Actually, at the optimal angle (max armour on face and side), your turret can still be penned by E100 HEAT if the HEAT averages or high rolls.

I had a lot of trouble with my E100 until I realised I can't play very aggressively with it. You should not be relying on E100 armour alone to win duels. Use shot baiting, side scraping, active turret armour angling (i.e. you watch where the enemy's gun is pointing and angle accordingly). The surefire method is to bait shots and then shoot the enemy after it has fired. The thing about the E100 is people know where to pen it, but the obviously pennable places (turret face) can be quite troll if you're actively angling. So use that to your advantage to get them to fail-fire, then you can punish them for failing.

I'm not that skilled with my E100 yet, but once I began playing cautiously with it, after unlocking the big gun, this thing is really quite a beast. In a brawl, you always have to be the more cautious and risk-averse one. The E100 does not (usually) reward hyperaggressive gameplay. I typically have to trade very well until the flank is won by sheer attrition.

No, pretty sure he went straight through the turret face.

Maybe I wasn't angling enough, IDK, it was hectic anyhow since there was a 3-E100 platoon and some 3 Tier 9 & 10 clickers (including a BC 155 58) to boot. Oh, and on Westfield too, a map on which I now have no idea how to brawl efficiently.

Btw, my main problem with baiting shots and waiting for peeps to shoot & bounce first before doing anything is that, in most cases, by the time you point your gun at them and actually aim a bit, they're already behind a corner or solid cover - so now you're left waiting for them to come out again, which if they're not completely dumb they will not do until you aim somewhere else.

That is why I like the E75 & ST-I - I don't have to wait to bounce first, just use the turret armor and play aggressive

If there is no other way, you can also trade shots. No big deal as you have the hp-pool and the alpha.

Even if not angled, the turret face will bounce IS-7 APCR 40-50% of the time.

Sorry for giving advice to an obviously better player, but I think I learned the E100 ways in the last 2 months.

Ah... just had a monsterific game in my E100 last night. 7K+ dmg, 7 kills. Base exp of 1501. My side had a buncha of meds and auto loaders. Enemy had 1 E100, 1 IS7, 2 Maus, 1 Jag-E100, and a bunch of other crap.

I love this tank.

One of my favorite baiting techniques is sticking my tracks out and angling/baiting the enemy to aim for my LFP, only to have them dump a HEAT shell into my tracks for no dmg. Seems to work well against less experienced enemy E100s.

Had a pretty hilarious game the other night that highlighted both the strengths and weaknesses of the tank.

3500+ WN8 STB on the other team and some other good players. Me, one random blue and some teal from Shojo are the best players on my team. It's steppes, I go west to the rocks - manage to bully an enemy E-100, Tiger 2 and 215B there with sidescraping. Have to RTB to beat down an enemy E100 there, doing quite well at this point, still have like 2/3 of my health, the tank is really performing in its role. Then the super-uni with his STB shows up, spams heat through my turret no matter what I do and I die because I was semi-in the open from having fought the enemy E-100.

Thankfully he was tryharding with food instead of AFE and a single shot from a T71 lit him on fire and cost him the game. Ended up being like a 6k damage win.

No, pretty sure he went straight through the turret face.

Maybe I wasn't angling enough, IDK, it was hectic anyhow since there was a 3-E100 platoon and some 3 Tier 9 & 10 clickers (including a BC 155 58) to boot. Oh, and on Westfield too, a map on which I now have no idea how to brawl efficiently. 

If the enemy tank is slightly above you then it negates a lot of the slope on your turret face which wouldn't be surprising on Westfield.

This thread might help you find that optimal 32 degree turret angle.

P.S.:  sr360, from watching your E-100 replays it appears you tend to over angle your turret a bit too much when sidescraping.  :P

So I finally got the top gun unlocked, and learned how to angle better, I can tell why its such a monster in the right hands. Playing around with ammo, Heat for hard targets, and AP for softer meds and lights, HE For arty and waffles sound ok for a baseline. HE has low rolled me a few times, so just wondering if I was way off base with my selections. 

Given that your AP round already one-shots arty, there is no reason to use HE against them.

Against waffles, it depends. I wouldn't gamble an HE round on the roomba or waffle iv, but a waffen in close combat is going to get slammed every time. Stick with AP unless you need an HE pen to survive.

I hit a waffle with HE last night for ~400, I was a little disappointed,  needed more boom. I did however almost one shot a  rhm later in the match so that made me feel better, :D

HE most times also pens all light tanks and many meds.

The HE pen on the E100 is very high, 80 I think.

It's really pointless to load it against anything that's not a WT E100 or a 4005, or low HP tanks that you are trying to finish off. Smaller tanks like lights and meds are obviously smaller targets, but the fact that they move so fast can have your HE shell hit tracks/spaced armor, too steep of an angle, or external modules and do less than acceptable damage, when your 15 CM AP round can either get overmatch or partial overmatch and easily pen the effective armor, doing 1/2 to 1/3 of the tanks HP in damage minimum.

It's really pointless to load it against anything that's not a WT E100 or a 4005, or low HP tanks that you are trying to finish off.

I agree. But sometimes I also use it to flush IS-7s (etc.) out of hull down positions.

I agree. But sometimes I also use it to flush IS-7s (etc.) out of hull down positions.

That's a bad engagement all around, unless it's low HP, like I said. A good IS-7 driver will punch right through your turret face every time you go to shoot him, trading 490~ for 100-300 HP of damage dealt.

Then that IS-7 has better RNG than I have. ;y APCR pens E100 faces only around 50% of the time. But I agree, it is not a situation you want to be in. Still, it happens.

One of my favorite baiting techniques is sticking my tracks out and angling/baiting the enemy to aim for my LFP, only to have them dump a HEAT shell into my tracks for no dmg. Seems to work well against less experienced enemy E100s.

tonight I learn something new, thx for the technique.

These personal missions really bring out the inner bob in me.But then there are games like these...HT-15 done and done! :D

http://wotreplays.com/site/2113430#malinovka-raikan13-e_100

What DPG should I be aiming for? I have streaks where I get consistent 2.5 - 3k or higher, making me feel like I've gotten the hang of it, AND THEN now and then comes a completely fucked up 0 damage, >50k credits lost game to make me tear my hair out and feel like rage-selling the E100. Bounce/miss everything (50B turret, I'm looking at you - and yes, it was HEAT which bounced) because fuck me. 

@sr360: Mate, I'm pretty close to unlocking the 3rd Mark of Excellence on the E75. Hell, even on the Tiger 1 (though there are so many baddies playing it, it drops down the average playing it). I think I know my way around German Heavies.

However, in the E100 I think I barely manage 1k average damage. It IS that bad for me. I can't stand the fact that every time I want to shoot someone, I lose HP. The fact that I get the most ridiculous bounces (twice from a T110E5 LFP in a row) also isn't really helping.

Still, wasn't this thing supposed to be about the armor? If I keep sidescraping all day, sure, people will bounce - but the moment I want to hit something back, I lose HP.

Also, please check out this: http://wotreplays.com/site/2095468#ruinberg-fedaykin89-e_100

Almost 2k HP lost before I could even fire a shot off. It's just freaking ridiculous, especially considering I didn't go out in the open or did anything downright stupid - just got beaten to the brawling area by a Jaegeroo, who of course pens me no matter what, followed by losing another 1k HP from a CGC, even though obviously I was close to the building wall. GFG.

I'm at 1,100+ games in my E100 at 3k dpg and 62% WR, all held back by the fact that it was my first ever tier 10. Trust me, it can be done. Right now, whenever I jump into battle in my E100, I fully expect to pull at least 4k dmg.

I'm at work, so I can't give you a detailed write-up on how to play the E100, but just taking a few things from your post I'll say this:

1) Learn the sweet angles and your life will be much easier. When angled correctly, the thing is a bounce machine. However, please note that the turret and the hull should not always be presented at the same angle. A lot of E100 players make the mistake of automatically lining up the turret with the hull when they want to side scrape/bounce. In a number of situations, this will present your turret face at a flat enough angle to pen from the front. Angle your turret and hull independently towards enemy tanks. Finding thos sweet angles just takes practiace. Also, dont forget to abuse those glorious side skrits.

2) Count reloads. This will save you a lot of HP and really piss of your opponents. Side scrap until they fire at another tank or, better yet, trick them into firing at you and bouncing (this takes practice. Make it look like you're about to make a mistake, but stop just short of actually making the mistake. This can trick enemy tanks into firing at you. They will bounce, and they you have the length of their reload to pull out and engage them). Yes, you may end up sitting there with your tank angled for what seems like a long time, but in the great scheme of things it is worth it if, in the end, you deal a 750+ dmg hit for no dmg in return. An E100 with HP to trade is a very dangerous beast. Preserve it as much as you can but dont be skitish. Then, at the end of the match, bully the shit out of low HP enemy tanks.

3) Learn how the 150mm works. Learn the travel time, learn the shell arch. Once you learn this, you can more effectly put fire on target.

4) Arty is cancer. There is no countering that. Use map awareness and appropriate cover to the best of your abilities to midigate its impact.

5) Learn how your E100 moves. Learn how it acts on different types of terrain. Keep a close eye on the map so that you can recognize when you will need to reposition nice and early. Knowing how your E100 moves will also help you will out-playing enemy tanks when in a close-quarters combat scenario.

I hope you find the information provided above helpful. If you want more details or have any other questions, just ask.

Edited by Staz211

One could argue for JOAT and dropping the large first aid kit and keeping an AFE. Dumping a Bat clip into the butt of an E-100 got me my last double-fire mission...

OK, now I think I have an idea why everyone is so hyped about the E-Hundo...

http://wotreplays.com/site/2182433#erlenberg-fedaykin89-e_100

This literally came by playing without any effort at all. Holy sweet mother of god, the potency of this thing!

Nice way to pop my 15cm gun cherry, eh?

Edited by Fedaykin89

GG! :)

RNGesus loved you this match i must say. First, no clickers on Erlenberg, and second you had quite a few high rolls (over 900).

But never mind that, it doesn't change the fact that you played well. :)