StephenHopkins

Really Stupid as hell Noob Question but I'm getting my ass kicked

Ok this seems like a really damn dumb question but this started dogging me back when I was driving my M6 and the ranges got longer in tiers 7+

I'm driving  mediums now and its come back to haunt me again so I've got a question, or three:

There are times when you shoot through a bush at a distant target(300m+) and there is a bush more than 15m in front of you that stays solid (ie: hard to see through, especially in sniper mode)  You've got the red outline of the tank you are shooting at clearly lined up and you shoot only to find out something (rock, part of a building, pole, column, slight rise in the ground etc) is in the way and blocked your shot... you zoom back out so you can see what you are dealing with, reacquire the target (or try to) and boom, once again you shoot at the outline but something is blocking where you shot ....meanwhile I start getting shot by the the tank I am  shooting at and his friends and its time to clear out so I either clear out or die feeling like the fool with no damage done except to the rocks, ground, trees etc......

The other scenario again involves the bush plus the one or two or so in front of it with the target at some distance but I never get a red outline because he's behind a wall that I could shoot through and do damage.  In sniper mode I don't realize it because I don't see any outline at all.

Only way I've found in either circumstance seems to be to risk a snapshot partially zoomed out so I can see the target clearly over the bush etc and hopefully line up on the target proper without using sniper mode.  Seems to play hell on accuracy at those kinds of ranges though...

Hopefully this makes sense and if there is a better way of seeing and shooting accurately over terrain with those kinds of obstacles etc than zooming out and snap shooting from the hip so to say to make sure I'm not shooting part of the tank hidden behind cover please do share.  I freely admit my nubness here and am willing to listen to any and all suggestions/advice etc on what is probably a very common sense thing to deal with ingame.

Just rereading this I'm feeling even more the noob but I thought it best just to admit that there is probably something very obvious I'm missing and seek advice, help etc.

Thanks

The red outline is pretty sketchy to tell whether or not an enemy is in line of sight. Sometimes multiple bushes and destructible cover will cause the outline of an enemy tank your aiming at to disappear. I just go with my gut in those situations. If I think the target is within my line of sight, I fire at where I think the shot will pen. Sometimes it doesn't pen, but nearly all the time it destroys their cover and reveals their outline. At which point you can aim properly for your next shot.

Destructible cover blocks the outline, bushes do not. When in doubt you can zoom out to see what you are aiming at.

But if you see an outline there should not be non-destructible cover between your gun and the target.... once there is the outline disappears.

Replay would be helpful so we can see what you mean for the first thing.

If you can't see the outline due to destructible you'll just have to estimate where to shoot, depending on the situation either by shooting the cover from sniper mode, looking over the cover using arcade view or if possible by just autoaiming.

Outline appears if there is direct line of sight from the middle of your crosshair. That doesn't mean that is exactly where the shot goes though. There could be an indestructable object elswhere within your dispersion reticle where your shot happens to go.

Don't forget that sometimes you can see over a hill, or around a corner of a building, whatever, and supposedly have direct line of sight and get the red outline of a tank, only for the shot to hit that invisible wall that is sometimes there. It could be a graphics issue as well. I've noticed it happen to me on a few occasions.

Zoom mods that go slightly beyond vanilla really help with this. That being said, aim in sniper, check if the tank is still outlined, shoot. Bushes are a pain to see through, but it's not impossible!

Thank you!  I honestly was wondering if it was just something I missed in total nublike fashion.  

Don't forget that sometimes you can see over a hill, or around a corner of a building, whatever, and supposedly have direct line of sight and get the red outline of a tank, only for the shot to hit that invisible wall that is sometimes there. It could be a graphics issue as well. I've noticed it happen to me on a few occasions.

Outline appears if there is direct line of sight from the middle of your crosshair. That doesn't mean that is exactly where the shot goes though. There could be an indestructable object elswhere within your dispersion reticle where your shot happens to go.

^^I think a combination of both of these is what I'm finding very frustrating and I thought it was just my not learning something.  

Thank you all!  The idea of possibly using autoaim just to keep a focus before using sniper mode to zoom and shoot is something I'll explore as well 

Excellent help here and thanks again for the advice :)

One thing you have to be careful about when doing double bush sniping is partial solid cover, such as tank wrecks. If a tank is hiding behind a wreck, it is still perfectly possible for your crosshair to hit a 10x10 pixel spot that technically counts as a place you can aim and shoot at but really is hard cover. Also, beware of dodgy modelling on maps (especially city maps and this goes double for Ruinberg) where you can sometimes aim and get outlines but can't shoot through, plus the other way around (outline doesn't show but you CAN shoot).

Watching a perfectly aimed shell fly towards an outlined target and bouncing off an invisible wall can make me mad like nothing else in this game.