Sign in to follow this  
EJVH3

My Struggle - The rise and fall of a tanker.

This was a great little read. I have started getting that "Purple obsession" stage myself, but in doing so, I feel like I have taken 50% of the fun out for me and others that I play with. I could learn a lot from you! O7

WoT is a game. There are many like it, but this one is "mine".

In all seriousness, it is what you make of it.  It is designed to get you to compulsively play, just like every other F2P or $$$/month game ever made.  So if you obsess over it and make it your life, it will take your life over.  If you do it for enjoyment and keep time spent on the game to something reasonable, the game is more fun (as it isn't your life), and your life will be better, as your life wouldn't just be the game.

I've found what appears to be a happy "relationship" between me and the game - there was a time where I was cranking out 25 battles/day for months on end.  And I think I've had one day in the last month where I played 22 games - and that was a binge for me now.  30 used to be normal, now it's unheard of.

A game can be a part of your life, but when your life becomes the game it's time to take a step back.

How are the Premium tanks these days? Have they all been nerfed to worthlessness? I remember that the Type-59 and the IS-6 were still fairly tuff upon my departure. Anything else happened to premiums since?

WG modifying premium tanks after players payed real cash for them is one of the main reasons I left the game. I really felt WG was guilty of false advertisement and fraud because of making changes to premiums after the point.

Type 59 and IS-6 as strong as ever, if not better due to the closer engagement ranges on most maps. 

Nice to know. May have the bring the Type-59 out of retirement for a test drive. I missed her so much!

UNICAType59_zps753c01d3.png

So I got to play 7 solo pub matches last night. It was really really bad and I have obviously forgot every single thing I have ever learned about this game in the past. 4 battles where on new maps to me, which didn't help. Too many times I kept peaking at or exchanging with alpha too high for the tank I was in. Each game I did gradually get better but still pretty bad. My last game I finally had a battle with over 2000 dmg in my Type 59. I ended up 4-3 with a WN8 barely over 1000, lol. I did have some fun playing though, so I might try to get a few battles in tonight after the kids go to bed. Wouldn't mind platooning up for advice and memory refreshing. Someone in game me if they wouldn't mind giving a lesson or two...especially on the newer maps.

The one thing I have failed to remember in my return...playing solo puts too much in the hands of the Match Maker. Must platoon more!

The one thing I have failed to remember in my return...playing solo puts too much in the hands of the Match Maker. Must platoon more!

Think about investing some time in a social clan. There are plenty around chock full of high-quality players looking for the odd platoon. Also, I have found that this game sucks up less of my time and energy if I play mostly in weekly tournaments or strongholds. I'll still pub-stomp to grind a new line, but I have more fun earning gold with a competent team.

I have considered joining back up with a clan. That is most likely the path I will take eventually. I have to decide if I want to be involved in CW or not before marketing myself. Right now I need to get back into the swing of this game and get the bugs out of my play. I think being in platoons will at least give me two voices in my head telling me "you are getting too far out" or "don't peak" or "that is not the smart way to go". Especially now that there are several new maps that I have only seen once or twice now since returning.

44 battles into this and starting to get the swing of things. One night I had 4 battles in a row drop due to 999ms lag on the east server, so that really screwed my kills and damage stats up for that night, not to mention I think I lost 3/4 of those battles. Other than that I have been doing a alright. I am still a bit inconsistent with damage dealt. I am still learning the new maps and do not do as well on those as I do on the ones I remember.

One thing that I realized last night when analyzing my stats was that my WN8 was terrible compared to what I thought it should be based on my damage per tier. I remembered about spot for damage and realized I wasn't getting any. So from here on out I will remember to fight from the front (not too far out) so i can maximize damage and spot for damage. Anything else I am not remembering about my play style?

Spotting damage doesn't affect WN8.

Why not, instead of worrying about what you need to do specifically to improve WN8 (damage and kills), you just learn how to win better and let the other pieces fall where they may?

Spotting damage doesn't affect WN8.

Why not, instead of worrying about what you need to do specifically to improve WN8 (damage and kills), you just learn how to win better and let the other pieces fall where they may?

Spot for damage was applicable back in the day though? I guess I need updated on how WN8 is today. Someone give me a quick summary or point me in the direction of a recent description then please.

Spotted damage is not (and afaik hasn't ever) been included in WG's API. So it is impossible to weigh it, hence why lights are all over the place and pure scouts are bad for WN8.

The bulk of WN8 is damage and kills. Farm them in tanks with low expected values and it will fly up. But you will be fooling yourself as you won't actually learn to play any better.

Spotted damage is not (and afaik hasn't ever) been included in WG's API. So it is impossible to weigh it, hence why lights are all over the place and pure scouts are bad for WN8.

The bulk of WN8 is damage and kills. Farm them in tanks with low expected values and it will fly up. But you will be fooling yourself as you won't actually learn to play any better.

Well that makes it simple on me then. Click, Click, Boom!

I will start focusing on averaging 2000 dpg. Since I only play 6-9 then that should boost me up a bit?

That should help. Just try to remember that deliberately gaming the system is breaking the system and will thus render it useless.

I.e. the metric is designed to measure performance when playing as if the metric did not exist. Decisive initial positioning is very important as it puts your gun in play early on.

I would spend some time in the training room if I were you, learning the maps. Even 'familiar' maps may have changed significantly.

That should help. Just try to remember that deliberately gaming the system is breaking the system and will thus render it useless.

I.e. the metric is designed to measure performance when playing as if the metric did not exist. Decisive initial positioning is very important as it puts your gun in play early on.

I would spend some time in the training room if I were you, learning the maps. Even 'familiar' maps may have changed significantly.

Thanks

This was a great little read. I have started getting that "Purple obsession" stage myself, but in doing so, I feel like I have taken 50% of the fun out for me and others that I play with. I could learn a lot from you! O7

This might be the pot calling the kettle black, but you might be concerned about being purple before you're actually purple. I can't pull up your noobmeter at the moment to see what you're playing so I don't know if this is actually the case, but I'd like to relate to you my tale o' purple-chasing just in case it pertains to you.

I hit purple once, dipped back down to blue, then reascended and am pushing deeper into purple territory by the day. What happened?

The first go, I was playing a lot of support tanks and scouts. Cent 7/1, WZ-132, and the Super Pershing were my staples. I learned these tanks like the back of my hand and found a playstyle that let me get a lot of damage in. I was so proud when I hit 2350 recent (purple at the time), I had to post about it in a "" thread. But I just couldn't hold on. I slipped off the deep end back into the big blue. And it wasn't because the purple threshold moved from 2350 to 2450, because I was in the upper 2400s at the time.

The problem was that my winrate was stuck at around 53-54%. Turns out, my playstyle at the time was what is commonly referred to as "padding". Sitting in the back and farming damage. Letting someone else take the heat on the front line while I hit the tanks they lit. It's not conducive to winning. To illustrate my point, let me show you my avg. spotting damage graph:

CaEzuP3.png

You can actually see where I backed away from the front line in the dip leading up to the "Finally Purple Recent" poast. If you were to look at my winrate graph, you'd see a similar dip within the same timeframe.

So how did I go back to being a blue? Solopub challenges. I saw areas in my game that were lacking.  My stats tanked because I got out of my comfort zone and realized I sucked.

Well, I've beat myself up a bit and I'm coming out of the other end stronger than I was before.

What am I getting at? Once you get comfortable, and I mean really comfortable, playing tanks... the purple comes effortlessly. I've complained about WN8 time and time again because it encourages complacancy and padding. I should know because I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I thought I was purple because my WN8 said I was purple.

I wasn't purple. I don't even know if I am now. But I do know that I am not working nearly as hard as I was the first go around and dem digits keep creeping up by the day.

So I guess the conclusion of this rambling post is this: don't worry about losing purple. Be free to take your licks while trying new things! It's going to hurt. Once things start clicking, your numbers and colors will come.

And I apologize if you've already had this revelation and I'm preaching to the choir. I just want to help make sure that other folks know that everybody has to pay the iron price before they can ascend to the unikingdom.

Not knowing you at all, but watching the evolution of your posts:

You're completely back to focusing on performance base given to you by the W8 numbers. As a green trying to break through, I understand the obsession with the numbers. It's making me far too angry to consistently play though. I think you are very likely to fall into that trap again.

Right now I focus on trying to stay alive, win, and do damage. Staying alive is key to keep me from rushing to a spot I see purples using to great effect, but being unable to pull the same skill off there.

Watching those numbers every day is going to land you back where you were. Ignore them for a week or two.

This might be the pot calling the kettle black, but you might be concerned about being purple before you're actually purple. I can't pull up your noobmeter at the moment to see what you're playing so I don't know if this is actually the case, but I'd like to relate to you my tale o' purple-chasing just in case it pertains to you.

I hit purple once, dipped back down to blue, then reascended and am pushing deeper into purple territory by the day. What happened?

The first go, I was playing a lot of support tanks and scouts. Cent 7/1, WZ-132, and the Super Pershing were my staples. I learned these tanks like the back of my hand and found a playstyle that let me get a lot of damage in. I was so proud when I hit 2350 recent (purple at the time), I had to post about it in a "" thread. But I just couldn't hold on. I slipped off the deep end back into the big blue. And it wasn't because the purple threshold moved from 2350 to 2450, because I was in the upper 2400s at the time.

The problem was that my winrate was stuck at around 53-54%. Turns out, my playstyle at the time was what is commonly referred to as "padding". Sitting in the back and farming damage. Letting someone else take the heat on the front line while I hit the tanks they lit. It's not conducive to winning. To illustrate my point, let me show you my avg. spotting damage graph:

CaEzuP3.png

You can actually see where I backed away from the front line in the dip leading up to the "Finally Purple Recent" poast. If you were to look at my winrate graph, you'd see a similar dip within the same timeframe.

So how did I go back to being a blue? Solopub challenges. I saw areas in my game that were lacking.  My stats tanked because I got out of my comfort zone and realized I sucked.

Well, I've beat myself up a bit and I'm coming out of the other end stronger than I was before.

What am I getting at? Once you get comfortable, and I mean really comfortable, playing tanks... the purple comes effortlessly. I've complained about WN8 time and time again because it encourages complacancy and padding. I should know because I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I thought I was purple because my WN8 said I was purple.

I wasn't purple. I don't even know if I am now. But I do know that I am not working nearly as hard as I was the first go around and dem digits keep creeping up by the day.

So I guess the conclusion of this rambling post is this: don't worry about losing purple. Be free to take your licks while trying new things! It's going to hurt. Once things start clicking, your numbers and colors will come.

And I apologize if you've already had this revelation and I'm preaching to the choir. I just want to help make sure that other folks know that everybody has to pay the iron price before they can ascend to the unikingdom.

I absolutely adore my IS-8, and am trying to salvage my WR in the T29, so most of my games present day are in those two tanks. I yolo scouted for 300 games in my ELC back when I was a baddie, and have gotten called a padder once just due to 300 games in my ELC with a 44% WR, which i raised to 48% in only about 25 games. I sold it after that, no more accusations :).

Great personal story and advice! I wouldn't say that purple comes "naturally" to me, because there are plenty of times where I'm just stumped as to what I can do to make a difference in the outcome of the game. However, now that I'm playing at the same level as my recent says, and frequently much better, I have studied map positions, scenarios, etc., and I find that achieving a Unicum or Super Unicum rating for my sessions is becoming easier by the day. I have the fine-tuning of my tanks on the back of my hand, and work each day to strengthen my ability in them.

+1 for you. Good luck on your side of improving as well!

We never saw eye to eye EJVH and I remember when you left, but I do respect you a bit more for writing what you did. Just keep a zen approach to the game and you should be fine.

You do have to realize Lert that most of what I wrote in the past over in the WoT Forums were just meant to be antagonistic humor. A few rages here and there on WG and its scams, also known as economy and tank balancing. I am sure you would find my personality in real life and in game much more accommodating for you.

Not knowing you at all, but watching the evolution of your posts:

You're completely back to focusing on performance base given to you by the W8 numbers. As a green trying to break through, I understand the obsession with the numbers. It's making me far too angry to consistently play though. I think you are very likely to fall into that trap again.

Right now I focus on trying to stay alive, win, and do damage. Staying alive is key to keep me from rushing to a spot I see purples using to great effect, but being unable to pull the same skill off there.

Watching those numbers every day is going to land you back where you were. Ignore them for a week or two.

Very Very Very True! If I think about the 4-5 nights that I was able to play the game since returning, the first thing I do after loging out of WoT is to run over to WoTlabs to check my stats. How to over come this?

Very Very Very True! If I think about the 4-5 nights that I was able to play the game since returning, the first thing I do after loging out of WoT is to run over to WoTlabs to check my stats. How to over come this?

Check into Gamers Anonymous? If that exists. WoT can be like an addiction :smallsmile:

That's tongue in cheek, but it's kind of true. My way to do this is to platoon with a friend(s) or play in very short bursts (2-4) games. My stat obsession came from a very different place than yours. My obsession was to play to a standard that makes it worth playing in a competitive clan. In reality, I don't want to have to be online at a certain time every night because I have other responsibilities. Now I am back to playing for fun, not to grind a tank line, not to grind credits. Overall, I'm playing better than before. Before, I was completely avoiding playing tanks that I enjoy (Cruiser IV, PZ I C) to try and get good avg dmg in higher tiers.

I still check my stats, it's an addiction, but you have to put yourself in a place where it isn't important.

Based on your OP, you have a family and a job. If I do my math correct, a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old? They don't give a shit if daddy is any good at internet tanks, really. They don't learn your game is over until you rage about it. For them, the movement on the screen means the game is still afoot. Spend more time with your kids. This game isn't worth it. Play after they are in bed and after your wife has released you to go watch her Vampire Diaries, CSI, or True Housewives of Bullshit. Play a couple games and bail for the night and then go molest your wife while she tries to watch her tv shows. That'll show her for making you clean the garage!

tl;dr You need to find your reason to play the game for enjoyment. Stat obsession is an addiction and not enjoyment.

You have, by your description, a beautiful family. When you start thinking about WoT, think about them and that will give you perspective. You don't have forever to spend with your daughters mate. At some point you become the enemy and they don't want to watch Frozen on the couch with daddy anymore because Billy has a truck and they are going to the drive in.