Pocktio

Does anyone actually like the Tortoise?

Hi guys, 

I've always been looking at the Tort. I've never even bothered. I really want to get one but I am constantly amazed by how insane the weaknesses are:

The armour seems worthless. The weakspots just seem to completely invalidate it

The speed. Again, at least the t95 has reliable armour. 

The gun looks a great deal of fun. The DPM. Dakka looks like a bundle of fun, maybe as a platoon only vehicle with some fast movers to compensate? It also has a dank healthpool to use as armour.

I'd be very grateful if people could share their thoughts, especially if you own a Tort?

Worth it or not?

I have the Tortie and have played every TD in the British line, so I will give my two-cents.

Positives:

DPM. You can melt enemy tanks you meet and you dont need a lot of time to do a lot of damage. Perma-tracking heavies with poor repaircrew is possible. I've done it to an E100 where his turret was behind the corner (bad peekaboom by him led to this situation) and I just ate him up in no time.

Gun handling. The gun handles so so well. Because of the low speed the dispersion is nothing to notice and coupled with excellent aim time and accuracy means this gun hits where you aim 9/10 times.

APCR. The APCR pen let you go through anything in the game. It is stupid.

HP. It has 2000 HP which is the same as some tier X tanks and (IIRC) the most at tier IX. This means you can take a beating.

Wide traverse for the gun. You can angle your tank a reasonable amount to either side and it also helps going around corners with minimal risk of being tracked in an awkward position.

Negatives:

No armour. The only truly armoured part of your tank is the gun mantlet, the angled bit around your gun and the upper plate. Everything else (more or less) can be penned by 250+ pen guns with ease. Also the cupola (that everyone knows about at tier IX) is pennable by any gun you meet (I think).

Slow. The battle can run away from you, similar to a T95. Either pick a flank and try to push the tempo without being the priority target, or set up a defensive position.

To be fair I quite enjoy the Tortoise, but I NEVER go into a game especting a monster carry. Some games are over before I can do anything and other games the tanks all went to the opposite flank.

The gun allows you to reliably do damage whenever you meet a tank and also allows you to do a significant amount of damage if you are being swarmed. I can't remember my average damage, but I think it is around 2.5k damage.

It takes some map knowledge and situational awareness to make this tank less frustrating to play. If you can accurately predict where and when to go, you can have some very nice games.

In regards to the armour, you can't expect to bounce anything really. Especially if they can see your cupola. Nothing to do about it really. I have, though, found out that some players rely on the weakspot to do damage, so if you hide it they actually have no idea where to pen you. This can give some hilarious results as a T57 heavy just unloading his clip into the mantle/upper plate because he didn't have the weakspot. I ate him up afterwards by tracking him and just penning.

It plays similarly to the AT15 except your armour is not as reliable but you are never bottom tier/worthless. :)

It seems like it would be a very fun tank. Not a carryhard flexbeast but just a whole barrel of fun. Being able to dunk something with that 120mm buzzsaw. I didn't realise it had 2k HP either. S'hella lot of HP for a tier 9 TD, with that DPM. It sounds like a 'fuck you' tank when you conserve it well and get the drop or bounce something. I like the sound of this.

I've also heard similar things from clan members. I shall assign him to my third grind. 

you have to angle it for the armor to work also if you stay kind of at mid to long range it helps so that damn commander's tower i mean cupola isn't so easy to hit also i got my reload on the 120 to 5 seconds and change with 100 percent crew BIA rammer also the gun is a laser

Paging jacg123 to thread!

Yep. I actually do love the tortoise, it was a pretty fun tank for me. WaterWar pretty much has it covered, but I'd like to point out that a huge portion of the pubbies you run up against don't know how to shoot you properly, or will rush their shots. 

I kept it after getting the 183 and ground out another crew on it to use. It used to be my highest DPG tier 9 (over 3k @ 69% wins) until the I got the baby waffle. It does work well in a platoon, but if you're running a 3-man stomper platoon you'll probably just get left in the dust. I preferred running it in a 2-man platoon with someone in a heavy or medium. E-75 or T-54 are the obvious carry choices, but anything really goes so long as the person you're platooned with isn't platoon-dependent. 

Also, fastest you can get the reload w/o food I believe is 5.99s. In any case, 4k DPM means you melt anything with 2k HP (all tier 10 meds) in 24 seconds, which is goddamn fast.

Edited by jacg123

Yep. I actually do love the tortoise, it was a pretty fun tank for me. WaterWar pretty much has it covered, but I'd like to point out that a huge portion of the pubbies you run up against don't know how to shoot you properly, or will rush their shots. 

Must be an NA thing, because on EU everyone besides the worst 45%-baddies know that the cupola/MG-port is a weak spot. If you remove/cover that though, I agree that a lot of people dont know that the sides of the front can be penned by almost any tier 9/10 gun.

Must be an NA thing, because on EU everyone besides the worst 45%-baddies know that the cupola/MG-port is a weak spot. If you remove/cover that though, I agree that a lot of people dont know that the sides of the front can be penned by almost any tier 9/10 gun.

NA is riddled with autoaim baddies, but there are plenty that can shoot too. It makes you too comfortable with the armor, which isn't actually that great.

Surely with the majestic height of the Tort, things hitting your roof is rare?

Except clickers. Fuck them. 

4k dpm? Hot shit that's bananaballs.

I loved my Tortoise.  I also really enjoyed the line leading up to it.  Slow tanks don't obther me too much.  The DPM is amazing.  Gun was amazing.  It bounced its fair share of enemy shots.  The gun traverse is exceptional.  Makes cornering incredibly easy. Think Himmelsdorf heavy alley.  Can angle 35 degrees or so completely protecting your side and still hit the entire alley due to the gun traverse.  If you can find that kind of hard cover, the front becaomes incredibly hard to penetrate, unless the enemy just hatches you to death.

I really enjoyed it.  Wish I had stopped there as the 183 is just...not my cup of tea, so to speak.  183 was the only second 10 I ever sold.  The Bat arty (post arty nerf) being the other.

Caveat: I played it before the TD camo nerf and the HD changes.

It was Ok

DPM fantastic

huge tumor weakspot too hard to hide as its nearly in orbit and everyone knows its a weakspot

I liked it due to not expecting to perform anywhere near 60%. Angle 19 degrees to the left and hide your whole right side (cupola side, all of it, is weak) behind solid cover, and ideally be abusing your gun depression too, and bob back and forth a bit between shots, and you will bounce tier 10 AP with considerable reliability unless fighting other TDs. When I played tort, I would be usually the closest to the corner after an E-75/E-100 or ST-I, because this tank... you want to chase any single opponents at a corner around it, otherwise they will trade favourably if they have higher alpha and loaded SPREM as most would fighting a tort who knows WTF he's doing, and you cannot allow this. Permatracking is nice, but a full repair crew plus the passive from large repair kit means the enemy may pull back before your 6 second reload is done. You will often need to lead the push with your buzz saw for the pubbies cowering behind you to pop out and do anything. Try to communicate with them before heading around the corner.

AVOID JPEs IF ABLE.

I just had a game where I melted a Centurion in 4 shots, JPII in 3 shots and finished off a half-health T-34-1 with two shots. All without letting go of the trigger. Took me about a minute to kill three tanks solo. The DPM on this tank is just STUPID when the enemy just sits in front of your gun.

Also, I once four-shot a WTE100 with HESH. Took me 20 seconds to take him from 2k Hp to 0 HP. Rolled for 500-600 on every shot and looking on the post game stats I more or less killed everything that could be killed in his tank, short of the commander. Best. gaming. experience. ever.

I could kill the JPII with the last two shots before he could reload, which is saying something.

The Tortoise is one of thos tanks i keep looking at because of dat gun and dat sexyness and i could never actually play because i hate slow tanks. Must be fun having that gun though.

A caveat: tanks that are below you can detrack you and damage you from the front because behind the drive wheel there is a hull hitbox. Beware of that.

The Tortoise is one of my favorite tier 9 tanks. The gun on it is incredible and while the armor is lackluster, you can usually pull off some stupid shit at long range with it making people extremely mad to the point where they just sling HE at you before they get quickly removed by the 120's DPM. 

I run mine with Super Heavy Spall Liner, Gun Rammer, Optics, and a premium medkit to prevent my loader in the Coupla from getting deleted. Every other match since you often find yourself all the way at the back struggling to spot tanks while having to constantly move, or you're at the front line taking an absolute beating and trading with people from your 2000 hp pool. I've found Spall Liner and Coated Optics fixes this problem I had with the Tortoise. 

Also those sweet HESH rounds, hmmmm. 

How does it compare to life in the AT7?  Worth jumping to?  

I swore off any TD's after a short stint in the old T49, Dicker, and AT8/7.  (To be fair, the Dicker was my first tank ever.)

Not that I have any knowledge but I think the AT7 is the bad one of the line. The others all have strengths in some way.

How's it go? AT2 - stronk for tier AT7 - terriballs AT8 - can be used AT15 - Can be used

Not that I have any knowledge but I think the AT7 is the bad one of the line. The others all have strengths in some way.

How's it go? AT2 - stronk for tier AT7 - terriballs AT8 - can be used AT15 - Can be used

I found the AT-7 and At-15 to be the strongest of the line actually. Those are the two you will have most fun with and definitely have the most reliable armor out of all of them. 

I haven't played them in an extremely long time since I can't really get into the mentally of playing them anymore after playing over 1,000 battles in a single chinese medium tank,(wz-120masterrace).

The Gems of the British TD Line are what follow, Alecto, AT-7, AT-15, Tortoise, and FV-183. All these tanks can carry their games quite easily, the AT-2 when I played it struggled against almost everything that was a tier higher than it. 

The AT-8 is riddled with speakspots and is absolute shit, the only redeeming factor being the 17 pdr gun. You simply aim for the left side of the tank when facing it and his armor because obsolete. 

AT-2 cannot carry outside of it's own tier, therefore it's shit. 

The AT-7 is one strongest of the line along with the at-15 because it has the 2nd most effective armor and once you hide it's gun around a corner it is the most annoying fucking thing to dig out since it is virtually impenetrable. 

AT-15 in my opinion has the best armor out of all of them because it's so called "weakspots" are incredibly small, and the "weak manlet" becomes extremely strong when you aren't facing the enemy. It's a case much like the Churchill III, fire, turn turret, and repeat. It's also an absolute god at sidescraping and it's extremely hard to circle because of it's massive gun arc. Did I mention it's gun is literally a fucking railgun too? You will never miss a shot and if you do it's your own fault, it's that accurate. 

AT-7 is definitely worth going to and up to the tier 10 because it never gets old one shotting IS-7s now does it? 

pzsk4.png

at-7 stronk 

Thanks, I got the AT7 & 8 confused it would seem.

Gonna spam freexp to get right into the AT15 I think.

How does it compare to life in the AT7?  Worth jumping to?  

I swore off any TD's after a short stint in the old T49, Dicker, and AT8/7.  (To be fair, the Dicker was my first tank ever.)

That AT-7 isn't bad.  Tier 7 is an awkward place for TD's because you're missing the huge HP jump most tank lines make from tier 7 to tier 8.  The tier 8 AT-15 was absolute joy to drive.  Despite its slowness, the weakspots are smaller, the hatch isn't as easy to hit and IMO, it has the best armor layout of all the Brit TD's. 

The moment of truth. 

I now have enough xp thanks to x5. 

I will be acquiring gold to facilitate the acquisition of my mighty Tort. 

Geeee *happy dance*

How far will you be skipping? I can recommend playing at least the AT-15 as that tank plays quite similarly to the Tortoise and you can get used to the blistering speed of the AT-tanks.