Firedog119

Kharkov in glass tanks.

As the title suggests, this is about the map Kharkov. I'd like to know where some decent areas for glass mediums/ tanks are on the map to use. Think a Leopard 1 type of glass tank (my baby btw :P). There have been some spots ive found but theyre spawn specific. Heavies tanks and tds i have no problem with on that map.

All ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance!

There aren't so many specific spots I've found.  Certainly nothing repeatable every match.  Maybe something out in the field, but I rarely go there.

I think you'd be better off trying to use the buildings and alleys more.  Pop out, do your damage, and disappear again.  Then pop out somewhere else.

Keep an eye on the enemies with your third person camera, watch for when they are distracted.  Watch for opportunities to get around behind them.  That sort of thing.

This is my usual starting position. You can shoot the tanks crossing and then flex around when needed. There are lots of bushes blocking your viewrange but you can work around them.

You can also counter the enemy if they try to push through F5 (south spawn) or E6 (north spawn).

DUQgRl2.png

Kharkov is pretty dynamic. It'll all come down to shooting distracted/reloading people and good map/situational awareness, rather than knowing "good spots". Either shadow your heavies/retards and shoot after they've gotten shot or try to get flanking fire in; watch the map and look for safe openings. Nothing special, but that's all there is to it.

Maybe Gehakte can chime in since he seems to like brawling in everything :D

Seriously though, bench your leo and get a tank that has workable turret armor instead. That tank is anus with the direction the maps are going.

How2Plai as a Glass Tank on Corridors:

1.  Pretend like you are a unicum using your pubs as meat shields.

2.  Let your better armored pubs get spotted first, shot first, and draw primary aggro.

3.  Let them settle in and start banging on each other.  This may take several minutes of doing relatively little.

4.  ...and then the map opens up, giving you paths to flank, wolfpack, and crossfire.

5.  Because you are quick and have full HP, you can quickly move about wiping out isolated, distracted, wounded fatties and TDs.

The end.

How do you reach the zen like state to hang out for the first few minutes of the game waiting for it to settle down and open up? I get in the game and want to jump in the action and get it moving along.

What do you find yourself doing during those opening minutes while you wait for the map to open up and the tanks to settle in to their positions? Watch the mini-map and watch your team or is there more? 

What, if anything, can I do to help open up the lanes or find them sooner?

I usually camp for 40 seconds by watching mini-map then move to where there are the FEWEST green tanks and try to save them when I'm bottom tier. But shadowing a top tier superheavy is a option, problem is that you'll meet a shipload of enemy flak after he dies

How do you reach the zen like state to hang out for the first few minutes of the game waiting for it to settle down and open up? I get in the game and want to jump in the action and get it moving along.

What do you find yourself doing during those opening minutes while you wait for the map to open up and the tanks to settle in to their positions? Watch the mini-map and watch your team or is there more? 

What, if anything, can I do to help open up the lanes or find them sooner?

You don't sit.  You still whore cheap snipes when you can get them, you just don't take primary aggro, aka, get shot at and start peekabooming.

@Garbad is sniping still viable even if it pisses off the team? Or is that idiot pub rage that any non-TD who snipes gets?

however you're doing it isn't viable.  Of course sniping isnt always terrible in any tank, but unless knowledgeable you mostly don't end up doing anything until the game is already over.  If you are currently trying to like draw range snipe in your tiger II/e75/russian heavies stop it. please.

If people are constantly bitching at you for something chances are you shouldn't do it.  

relatively certain you aren't trollin.

@Garbad is sniping still viable even if it pisses off the team? Or is that idiot pub rage that any non-TD who snipes gets?

I'm not Garbad, but everything is situational.  Usually sniping isn't the thing to do - particularly if you're just camping and not making a move to positively affect your outcome such as getting more map control.

So, for example, in a very lightly armored tank in a city map, what you should not be doing is peekabooming, but you should be using your mobility to try and put enemy tanks in a crossfire.  There may actually be some close range fighting involved in this, or there may not be.  For example, I've occasionally taken medium tanks to the city in ruinberg and they can be  very effective - the heavies lumber up and engage, and you can poke and make a snapshot from another angle - this will oftentimes spook the enemy tanker in to making a mistake.  The basic goal is to shoot the enemy tanks when they are distracted, or simply to distract them to make it easier for your heavies to engage. If they turn their turret 90 degrees when they see you, it could be all the oportunities your heavies need to get  a shot in without facing return fire.

I virtually never try to snipe.  Even when its ok for a given tank/map, there are always 3245345345 pubs who will be glad to sit and snipe for lack of ability to think of anything else.  Why not do the things they can't instead of compete with them for the things they can do?

Polto hes suggestion is good (cheap dmg farming)

DUQgRl2.png

And else fighting near south-east square is a good tactic, rush cross the field and go ``hull down`` behind the ruble, you can spot a lot of stuff, shoot the long diagonal road from here and as long as your team can sit and shoot all should work fine (it is high risk hig reward though, if they lemming train you, ur dead and you get no support its also bb...)

And else fighting near south-east square is a good tactic, rush cross the field and go ``hull down`` behind the ruble, you can spot a lot of stuff, shoot the long diagonal road from here and as long as your team can sit and shoot all should work fine (it is high risk hig reward though, if they lemming train you, ur dead and you get no support its also bb...)

That's what I've taken to doing, at jacg123's suggestion.

Polto hes suggestion is good (cheap dmg farming) 

Cheap dmg > expensive dmg = logic? Sounds good to me.

Courtyard works with T-62A and 140 but in a tank like Leo 1 you can get slammed through the turret over and over again also if someone competes you there Leo 1 usually doesn't have the odds.

Also it's like the only area on the map where the arty can shoot but maybe with very good MM you can do that. But yeah, hit or miss position imo. 

I'm also interested in the original question, but would like "glas medium" to be replaced by ELC (of course). I am a one-shot by almost everything above tier V. I have no turret and thus can't peek-a-boom. Brawling is mostly out until the end of the match when flanking becomes much easier here. I too have taken to rushing to F6/H8 to passively spot and then take a cheap shot if stragglers keep coming across corridor or if I can abuse camo. But after that, I am often at a loss of where to go. I try to light some up for my teammates, but it seems like a very closed map to me. Sometimes (not often) I can bum-rush a heavy and ass-hug him to death (his or mine). But of all the maps, for this one I have the least secure gameplan. ELC advice for Kharkov? I have NEVER gone field here as it seems unhelpful but maybe that's my role?

You don't sit.  You still whore cheap snipes when you can get them, you just don't take primary aggro, aka, get shot at and start peekabooming.

This x 1000.

Squishy, mobile tanks are great to take into brawls... once a heavy has gotten the attention of the red team. Wait for the sound of the enemy firing, then use that mobility to wrap around your heavy and get a shot or two in before scurrying behind your heavy for protection. If you can work your way into creating crossfire, even better!

Also, depending on how the deployment goes, a squishy tank can still hold a flank singlehandedly in the right scenario. You need hard cover that you can hulldown behind and a big open area that you can cover. The hills in the NW corner are great for this, but this sort of terrain is all over Kharkov if you look hard enough. The idea is that your enemy has to hit a lucky shot to trade damage with you, while you've got an opportunity to whittle them down should they decide to push.

There's really no hard and fast "here's a good place for glass tanks" because it all depends on where the teams go. I tend to stay away from SE, personally, because there aren't a lot of avenues of retreat if your team gets overwhelmed.

This x 1000.

Squishy, mobile tanks are great to take into brawls... once a heavy has gotten the attention of the red team. Wait for the sound of the enemy firing, then use that mobility to wrap around your heavy and get a shot or two in before scurrying behind your heavy for protection. If you can work your way into creating crossfire, even better!

Also, depending on how the deployment goes, a squishy tank can still hold a flank singlehandedly in the right scenario. You need hard cover that you can hulldown behind and a big open area that you can cover. The hills in the NW corner are great for this, but this sort of terrain is all over Kharkov if you look hard enough. The idea is that your enemy has to hit a lucky shot to trade damage with you, while you've got an opportunity to whittle them down should they decide to push.

There's really no hard and fast "here's a good place for glass tanks" because it all depends on where the teams go. I tend to stay away from SE, personally, because there aren't a lot of avenues of retreat if your team gets overwhelmed.

Hence the high risk / reward, if it works, it works great, if it fails, you die (sort of all or nothing)

It seems that when I start popping out and hitting the distracted enemies it makes them aggro on me even when I am clearly not their biggest threat and they literally turn their backs to the e100, etc that they were just engaged with. I end up dead and my pubbies slay the red fools but then my team goes on to die in predictable pubbie fashion but if I dont engage then my pubbies die horrible deaths as they apparently can't trade hp for hp. Even a 1 for 1 would often be all that is needed but my pubbies generally can't manage that. I clearly have pubbie camoflage so it isn't like they think I am a good player.

What can you do to prevent the pubbie rage when you get behind them even though they are squared off against a bigger alpha enemy? Hope your pubbie kills them before they kill you or simply pass on that engagement and wait for better opportunities?

I am starting to get the hang of it as my wn8 for the past 24 hours is 2753 but my wr isn't very good over that same period. I am not damage farming or padding (playing 13 90, t-44, tigerII) but trying to do everything I can to get the win though I have had a couple of games where it came down to me and 3-4 enemy tanks and I haven't been able to carry those games yet. I am truly hoping that my wr will catch up with my wn8 at some point so trying not to sweat it.

It seems that when I start popping out and hitting the distracted enemies it makes them aggro on me even when I am clearly not their biggest threat and they literally turn their backs to the e100, etc that they were just engaged with. I end up dead and my pubbies slay the red fools but then my team goes on to die in predictable pubbie fashion but if I dont engage then my pubbies die horrible deaths as they apparently can't trade hp for hp. Even a 1 for 1 would often be all that is needed but my pubbies generally can't manage that. I clearly have pubbie camoflage so it isn't like they think I am a good player.

What can you do to prevent the pubbie rage when you get behind them even though they are squared off against a bigger alpha enemy? Hope your pubbie kills them before they kill you or simply pass on that engagement and wait for better opportunities?

I am starting to get the hang of it as my wn8 for the past 24 hours is 2753 but my wr isn't very good over that same period. I am not damage farming or padding (playing 13 90, t-44, tigerII) but trying to do everything I can to get the win though I have had a couple of games where it came down to me and 3-4 enemy tanks and I haven't been able to carry those games yet. I am truly hoping that my wr will catch up with my wn8 at some point so trying not to sweat it.

either:

- keep pressure, so they aim all the time on you (and your ``team`` can shoot them)

- fall back so ``far`` thet he turns away and shoot in the side / rear (or front)

most people are either stubborn pre-aim shitcampers, who will keep aiming for you, regardless of how much hits they take or they constantly change targets, and when facing multiple targets in head on brawl, just go for low armor / no aiming enemys, of 5 guys are all looking the same side, there will be always one doing something stupid

Also, when you get rushed shoot trask head on, 99% of the time no dmg, but also 99% of the time a detrack + tank who swings, and as bonus, a lot of people shoot the moment their tank turns (which means you can hit them again)

Thanks to all that replied. I really appreciate the advice, maps (tard proof for a tard like me), and general tactics given/tlaked about. Ill definately try some of this and see how it works.. going that courtyard in southeast.. ehh maybe not, seems a bit too risky given most of my team i get arent the best for support. I am considering another medium tank as my next ten, just need to figure out if itll be the 140, 430, or 62A.

Generally I try going field, hiding behind hills/ buildings on either side but its pretty hit and miss for me, just going to have to try thingsand see how it goes. hey, maybe ill get better as a player in the process. :thumbup:

Havent quite had this map yet, ill keep you all poasted and ill come back with questions or a replay and hopefully yall could critique maybe what im doing right and wrong. thanks all.