BigCheese256

Pip's Solo Unicum Challenge Complete (72.5%) - BigCheese256 @ IS-7

Did I just watch the most insane 3rd person shooting skills I've ever seen? Does anyone else shoot like this. Can you expound on why/how you do this BigCheese? I've seen PoV of many many many of the great players of WoT and not a single one does this, this often, or this reliably. 

Seconded. That's some of the most incredible shooting I've seen.

Yeah. Like, dude. Ive seen Jacg123 use 3rd person a lot with scouts, but thats all like close range stuff. This? Wtf. Like, gold. Pure unadulterated GOLD. Fuck that, its the fucking US Mint. 

I've been outclassed. By like an order of magnitude. 

Also, which sound mod? Does want, especially with these shitty 9.4 sounds.

Did I just watch the most insane 3rd person shooting skills I've ever seen? Does anyone else shoot like this. Can you expound on why/how you do this BigCheese? I've seen PoV of many many many of the great players of WoT and not a single one does this, this often, or this reliably. 

Let me expand and specify my question list to show how serious I am. 

Is this tactic only viable with 300+ pen guns (such as the IS-7 with APCR) ? Do higher or lower pen (or alpha) rounds effect your choice in aiming style.

Does it translate to lower alpha guns like on the meds? And medium positions/duels?

Is there a min pen at which you think its viable? 

Have you always shot this way, or was it a conscious decision?

I'm presuming you do this to lower the time you spend aiming and the time you're exposed. Confirm/deny/expand?

It appears to aim for a weak point before driving out, and then as soon as the reticle snaps-to release the shell. 

What is your hit-rate? Estimated pen rate? Does the limited exposure extend your life enough for small sacrifices in those depts to not matter on the net?

How do you do this on TDs? Do you?

I want to know...everything. 

Did...  Did I just watch 3 tanks ignore an IS-7, to make a one by one suicidal attack on a shitty TD?

WTB that level of camo.

They didn't "ignore" me as such. Rather the E-75 and T-54 shot me several times and didn't get a single penetration, so eventually just said "fuck it" and went derping after the SU-101 because they can actually penetrate it.

The YOLO IS-7 was basically a bot. Black stats so he's not even good enough to be a tomato.

Biggie, what's your take on server differences?

Very few obvious differences from what I've been able to make out. The one I have seen a quite a lot is shown very well in the Fjords battle in the OP - EU pubbies have a set path that they think their specific tank class should take. In this case, all the heavies went south, all the mediums went north and all the TDs sat on the hill behind cap. This happens very often on EU while being very rare on NA.

Another one of course is how often EU pubbies cry about gold shells and how frantic they get when they get hit by one. About 80% of my matches I got a "gold noob" or "IS-7 gold meganoob" or "you need gold IS-7?" or "learn to aim noob" comment. You'll notice this on the Tundra and Arctic Region battles I posted.

I've been outclassed. By like an order of magnitude. 

Also, which sound mod? Does want, especially with these shitty 9.4 sounds.

I use the "Thunder Gun" sound mod, with Gnomefather's engine sounds, CoH British Churchill voice pack and Crysis 2 Music Pack (I made the music pack myself).

Sadly it appears my voice pack isn't working with 9.4. :(

Let me expand and specify my question list to show how serious I am. 

Is this tactic only viable with 300+ pen guns (such as the IS-7 with APCR) ? Do higher or lower pen (or alpha) rounds effect your choice in aiming style.

- No, this tactic works with just about anything. Alpha and penetration don't effect how I aim. The only thing that does have a effect is non-turreted TDs - I tend to use sniper mode more to prevent gun bloom from the hull auto-turning.

Does it translate to lower alpha guns like on the meds? And medium positions/duels?

- Yep. Check the M60, E-50M and Leo Proto videos I linked below. There's also AMX 50B and BatChat videos on my channel if you want to check those out as well.

Is there a min pen at which you think its viable? 

- Tricky question because I rarely find myself without very high pen (I only ever play tiers 9 and 10). When I do play lower tiers it's tiers 6 and 8, and that's only in strongholds and tank companies. In tournaments and WGLNA I fire all-gold so it's not an issue.

Have you always shot this way, or was it a conscious decision?

- I learned to shoot this way. To give you a bit of an origin story I found out about World of Tanks during Closed Beta while playing "Red Alert: A Path Beyond" and the community there. A bunch of us moved over together.

RA:APB had tank combat as well and was very fast paced with 3rd person view only. After about a month or two of playing and learning the game more than half of us in that community were blues and purples.

The first tree I played (RU Heavies), I went right the way to the T9 IS-4 using purely auto-aim and yolo-rushing before finally playing more defensive and switching to manual aim, using what I learned by using auto-aim so much.

I'm presuming you do this to lower the time you spend aiming and the time you're exposed. Confirm/deny/expand?

It appears to aim for a weak point before driving out, and then as soon as the reticle snaps-to release the shell. 

- Yes. You'll see that often in how I deal with corner poking - I'll run forward to poke, fire before by reticle is even on target and get back. This gives everything but tanks pre-zoomed in sniper mode a chance to return fire, and those that do return fire need some very fast reactions. It tends to reduce my damage taken, but can lead to some shells derping into the terrain.

Sniper mode also has a way of killing my situational awareness. I like to know what's going on around me at all times. For example if I poke around a corner in sniper mode I won't know there's a friendly tomato rammed up my ass or a rock/building behind me until the enemy returns fire. If I can see that before I've even fired, I know to account for it before poking.

What is your hit-rate? Estimated pen rate? Does the limited exposure extend your life enough for small sacrifices in those depts to not matter on the net?

- My hit and penetration rates (on tier 10s specifically) are the same as any other super-purple I've compared myself to. I can extend my survival time this way with little to no drop in penetration and hit rates.

How do you do this on TDs? Do you?

I want to know...everything. 

Here's three fairly old videos to help describe that this is basically how I roll no matter what I'm playing:

My favorite was the abbey video where he actually uses zoom to hit the lower plate of an E-75 that was like 15m from him, and then a minute later #YOLONOSCOPES a Conq's cupola from like 150m.  Casually.  In an IS-7.

Neo confirmed.

That's because the E-75 armour is pretty troll, so I wanted to make absolutely sure I'd hit his lower plate properly. The Conquerer on the other hand is made of wet toilet paper so it didn't matter.

You might notice that too - whether or not I use sniper mode is often dependant on how well armoured my target is.

Posted 9 hrs ago and not a single reply, amazing, given the wealth of info. Thanks for sharing BigCheese, and for the extra videos. 

Final question, about hardware - how big is your monitor and what resolution do you run?

Excellent work.  You've left me with a new appreciation for 3rd person shooting for sure and I'll be linking your youtube channel on www.wothelp.com.  

Also I've noticed you've got some interesting mods.  I'm a purveyor of fine mods.  Please do tell where I might be able to download the British voice pack.

snip

I was manging ~3k dpg AP and only APCR for HEAT-100 becuz you get what you give, until I started playing 1 or 2 games only when I was interested, its no so much DPG thats effected its W/R, you just cant get some of the vital game winning shots in.

Excellent work.  You've left me with a new appreciation for 3rd person shooting for sure and I'll be linking your youtube channel on www.wothelp.com.  

Also I've noticed you've got some interesting mods.  I'm a purveyor of fine mods.  Please do tell where I might be able to download the British voice pack.

Thanks.

You can download the voice mod here. It's the British Churchill voice from Company of Heroes: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/359410-not-anothercoh-voice-mod/page__pid__7188913#entry7188913

My mind is honestly blown by the 3rd person accuracy. It seems like such a straightforward thing and yet I can honestly say I have never seen the degree of consistency with which you land good, solid shots at range in 3rd person from any stream/video I've watched.

And your IS-7 challenge results aren't too bad either, I guess. :P

- I learned to shoot this way. To give you a bit of an origin story I found out about World of Tanks during Closed Beta while playing "Red Alert: A Path Beyond" and the community there. A bunch of us moved over together.

RA:APB had tank combat as well and was very fast paced with 3rd person view only. After about a month or two of playing and learning the game more than half of us in that community were blues and purples.

I played C&C Renegade for 7 years. Great shit. Played the beta of APB as well.

Can confirm I can't even come close to this level of accuracy within WoT. Probably because I haven't really tried coupled with a pc that isn't living up to how much $$$$$$$$ I threw up for it, but also I just suck. 

I am going to be watching more of your replays and dropping my WN8 trying to learn how to third person shoot while grinding tanks I don't like. 

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!

Also, just a question, did you play Renegade, if so, what was your handle?

I was BigCheese256 in both Renegade and RA:APB. I'm under that tag in the Renegade X mod too.

Ah cool, don't really remember you, but to be honest I don't remember a lot of people, that shit was when i was 11-18 years old (23 now). I played as Zeglcosnp or Zeg. 

Renegade X is unimpressive to me. Rather play renegade.

But i digress.

I have a question for you if you don't mind. With running food and a ton of gold on some of these tanks that kinda require gold, how quickly are you running out of cash? And if you are running out of cash, how do you compensate for those spurts of playing gold only is7? I just seem to run into cash problems when I play the 183 or sometimes waffle spurts of games. (Not really a problem with the STB as it's normal ammunition is sufficient 90% of the time). 

I have a question for you if you don't mind. With running food and a ton of gold on some of these tanks that kinda require gold, how quickly are you running out of cash? And if you are running out of cash, how do you compensate for those spurts of playing gold only is7? I just seem to run into cash problems when I play the 183 or sometimes waffle spurts of games. (Not really a problem with the STB as it's normal ammunition is sufficient 90% of the time). 

I simply don't do "gold only spurts". I try to use prem ammo only when necessary, and in tanks which are bad without it I carry a finite amount (12 APCR in T54E1, for example). This is helped by the fact that I only ever play tier 10 - HEAT on mediums is pointless and TDs have 290mm+ pen.

The exceptions to the rule are the T110E4/T110E3 and E-100 - which do so much damage and fire so slow that the prem ammo pays for itself.

Can I also ask which mods you're using, your setup is really nice i'd like to try it out

I use Aslain's mod pack. Like all of them nowadays it's got a pick n' mix installer, so I can't really point you to each specific box I ticked.