precambrian

Let's discuss mouse sensitivity and aiming! (wall_o'_text)

Its been proven over and over in twitch gaming that pros use lower/slower settings. There is a reason why high end mouses have the 50% aiming buttons that allow your DPI to get cut in half.

All these super high DPI settings are mainly not needed and most dont even have mouse pads that support anything more than 6k DPI.

But this topic has been done over and over and every time I see it the pro`s are like 95% lower speeds as arm movement is ALWAYS more accurate than micro hand movement.

Citation needed.

Yay, something on the forum I can contribute to.

High CPI(DPI) is very bad for tracking. It introduces noise to the mouse sensor, and it causes variable acceleration of the sensor dependent on speed. Don't give in to marketing hype. Find the native resolution of your mouse sensor and use that as your CPI. You will enjoy much better mouse performance.

Citation needed.

To avoid this being asked of me, here it is from a senior engineer at logitech.

Counter Strike has always been a game where the pros prefer low sensitivity because fine aiming is more important than fast movement. This is because if you aim better, your opponents will go down faster. Headshots(weakpoints) are key.

However, in Quake players preferred higher sensitivity because fast movement is more important than fine aiming. This is because BFG pwns no matter how bad your aim is.

Ask yourself which game has more in common, aimingwise, with WoT. Now, make your mouse sensitivity decision from that answer.

I use slightly lower than default sensitivity for movement and observation and hit the DPI shift on my mouse for aiming. I have three levels of dpi on the mouse but I never use the top one.

Thinking about it, the reason my mouse aim has been bad the last few days I've had flu is because my upper arms ache and restrict my movement with the mouse.

I play from Australia (250ish ping) and use a Logitech G400.

For most of the time my DPI is set at 1400, and I have a precision aiming button that reduces my DPI to just 400 when taking long distance shots.

That is a lot of text to say that you can aim better with lower sensitivities.

400 dpi with 0.2 in game here. People really underrate how important it is to be able to aim fast in this game, especially with T10 tanks with great handling. Snapping track shots or peak a booming very quickly in sniper mode will let you absolutely dominate someone who can't aim quickly. Almost nobody in this game aims for drive wheels, especially on moving targets. Even when you're sniping, aiming fast can make a big difference when you only have a 1-2 second window of opportunity.

Part of the problem is the fucking latency in this game. If you have 100+ ping and packet loss, the server reticle makes it close to impossible to aim well on anything but static targets.

I did mention I was going into detail for people who were unfamiliar with the topic. But I do agree that sensitivity is usually overlooked by people trying to improve their aim, myself included.

I actually had this issue for a while, I came from SC2 and used to use around 5000~ dpi, but when I switched over to tanks, I didn't change my mouse sensitivity for a long time.
But I did at least turn off mouse acceleration and up polling rate, etc.

But when I turned down the dpi I found that aiming at weakpoints became significantly easier, quickly being able to target wheel sprockets, cuplolas, etc.

I use 1000 dpi right now for everything, I find myself lifting my mouse a bit, but I'm used to it.
I use a logitech g9x and play at 1920x1200, going from one corner of the screen to the other diagonal is hard without lifting up the mouse.

I also use 4 monitors so I have to lift my mouse up at least 3 times to go from one side to the other. :3

edit- I claw grip.  I just realized that people probably don't have to lift up their hands ever if they don't claw grip.  I lift up my mouse with my fingers with my palm still on the mouse pad.

Alrighty, upped my DPI to 3200, dropped my windows mouse sensitivity, and lowered my sensitivities to 0.065671 for arcade and 0.108618 for sniper mode.

Took my IS-6 for a spin with the slower aiming...

Wu6aElg.jpg

THANKS PRECAM I"LL BE HAPPY TO HAVE YOUR BABBY"S NOW

You should never touch the Windows mouse sensitivity, as this will start interpolate/extrapolate the sensitivity and screw up everything. As precambrian said, keep it at the 6th notch.

http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/tweaks/dont-modify-your-windows-sensitivity

http://faq.steelseries.com/questions/101/Please+clarify+why+the+setting+of+my+Windows+Pointer+Speed+is+so+important%3F

I only recently got my first good mouse, a G500s, and I've just left the DPM at 1600... I don't feel too much of a difference compared to 800... maybe I'll try later toning down in game sensitivity and raising DPM, raising DPM alone, etc...

I have always rolled as a very high sensitivity-er though.

Insurgency, Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2, I'd stagger the sensitivity up over time everytime I got back into a game again, and it would very much help target acquisition.

Just sucked that every time I stopped playing for a while, I'd have to drop it down a bit or start over completely if it'd been a month or so.

What I did do in insurgency though is I'd bind a Low/High sensitivity to ctrl/shift to make ranged work easier.

*DPIx3 8^I

I change my sensitivity on the fly with my G400S. Tend to drop it a few clicks if sniping at extreme distances.

I generally play with fairly high sensitivity in my games, partly because I have a small corner desk and partly because I am more comfortably with small hand/wrist movements. I will rage 100% of the time if there isn't a different general aim and sniper mode sensitivity, though.

I have been using the default sensitivity for the longest time without ever thinking about it...

Last night I tried decreasing it substantially for the sniper view and I was impressed at how much smoother my aiming was.

Thanks for the tip!