Garbad

What I learned from platooning with Dark Reds

Question

I wonder if a lot of that is a generational thing.  I've been reacting to bleeps and bloops since I was a kid playing asteroid on my dad's Atari.  I wasn't any good (I distinctly remember a few years later almost never getting past the first 2-3 stages of Mario Bros for NES, and I played TIE Fighter with all the cheats enabled) but I learned the language.  So I don't have any problems reacting to things in game or multi-tasking (depending on the tasks).

I wonder if a lot of that is a generational thing.  I've been reacting to bleeps and bloops since I was a kid playing asteroid on my dad's Atari.  I wasn't any good (I distinctly remember a few years later almost never getting past the first 2-3 stages of Mario Bros for NES, and I played TIE Fighter with all the cheats enabled) but I learned the language.  So I don't have any problems reacting to things in game or multi-tasking (depending on the tasks).

Its certainly possible.  But then again, G has a LOT of older players.  We have many 40+ players, and some 60+.  And even for me, WOT was my first WASD game (which I struggled with early on).  I was a PC game vet tho.

WOT isn't really a twitch shooter, but at its core, it seems to be a twitch thinker.  The faster you can mentally process the available info, the better off you'll be.  Learning to make the right decisions *quickly* comes easy for some people, hard for others.

Hopefully some of you tomaters find this interesting.

Obiviosly not a tomatoe myself, but I found this post verry usefull. Might sound weird, but one of the most interesting things I read about WoT in a while.

I don't think it's an age thing, being 50+ myself. I simply think that the ability to multi-process is not inherent in all human beings. And I KNOW from long experience that there are many humans that are challenged every time they have to plan a trip to the bathroom. I don't believe these are innate skills, but are learned and some of us have just had better results at absorbing these things. 

My son is an awful WoT player.  He's 12 years old the minimum age specified in the EULA.  He's generally quite good at most games.  He just simply doesn't comprehend the important things in WoT.  He doesn't remember anything about the games or take any extra effort to improve.  Which I find to be odd because he can ramble on for 3 hours straight about what he did in Terraria or what he built in Minecraft.  And he'll watch hours and hours of Terraria or Minecraft videos and streams.  He also reads guides and has the wikis for both games memorized.  He just couldn't care less about anything in World of Tanks other than that a) he wants to play it because his dad does and b) Hetzers hetz.  Now that he finally failed his way up to a Hetzer he has no interest in playing anymore.

Platooning with Garbad, the most expensive internet service I've ever seen. LOL

I've platooned with Orange too, he was in his KV-5. His mechanical skill was fine, equal to me. But it looked like he didn't see an opportunity to do damages. Like in Abbey, we pushed East but he couldn't realise that he could crossfire from East to guys in the Middle. And lots of mediocre players don't know that they can press + to enlarge their minimap.

Platooning with Garbad, the most expensive internet service I've ever seem. LOL

I've platooned with Orange too, he was in his KV-5. His mechanical skill was fine, equal to me. But it looked like he didn't see an opportunity to do damages. Like in Abbey, we pushed East but he couldn't realise that he could crossfire from East to guys in the Middle. And lots of mediocre players don't know that they can press + to enlarge their minimap.

Orange who?

P.s.  IKR!  $150 an hour -- that's better than your mother earns in her street corner during mardi gras!

This kind of odd mental block seems to be a trend with older military generations. I'm part of the new generation, grew up with computers and video games, but not young enough that that's ALL I had growing up. It's a phenomenon I've noticed even in every day routines of the senior Marines around me (by senior I mean 40's+, officers and SNCO's). They comprehend everything that happens around them, in some ways better than I do, they learn new concepts very quickly, they are extremely observant....but they can not focus on more than one thing at once, at all. I don't know why this is, and it's sure as hell not something I'm about to ask one of them, at least until I get out, but it baffles me. My first clan when i started playing was one of those military clans for vets, and with very few exceptions, they were all very intelligent people, but also terrible at this game, every single one of them. I have no idea how it happens. Not being a psychology student or anything I couldn't even guess, but guys like this seem to be the norm for that generation. Great guys, but not so good at interweb tonkz.

The problem in many cases lie in a persons brain. WoT (along with plenty of other games), is a very reaction based game. Some people just lack the ability to process information at the speed that the game requires and thus make decisions that are not optimal to gameplay. This by no means means they are "stupid" or "slow", and is not me calling them such. All it means is that they're simply not as fast as others. Combine this with a lack of understanding with game mechanics and you have a recipe for "innocent" red stats. Someone that wants to be good and has moments of greatness, but overall cannot compete with others higher than their level. Someone should really do a scientific study about this. Hook different people up to a machine that monitors brain activity and have them play WoT. Hello Nobel Prize?

Again this is NOT me calling people slow or stupid.

Orange who?

P.s.  IKR!  $150 an hour -- that's better than your mother earns in her street corner during mardi gras!

What a subtle yo mama joke, Garbad.

I recall this when it was first posted, interesting to see how the person has moved from 43 to 48%, thats a decent bump, especially if there is a decent battle count. 

Sounds mostly like an information processing problem - WoT does have a lot of bandwidth for the player's head, which is good for some of us. Its not that mechanically challenging, although learning to manage the RNG certainly drives a lot of people batty. But that same RNG slows it down, which is a good thing, we don't play WoT because we wanted Quake/CS/Unreal. But managing RNG is its own sort of processing problem, and even the very best can only kind of aim when they drive even with the lowest dispersing guns. 

Do you have any idea what areas they improved on over the past year? You may well not as you haven't done the tutoring thing with them as you stated at the end. I'm just curious where their progress has been.

The other thing that's strange is that the kind of high speed analysis you need to do in WoT is something that someone who drives in an urban environment does ALL THE TIME. And yes there are a lot of Red@driving types but the kind of mix of unconscious and conscious decision making you do in a car isn't that dissimilar from in your T54. It's an equivalent skill set. And almost all humans can do this to a greater or lesser degree of skill.

It's genuinely surprising that both of them struggled to perform familiar tasks that should be unconscious without a conscious effort after thousands of battles of practice. I don't know enough about cognitive learning to know why that would be. 

There has to be something in WoT that makes that particular skill difficult to execute for some people. No idea what though.

I recall this when it was first posted, interesting to see how the person has moved from 43 to 48%, thats a decent bump, especially if there is a decent battle count.

He has like 35k games played in two years.  Last year is ~16k games, overall improvement in everything recent win rate is 50.3%.

Do you have any idea what areas they improved on over the past year? You may well not as you haven't done the tutoring thing with them as you stated at the end. I'm just curious where their progress has been.

Damage went from ~350 to ~850 with tier 7 average.  I may have overstated his redness.  He may have only been 45-46%.  Or maybe it was more like 2 years ago.

The other thing that's strange is that the kind of high speed analysis you need to do in WoT is something that someone who drives in an urban environment does ALL THE TIME.

I've thought the same thing.  Anticipating how a battle will flow is no different than anticipating the flow of traffic.  But people simply can't do it.

My driving in game is pretty bad, but when it is that bad, it's because I'm figuring out something or trying to get something done. This game is the same, like, I can listen to music, hold a conversation, and still be playing the game at my level, which is astounding to some of the people I've talked/play with (these are yellows). I'm sure that if I had more concentration, I could do better, but levels are the same if I have things happening or not.

With the added bonus that the fun seems to last a bit longer too, given that these guys have improved over time ;)

Sounds mostly like an information processing problem - WoT does have a lot of bandwidth for the player's head, which is good for some of us. Its not that mechanically challenging, although learning to manage the RNG certainly drives a lot of people batty.

I've thought the same thing.  Anticipating how a battle will flow is no different than anticipating the flow of traffic.  But people simply can't do it.

I wonder how many unica are or were, at some point in their life, musicians. It seems like folks that went down that path at an early age might be more inclined to be able to process the bandwidth of information that WoT requires. I am not a neuroscientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I did have the though while navigating some metro DC traffic adroitly the other day that it wasn't terribly different from tanks and often just as predictable and depressing. But at the same time I'd rate most drivers as below what I consider competent, especially when it comes to route knowledge, using flow of traffic, lane changing, etc. 

... Huh. Very informative. I hadn't expected that result.

Well, not entirely. The inability-to-reach-a-decision-while-under-stress yeah. Just the way it worked together was interesting to read.

Thanks for posting.

imo A LOT of players are so incredible sloooooow

combined with the fact they somehow pay zero attention to the surrounding (or ``freeze``) and its often simple to pick them off one by one (or lock 3 tanks in place, on your own...)

ps: i also played some games with (dark) reds, and I see roughly the same as you do,