Victrix

The jump from blue to unicum

Ever since starting at 37% in the first 50 battles I have been interested on how to improve myself. Now nearly 500 battles later I find myself averaging about 1600-1800 a night. Could it be because I'm learning new tanks? Maybe I don't have the expertise to play the 34-3 effectively? What can one do to play at a higher level?

Keep in mind I'm still be to the game so really all I'm looking for is not tips on how to shoot better, but in general, what can a dark green/blue do to be better?

For me it ended up being similar to Kewei's method of just spamming T10s until you get good. Punishments are generally swift due to high damage output tanks (TDs/Autoloaders) and you know when you've made a mistake. (For me, every time I take a shot [unless killshot/trading 2x damage:1] it counts as a mistake). Surviving is a massive priority, because a dead tank with 3k damage done because you didn't run is less useful than a live one with only 1-2k. Reading a minimap and being able to instantly analyze an engagement and the possible results is crucial because that allows you plan out your path of assault.

(Less unicum (skill) and more purple (stats) things: Sit in the back and farm damage)

So that being said should I just make a mad dash to a tier 10 med, or take my time getting there sticking to a line?

Edit: Previously I've tried to take more shots which seem impossible at the time and plenty of time it hits.

Also lately I've had quite a few 3k and up games just as well as 0 DMG games in the 34-3 while trying to learn it.

My stats aren't any better than yours. So, I'm just chiming in because of our battle count differences.

From looking at your tanks list, I'd say sticking to the A-43 and moving up from the Object 416 to the T-54 and T-62A would be a good approach. Those are all fun tanks that can heavily influence a battle. The A-44 can be frustrating, but the rest are just plain outstanding. Definitely keep the tier 8 and up.

None of the tanks coming from the T67 are high priorities in my opinion. I find the Hellcat reverse speed nerf painful, and World of Corridors. I've been grinding the T95 recently, and the speed really hurts your ability to keep your gun active. Therefore, my stats are garbage. That complaint would apply to most of the higher tier US tank destroyers.

Luckily, I'm really not that concerned with my stats at the moment. I just want to unlock useful tanks and keep improving my play.

EDIT: Also, I was starting to regularly score purple sessions about a month ago. Personal changes have limited my playing time (e.g. work & wotscout.com). Now. I'm mostly playing at night when I should be going to sleep. I think I lose a few hundred WN8 when playing tired. I should really just go to sleep in those situations instead of continuing to play at a subpar level. My win rate plummeting from mid-60's to mid-50's was a bad sign.

If youre playing the T-34-3 then I suppose the smart line would be the 121 because you will already have a crew and be prepared for the playstyle. But in reality the easiest line to go up is probably either the newer RU med line (if you really want to skip the A-44, you will live longer), RU heavies (idk how the new KV-85 is), or the US heavies (All good tanks after the M3 Lee). You obviously know what you are doing game play wise, but some things come down to just playing thousands of battles and learning what teams do, and how to counter all sorts of deployments.

I'm also struggling to jump to purple recent.

I keep whoring my t20 and it's so easy to get purple, and then it's back to the E50M which I 2.5k dpg in. All my sessions stats list me as just over purple, but my recent keeps going down :(

The gap between blue and purple is as large as the gap between blue and green.  When I say blue, I am referring to deep blue, not the barely blues.  I say this as a deep blue player in a clan of mostly deep purples. 

Blue players have mostly mastered tank mechanics.  We know how to aim, how to target weakspots, how to hit modules, how to track an opponent, and almost never find ourselves in a position where we’re scratching our heads on how to damage the targets in front of us.  We don’t poke unnecessarily and can time our own exposure to damage based on enemy reloads.  We are focused on killing the enemy tanks.

Purples do all this, but just a little bit better.  They are very good at snapshotting whereas the deep blues are a little more concerned with letting the reticule close.  This means that we tend to take a little more damage since we are exposed longer.  While the blues are pumping shells into the red team, the purples are establishing vision and map control.  They are also pumping shells into the red team, but in a more effective way and in a more consistent manner.

We can read the minimap, react well to changing situations and are very aware of our surroundings.    Purples do this, but a little bit faster.  They are quicker to recognize and predict map fluctuations and so are quicker to respond to changing situations. 

The real difference is consistency.  Deep blues make good decisions most of the time, but derp too often or don’t react quite fast enough to have truly consistent gameplay.  We’ll go 3 or 4 or 5 games absolutely stomping people and then have 2 poor/mediocre games that bring our numbers back down closer to reality. 

TLDR: Deep blues and purples possess the same skillset, but purples are significantly more consistent in their excellence. 

Oh, and purples play an excessive number of games in the T-62a. :-D

Ever since starting at 37% in the first 50 battles I have been interested on how to improve myself. Now nearly 500 battles later I find myself averaging about 1600-1800 a night. Could it be because I'm learning new tanks? Maybe I don't have the expertise to play the 34-3 effectively? What can one do to play at a higher level?

Keep in mind I'm still be to the game so really all I'm looking for is not tips on how to shoot better, but in general, what can a dark green/blue do to be better?

400 battle blue that has no improvement at all from his overall to his recent. 7d average damage is the same as overall. talks about green/blue and getting to purple like someone that's been stuck at blue for a while.

seems suspicious.

The gap between blue and purple is as large as the gap between blue and green.  When I say blue, I am referring to deep blue, not the barely blues.  I say this as a deep blue player in a clan of mostly deep purples. 

Blue players have mostly mastered tank mechanics.  We know how to aim, how to target weakspots, how to hit modules, how to track an opponent, and almost never find ourselves in a position where we’re scratching our heads on how to damage the targets in front of us.  We don’t poke unnecessarily and can time our own exposure to damage based on enemy reloads.  We are focused on killing the enemy tanks.

Purples do all this, but just a little bit better.  They are very good at snapshotting whereas the deep blues are a little more concerned with letting the reticule close.  This means that we tend to take a little more damage since we are exposed longer.  While the blues are pumping shells into the red team, the purples are establishing vision and map control.  They are also pumping shells into the red team, but in a more effective way and in a more consistent manner.

We can read the minimap, react well to changing situations and are very aware of our surroundings.    Purples do this, but a little bit faster.  They are quicker to recognize and predict map fluctuations and so are quicker to respond to changing situations. 

The real difference is consistency.  Deep blues make good decisions most of the time, but derp too often or don’t react quite fast enough to have truly consistent gameplay.  We’ll go 3 or 4 or 5 games absolutely stomping people and then have 2 poor/mediocre games that bring our numbers back down closer to reality. 

TLDR: Deep blues and purples possess the same skillset, but purples are significantly more consistent in their excellence. 

Oh, and purples play an excessive number of games in the T-62a. :-D

This +1,000,000

I can't play consistently. At all. I will have so many monster 3k+ WN8 games each session, but always have those derpy games where I do something stupid. I'm always gunning for early lights & damage, then aggressively pushing to get a good position to punish the enemy. I then take stock and will move wherever it seems I am needed, be it down the block or halfway across the map. It's usually the decision which kills me, I make them with good intentions but..fuck them up.

Like yesterday, a game on Redshire. Tier 7 battle in a t70 with view range setup. I'm squealing with delight at the MM. Start off South, I push the north ridge 'bowl' to use my 445m VR to light enemy tonks on their side of the ridge. I pump a few hits in, light a number of TDs/heavies. I notice a lack of tonks on my side, lots of tonks on east side. So I push the bowl, roaming around the bowl peeking to light I take a hit from a stealthcat across the map. He is positioned to fire into the bowl, so I gtfo. I then realise East has died, so I relocate back to base. I guess this was my error, I should have gone back to help the t29 sooner. We then take up positions below the spawnhill by the buildings. I get a good kill on a t-34-1 that pushes my toonmate as we've set up a crossfire for things coming down the eastsidehill. My faildecision is then to push to the base of that hill, so my toonmate can hit what I light.

Alas the team had 3-4 stealthcats, and one had pushed up a few buildings away (really close) and I take a hit, along with another hit from a stealthkitty hiding on the ridge I retreated from. Tiger P now appears behind me, I'm totally fucked and die. Walked into a crossfire, but I didn't expect them to go aallll the way round.

I'll upload the replay later, but I'm pretty sure I should have just held where I was.I usually love pushing the bases of hills to proxy light. That Hellcat was just perfectly placed.

At 500 battles you shouldn't be worrying at all unless you're a reroll account.  I didn't start caring about playing well until I had 10,000 battles played.

Also, howdy Pope!  Didn't realize you were lurking around these parts.

Maybe a kind of mentor support  can be organized via the commuity for players that like to become better.

A lot of special gifted players of top clans are posting in wotlabs and they share their knowledge.

As far as I remember BULBA started a kind of mentor program but I don't know the outcome.

How about you KraftLawrence? And HippoLeif, Carbonward, all the famous members of -G- and BULBA, BULLS, OTTER and HAVOK?

... and RELIC of course.

I used to do mentoring, for quite a while actually.

I don't play enough anymore to do it though. From being on a new wglna team that practices, to watching 12 animes this fall season, to thoroughly enjoying civ5, I'm not really in a position to play that many pub games.

If there are any Purples that want to invest their time in the next unica I would love some mentoring.

WARNING WARNING, WALL OF TEXT IMMINENT (sry in advance)

400 battle blue that has no improvement at all from his overall to his recent. 7d average damage is the same as overall. talks about green/blue and getting to purple like someone that's been stuck at blue for a while.

seems suspicious.

Since I started playing I have been seeing a slight steady incline every few days, but it's starting to get to a point where I'm scratching my head about consistency. ie: running 1.7/1.8 k the whole night and last 5 games are 2.5-5k where my gun is hot through the whole game and I seem to be in the right place at the right tine, sometimes even not taking 1/2 HP the entire game. What exactly is suspicious.

Most of those games I'm not aiming in fully but around half way and just trying to get as many shots into the air as I can..

Most of the mediocre games I get tunnel vision and don't see my tank getting flanked, (I see a lot of streamers shifting to periscope), read all the benefits of it and am trying to get used to it. Working on glancing at the map a lot more, although I think I lack the hard experience of weak spots on tanks (there are so many). Not expecting pushes, or slow reaction times are also hindering me.

I have been reading wotlabs as a newspaper past 3 weeks, learning the theory, and just started to learn actual hands on stuff with the wonderful people from Kimbo, Jimbo, and Limbo.

As opposed to a steady 1700 almost every game a week ago and never purple wn8, I'm now seeing only splashes of purple games and much more 100 stat games, or 1000 games.

I have been reading wotlabs as a newspaper past 3 weeks, learning the theory, and just started to learn actual hands on stuff with the wonderful people from Kimbo, Jimbo, and Limbo.

Can confirm, we're wonderful.

Hippo pls mentor 

NAGLm5u.jpg

You're telling me that a newly created account skips tiers 1-4 and goes straight for russian meds (statpad tanks)?

Then skips tiers 1-2 and goes for locust?

Then skips tiers 1-4 and goes for the former T49 (T67)?

Give me a break. You're the most obvious shitty reroll I've ever seen.

Oh and the easiest way to tell a reroll - everyone starts improving a lot when they start playing this game, especially good players. Rerolls on the other hand, have improved for a while, but have plateaued a bit (hence feeling that it's a good time to reroll). Therefore, when they create new accounts, there's literally no difference between their overall and recent.

Like don't get me wrong, I don't dislike you because you rerolled. Many people do. But if you're going to ask for advice and shit, don't lie to everyone - just post on your main or be upfront about it.

I free experienced through those tanks because it was suggested by a friend who got me into the game in the first place. Had a LOT of trouble with the T67, and only brought the winrate up very recently, however I still cant get used to it after playing the T34 and the later A43, contemplating on selling it because the Hellcat does not look too appealing with the slow turret and no chance to bounce anything. Kraft, you are not the only person to have said that, and frankly I had no idea what a re-roll was until I was first called one....

Im positively sure had I not found the gold mine which is wotlabs, I would still be quite clueless...

So you're claiming that finding wotlabs made you improve

yet your stats show 0 improvement.

seems legit bro. i'm sure everyone believes you bro

Oh and the easiest way to tell a reroll - there's literally no difference between their overall and recent.

Confirmed, Deus = reroll fgt.

Yes, I was 37% win rate when I came in, with 50 battles. Maybe it is hard to figure this out, but I don't like being a bad player, whether it be CS:GO, whether it be some other game, I enjoy games when I win, when I do well. That victory screen is what it is all about for me. When I am bad compared to others its just my intuition to learn more, or at least as much as I can to get better. 

Hippo pls mentor 

and bibbio please mentor too :)

(I write specially for my clanmates. Not myself. I need to improve in the basics first.)

KraftLawrence, on 07 Oct 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:snapback.png

Oh and the easiest way to tell a reroll - there's literally no difference between their overall and recent.

Isn't recent the last 1000 battles or 60 day? So if one has less than 1000, would the recent not be the overall? Now would the stats not be almost identical if one has not played for 60 days, or had 1000 battles? This argument doesn't seem very valid.