CarbonatedPork

Solopub v. Pontoons: The Poll-ening

Solopub v. Pontoons: The Poll-ening  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of your total games are solopub?

2. 2. What percentage of your recent games are solopub?

3. 3. Which of these statements do you agree with? (multiple choice)

• Solopub is the best demonstration of skill.
    • Platoon play is the best demonstration of skill.
    • Clan wars and tournament results are the best demonstrations of skill.
    • Platooning makes the game tolerable.
    • Platooning is padding.
    • Platooning is fair.
    • Platooning is unfair.

This weekend, I spent a lot of time solopubbing for the first time in a while and had a rough go of it. As is my wont, I figured I'd create a poll to see how much time you guys spend in platoons.

What are you thoughts on judging the skills of others based on how much they solopub?

For the poll, you can get your solopub v. pontoon battle counts from vbAddict. Just go to your summary page, then click the "Battles" tab. This only includes the battles that you've tracked with the ADU, though.

Making the game tolerable. Yeah definitely that one. Sure it is a fantastic representation of skill if you can maintain 60% WR solopubbing, but my god the frustration levels go through the roof. You have to work so hard, meaning the pubtard failures becoming even more grating as seeing more effort fail due to the failure of others is...beyond maddening.

If I'm playing for damage I will solopub, but ultimately I enjoy winning. If you want wins you platoon. Simples.

The vast majority of my battles are solopub, but I've ever increasingly platooned as I find it's the best way to actually enjoy the game.

Oh yeah it definitely helps when you have play4fun baddies to bait with comms.

Really helps inflate the damage when you can force Dirt to suiciscout for you.

I've been doing a lot of solo-pubbing lately. My last 7 days game statistics are mostly soloing tier 7/8 and probably was platooned for ~10% of those games. Last night was my worst and most frustrating night of the week.

I find that my play is improving by playing solo, but platooning definitely makes the game more enjoyable at times.

Platooning is fun and I learn each time new things.

Most of the time it's tier 5-8.

Tier 8 solo is more or less gambling. Or you spam gold against the toptiers. In this case it's often not profitable at all.

For a big chunk of my tanking career, I was almost always platooned, but I play more solopub now than not, particularly in the last few months (Running maybe 25-30% platooned now, though that'll probably increase again)

The game is more fun platooned up.  That's really all that matters to me.

Both solo and in platoons can be a fine measure of skill, but the bar for platoons is significantly higher. I usually run mid-upper 50s in my normal mix of tanks when playing solo (My recent WR has been hanging in the 57% range when I'm purely soloing at average tier 8ish). You can usually see when I've had a platoon session of more than a few games in my weekly stats as my WR for those tends to jump in to the low-mid 60s.

But there are so many variables that affect win rate that you can't directly compare someone to another person - the  tanks you play platooned matter quite a bit. A trio of IS-6s with people my level and a bit better seem to run in to the low 70s (I used to do a lot of that grinding for credits), or an M4 HEAT derp + T49 platoon running close to 80%, whereas now, I'll even be in a platoon with 3 less than great tanks in much more difficult tiers to dominate.  Between my platoons being less IS-6ish and the much higher proportion of battles I play solo, my recent WR was at one point in the 67% range, and now it floats around 60-62%.

So, really, if you want to judge a players' skill on an objective level, you do have to consider platooned versus solo - I struggle to hit 60% above tier 6 solo, whereas tier 5 platoons used to be a thing I did a lot, and don't do at all these days.  I may not be a better player than I was before, but I play in an environment that is much tougher to win in, with much less OP tanks at my disposal.

I run between 80-100% of my matches solo per session, and as for what's the best demonstration of skill, I weight it equally. Platooning shows teamwork and ability to communicate, and solo shows how well you can handle situations. In my opinion, platooning is fair and does make the game more tolerable, as anyone can make a platoon, it's not like we have exclusive privileges.

This kinda goes with the I poasted back in June.

I really enjoy playing my scouts and squishy support tanks. Solopubbed a bunch of Type 64, FCM, and E 25 this weekend to grind credits and played decently in them, but my winrate was something in the low 50s. On the flip side, my solopub winrate for flex tanks (Leo 1), heaviums (WZ-111 model 1-4), and brutes (IS-6, Super Pershing) tends toward the mid 60s.

I think platooning makes this game tolerable not only because it's great to hang out with friends but because it opens up the stable of tanks I can play and perform well in. Even when I play with just one other person also running a squishy tank, the winrate goes through the roof.

Just came back and started playing again after a long break.  I prob solo pub about 75% of the time total but have yet to platoon since coming back (I did play a few Stronghold battles with SIMP just to say hi after the long break but that was it).

I enjoy solo play but generally won't play too many Tier X's when playing solo.  Too painful for me.

http://www.vbaddict.net/player/thesituasian-na-7846535c5a4ac45e0730bf423e26d83a

before I changed my name again, approx 7% solo.

At this point I only play this game for fun, and winning is fun.

Many of the poll options are too absolute.

For example, solo and CW/Tournament play demonstrate two different skill sets.  I've seen tournament players who are great, but fail pretty hard as soloists.  I am a I've also seen good soloists who don't do very well in CW/Tournaments.

Furthermore, the "Platooning is padding" option is not inherently true, but it can absolutely be true in certain situations.  

As for myself, I prefer soloing, but platooning can help maintain sanity.

For example, solo and CW/Tournament play demonstrate two different skill sets.  I've seen tournament players who are great, but fail pretty hard as soloists.  I am a I've also seen good soloists who don't do very well in CW/Tournaments.

Furthermore, the "Platooning is padding" option is not inherently true, but it can absolutely be true in certain situations.  

As for myself, I prefer soloing, but platooning can help maintain sanity.

Mostly because organized play style is a direct contrast to that of solo pub. The former requires map control, and aggressive/opportunistic plays as opposed to solo-pub where you need to mainly exploit your pubbies for their HP. Switching between the two require a total mentality change

The only qualities that are interchangeable between the two play styles are map knowledge and mechanical skill.

Yes, I probably should've named those options "good" instead of "best".

I've not been on the tournament scene very long so I haven't been exposed to the first group you mention, but I've been around long enough to see members of the latter group. I can't judge whether or not I play well in organized play because I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I like to think that I'll take one for the team if it means winning.

I will say this, though: I hate seeing platoonmates and teammates sniping like bitches when the fight must be won by jumping into the fray. How I feel about that player's skill largely determines whether or not I'm dropping obscenities on my muted microphone. If you've got good stats and don't want to get your hands dirty... ARGH.

rouhgly 1/3 solo i guess, but can also be less (30%) or more (40%)

By far most (platoon) games are in 2 man platoon though, easy 50% of my games is in 2-man pluton, for the simple reason that anything above tier 7 is solo half the time torture, only slowpoke tanks are solo nice to play, the rest not so much

(brit AT line, low tier heavys and prem tanks beiing the tanks which i played mostly solo)

ps: funny enough the tank si played solo have my highest winratios, i guess its because they have limited mm (T14, KV5) or are low tier (Su-85, S35, AT-8/7)

4323 solo

779 platooned

Obviously since I have 7000 games, not all were tracked.

I was 100% solo for the first several months, maybe even my first year. Then I ran across a couple of really kick ass blurples who were willing to take me under their wings. One guy was named after a cookie and the other one some kind of strange pork product.

They let me in and showed me that platooning can be fun.

I sucked at it and always felt like I was dragging them down, but I put up with it as often as they'd let me.

This led me to some random platoons. Then to joining LABS and now... I just really don't like solo play any more. I do it because I'm still very bad at platooning. I rage too much and I still find it "relaxing" to solo so I can do/say pretty much whatever the hell I want without dragging my 'toonies down with me.

But yeah, especially above tier 6... I just don't like soloing any more.

And I'll platoon with damned near anyone who will have me. It's just more fun most of the time.

Also padding. Luckily for me all of the guys that I've tooned with so far have been average+ players (thank you LABS!). It's really nice to know I can count on the guys to really try to win. It keeps at least two complete shitheads off of my team every game.

/sigh of relief.

So, anonymous Cookie guy and Pork product: thank you for initiating me into the world of platoons.

May I never recover. 

:D

I've played a fair number of solo games recently on some alts to practice my heavy play. I don't find solopubbing fun at all. It's ultimately a team game and not being able to coordinate well with people (who are mostly poor at the game anyway), gets tiresome really quickly. You see two completely isolated tanks on your side of the map against your five; you go in and take two hits while spamming "Attack!"; 2 minutes later you're one shot and have solo'd two tanks. Lovely. 

I mean it takes skill to win a lot solo, but it just feels like a skill in PvE more than anything else, whereas I'm more interested in mechanical/brawling skill personally.