sa1f

Type 59 - all advice appreciated

Hello there,

As title suggest, what is the optimal way to own with this 'op' tank.

Equipment i have Vstab,rammer,Gld.

Crew- Bia ,

SS,cammo

snapshot,, cammo

smoothride,cammo

Safe stowage,cammo

Some tanks straight up eat me alive like IS6s,IS3's or even t34 with the odd bounces due to derpy gun. Is there a way to pen them with 181 pen or is Gold spam there required.

Should i install optics instead of GLD for vision games?

Bascially any advice,

Ty

First of all,

Vert stabs > GLD(I'd use GLD where I can't use Vert stabs aka on TDs)

IS6 -> Can be penned in the turret roof(not sure how much you need to overmatch, its troll tho)

IS-3 -> Shoot its roof(has like ...20-30mm armor? easily overmatched) or his frontal plate when he's angling, as when you angle your pike nose it becomes useless

T-34 -> well, hope he's not hulldown, try to snipe his cupola but mostly I'd avoid fighting with a hulldown T34 as its somehow time consuming

Skills:

1. I always go repairs on mediums

2. the usual skills(like snapshot, smooth ride...)

3. I usually aka always go with BiA

4. Only then I'd pick camo

Equip:

Switch out the GLD for either optics or vents, I usually run optics over vents in my mediums.

The Type 59 might (still) be the best tank in the game but it's still a medium, and as such isn't up to going head-to-head with a same-tier heavy. Use standard medium tactics (flanking and range) when facing these opponents. 

Gun handling is the weakest feature of this tank so I use the same equipment you do (rammer/GLD/Vert Stab). Ammo considerations and shitty accuracy make this tank a poor sniper, so you're better off playing closer in to make those shots count, particularly if you have rolling terrain to take advantage of. Keep your front toward enemy, and when possible bounce shots off your noggin - highly-sloped 200mm armor is no joke at tier. 

I run about 45% APCR in an all APCR/AP loadout, though I'm considering taking this down to 40%. Running out of ammo is a real possibility so I carry no HE. APCR pen is significantly better than AP so you need to know when to switch, and as it is effectively free as long as you pen for damage you should not be shy about it. 

The Type is GREAT at taking out lower-tier tanks. If it sounds like I'm damning with faint praise, keep in mind there are excellent tanks that are not so good at this, so feel free to aggressively take out the trash :) It's also an excellent late-game finisher, as it's fast enough to get to where the fires are and tough enough to handle a straight-up fight. 

there is one thing that is really hindering types performance... its gun handling. and one thing that is somewhat a nuisance... your sluggishness.

so in order to minimize that you need to run vert and gld (vents are next to useless), third one is your choice i run rammer, but optics might come in handy.

crew skills should be - shooting and driving primary, the rest as you please, both cammo and repair are good because of long exposure time due to craptastic gun. BIA is only good if you decide to go with vents and food but otherwise waste of crew skills, presuming you want to make some credits (why else would you play it) food is no go (especially with frontally mounted fuel tanks) and driving around with a lot of APCR kinda beats the purpose..

You really should swap in repairs. Being tracked is deadly to the Type since only the front will bounce some. The rest of the tank is a nice mixture of fuel tanks and ammo racks.

Leave the GLD on it....gun handling and aimtime are atrocious. Honestly, Type is nowhere near OP as it used to be. It's quite mediocre prem tank and can be quite frustrating at times due to shit gun and overall slugishness in mobility. In it's own tier it's OPish, in T9s it starts to struggle.

Tyvm all, yeah makes sense.

So why do people hype t59? i dont understand.

Plus, i kept cammo over repair as ive seen that i dont really get tracked and imo i rather be more stealthy in type.

Ty

-7 gun dep with 210-300mm frontal turret armor, enough UFP armor (~170mm) to make it a bitch for the very common 170-175 pen tanks to fight, great camo with pretty solid view range. It's a tiny bit sluggish (at least without a small declination to pick up speed) and the gun handling and dpm are definitely not what you want on a med, but that's about all. For a pref MM T8 prem, it's kinda awesome. I'd definitely want it over an FCM in the vast majority of my matches, and the FCM gets more than its fair share of love.

i platooned quite a lot with types, and they totally murder anything on sight

easy one of the better tier 8 meds / tier 8 tanks and on top of that it has special mm

by far the best prem tank of the game (except odditys as pz 2j)

-7 gun dep with 210-300mm frontal turret armor, enough UFP armor (~170mm) to make it a bitch for the very common 170-175 pen tanks to fight, great camo with pretty solid view range. It's a tiny bit sluggish (at least without a small declination to pick up speed) and the gun handling and dpm are definitely not what you want on a med, but that's about all. For a pref MM T8 prem, it's kinda awesome. I'd definitely want it over an FCM in the vast majority of my matches, and the FCM gets more than its fair share of love.

So its the best t8 prem atm? also my equipment is it decent as im thinking to change GLD for optics for that vision game maps.

i platooned quite a lot with types, and they totally murder anything on sight

easy one of the better tier 8 meds / tier 8 tanks and on top of that it has special mm

by far the best prem tank of the game (except odditys as pz 2j)

I have trouble with its gun handling..sometimes it just derps you and do they run apcr? sometimes ap shell with bad acc makes the shots hit you instead, thats how bent and slow they are.

So its the best t8 prem atm? also my equipment is it decent as im thinking to change GLD for optics for that vision game maps.

I have trouble with its gun handling..sometimes it just derps you and do they run apcr? sometimes ap shell with bad acc makes the shots hit you instead, thats how bent and slow they are.

I gues they do

What makes a difference perhaps is that they all use V-stab and either GLD or vents, optics on a type is simply wrong, your not a spotter, your a bully / brawler and for that optics is not needed

So its the best t8 prem atm? also my equipment is it decent as im thinking to change GLD for optics for that vision game maps

Best prem for general use, maybe, kinda. APCR IS-6 is still top dog imho, T8 meds aren't that great in general, being a pref 8 heavy is just better even if you're not as good as some of your peers (IS-3, for example).

I gues they do

What makes a difference perhaps is that they all use V-stab and either GLD or vents, optics on a type is simply wrong, your not a spotter, your a bully / brawler and for that optics is not needed

Although that is true, for early spots, or even bush abuse, wouldnt optics be more viable since its like a over buffed t44 and everyone says t44 is a excellent scout for t9/10 games.

Best prem for general use, maybe, kinda. APCR IS-6 is still top dog imho, T8 meds aren't that great in general, being a pref 8 heavy is just better even if you're not as good as some of your peers (IS-3, for example).

So i was wondering, what are people crazy for type 59? i dont get it.

Its the only real T8 med that doesnt just use a gimmick (T-34-3), and for general use its the best T8 prem in the game. It might not win as often as the IS-6, but it does make good credit and is much, much more fun (which means you play more which means you earn more).

Used long time vent/vert/rammer but nowadays optics/vert/rammer. Optics is just too valuable especially solo, in lot of maps its important to get initial spots and damage from very near start of match and often using those good spots absolutely demands optics to see enemies. It was like 2nd game after switching to optics I got 2,656 exp record with type59, hard to go back after that :) And that record would not have happened without optics.

Maybe with food could drop optics and use vent again. Or maybe gld but it does so little.

I like optics over gld as well. The Type hasn't gotten the best viewrange and a lot of the standard spots (for example Lakeville middle) require a maxed out viewrange.

Originally I skilled camo before repair on this tank but in retrospective this was a mistake. The Type is most effective at close-mid ranges (shitty gun-handling). Being able to get the tracks up before an enemy can get his second shot off is vital for such a playstyle. The Type is still a great spotter and very stealthy but the bad gun handling makes long range sniping an ineffective playstyle. BiA isn't worthwhile prior to the 3rd skill and even then you might still prefer to put it off. The improved gunhandling is nice but there are just too many other skills that take precedence: sixth sense, safe stowage, repair, camo, snapshot, ...

The armour will not withstand the better tier VIII guns unless you position your tank optimally. Sidescraping works well but you have to use very steep angles. Hulldown is even better. However there are some guns that can pen your turret front (tier VIII TD guns and most tier IXs).

Last but not least: the Type is not OP. Bad gunhandling and sluggish movement are major downsides. It is nothing but an average tier VIII med. But unlike the competition it enjoys pref MM. In my humble opinion this make the Type 59 the third best tier VIII med (Object 416 and Pershing are the two best tier VIII meds and - even without perf MM - superior to the Type 59).