Angry_Ray

How... HOW can I break through the unicum barrier?

Question

For so long now I've been sitting between 2300 and 2400 recent Wn8. It has been my goal for the better part of a month to get this to 2450+ but it seems every time I come close (around 2400) I go full fucking potato and then drop back down (around 2330). I don't get it guys. I feel like I'm not plateaued, but that I'm just getting overconfident combined with bad RNG. For example, last week I was hitting 3k-3.4k nightly all week and this week I'm struggling to go above 2200. I know that I'm a blue player. I've proven it to myself. I'm just striving to break through that barrier that separates the 99% from the 99.9%. Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try I get denied by my own ego. Other times it seems like RNG has a bounty out on my head. I KNOW I still overextend. But other times I'll play cautious and smart as possible and then get raped by RNG or coincidence. Such as when I'm playing my FCM and am in a prime spot, and then get nuked by some douchebag 750 alpha TDs camping in the back of the map that were completely unexpected. Or snapshotted by someone that has to have all the stars align for their gun to actually hit me (see rhoombatards with 15cm hitting me from 500m after turning and firing). How do I avoid this? Is it possible? I wanna make it into a top 10 clan but I know I won't be able to with my current stats. Particularly if I plateau at twenty-four-freakin'-hundred.

I apologize for the negative attitude of this post. But I'm just so frustrated with this game and myself right now. I've been getting into a bad habit of not quitting while I'm ahead and destroying my stats and am at the verge of quitting for awhile. I don't want that to happen because I enjoy this game immensely, when I do well. My brain just says "hit the battle button and you'll fix your last bad game in the next one", and the cycle continues. My Win Rate is even suffering. I'm now at 57% recent. HELP MEH PLZZZ!!!

For the first time in my career playing WoT. With the most serious of faces. I'm going to ask for unicum help ingame. Not just the forums. But in a platoon. Playing WoT. I can be on whenever you want. Also. I'm begging for any tips you can give guys. I'm losing my mind here. Admittedly this is being posted when I'm a tad drunk, but it all comes from a sincere part of my sober self.

Thanks in advance to anyone for the help. Srsly.

13 answers to this question

Improve your positioning (including situational and map awareness, maneuvering and angling) and decisionmaking (e.g. target prioritization). That's enough to get light purple even if you use auto aim and shoot without a single second of letting your gun aim with AP or HE ammo.

All of that makes you sound really inconsistent and that is where a lot of blues seem to fail. Let's break your post down into the three basic things you said:

1) "I go potato. I get overconfident. I still overextend."
The answer is simply to stop going potato and stop overextending. Be conscientious with every action; every move you make should be for a reason and you should think about what the worst that could happen is when you make it. I see a lot of greens and blues make moves without understanding why they are doing it, and that's bad. If you are going to act but don't have a good reason for it, stop and figure out what you have good reason to do. If something has a fair chance to get you blown up for no return, chances are it's not worth doing. Be conscientious.

2) "RNG/coincidence sometimes beat me down. I get surprise nuked or snapshotted. How do I avoid this?"
You will always get beaten down by RNG and coincidence. The key is to (1)minimize your own failures to make up for it (point 1), and (2)learn to mitigate the effects bad luck can have by putting yourself in the right positions. This means things like not pushing up alone where four enemies can suddenly round a corner on you, and relocating every several seconds when you know arty might be looking at you.

3) "I'm just so frustrated with this game and myself right now. I've been getting into a bad habit of not quitting while I'm ahead and destroying my stats."

What is the difference in your mindset between your good sessions and your bad ones? I'm guessing you are more emotional and feeling bad about your play when you do poorly. If it bothers you when your play slips, you will do worse, so just stop playing. You can fix that last bad game in a couple hours with a clear head better than you can now, frustrated with yourself and the game. Remember that it's a game and if you aren't having fun with it then it's not worth playing.

Those have helped make me more consistent since I played like a blue. I slow my play down and try to make sure that everything I do has good reason behind it. When I get frustrated with the game I will just stop playing, or enter a casual game mode like TBs or Stronks, or just hop on an alt account. I was the only thing holding myself back, and you probably are too.

I'm in a similar boat in the 2.6k recent range...

Consistency is everything. Some people just seem to be "on" all the time. For me to remain consistent I have to limit my pub sessions to a couple of hours. I have to play when I'm actually in the mood to play for real. Thank the WoT gods for strongholds; those are a great way to extend a gaming session and derp around without it worrying me too much. Too many of my deep purple sessions became merely blurple after my patience had shot its wad and I kept playing anyways.

Taking your game to the next level requires you make a conscious decision to be critical of your mistakes and stop making them. Often I find that I just can't handle the stress and I probably just shouldn't be playing. I have to save that energy and effort for tournaments when gold instead of my precious stats are on the line.

Also, don't chase WNx. Push for wins and to do well, everything else will fall in place.

I feel like I'm not plateaued, but that I'm just getting overconfident combined with bad RNG.

Other times it seems like RNG has a bounty out on my head. I KNOW I still overextend. But other times I'll play cautious and smart as possible and then get raped by RNG or coincidence. Such as when I'm playing my FCM and am in a prime spot, and then get nuked by some douchebag 750 alpha TDs camping in the back of the map that were completely unexpected. Or snapshotted by someone that has to have all the stars align for their gun to actually hit me (see rhoombatards with 15cm hitting me from 500m after turning and firing). 

I'm not purple.  I'm not even blue.  But one thing I do know for certain is those things you type mean you've not fully accepted complete responsibility for your decisions in game.  The advice from Agamemneon is great, but it's got to be combined with full and uncompromising acceptance that if you ended up dead early, it's most likely your own fault and you need to figure out what the bad decision was that got you killed unexpectedly.

Create account: Tear Collector

Play: Arty

When you get pissed:

Play with 1.85k damage Soviet tier 7s by going to cities and corner camping. Load AP, click at the red thing, collect the tears.

Create account: Tear Collector

Play: Arty

When you get pissed:

Play with 1.85k damage Soviet tier 7s by going to cities and corner camping. Load AP, click at the red thing, collect the tears.

Then: Punch self in testicles.

I have realized that after a certain point, everything evens out for good players and the difference is not who has the fastest fingers but who has the fastest minds.

2) "RNG/coincidence sometimes beat me down. I get surprise nuked or snapshotted. How do I avoid this?"

You will always get beaten down by RNG and coincidence. The key is to (1)minimize your own failures to make up for it (point 1), and (2)learn to mitigate the effects bad luck can have by putting yourself in the right positions. This means things like not pushing up alone where four enemies can suddenly round a corner on you, and relocating every several seconds when you know arty might be looking at you.

To expand on this. A lot of my games I usually end up being too low on  HP to carry because of this. I will sit there full of regret in teamspeak saying 'I wish I had not done that' and it's something that comes with practice.

It's reaaaaaaaaaally hard to do but try and think before every judgement without compromising your reaction speed. There are some shots you *could* take but you will get trolled by RNG or whatever. These are the maybe shots I think a unicum will make the better decision on whether it is worthwhile. Frankly when I complain that I get surprised nuked or snapshotted it is genuinely my fault, sure RNG fucked me but the trick to consistency is to minimise that getting fucked. Be in full control, take a step back.

I've had a few games where I go to garage where I think 'well I should have done/not done that' and because I just sat there indecisively I lose the game.

tl;dr be fully aware of artillery/TD likely positioning for reduce surprise nuking. Sure you could hit that 62a but if you take a hit from camphard e3...it's not worth it.

Be fully aware of rng, I can probably snapshot that E100 as he is still turning his turret so will not be fully aimed in - but is a 750 alpha hit worth it? Keeping alive with the most HP possible is preferable in these situations, sure you might be 400 dmg up but it won't be worth it. You won't be able to carry with lower Hp and you will fail on consistency.

A lot of my decent games are when I'm so low HP I start to massively tryhard....this is prolly why.

etc

I hope this make sense.

I personally had that barrier. I would watch replays. More replays. Go through every move. Think through everything like crazy.. And then one day..I was like..

What the fuck are you doing? Stop trying so hard to be unicum. Play the damn game and you will do better.

That's honestly the best advice I can give you. All trying super hard and focusing super hard will make you do is make more mistakes get more mad and do worse. Turn on some nice music. Focus on the game. And forget about trying so hard. You will do better.

I personally had that barrier. I would watch replays. More replays. Go through every move. Think through everything like crazy.. And then one day..I was like

What the fuck are you doing? Stop trying so hard to be unicum. Play the damn game and you will do better.

That's honestly the best advice I can give you. All trying super hard and focusing super hard will make you do is make more mistakes get more mad and do worse. Turn on some nice music. Focus on the game. And forget about trying so hard. You will do better.

Been doing this the last two days after two horrible days of trying too hard... has worked great with over 2200 wn8 each day at least ( not great compared to others but hey, good for me :verysmug: )

two days may be just luck but hey, i wanna keep going and see how it works. I'm hoping i can stay consistant.

Ray, try to just have fun like all these insanely better players have said. It's a game and its supposed to be fun. I'm up for tooning with ya if you;d like any time. im not purple but hey i can point and click well and don't mind making lulz whille tooning. Good luck man.

Sometimes I just log in to test server. Take a tank I like and play. Without any mods, no sprem spam, just playing, no matter the outcome. I still try to do my best, but when I fail it does not matter. And... I play often much better than on "live" server. The difference is in mind and not playing for stats. No dmg/game hoarding, no xvm - omg that unicum platoon again. The only problem is, how do I get this mindset to live server? I am currently working on it. Basically playing for fun in a good way, if you know how I mean it.

Just checked my stats. 2250wn8 in last 1000. Still improving but v slowly

Great advice agameneon. I've been trying to improve in consistency for a long time and I did. I hardly get less than 1000wn8 in any game. Problem is that to get purple numbers any game around that area is still a big handicap.

One problem I see is those games where the enemy team is obliterated quickly and you just can't farm enough damage.

Then at my skill level my decission making is good if the decission is easy but I need improvement if it's not. For instance:

Tier 8 game in northwest in a tiger I. Only 4 players go south 2 of them are teal players and the only decent in the team. The enemy has 2 good players in amx 50 100. I decide to support them to defend them against full clipping. Unfortunately we found no heavies buts lots of td camping. I retreat as soon as I see it but they just rush suicide. Then they counterattack and I am swarmed. what should have i done?

I think you are just focusing on the wrong thing. I personally dont even want to have unicum stats at this very moment as i dont feel like a true unicum yet. I dont have enough experience, enough games, i still have too many derpy moments. Im perfectly fine being blue player because i know there is so much to learn, so many aspects to improve!

Focus on winning. You can farm dmg too, if it doesnt decrease the chance to win in any way. Its nice to do dmg and to have big wn8 but winning matters more. Focus on that.

Focus on being better in different aspects of the game. Focus on getting better not on having some purple number written somewhere.

If you do that, the purple number will come naturally sooner or later.