Private_Miros

Leo PTA - the Leoturd?

Agreed, but I also feel this tanks ability to carry is exponentially better when platooned. Last night while platooned for about 14 out of the 15 battles I played in this tank, I was averaging nearly 3k damage with about 75% WR. Because this tank is all about opportunity and positioning, you're much more able to simp the damage and influence the battle. As you can see from my last 25 game session, WR and avg dmg were both significantly less. Stereotypical, platooning means only better WR, but this tank again is very good at taking opportunities which are created for it to exploit. Heck, last night three of my best games were on Himmelsdorf, all 1st class with 3.5k+ damage survived each battle with 4, 5 and 7 kills each battle

I found platooning a PTA with two T-54s is like easy mode. The PTA races to a commanding initial position, spots incoming tanks, damages a few. The T-54s charge in and engage the enemy's attention. The PTA can continue dealing safe damage as it comes available. The T-54s can brawl in and put out deliberate damage, get kills, and win the flank. Flex and win the match.

I like this tank more than the 50 120

The fire control and flexibility are just so superb in comparison. The 3 second inner clip reload is a killer, and you never knew how much you missed elevation until it was too late. The depression I can worth with, the elevation though was just... terrible. Utterly trash

I like this tank more than the 50 120

The fire control and flexibility are just so superb in comparison. The 3 second inner clip reload is a killer, and you never knew how much you missed elevation until it was too late. The depression I can worth with, the elevation though was just... terrible. Utterly trash

Maybe in a few months. I just finished the Type 61 and I'm not really in the mood for another tier 9 paper medium right now.

Tried the Leo A for a bit on CT and it was okay but that's it. It felt rather similar to the WZ-132 tbh. I hate the tier 8 WZ.

The one thing that I really like about the Leo PTA was that thanks to the long reload I had to play more cautiously, and play it as a stealth peek-a-boomer allowing you to fall back behind cover, go dark, rinse and repeat.

Really want the PTA to feel like a great tank? Do what I did and forget you didn't have enough free XP when you got it, and play 100 games with the stock tracks and turret giving it a 12+ second reload and crappier gun handling. Then put the turret on and it is like going from a Yugo to a Benz. LOL

I am still trying to make up for the 100 game stretch of suck averaging under 1300 DPG, but I find it very easy to have high damage games now. It's softness also makes it very easy to have bad games as well. It is hard to be consistent in, although I have been doing better. I am close to the Leo and definitely looking forward to it.

So, I finished my grind on this tank and heres some things I learned:

1) This tank will teach you how to play mediums. Taking fire is HEAVILY punished

2) Seriously, dont let yourself get shot at if you can help it

3) Light tank autoloaders are the worst. Seriously, they're going to wreck this thing

4) Getting 3 Marks of excellence is still f*ing rough. I got to 93%. Proceeded to be blessed by teams with IQ's lower than the WN8 collective of IOC_1. Sitting at ~90% where it'll probably stay

5) Every player should suffer this tank. Well, not suffer. Learn to love.

6) Patience is a virtue. 

Final stats (for the grind. Keeping this tank!):

EEAZFc6.png

203 Battles

279 destroyed tanks

65% WR

2299 Avg Dmg

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Will be updating with three Mastery Class battles once Ive uploaded them to YouTube

I never really feared the PTA while playing other tanks. It was just a relatively high alpha, fast paper tank. I remember circling a PTA in my T-43, 100% confident I had him dead to rights. Now that I'm playing the PTA, I am focusing on insulating myself. I can do it in a variety of methods: Keep friendly tanks between me and the enemy or keep range between me and the enemy. I try to always have an escape route if I find myself as the frontline on mine flank. This tank just can't survive close fighting, no matter the tier enemy. A lot of it comes down to positioning. I use the initial positioning algorithm. Where is my tank best suited? What are the team comps? What is the probable deployment for both teams? Which flank has the best chance to win? Use that information to put myself in a safe position to deal opportunistic damage. 

Which brings me to my biggest dislike of this tank. It mostly deals opportunistic damage, which affect my ability to influence the outcome of the match. In tanks with better armor and usable DPM (e.g. T-54), I feel I can more deliberately deal damage to targets of my choosing. This lets me focus down and kill specific tanks, easing the task of winning a flank. With the PTA, I can deal a lot of damage, but it seems to mostly be against whatever tank is open for shots. I cannot easily choose who I damage and thus am forced to influence the match be simply dealing a lot of damage and hoping my teammates kill the right tanks. Only at the very end of the match can I deliberately damage tanks. In that case I usually have to burn my HP to get the key kills.

Edit: Added a Himmelsdorf replay.

himmelsdorf-winter--germany-leopard-prot

Added a Hidden Village replay.

hidden-village-germany-leopard-prototyp-

Great advice. I will try to keep this in mind, atm I'm struggling with sub 2k dmg per game.