It had some nice moments but it's still a horrible horrible tank.

Day 2 of grinding sta - tracks unlocked, below 1k dpg (i have more with my t34-85, 2 tiers below).

Well, the tracks are 15k xp, the turret 17k, the top gun 41k afaik.

Farm free xp with the chi ri ...70k? Are you insane?

I rage sold the chi-ri 3 times during the grind.

It had some nice moments but it's still a horrible horrible tank.

Day 2 of grinding sta - tracks unlocked, below 1k dpg (i have more with my t34-85, 2 tiers below).

Keep it up, It really comes into its own when the top gun is unlocked. I keep a few premium rounds just in case, but I can't remember the last time I had to actually use them.  And yes I realize that most people don't like the Chi Ri as much as I did. ^^ 

I learned recently to keep my enhanced suspension equipment, especially the torsion bar ones as they're shared by a lot of tanks. Enhanced suspensions are such a great investment. I free-xped the second 90mm gun because no fucking way am I playing against E-100s and Death Stars with 155mm of penetration. Fuck that shit. It was definitely bearable with 185mm of pen though, if you played smart. My mastery badge came with that gun, over 4k damage, granted I was top tier.

I didn't think the Chi-Ri was terrible, it was just meh/not fun. It was definitely a beast if people let you be one.

But yeah, basically, what I do is just poke, shoot someone the moment they stop looking at me, then back the fuck off again. 

Don't have the top engine nor top suspension, but do have top gun (enhanced torsion bars yo). Sixth sense (you need it at higher tiers, you can't afford to risk not knowing you're spotted and get one-shotted by death stars and such) and camo.

Good tank. The tank that made me fall in love with mediums. Got 391 games in it and 582 in the Type 61, both are great tanks and I love them, even if the STA-1 is the tank where I learned how to not be a scrub so stats are scrubadubnub-tier.

I play it like I've heard most people describe a hellcat, lotsa camo. Vert stab + optics + rammer, full camo crew with 6th. Chi-Ri was one of the worst tanks I've ever played though.

really enjoy my STA-1, have played quite a few battles in it, most of them have been without sixth sense (first crew went on to type 61, 2nd finally got 6th a couple of matches ago)
the DPM on that tank is just crippling for any t8 that meets it, against higher tiers the pen is really nice aswell, and even though i carry alot of premium shells, i rarely use them...

I unlocked the STA-1 not that long after the japanese tanks came out, I did free exp my way to tier 5 but then went back and played them for a bit. The Chi-Ri was an interesting tank to drive but ultimately just felt like a massive target, the STA is a nicer drive but I'll be honest, I sold mine a while back after not managing to make it work for me. 

Time has now passed, I have a tank (2 actually) to soothe my aggressive medium tendencies so maybe now is the time to return to the STA-1, I did love the gun, I hated the lack of armour.

Pretty soon this tank will be my most played simply because for the last 300-400 battles I'm in a constant struggle to get the blasted 3rd Mark of Excellence and get that percentage to that damn 95%.

Problem is that the percentage barely increases unless you had a 3.5k dmg game with some 1-1.5k assist dmg, and even then it's only by 0.70 or something - compared to having one bad fight in which you only do 1-1.2k dmg and it decreases by a whole 1% or more.

And man, these days I'm having quite a lot of those really poor fights... either sky cancer derps me from near full-HP (frigging hate GW Panthers, M53/55s, Lorraine's & BC 155 55/58!) or my team just goes full potato, especially in tier 10 game, where even with full-HEAT spam I can barely scrounge 1.5k dmg before being reduced to a pile of scrapheap.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing it - but being bullied by every tier 7 autoloading LT and their mother, along with the absolutely batshit crazy module/crew damage this thing takes, basically being sent instantly to the garage for every tiny mistake you make on these god-awful, camo-less maps that we have now is wearing me down big time.

Not to mention that my WR in the STA-1 dropped from 57.6 or something to 55.8... either I'm doing something wrong or this thing just can't hard carry.

The STA-1 was my first tier 8 medium tank, even before getting the Pershing and Centurion I. I was almost put off by the horrible stock grind as well, but i stuck it through until i finally unlocked the top 90mm gun and eventually fully upgraded the STA-1. And it sure paid off.

I actually prefer the STA-1 over the Pershing or Centurion, even after getting those two. It's mobility i find is better than the Pershing and is definitely faster than the Centurion, and despite having a less powerful engine the STA-1 has a better p/w ratio due to its lower weight than the other two. While the Pershing and Centurion have tough frontal turret armor, these can still get penetrated by higher tier tanks with high penetration guns, and can be frustrating when that happens when the armor suddenly fails to perform as advertised. with the STA-1 i can accept not having any armor and thus will play accordingly. surprise bounces are welcome, but it's not something i expect and will often play the STA-1 as a guerilla fighter, taking opportunistic shots if i can, preferably at long range.

speaking of firepower, the 90mm gun on the STA-1 has a faster rate of fire thus DPM than the Pershing and Centurion, and the penetration falls between the M26 and Centurion at a respectable 218 penetration with AP. i rarely have to fire any premium rounds on the STA-1 unlike the M26, and even less so since the prem round is HEAT which i only ever use it at close range for guaranteed hits rather than risk it sizzle but not pen against sloped or spaced armor at longer range.

i often platoon with some guys in medium tank platoons, where oftentimes if they are in a T69 or M26, T-44 or Obj416, i happen to have the best penetration on the platoon and am more able to deal with tougher tanks than they can, without resorting to premium ammo of course.

despite having it for so long and doing well in it, i've yet to get my mastery badge on it which goes to show just how well the STA-1 does i suppose. the quest continues to get that badge though

despite having it for so long and doing well in it, i've yet to get my mastery badge on it which goes to show just how well the STA-1 does i suppose. the quest continues to get that badge though

I think that's a function of how few shitters play it more than how good the tank is. That being said... I am (knock on wood) enjoying it even with the stock gun so far.

This tank was baller. I ground through it pure stock with no problems. The stock gun with a nice apcr prem round was really nice. Top gun has enough pen for just about anything youll meet.Can play the hill games, dpm was freedom, think the camo was good with a camo crew. Never felt gimped ever in this thing and finished in a lil over 200 battles with no premium account and with the 3rd mark solo. Sadly had to sell it so i could use the crew for the 61. Still like the pershing better though. In the words of mickey this thing - " Eats lighting and craps thunda!"

I'm liking this tank more and more as I play it (is it because my crew is getting better 0.o). I bought the STA-2 to crew train with the STA-1. Both, very very similar. I think I actually prefer the STA-2. I love seeing the fat credits at the end of the battle, versus quadruple digit red numbers when I play STA-1. You died in STA-1? DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200 DOLLARS, GO GRIND TIER 8 PREMIUMS. Pershing is same way though. 

I think WG made all the good tier 8 medium tanks credit sinks (Thinking.. OBJ 416 - dat heat, Pershing - lolz 180 pen on reg shell, STA-1? The expensive import).

Really liked the STA-1; however, I moved my crew on to the Type-61 and then on to the STB-1 due to all their skills/perks. I'm probably going to buy it back and see if I can get my second mark.

This was my Ace Tanker game tonight in the STA-1  - 7 kills and 3981 damage

I really like this tank , I dropped the Binoculars ( when do you often get an open map ?? ) and went for Vertical Stabilisers

this transforms the gun , already amazing !

my 1 EXCELLENT piece of advice for anyone wanting to grind this tank - for heavens sake get free xp and research the second gun -  Tier 8

90 mm Rifled Gun with 185 penetration - do NOT use the stock gun you will not penetrate anything .          
2 hours ago, 73north said:

I dropped the Binoculars ( when do you often get an open map ?? ) and went for Vertical Stabilisers

my 1 EXCELLENT piece of advice for anyone wanting to grind this tank - for heavens sake get free xp and research the second gun

My 2 cents:

Why equipment did you use in 1st place? o.O Rammer and V.Stab is must have on all tanks. You should have used that in 1st place. 3rd slot is usually reserved for Optics or Ventilation(I'd use optics on STA since it's a bit harder to get ideal view range on tier 8, I suppose your crew isn't pimped out and you don't run food).

Also about free exping the gun: General consensus is to AVOID the 2nd gun, since it's a dead end. Most people(and me) recommend investing that exp into turret and last gun and fire A LOT of APCR from stock gun.

I was using gun rammer and vents , and had a Brothers in Arms crew during the grind - I made a mistake in not selecting the vert stabs - totally agree

I also hardly ever use food on Japanese Tanks ( apart from Ace Tanker in Chi Ri ) as I have been set on fire too often and burned from almost full health -

usually when I was having a superb game - and then my team fold after I die  .

i loved my STA-1, it was my first tier 8 medium tank, even before i got the Pershing, T-44 or Centurion I, and i do still like the STA-1. The combination of speed, mobility, low profile, amazing gun handling and punchy gun just made this tank a joy to drive. i learned early on to accept the lack of any armor on the STA-1 and played accordingly i.e. dont get shot at. 

the grind is a bitch, but all worth it.

19 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

My 2 cents:

Why equipment did you use in 1st place? o.O Rammer and V.Stab is must have on all tanks. You should have used that in 1st place. 3rd slot is usually reserved for Optics or Ventilation(I'd use optics on STA since it's a bit harder to get ideal view range on tier 8, I suppose your crew isn't pimped out and you don't run food).

Also about free exping the gun: General consensus is to AVOID the 2nd gun, since it's a dead end. Most people(and me) recommend investing that exp into turret and last gun and fire A LOT of APCR from stock gun.

it doesn't really take that long to grind and unlock the 2nd gun. just do daily x2, pray to RNG, pack some sprem, and find a platoon mate willing to work with your stock tank grind

i mounted vents, gun rammer and vert stab on mine. i'm at the Type 61, but i've still kept the STA-1 with its 3 skill crew since it has a special place in my heart garage. i just moved the crew i had in my Ke-Ho to the Type shoot me in my tumor while my gun derps around 61

1 hour ago, ThomChen114 said:

it doesn't really take that long to grind and unlock the 2nd gun. just do daily x2, pray to RNG, pack some sprem, and find a platoon mate willing to work with your stock tank grind

Yet it only takes credits to spam some APCR with stock gun.

Finished my STA1 grind, weeeee to Type 61 I go!

Just a few tidbits from playing STA-1:

- That gun elevation can get you killed (if you're in a situation where you need to kill them first).
- It's a beautiful tank.
- I like the STA-2's reload better, and will continue to play STA-2 and just pretend its my STA-1.
- Japanese & French crews talk a lot.