FlorbFnarb

Monitors - suggestions?

As I detailed in my thread about my laptop running hot, the diagnosis is that the screen itself is dying.  A replacement would cost about $290 plus $50 labor, so replacing it would be absurd.  I can get a 27" standalone monitor for that price, which I can then use when I eventually replace this thing with a desktop.

What brands do you guys trust?  Is there any real point in going beyond 27"?  What do you recommend I look out for as far as specs?  Any brands/features to be avoided?

Buy a TV screen, typically cheaper than a monitor of the same size.

Samsung master race.

2560*1600 (or 1440) are becoming more and more common now, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

-can't go wrong with Dell, Asus or Samsung (but still google some reviews)

-several Korean brands offer pretty decent 1440p/1600p monitors

Samsung master race.

I want high resolution.  Well, 1920x1080 at least.  That's what the laptop does natively at the moment; no idea what any future graphics cards for a desktop will do.

I want high resolution.  Well, 1920x1080 at least.  That's what the laptop does natively at the moment; no idea what any future graphics cards for a desktop will do.

It is 2014, they do make TV's that are 1080p :P

Either way, a TV that is the same size and resolution as a monitor will typically cost less. 

This is what I use as my primary monitor/TV. http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un32eh5000/

TV depends on how finicky you are and the model, but overall I would always recommend an actual monitor instead of using a TV. I got a 32" LCD HD TV about 4 years ago and found it lacking as a monitor. They might have improved since then for the job, but TVs are deigned to be viewed from further away (6-8ft in this case) and give off way too much light to be viewed at typical 1-2ft PC monitor distance. After extensively trying all manner of settings everything is either too bright or too low of contrast to get a nice image. I have friends who use their TVs as monitors but I'm very picky about my playing hardware, I'll do pixelated detail before giving up framerate, have to have a proper mouse, good ergonomics, etc.

My old 22" LCD screen burned out a year or so ago and I got a 26", no complaints. Friend just got an ultra wide monitor but I don't think WoT even supports the resolution properly.

What about LED vs LCD? My current laptop has an LED display, and all the monitors I see on Best Buy are LED. LCD going away these days?

Samsung master race.

TV's are generally worse for displaying static images. Despite the identical resolutions, I have consistently noticed TVs as having worse image sharpness and contrast. I would go with a IPS (NOT "TN") panel, and at least 1080p. There are some good Korean brands that you can get a 1600p for about 4-6 hundred. Also, 1600p master race!

Haswell's link is good.

IPS stands for "In plane switching".

TN stands for "twisted nematic"

IPS displays use a much thinner polarizer, so they have much better color reproduction when off center angles.

TN panels use a much thicker polarizer and so have much worse color reproduction when off center angles.  With larger monitors the effect can be noticeable when looking at a solid color, dead on to the screen if you're close enough (and you don't need to be all that close). But there are other differences in the technology, and TN panels update more quickly - they respond faster, cause less "input lag", switch from color to color faster so they have less ghosting - there are IPS displays that are great for gaming, but the best pure gaming diplays are TN.

If you're running on a laptop you're going to be GPU limited in higher resolutions - what's in your current machine?  If you go for a 2560x1440p display and intent to game at native resolution, odds are you're going to run in to performance problems unless you have a brand new gaming machine - and even then you're still going to have issues in a lot of games.

IPS displays are the standard in situations where quality, particularly color accuracy.

LED > Everything at this point...

LED refers to the backlighting. It has nothing to do with the type of display a monitor is.  There are two kinds of monitor backlighting: LED, and CCFL.  CCFL backlights are not in heavy use these days as they are probably more expensive to manufacture. LEDs tend to offer a slightly narrower color gamut compared to CCFLs, but for the most part the main difference is in power consumption and thickness.  The biggest features modern LED backlit displays offer over CCFLs are localized backlight dimming to enhance contrast (and pretty much nobody uses it), and screen blanking, which is a feature only seen on soming gaming monitors, where it only flashes the backlight for a fraction of a second as a means of reducing ghosting. It makes a difference, but it does not accomplish a CRT-like smoothness.

You can have an IPS display with a CCFL backlight, or a TN display with an LED backlight or vice versa. 

2560*1600 (or 1440) are becoming more and more common now, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

-can't go wrong with Dell, Asus or Samsung (but still google some reviews)

-several Korean brands offer pretty decent 1440p/1600p monitors

Don't forget, that higher resolutions tax the graphics card more, so it also depends on your current card if it will be able to handle it well or not.

Don't forget, that higher resolutions tax the graphics card more, so it also depends on your current card if it will be able to handle it well or not.

Yup. I'm already getting 30-40 FPS on WoT as it stands. Higher resolution would tax it even more, and I'd have to compensate by lowering quality, which would be silly.

Also, anything more than around $250-$300 would tax my wallet more than I want at the moment.

Many may balk at the suggestion, but check your local Craigslist for computers. I got my bare bones rig for under $200 and it included a nice authentic Indian meal; I met the seller at his job and got some fresh curry dishes and naan! He asked what games I played and installed WoT so that I could fire it up and see how it ran prior to purchase. I also recently picked up a sweet Dell 27" monitor for the wife's computer as a 2nd display, cost me $30 and she loves it. I got my 2nd display at a Savers (like Salvation Army) for $25.

Just do research on the parts if you buy used. I've learned NOT to trust HDDs or RAM, so those usually get swapped out. Most people who sell these items honestly will want you to see that they work and many gamers will upgrade and leave the OS and many games intact if you want.

Be a rebel, 1600x900 master race. If you really need framerate, you could get a 1600x900 monitor without suffering too much of a quality loss.

#givongbadadvice

AOC monitors. 1920x1080 LED ones aren't that expensive.

I run 2 AOC's at home, and 2 Dell's at work (which are like 70% more in price), and I can't tell the difference. 

Then again I'm not playing games on my Dell monitors. 

Looked at a few monitors, realized my primary requirements were:

• IPS (so no finicky-ness about view angle)
  • 27"
  • 1920x1080p
  • two HDMI inputs
  • reasonable response time so no ghosting
  • matte finish

Looked at a few monitors, narrowed it down to an Asus and a Samsung.

Got the Samsung: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-27-led-hd-monitor-black/3924024.p?id=1219094472330&skuId=3924024&pid=1219094472330

Pretty sharp. Small amount of light bleed around the edges, but not at all noticeable except with very dark images.

Moved the laptop to an upper shelf on the desk, plugged in my mouse and a USB keyboard, and plugged my computer into one HDMI input and my Xbox into the other. I had had the Xbox plugged into an old CRT TV that was so old the tube wasn't even flat, so big improvement.

FFS I'll never buy another laptop. Desktop FTW.