Sign in to follow this  
sgtbarnes75

Ready to try heavies again ?

Hi Guys & Gals

long post sorry.

I could use some experienced opinions before I decide on my next direction in WOT. I 'am currently at a 8k + battles. But my stats are still suffering from the classic early noob late developer syndrome. I did the classic of rushing the tiers for the Tiger, Tiger 2, E75 and IS3 etc spending a bucket of credits and gold maxing them out with the wrong load-outs & skills etc, riding round in them as if I owned the battle field and getting bitch slapped badly over and over again. Sound familiar ?

Once enlightenment had bestowed itself upon me I decided that the best course of action would be to sell them all and focus myself on my stronger talents namely lights,meds and go back to the lower tiers and learn a bit.

I have been recently fairly consistently not as bad and have got my WR & WN8 up in the last 4-5k battles. I do still play my Churchie 1 & III and seem to do quite a reasonable job in them (although I hate the Church VII) and feel maybe the time is right to move on again and stop loitering in tiers 5 & 6. 

So my questions are. Should I re-buy the Tiger H and progress slowly from there back to the E75, or start completely again from scratch via the VK's perhaps (My VK3601 was largely played as a med btw). Maybe start an easier new line (American M6/T29 etc) Alternatively I do have a KV1 I blew past whilst rushing for the IS3 so perhaps move through the KV/IS lines or perhaps push past my Churchill and up through the Black Prince ?   

Please let me know what you think he best course of action would be in your opinion as I dont want to make a cock of myself again if possible. I get no pleasure from being crap or a drag on my team. Or do you think I should just "step away from the heavies scrub" stick to what you know  :D I do have a crap "damage taken Vs received ratio" so perhaps a hull down or heavy armour line might suit me better than a brawler ? (bounce lots or hide heavy)   

Cheers for reading my drivel and replies in advance !

Mark

KV-1, KV-1, KV-1. Sort your skills and habits out in the KV-1, and then qualify or re-qualify yourself on other heavies. It's capable, but not quirky; it's forgiving, without letting you get away with being a jackass.

Once you're playing adequately there, you'll be ready to learn the hull down skills of the US line, the sniper with a side of bully of the DE HTs, the naked berserker and Trogdor styles of the Soviets, French gun-and-run, and British creeping doom. But if you can't display competence in a KV-1, they'll all be pointless.

yeah if you want to like "refresh" yourself on german heavies dont go down the same line again just go tigerP line.  Also the tigerP is super sexy.

Also fuck the kv-1.

KV-1, KV-1, KV-1. Sort your skills and habits out in the KV-1, and then qualify or re-qualify yourself on other heavies. It's capable, but not quirky; it's forgiving, without letting you get away with being a jackass.

Once you're playing adequately there, you'll be ready to learn the hull down skills of the US line, the sniper with a side of bully of the DE HTs, the naked berserker and Trogdor styles of the Soviets, French gun-and-run, and British creeping doom. But if you can't display competence in a KV-1, they'll all be pointless.

This this and again this.

When you master the KV-1, you can play all proper heavies.

I would suggest KV-1 first and then when you feel confident enough move torwards the american heavies, learning the hull down tecniques. It worked quite well for me!

Btw the line you choose really depends on you and what you feel suits you best, still the start should be the KV-1 for sure

This this and again this.

When you master the KV-1, you can play all proper heavies.

I would suggest KV-1 first and then when you feel confident enough move torwards the american heavies, learning the hull down tecniques. It worked quite well for me!

Btw the line you choose really depends on you and what you feel suits you best, still the start should be the KV-1 for sure

What does the KV-1 have that is so good for learning?  Is it vs it's tier, or some other strength?

I only ask because I doubt I would have even tried that line, and might have free exp'ed to the IS3, to avoid the low tiers and get a T8 for stronks.

What does the KV-1 have that is so good for learning?  Is it vs it's tier, or some other strength?

I only ask because I doubt I would have even tried that line, and might have free exp'ed to the IS3, to avoid the low tiers and get a T8 for stronks.

KV1 has all the typical strengths of a heavy tank (armour and gun) in huge abundance, while it suffers greatly in view range, mobility and long range fighting.

Basically it will FORCE you to learn, as trying to play it incorrectly will get you punished. 

Conversely, playing it like a brawly, punchy in your facey type heavy with correct technique will yield awesome results thanks to its sheer Russian stronkness.

KV-1 has a great all round armour that you can and have to angle, it can sidescrape effectively and be hull down in some positions. These 3 techniques are the key to learn all the basics of heavy tank play.

As orkus said it laks in view range and accuracy, so it will force you to brawl and use your armour effectively against your opponents.

All the tecniques you will learn in the KV-1 will be applied to all the heavy tanks you will use in different situations depending on the tank itself, but all the basics can be mastered on the KV-1.

Once you learned the basics you can then apply them with high proficiency in other tanks, adapting them to the strong points of those tanks (ie trying to sidescrape in a T29 is usually not a good idea, so you would have to be hull down).

EDIT: additionally the KV-1 is more forgifing than higher tiers, since it COSTS less to drive and your opponents should be less competent, so small mistakes can be corrected without getting punished too much (in credits or by the opponents themselves)

KV1 Indeed. I still play mine a game or two as a warm up. It is an easy tank to learn the basics with.  It can even be effective in T7 games you will occasionally see with good aiming and some gold ammo. If you can do well in a KV1, all the rest of the IS/KV lines will make sense, because they play similar. Russian heavies in general are a lot more forgiving.  Once you get to the point of "OMG I feel like I am stat padding in this thing" then you move to the next one. Also, EXPERIMENT.  Use it as a chance to learn maps more, more spots, how to use cover. A lot of your play can be traced to situational awareness and map knowledge.  Get put in a game with 3x as many top tier heavies? Learn how to hit them without getting hit back. It will pay off later with even more fragile tanks. You can do this a lot with a KV1 because it is so forgiving in its strengths. You aren't going to vision game anyone, but you shouldnt be trying to anyways.

E100 line from the VK. VK teaches you how to conserve HP and win with DPM if you run the konish, which you need to know how to do to run the Tiger 1 well. The Tiger II starts off similar but moves towards alpha with the top 105 (don't even bother equipping the first 105, the 88 is superior in ammo cost vs dmg output) and it's armor is actually usable. The E75 progresses into a high armor/ high alpha tank, while tanking most hits with its armor, while the E100 becomes a hybrid of the rest of the line at the end, with a high alpha gun, huge HP pool, good armor scheme but with a few large but hideable weakspots. The skills you must learn to be good in that line translate well to other lines (hiding a weak hull in the US heavy line, dpm and HP conservation in the british and french heavy lines, hiding weakspots in the USSR/Chinese heavy lines, and using your armor in -most- of the Maus line)

Many thanks guys some great advice. Looks like the KV1 & up is the favorite for a restart followed by the American line. I do fancy an T1 & M6 Also thanks Buffalo for the German line advice. I think I will give the Germans a go once I have got some level of competence on the Russian & American line.

What kind of loadout on the KV should I consider please. Should I try to increase that low view range or go repairs ? I was thinking repairs, situational, recon, sixth sense in no particular order, also rammer,vents and GLD on the slots ?  

sixth sense and repairs, first. All repair if you're willing to retrain (and if so, safe stowage onto the loader at this point).

repairs, snap shot, clutch braking, sit awareness, and safe stowage next.

recon, dead eye, off road driving, camo or firefighting (or even straight into BIA), and adrenaline rush for the third.

Rammer, Vents, GLD. start with a toolbox till repair is up to speed.

sixth sense and repairs, first. All repair if you're willing to retrain (and if so, safe stowage onto the loader at this point).

repairs, snap shot, clutch braking, sit awareness, and safe stowage next.

recon, dead eye, off road driving, camo or firefighting (or even straight into BIA), and adrenaline rush for the third.

Rammer, Vents, GLD. start with a toolbox till repair is up to speed.

Thats brilliant ! many thanks. 

I will report back on how I do over my first 100 battles.

Like other I would like to add: KV1!!

But when you are ready to progress go up to the T-150 - KV-3 - KV-4 - ST-I - IS-4.

That line is MUCH better than the other heavy line (even when the old KV1S was the way it was, the T150 is better).

KV-3 is good (tier for tier), but don't expect to carry many games in it

KV-4 is well ... you know ... KV-fourtress

ST-I is just a monster and probably the best tier 9 heavy (better than M103 for sure, E75 gets close but not quite, I can't talk about the VK45 B since I don't have it, IS8, WZ and 50 120 are not the true heavies like you want)

Especially, if you want to drive heavies, this line will suit you more.

Reporting back !

Ok according to noob meter my individual win rate after 53 battles on the KV1 is massively improved but it only shows my winrate. Is there anyway I can get my individual stats for this tank. I really could do to see my damage output and WN8 average for it over the prescribed period november through to now. If its up to par I'am considering a T150 over the KV2

Big thanks in advance

Mark

Reporting back !

Ok according to noob meter my individual win rate after 53 battles on the KV1 is massively improved but it only shows my winrate. Is there anyway I can get my individual stats for this tank. I really could do to see my damage output and WN8 average for it over the prescribed period november through to now. If its up to par I'am considering a T150 over the KV2

Big thanks in advance

Mark

I'm using YasenKrasen mod to get WN8 statistic per tank. You can find it in the official forum or maybe already included in some modpacks. 

I use VBA I love that site... but I'm a statswhore (even though I am a pub / avg gamer).

I went through the KV-1 in the old days to the IS-3 (recently picked that up and went IS-8 now to go IS-7) but I much much much preferred the US line. I will take my T1 Heavy out over my KV-1. M6 vs KV-85 is not really a comparison because I only played the KV-1S at tier 6 and the M6 is the most average tank in the line. T29 over IS (and the IS isn't bad really). T32 over IS-3 I think... and I loved my M103 (T110E5 I am not used to yet, not playing that properly).

Then again the KV-1 isn't a bad tank at all.

Vents, rammer, GLD is pretty standard, DPM output over things like viewrange increase (not very effective anyway).