Icantmove

AMX 12t Replay Review and General Guidance

Back in the game after a few months of hiatus (stopped just after learning my 21,000 83mm shells were not profitable).

Decided to push further up the French light / medium line, and made it here now. My trouble is I've never played an autoloader. I read that you play it as a passive scout / vulture / endgame tank, but I've not really done passive scouting either, only mildly successful active scouting in my T-50. 12t can't into zipping around. And I basically hadn't payed any attention to these tanks when I played my others, so I've just remained blissfully unaware.

http://wotreplays.com/site/241366?secret=84513222508b1e3173eeefbf2e66c109

http://wotreplays.com/site/241370?secret=84513222508b1e3173eeefbf2e66c109

http://wotreplays.com/site/241373?secret=84513222508b1e3173eeefbf2e66c109

I think this gives a reasonable smattering, though misses the campy thing I tend to do on Prokhovorka (sp?) and tier 10 Redshire camp-by-the-middle-houses stuff. I also tend to eat a shot once after being spotted in my bush because I don't have 6th sense or a good "feel" for it, but I do generally get out before dying.

Really enjoying the burst damage, especially in tier 7 fights.

One of the more beneficial things I think I can do is lrn2passivescout, which would involve a more detailed knowledge of sight ranges / ranges in general, which I don't have beyond a "feel" level, and a MUCH better knowledge of good bushes to hide in. I'm also not sure how to handle the pressure to suiscout in high tier games besides ignoring my team's whining. ("It'll do in a pinch" my ass. A pinch of salt and it'd do good in a stew. Suicide, I tells ya.)

Not very far into this tank (30-40 battles; ~95% base crew), but I'd rather avoid the same learning curve I had to go through in my T-50. Because nobody likes a 40% scout tank.

Mainly looking for either critique or good in-depth playstyle guidelines (or both).

-----

As an aside, I was called out for not pushing Pearl River north valley from east spawn by a player who's winrate is above my level. I haven't played in a while, but the ~15 times I did play it over the weekend, I didn't see a single successful east-side valley push (100% failure rate is pretty special). I've never tried to push from that side though ... mostly because I've seen no success in doing so; I'm not that educated here. Am I wrong to encourage bridge camping as the preferred alternative?

Ah yes, the AMX 12t. . . the only tank I ever rage-stopped-playing.

But then, I was playing it without equipment and a 75% crew because I love my elc too much. . . 

@lrn2passivescout

I'm tempted to think that the AMX ELC is a better tank to learn passive scouting locations on -- its superior speed means there's a bit more margin for error if a location turns out to be unviable and its smaller size makes it harder to spot and easier to miss.

And do you have a binocular telescope?  Because its pretty much required for dedicated passive scouts.

And, of course, in this post-8.6-bushnerf world a camoflauge net is required for any tank that doesn't want to be seen while bush-humping. . .

As an aside, I was called out for not pushing Pearl River north valley from east spawn by a player who's winrate is above my level. I haven't played in a while, but the ~15 times I did play it over the weekend, I didn't see a single successful east-side valley push (100% failure rate is pretty special). I've never tried to push from that side though ... mostly because I've seen no success in doing so; I'm not that educated here. Am I wrong to encourage bridge camping as the preferred alternative?

I've heard Quickybaby mention on his stream a few times that the northern flank usually goes to the team that seizes the high ground, and that any push needs all its tanks to charge forward until they encounter the enemy (it's astonishing how aggressive he is when pushing that part of Pearl River), so maybe in your games too many tanks held back and handed the valley to the enemy?

(15 battles is a *very* small sample size, btw).

And who exactly was encouraging a scout tank to lead a push?

Yes, I have both binoculars and a net equipped.

I like the tank. It's certainly not an A-20 or AMX 40 (the ones I've rage free-xp'd). Give it some good crew skills (esp. driver / mobility skills), and I imagine it would be pretty stompy.

-----

I was called out in my M103 in a tier 9 fight. I had just begun toying with the bridge camping strategy, and the four or five bridge camps I've seen have not only worked, they've been OP. (Camping in a T29 was particularly broken since the hump in the bridge is the Perfect Height™ for hull down entrenchment.) Chances are we would have won if we hadn't lost the river and been shot in the back.

TBH I think he was deflecting since he had pushed out with only one other guy and died after refusing to fall back when everyone said they weren't coming to help him.

All of this is off-topic, though. I learned what I wanted to know: east side valley push isn't a guaranteed fail, and I should try to take that one hill when I do attempt to push it. Thank you.

Peice of shit tank is a peice of shit.  Literally everytime you take damage something breaks WITHOUT FAIL.  Most often the engine.....which is kinda important for a scout. 

I'd rather drive an A-20 into a tier 10 fight than drive that tank in a Tier 4 fight.

It isn't quite that bad. I can post a few replays when I get home of several games where I got top xp. It's easier to get a lot of xp in tier 10 fights since doing 1000+ damage nets good experience due to the tier multiplier. And lower tier games are fun since the gun is pretty decent / stompy at that level.

I feel like I've grown past the need for advice now. The newly 100%'ed crew helps with that.

-----

What I've Learned:

To use some LoL terminology, this tank is pretty good at leashing enemy tanks. Get to one of their flanks and smack some damage into them. Use hard cover; don't be trying to rush and circle them unless you're really desperate. Usually, your allies will take advantage of the enemy when said enemy turns to try to deal with you. (Hide behind your rock or building that the intelligent you has stationed yourself near when they turn to you.) And if the enemy doesn't turn to handle you, you get that sweet damage / xp. Rinse and repeat.

Sniping at flanks works rather well, if you have enemy flanks, range enough, and safety enough to snipe.

It's good at scout hunting / killing, so long as you aren't tail-chasing.

I've taken to doing absolutely nothing if I don't have either a passive spotting position to be in or an opportunity to exploit. I'll keep myself alive in the back for when the opportunities start to open up in the mid- or late-game.* Patience is vital in this tank, more so than in any other vehicle I can remember.

I also try to be either close to allies or faster than all of the nearby enemy tanks. If I've gotten close to a Type 59 or T-71 without allied support, hard cover or not, I done goofed.

Really, really got to know how to not get shot.

I don't think it vultures that well, since rushing in to kill exposes you to getting shot at, regardless of enemy health levels. At the least, you need a stealth / surprise rearward approach to make it work.

Passive scout when you can, but don't feel obligated to light the entire enemy team if you can't do it safely. I still can't passive scout very well, but I don't find a lack of scouting ability to be a big obstacle to success. I could probably do zero scouting at all and still do decently.

There are times when suicide rushes are the thing to do to secure a win. If you don't know when this is, don't do it. ("The beginning of the battle" is never the time to rush.)

Currently at 57% after about 100 battles. I'm still learning it, but overall I'm having fun, so I give it a thumbs up.

* One game, I didn't get near the front for about 8 minutes, and by that time there were only 4 players left on each side. When I did get into the fight, I only killed one tank before I got killed. However, my kill was the clutch kill that won us the game.