That works. Not what I was thinking of, but it works. 

What were you thinking of?

I yearn to learn! Teach me Crabs!

That works with the 261, but the GC's gun traverse arc allows you to cover most of the map, only really needing to traverse the tank when I was switching flanks.

Being unlit for 10-15 seconds is usually longer than the average clicker's attention span.

Pretty much this plus what I mentioned earlier & erratic driving is all I got...

Being unlit for 10-15 seconds is usually longer than the average clicker's attention span.

Except for the ones with xvm.

But yes, I think going dark is quite important. Also, if its a viable option, its very good to go dark and relocate. 

Another thing, try and avoid being near anything that is an arty magnet! For example don't sit next to, waffles, 263's, purples.

See previous post.

Here is a quiz:

5 -G- points (can I give those out yet? Garbad can but he's been in the clan like 10x longer than me) to the first player who can postulate a method of getting an arty to stop camping you.

Drop tags in the middle of a battle?

Except for the ones with xvm.

But yes, I think going dark is quite important. Also, if its a viable option, its very good to go dark and relocate. 

Another thing, try and avoid being near anything that is an arty magnet! For example don't sit next to, waffles, 263's, purples.

Basically this. 

Not relighting in the same spot is key. 

Drop tags in the middle of a battle?

Also this. 

With the spam of high arc and the number of times I've been GConq'd or 304'd at ridiculous angles places to truly be arty safe are few and far between.  A few bits of advice from my frustrating experience with skybola:

• Don't assume anything in cities unless you are 100%.  Try to stick to the side of the street that is arty safe and avoid situations where you are between enemy tanks and artillery where you are caught in a de-facto cross fire. EG In Ruinberg playing the middle street heavy-lanes this often means paying attention to where the first arty shot lands and doing a quick calc of where they must be since that is a map with hardly any arty relocation. You might only have a small window to relocate early in the match.  

• In more open maps remember which houses are indestructible.  Tall buildings can often be your best and only arty cover in some open maps, so think critically about each one. EG Westfield and Fisherman's bay each have thatched houses that look very destructible but are indeed invincible. Of course evaluate these positions based on their merits with arty as only one factor, but these are all arrows in your quiver. Sometimes you just need a safe spot to break lights. 

• Most arty has almost no depression, so when going in for the kill or cleanup, think of an approach from a lower elevation. 

PS: Just saw the title of this thread and upboated. That video...

I agree a lot with the assessments that the OP makes, with one exception:  T92 is king on Sand River, Prokerovka, and Malinovka, where I prefer it over my CGC.  I also find pubbies hardest to hit since they do stupid unpredictable stuff like stop in the middle of open fields.  also, in that video, should have gone to K3.  arc over all the rocks, smash everything you couldn't hit before.

EDIT:  I'm also not really a fan of the bat arty.  sure it can relocate better than most scouts and has an autoloader, but the pitiful damage vs anything but waffles, and RNG-prone misses you get due to the lack of splash can screw you, especially with the long reload.

I agree a lot with the assessments that the OP makes, with one exception:  T92 is king on Sand River, Prokerovka, and Malinovka, where I prefer it over my CGC.  I also find pubbies hardest to hit since they do stupid unpredictable stuff like stop in the middle of open fields.  also, in that video, should have gone to K3.  arc over all the rocks, smash everything you couldn't hit before.

Yea, this is why I opened this up to people like you.. Because you know the spots and stuff. As I said I only played a few games in each so I'm still completely new to the positions and which arty is more effective on which maps. When I played the T92 I just remember getting city maps and malinovka where I was clicking enemy arties for fun rather than tanks

See previous post. 

Here is a quiz:

5 -G- points (can I give those out yet? Garbad can but he's been in the clan like 10x longer than me) to the first player who can postulate a method of getting an arty to stop camping you. 

Don't have a to 10 clan tag.

Also, go dark often, don't get spotted in the same place over and over, do not retreat in predictable routes when you get spotted, and note where the shot comes from. Knowing where the shots are coming from can help a lot, since if you know the arcs of these, you can find terrain features that will get you out of the line of fire. CGC's negate most of this, and T92's don't give a shit because they can still splash you for 500+ hitting 10m away.

If you're in something slow, RIP. Especially on prok.

I'm thinking of doing a series on "where I go, where I aim first" on maps.  taking suggestions on maps, I'll post maptactics here I guess.

For example, on prok, CGC in ideal arty positions on west side of the map either can't hit hill, or has a 4.5 sec shell travel time, on top of the aim time to relocate there.  T92 shell travel time to the hill is a bit under 3 sec, making actually landing shots based on prediction much easier.  in the CGC, it's hard enough to hit to the point where I almost don't shoot at the hill unless it's an idiot that has been stationary for something like 30 sec.

also thought I'd repost this that I put in the arty tips thread that got moved to the new user introductions:

For me, the target I fire at is usually chosen based upon how easy it is for me to hit at the moment, how hard it is for my team to destroy it, and how much hp the target has, with priority given to idiot french tank drivers who sit still, waffles, and just about anything sitting at a 90 degree angle to me, as they are often the ones to get full penned by he, especially french tanks and german boxes. So, for me, just make yourself harder to hit than the tank next to you, provided that tank is worth my gold HE. On the other hand, for those idiot xvm sniping arties, this probably wont help. If that is the case, i'd say relocating to the other side of the map constantly. If they are focusing you exclusively, dont give them a chance to preaim at your last known position.

EDIT: I did this on my phone, I might add a replay with some reasoning behind my shot choices

Tank priority:

• enough HP to be worth my gold HE round
  • Is the tank stationary, or moving predictably near where I am preaimed (easy to hit, will probably post a CW invitational screanshot of a 50b that drove in a straight line for ~150m, straight into my preaimed round.  RIP him.)
  • is the tank holding up my pubbies (this may overrule point 1, for example a 100 HP hulldown IS-7 halting my pubbies).
  • is there a better target in the area (read: french tanks, wafflecancer, or german boxes/T95/E3's) that might light soon (probably least important)
  • if I have to shift my aim to the other side of the map, how likely the intended target is to remain spotted.
  • German boxes and T110Ex often get priority if they are facing 90 degrees to me, as HE often will pen their sides for full damage (though I probably won't reaim to the other side of the map)

Some advice to avoid getting clicked.

• don't sit in common passive scouting bushes.  ex: if my south team on prok on 2 line is getting spotted, chances are I will blindfire the D/E1 spotting bush and wreck whatever T71/Bulldog/RU251 that is there.
  • don't drive in a straight line.  I've hit countless shots on blind targets (including several oneshots from near full health) because they drive in a straight line.  EX: lakeville, tanks driving from south spawn will get spotted, vanish behind the little hill, but don't change direction.  they get lead while still lit, and wrecked.
  • reverse slopes are your friend.  shots that land short or long will often miss alltogether, which is very rage inducing.  being above the arty's elevation makes this even worse (think Westfield).  Turning while moving up and down them makes leading you a nightmare.

the usual result of this is wrecking pubbies, who then either go "NS" or sperg out (usually in a funny incoherent way.  yesterday I had a JT I killed (after he went middle of field on prok) start spamming "noob autism jew clicker" after every shot I took)

TL,DR:  make yourself a worse target than the guy next to you, and I'll click him instead.  unfortunately, I seem to be the only non xvm-sniping arty player left.

Ok, all raging about arty hate aside, what I usually do to get arty to throw off their aim on me is sporadic sideways ever changing movement.  The best example I can give would be this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIc2P517saQ&list=UU5DJhnTyEO86ragb4n2keOw

It's battlecruiser basically explaining the best way he feels to throw off arty aim. (Forgive me and my horrible poasting skills)

At least I'm not the only one who tries to deal with arty. Let them kill what you can't pen (not enough pen/gun depression) or has some cover. Try to get the attention of the enemy arty. Give him a hard time driving perpendicular to his position. Be unpredictable in stop and go. Forward-backward. A bad arty will try it again and again.

Sooner or later even hardcore campers on Prok will move their TD and *pling.... targets for my camping pubbies and our arty.

Don't drive through buildings, fences, any other breakable obstacles or over trees after the game started and you drive towards your position. A good arty player will track you on your way and as soon as you get lit on a standard position ... *click and you can rage about RNG and broken mechanic.

Smart play is also how to use your arty for the win, how to avoid easy arty hits and how to weaken the red team by giving the red arty a hard time with a low value target.

I'm thinking of doing a series on "where I go, where I aim first" on maps.  taking suggestions on maps, I'll post maptactics here I guess.

on this note, would anybody be interested in a CGC replay pack for the same purpose?

Arty avoidance movements: What I found was that very sudden stops are probably the most effective at avoiding the clickers, because the low shell speed (particularly on the GC) mean that once he fires you have a few seconds to make an unpredictable movement. Also, make weird course adjustments, instead of going as the crow flies. Nothing will save you from RNG though.

This right here.  Being predictable will get you nuked all day, errey day.  Sudden stops frustrate an arty player to no end.  random turns are a minor annoyance.  But if you just randomly stop when you figure there's a round inbound, even back up for a second or two then resume, will fuck up his aim terribly.  Remember, with shell flight time as long as it is you're being led.  Stopping throws off that timing.  Knowing the Gun arc(not the trajectory) also will help you a lot.  GWE and 261 is narrow as shit, so if you can move perpendicular to the way the arty is facing, you force him to 'bloom' to follow you, making him take another ~10s to aim in on you.

This right here.  Being predictable will get you nuked all day, errey day.  Sudden stops frustrate an arty player to no end.  random turns are a minor annoyance.  But if you just randomly stop when you figure there's a round inbound, even back up for a second or two then resume, will fuck up his aim terribly.  Remember, with shell flight time as long as it is you're being led.  Stopping throws off that timing.  Knowing the Gun arc(not the trajectory) also will help you a lot.  GWE and 261 is narrow as shit, so if you can move perpendicular to the way the arty is facing, you force him to 'bloom' to follow you, making him take another ~10s to aim in on you.

This.

I'd like to help with this map with my own experiences, I've added some other common arty parking lots notated by red diamonds and the common lines of fire you can use from them. Of special interest, it is completely possible and I have multiple replays to prove you can thread a shot between the upper abbey building and the one by the ramp from the north spawn shown by the dark red circle, if you are here from the south spawn and the north arty is competent be careful of this (mostly with french or the obj 261 as they have the accuracy to do it). The A5 and K5 locations provide excellent shots on mediums or lights that rush the center at the start of the match if they load in less than 30 seconds (261, 155-55, etc), so if you like to make that play be careful of being spotted there.  

28anrqw.jpg

I have also found that I do a lot more of my damage with blind firing now, against idiots who sit still or move predictably.  I'm currently uploading my ace tanker game where I blind shoot 3 german T10 TD's, who don't move after being spotted.

I just play normally whether there is arty or not. (Ill tend to not go into extremely aggressive open spots with arty. e.g. proks fishbowl). Other then that I just don't care to avoid them, much to my platoonmates hatred sometimes(Platoonmate: "Gand wtf you're not arty safe right there" Me: "Don't care killing tanks"). 

See previous post. 

Here is a quiz:

I think the only 2 possibilities are:

- Reverse to your spawn and never get spotted again (bad for carrying games)

- Insult arty so badly that he feels the urge to leave the game to make a support ticket against you instantly (can do a few times but sadly perma chat bans are a real thing)