Rexxie

HD Tank Textures Discontinued

Info from FTR.

And now, for interesting news – Storm: “Most likely, we will reject HD resolution” (he means HD texture resolution on high-polygon models), he reasons as such:

“HD textures for one vehicle have cca 80 Mb. 400 tanks * 80 Mb = 32 Gb of textures only for tanks. 80 Mb * 30 tanks in battle = 2,4 Gb in video memory only for tanks. And then there are maps and environmental objects, so the number above can be roughly multiplied by two. Maybe in 10 years from now on, we will return to HD. When resources and internet channels are sufficient.”

This matter was already decided. Storm adds that the display of HD textures on your own tank only was the first thing they did a patch ago to reduce the stress on memory. But after calculating the total size of the game client, it was decided to remove the HD textures altogether.

Note that HD textures and HD models are different things, HD models are still being made.

Not too surprised, honestly.

Yep, just looking at the size of the download for the HD textures made me shudder a bit. My fairly baseline pc couldn't run WoT under those conditions, and it's probably for the best that they dumped the idea.

I'm surprised that they even realized that WT:GF is a paper tiger, and Gaijin's WoWP-style failure.

I don't understand what you just said.

High-res textures in high amounts will take its toll on the FPS, so this choice doesn't really surprise me.

Keeping a general texture size on at least 1024x1024 depending on tank, is good enough for me, but I prefer 2048x2048.

I have to look veeeeery close at an HD tank to tell the difference. Since the only time I'll be looking at a tank that close will be in my garage, the big textures are a bit superfluous. Max 1080p

I don't understand what you just said.

Back to being a WT fanboy on a WoT forum?

Take it any way you want, the ground forces were, and still are, a big flop.

The aircraft part is at least keeping it alive, because they already have experience in that sector.

meh, I thought at first this was for HD models and was ready to cry. ,_, but eh. I could care less about hd textures. :P

Meanwhile, in the 21st century, all other major game developers offer multi-core support to allow for high end graphics and HD modeling..G fucking G WG.

Thanks for "trying to make a level playing field" and fuck the people that have actual gaming rigs capable of more than 60 fps.  

Shfty©

I can understand the download issues, but any decent DLOD algorithm would solve graphics strain in seconds, You'd hardly even notice it on tanks if the DLOD was only on graphics and not polygons (which you wouldn't do for obvious reasons)... I'm not sure there's any way to tell without looking at the code, but I wouldn't be surprised if WoT doesn't even use culling of any type... back-face or otherwise

Meanwhile, in the 21st century, all other major game developers offer multi-core support to allow for high end graphics and HD modeling..G fucking G WG.

Thanks for "trying to make a level playing field" and fuck the people that have actual gaming rigs capable of more than 60 fps.  

Shfty©

I think the problem is that the average Russian computer is a fifteen-year-old potato.

The amount of people who can run this game at 60+ fps must be a very, very microscopic population. My thousand dollar PC only can hit that on some of the easier maps, it's far more common to be between 50 and 60 than anything else.

I think the problem is that the average Russian computer is a fifteen-year-old potato.

I'm quite happy, trying to download these updates in developing countries is painful.

Isn't that an accurate description of their developers too?

You kinda saw this coming, and I think it is a clever move by WG. I dont play with high-res textures downloaded and I honestly think the games looks good anyway. It is the low-polygon models that are ugly more than low-res textures.